IndyWatch DIY and Building Feed Archiver

Go Back:30 Days | 7 Days | 2 Days | 1 Day

IndyWatch DIY and Building Feed Today.

Go Forward:1 Day | 2 Days | 7 Days | 30 Days

IndyWatch DIY and Building Feed was generated at Community Resources IndyWatch.

Thursday, 15 September

00:00

Design*Sponge Book Tour: SEATTLE! Design*Sponge

itcow_booktour_promos_cities_seattle-1

I will never forget the first time I traveled to Seattle. It was 2007 and I was in town for a Biz Ladies meetup. In my downtime I decided to sit by the water and have fish chowder (in a sourdough bowl- man I miss those!). As the fog cleared I caught my first glimpse of the Olympic Mountains and my jaw hit the floor. I have never seen natural beauty like that and couldn’t believe that people in Seattle got to have all of that and an amazing city. So I’m thrilled to be heading back to Seattle on Tuesday, October 18th for our stop on the In the Company of Women book tour!

I’m going to be joined on stage by some incredibly talented local business owners: Molly Wizenberg (of OrangetteDelancey and Homemade Life), Moorea Seal, Arianne Foulks (of Aeolida) and Dana Tanamachi (who recently moved from NYC to Seattle!).

We’ll be at the Palace Ballroom with Book Larder, discussing life, work and how each of these incredible women got where they are today. They’ll be sharing their advice for starting and sustaining your own business and I can’t wait to sit down and talk with them.

Grab your ticket here! Each ticket includes a copy of In the Company of Women, the panel discussion and a book signing after, and, while supplies last, an illustrated tote designed by Libby VanderPloeg (who did the drawing above, too!). See you in Seattle! xo, grace

*Click here to pre-order the book (worldw...

Wednesday, 14 September

22:30

My Mission to Bring Easier PCB Fabrication to Egypt Make: DIY Projects and Ideas for Makers

projecta-2Moamen Ayman had to leave Egypt to continue his microcontroller education, but now he's trying to make electronics and PCBs easier at home.

Read more on MAKE

The post My Mission to Bring Easier PCB Fabrication to Egypt appeared first on Make: DIY Projects and Ideas for Makers.

22:00

Perler Beads Go 3D with This Incredible Pokemon Diorama Make: DIY Projects and Ideas for Makers

pokehouseInspired by the original Pokemon Red and Pokemon Blue gameboy games, the Christina Garret created this incredible diorama out of perler beads.

Read more on MAKE

The post Perler Beads Go 3D with This Incredible Pokemon Diorama appeared first on Make: DIY Projects and Ideas for Makers.

14:02

Purging gets fun, thanks to my new bidding site hobby Funky Junk Interiors

old market signOld sign playroom Sign went for $115 When I came home from Hawaii this past summer, while the holiday blues didn’t hit, one thing sure did. I noticed I flat out had too. much. stuff. I knew this of course before the trip. You know how you keep replaying the same thing in your head, “I […]

The post Purging gets fun, thanks to my new bidding site hobby appeared first on Funky Junk Interiors.

10:02

OpEdNews: Earthquake-Resistant in the Himalayas

Villagers and Good Earth Nepal team building an earthbag school in Agra, Makwanpur, Nepal

Villagers and Good Earth Nepal team building an earthbag school in Agra, Makwanpur, Nepal

“My guest today is Kateryna Zemskova, CEO and co-founder of Good Earth Nepal.

Joan Brunwasser: Welcome to OpEdNews, Kateryna. I’m quite sure that most of our readers have not heard of your organization. Can you tell us a bit about it?

Kateryna Zemskova: Hi, Joan. Good Earth Nepal is a New York-based non-profit organization we established after the devastating 2015 Nepal earthquake. We teach villagers in the most remote areas of the Himalayas to rebuild their own homes and schools using Earthbag technology, a construction technique which employs ordinary soil from the worksite to build safe, inexpensive and eco-friendly structures.

Our team of Nepali architects and engineers work side by side with families and village builders, helping them rebuild structures destroyed by the earthquake and giving them the skills they need to initiate their own Earthbag projects. We also work with architectural and engineering universities, and from our Kathmandu headquarters have given intensive Earthbag workshops to several hundred Nepali citizens, without charge.
Earthbag technology is an inexpensive, simple and sustainable method for building structures.

Having evolved from military bunker construction and flood control methods, Earthbag buildings are notable for their ability to endure fire, flood, wind, earthquake and vermin, and are used in disaster-prone zones all over the world.

In Nepal, 55 Earthbag buildings survived a 7.8 magnitude earthquake with no structural damage.

Because Earthbag technology makes minimal use of cement, concrete, steel and timber-and the fuel needed to transport them-the technique is easy on the environment, and doesn’t deplete scarce natural resources.

Earthbag technology also requires less expertise than more traditional building methods, and only the simplest of tools.

Joan Brunwasser: What else would you like to discuss before we wrap this up?

Kateryna Zemskova: The best part of what I do is seeing how fast the Earthbag idea is spreading, especially in the developing countries that need it most. In India, for example, we recently partnered with a leading engineering university, with multiple campuses. We’ll be doing a lecture tour, and designed a beautiful model canteen, to be built on their campus. We’ll supervise the students as they build it and when they’re done, they’ll go on to build their own Earthbag structures. We’ve also received inquiries from organizations working in Haiti and Africa. Anywhere people need affordable, eco-friendly housing that stands up to earthquakes and typhoons, Earthbags are a good option.”

More at OpEdNews

03:00

The Beauty of Self-Care: Lesson Two – Purpose Design*Sponge

pattern_007_original-668x668

There are pivotal moments in our life that teach us things we remember for a lifetime. I learned a very useful skill at the age of 15 while working as a waitress. I lied about my age to get the job and after a few days of work, it was clear that I had no idea what I was doing. No one complained, they just flagged me down a lot asking for things I didn’t think to bring them. A very seasoned line cook, who barked at the waitresses in the kitchen, took me aside one day and called me out on lying about my age. Instead of turning me in, he gave me a piece of sage advice that changed my life and vastly improved my waitressing job. He told me, “Never leave the dining room or kitchen empty handed. Carry a tray and bring everything you might need in the next 10 minutes with you. And smile big.” I was so struck by his kindness that I followed his advice every minute of every day, in and out of the restaurant. I crushed everything I put my mind to and had multitasking juice running through my blood all before I was 16 years old.

Guess what? I was burned out by the time I was 30 years old. Throughout my life and career, I had served everyone I encountered so well, anticipating their every need and found such purpose in it, that I had no idea what I liked, what I wanted or what I needed in my own life. I answered “It doesn’t matter” to most questions asked of me, including, ironically, waitresses. “Would you like ketchup with your fries?” Me: “It doesn’t matter.” I’m still working on breaking this habit. Sometimes I still feel, deep down, like I’ll be betraying a person who showed me kindness and helped me succeed. Sometimes we have to unlearn things and define our purpose for ourselves.

Click through for some simple ways to reframe the not-so-fun things you have to do or are stuck with, and also learn about today’s self-care exercise that will literally take you two minutes. Bonus: There’s a book giveaway involved to give you some incentive! –Caitlin

Image above by the talented Hawnuh Lee. Follow Hawnuh’s work on Instagram here.

Check out last week’s Self-Care Lesson here.

Thankfully, when “it doesn’t matter” is on the tip of my tongue, my adult self begins to cough loudly to remind me that I love ketchup! And that no one is keeping score of my self-assigned failures or betrayals. I remind myself...

02:00

What’s in Your Toolbox: Elisabeth Heidinga Design*Sponge

What's in Your Toolbox: Elisabeth Heidinga, on Design*Sponge

Pablo Picasso once said that “every act of creation is first an act of destruction.” When Toronto-based artist Elisabeth Heidinga felt stifled in her work, she quite literally tore a canvas to shreds and made something completely new with the result. Her intricate woven paintings are formed from abstract compositions cut into fine strips, then knit into decorative patterns. “To me it’s symbolic,” Elisabeth shares, “Taking two opposing ideas, enduring and growing through the process to arrive at something strong and beautiful.” While they still fit into frames, Elisabeth’s woven paintings have a three-dimensional quality that reflects the unique voice and style as an artist for which she has always searched. —Annie

Photography by Elisabeth Heidinga

What’s in your toolbox?

Given that what I am doing is unusual, it’s a collection of random makeshift items — a metal ziptie to pull strips through tighter spots, canvas tape to secure the strips, scissors to cut the strips loose, a loom frame to suspend the strips which aids with the weaving, long plastic strips to weave, a staple gun, and of course the canvas strips. Obviously oil and acrylic paint and medium, paint brushes, glass palettes, and canvas to paint my paintings.

Fill in the blank, “When I am in my studio, I feel ____________.”

like I can conquer the world

01:00

Studio Tour: Iqrup + Ritz Design*Sponge

Studio Tour: Iqrup + Ritz

Indian furniture brand Iqrup + Ritz  caught my eye early last year with their elegant, mid-century meets colonial inspired furniture and their pattern-perfect upholstery collaborations with Delhi-based designers Safomasi (we profiled them here last year). It’s not common for furniture to be sold online in India — though a few multi-product retailers do sell a side table or two — and I was struck by the refreshing attitude of this traditional furniture company intent on supercharging their expert skills for a millennial market.

A mother-daughter team made up of Iqrup and Ritika Dhamija, Iqrup founded the interior design and furniture-making business in 1985 to cater to the demand for elegant and sophisticated Indian homes. Her first project was with iconic Indian artist MF Husain, and she counts a number of India’s most influential businesspeople and entrepreneurs as her clients.

Although the business known as Iqrup Design was established in Delhi 30 years ago, the true magic began when daughter Ritika (Ritz) started to plan for her own home. Ritz found it was impossible to source what she was looking for and the options available either seemed unoriginal and mass produced or extremely expensive.

Growing up in Delhi, Ritz was surrounded by design, accompanying her mother on site visits and shopping for materials in markets. After studying physics in England and working in investment banking in London for 11 years, a creative outlet in the form of design seemed like a natural progression. Ritz convinced her mother of a gap in the market for a contemporary design brand focused on quality heirloom furniture.

Iqrup + Ritz share their studio with their sister company, Iqrup Design in Gurgaon, a financial and industrial hub on the outskirts of New Delhi, and their neighborhood is comprised of an eclectic mix of tech start-ups and artisanal workshops. Lucky to have their workshop and studio in one place, the four-story building was designed and built by Iqrup herself, with Iqrup + Ritz occupying 2,000 square feet on the ground floor.

Most of the floors host the brand’s master craftsmen of carpenters, polishers and upholsters. Many of the craftsmen managing the teams have been with Iqrup for over 30 years. The studio is filled with bookshelves of books on design, art, textiles and vintage furniture catalogues. Iqrup has also been collecting international design magazines like Architectural Digest, House and Garden, and World of Interiors for decades and the duo often flip through old issues for inspiration.

For more information on this creative family business, take a look at the Iqrup + Ritz YouTube channel for some inspiring videos. —Rohini

00:29

Desktop Waterjet Cutting Comes to Hobbyists With Wazer Make: DIY Projects and Ideas for Makers

DSC_9004For less than $6000, makerspaces, classrooms, and homes can now have access to a versatile water jet cutter.

Read more on MAKE

The post Desktop Waterjet Cutting Comes to Hobbyists With Wazer appeared first on Make: DIY Projects and Ideas for Makers.

Design*Sponge Book Tour: BOSTON! Design*Sponge

itcow_booktour_promos_cities_boston

Every city on the In the Company of Women book tour feels special to me, but our Boston stop (which is less than a month away!) feels extra special because some of my dearest friends are a part of this panel and we’ll be kicking off the event with a presentation by someone, without whom this book would not be possible.

Along with Kelli Kehler (who manages our team here at DS) and I, photographer Sasha Israel was brave enough to join us on a whirlwind two-month trip across the country to photograph the majority of women featured in this book. Working with Sasha was one of the most fun and rewarding experiences of my life so far and I am 100% sure that the reason the photographs in this book are so amazing is because Sasha is not only a great photographer, but she has a special way with people and is able to make them feel comfortable and confident almost immediately. So I’m thrilled to announce that at our Boston event (Sasha’s new home base!), Sasha will be starting the show with a special presentation and behind-the-scenes look at what it was like to meet and photograph all of these incredible women.

Following that presentation, I will be leading a panel with Boston locals, Jen Hill (of JHill Design), Joanne Chang (of Flour Bakery), Jonna Twigg (of Twigg’s Bindery), Danielle Colding (of DCDNY) and Jill Rosenwald.

You won’t want to miss this event, it’s going to be fantastic. Pick up a ticket here (each ticket includes a book, the panel talk, a book signing and a limited-edition illustrated tote, while supplies last) and we’ll see you on Thursday, October 6th at the Brattle Theater!...

Tuesday, 13 September

23:30

Gathering Case Studies to Understand the Scope of Makerspace Needs Make: DIY Projects and Ideas for Makers

ostp_conf_roomSome problems have been defined and now makerspace organizers are looking for people willing to explore issues in greater detail.

Read more on MAKE

The post Gathering Case Studies to Understand the Scope of Makerspace Needs appeared first on Make: DIY Projects and Ideas for Makers.

23:00

10 Beautiful Rings Crafted by Hand Make: DIY Projects and Ideas for Makers

ring1There's more than one way to make a ring: here are 10 rings that were filed, drilled, molded, mined, carved, and more!

Read more on MAKE

The post 10 Beautiful Rings Crafted by Hand appeared first on Make: DIY Projects and Ideas for Makers.

8 Ways to Grow Your Makerspace by Partnering with Manufacturers Make: DIY Projects and Ideas for Makers

5makemediaMakerspaces need not fear or be adversarial to manufacturing because manufacturers could become their supporters, sponsors, equipment providers, and perhaps employers to their members.

Read more on MAKE

The post 8 Ways to Grow Your Makerspace by Partnering with Manufacturers appeared first on Make: DIY Projects and Ideas for Makers.

22:00

Building a Leaning Sidecar Bike in the Middle of the Jungle Make: DIY Projects and Ideas for Makers

back in the saddle hirezAfter retiring to a remote forest in Thailand, Ghraydon Wallick finally got a chance to perfect his dual leaning sidecar rig.

Read more on MAKE

The post Building a Leaning Sidecar Bike in the Middle of the Jungle appeared first on Make: DIY Projects and Ideas for Makers.

21:30

Maker Spotlight: Adrian Landon Make: DIY Projects and Ideas for Makers

my tools and me, b&WAdrian Landon is an artist in sculpture who uses metal to create dynamic and thought-provoking works of art.

Read more on MAKE

The post Maker Spotlight: Adrian Landon appeared first on Make: DIY Projects and Ideas for Makers.

11:11

Honey Harvest 2016 DIYdiva

A few weeks ago I spotted the first of the goldenrod blooming in the field behind my house, which meant all of my other projects and activities came to an abrupt halt while my life turned into a sticky, honey-covered disaster.

Untitled

Because goldenrod– whenever it makes its appearance– means that honey harvest needs to start in very short order. The thing about that beautiful yellow plant is that bees love it, which is awesome for them, but it also has the peculiar characteristic of making honey smell like, ah, feet. Which is not so awesome for those of us who want to enjoy honey without being reminded of a gym locker.

Last year I harvested a bit after the goldenrod came out, and my honey actually had a pleasant tang, and not too much funk, but I didn’t want to take any chances this year, so at the first opportunity I harvested 2 medium supers and 1 shallow box of cut-comb honey from my 2-year hive.

Untitled

(That’s everything above the red line. I leave everything else–around 100lbs of honey–for the bees to eat over winter.)

The Sunday I started pulling boxes off the hive was intensely hot and muggy, and toward the end of a couple of very sweaty hours the combination of a soaked bee suit and lifting a 40 lb box of honey into my honey-harvest-mobile (aka golf cart) the bee suit was pulled tight enough against my shoulder than one of the bees actually stung me through the fabric.

10:04

France Prefab Tiny House by Pin-Up Houses

“I would like to introduce you to our new prefabricated experimental pin-up tiny house, which I call “France”. This tiny house consists of 21 insulated panels. The separated panels are connected together with threaded rods, so the house can be assembled and reassembled easily in just one day.

This tiny house is made up of three main spaces. The blue space is for sleeping and is divided by a multifunctional partition, which simultaneously serves as shelves and an entrance to the bedroom. Psychologically, the color blue is the most suitable for a good night´s sleep. The white-colored space serves as the day zone with multifunctional seats and a table. While the wood-burning stove and kitchenette are appropriately found in the red space. There you have it, blue, white and red; the colors of the French flag and the color-coordinated spaces found in this unique Tiny House, “France”.”

YouTube

-

03:00

A Home Designed For Family In Wisconsin Design*Sponge

A Home Designed For Family In Wisconsin

After traveling to Ethiopia to adopt their daughter Charlotte, Jamie and AJ Fink fell in love with the country’s culture and people. Their affinity for Ethiopia not only inspired their design aesthetic, but drew them back in when they wanted to adopt again. They endured a long, painful, and discouraging process, but in the end prevailed by bringing home their two baby boys. The Finks became a family of seven plus two dogs and were in need of a space large enough for everyone.

With the right number of bedrooms and baths, a side entry, 2.5 car garage, extra recreational spaces for the kids, and set on an acre less than 20 minutes outside of Milwaukee, WI, the Finks found their dream home. Despite feeling like the home was in a time warp from 1968, the couple decided to take it on as a fixer-upper. Since Jamie works as a freelance interior designer and her husband AJ is a corporate interiors sales manager, it was easy for the couple to see the home’s potential.

The house was a full and complete gut job. “The day that we closed, AJ and I walked through with tears in our eyes and almost immediately began tearing out the wall-to-wall carpeting!” Jamie recalls. In order to accommodate seven people and four animals, an open-concept floor plan was a must. They tore down walls to open up their formal living and dining room, giving them space to create a huge open-concept kitchen and dining area. They also removed paneling in the living room and basement, painted every wall and ceiling, installed all new hardwood and tile throughout the house, and replaced a former closet with a first-floor laundry. After 10 solid months of nonstop work, the Finks were able to get their house to a place where they could move in and decorate.

Enhancing the newly remodeled home, Jamie aimed for a “clean, eclectically modern” aesthetic that tells stories by “incorporating personal items collected through travels or moments.” As you click through and explore each room, it’s easy to recognize that the Finks designed their space to maximize their family’s life in both the shared and private spaces. —Tawnee

Photography by Denise Fink

SOURCE LIST

Sunroom (chalet)
Paint (walls): Benjamin Moore China White
Paint (ceiling): Benjamin Moore Decorators White
Paint (trim): Benjamin Moore White Dove
Sectional: Ikea
Pillows: Ikea
Side Chair: World Market
Sheepskin Throw: World Market
Pillow: Vintage (Turkey) Etsy
Rug: World Market
Coffee Table: West Elm
Lanterns: Pier 1
Side Table: Target
Lighting: Shades of Light
Moroccan Pouf: Overstock

Dining Room
Paint: Benjamin Moore China White
Table: World Market
Kilim Rug: World Market
Solid Rug: Crate and Barrel
Light Fixture over Table: Shades of Light – Hinckley Lighting
Black Cabinet: Crate and Barrel
Bamboo Blinds: Blinds.com
Pottery on top of Black Cabinet: Tuesday Morning
Table Tray: Crate and Bar...

02:00

In Pittsburgh, A Victorian Home for Collecting and Entertaining Design*Sponge

In Pittsburgh, A Victorian Home for Collecting and Entertaining

When the new end of a hip neighborhood seems to be producing enough vape shops for each smoker to have his or her own lifetime supply, a new, well curated boutique feels like a breath of fresh, non-strawberry-flavored air. In the case of the Lawrenceville neighborhood of Pittsburgh, PA that fresh breath was Von Walter & Funk, a brick-and-mortar shop brimming with new and vintage goods for home, garden and apothecary, including a rustic farmhouse sink display I want to pry from the walls and somehow sneak off the premises.

The shop is owned by business/life partners Shawn Aversa and Jamie McAdams, and the royal-sounding name is a tribute to both of their grandmothers, Janet Irene (Von) Walter and Harriet Pauline Funk. Both of German descent, each woman instilled in her grandson a dedication to work, to family and to collecting, values that carried over into their h...

Design*Sponge Book Tour: Los Angeles, CA! Design*Sponge

itcow_booktour_promos_cities_la
I’m having a hard time containing my excitement about the LA stop of our book tour for In the Company...

Monday, 12 September

23:00

4 Weird Food Machines That Make Meals Easier Make: DIY Projects and Ideas for Makers

IMG_5912You may have some go-to techniques for whipping up...

12:00

Stacked lime and purple hydrangeas for a fall mantel Funky Junk Interiors

purple-and-lime-hydrangeas-on-a-fall-mantel-funkyjunkinteriors-net-006I have a post. I have a POST! 🙂 Oh it felt so good to get into the DIY spirit once again. I stayed home all day, mowed the lawn, cleaned the house, then took a wander outside to inspect the hydrangeas. We are now in fall mode, still with warm skies, but with that special […]

The post Stacked lime and purple hydrangeas for a fall mantel appeared first on Funky Junk Interiors.

10:15

DIY Plate Rack for $95 Shanty 2 Chic

Hey there! Join us on Instagram and Pinterest to keep up with our most recent projects and sneak peeks! Check out our new how-to videos on YouTube! Make sure to subscribe to our channel so you don't miss any!   That’s right! This 7 ft. long by 8 ft. tall plate rack was built with {...Read More...}

The post DIY Plate Rack for $95 appeared first on Shanty 2 Chic.

09:39

Refrigerated Box Converted into Tiny Cabin

“Tim Creek and his family bought a Refrigerated box that was rusting away in a field and had bigger dreams for it. They converted it into their family cabin!”

This video shows how they built a $30,000 tiny cabin for $3,000 – $4,000 not counting labor.

YouTube

-

IndyWatch DIY and Building Feed Archiver

IndyWatch DIY and Building Feed was generated at Community Resources IndyWatch.

Resource generated at IndyWatch using aliasfeed and rawdog