IndyWatch Community Resources All Topics Summary Archiver

Go Back:30 Days | 7 Days | 2 Days | 1 Day

IndyWatch Community Resources All Topics Summary Today.

Go Forward:1 Day | 2 Days | 7 Days | 30 Days

IndyWatch Community Resources All Topics Summary was generated at Community Resources IndyWatch.

Sunday, 15 January

01:05

The Wind In The Trees "IndyWatch Feed Survival"

During a particular cold snowy day as we eyed through the frosty edged windows, the house quivered and shook from the blasts of cruel winds. We are drawn to venture out into the powerful force, its grueling winds roaring through the forest of Spruce and Birch. Thoroughly rural, not another dwelling or soul around, we […]

01:00

The Two Topics in Law and Blockchain "IndyWatch Feed Crypto"

Ledger Labs' Josh Stark breaks the complexities of blockchain law down into two relatively simple categories.

Source

00:16

Bitcoin Price Fluctuations Calmed By Chinese Regulatory Suspense "IndyWatch Feed Crypto"

http://ift.tt/eA8V8J

The suspense surrounding potential bitcoin regulations in China served to limit this week’s price movements.

Source

from CoinDesk http://ift.tt/2jPy6ZR

00:15

Japan's largest coral reef is 90% bleached becoming the latest victim as coral reef's are dying at a record rate around the world "IndyWatch Feed Uncanny"

Photo 微博
Japan’s largest coral reef system has become the latest casualty in a long series of coral bleaching events around the world.
More than 90 percent of coral in the Sekisei Lagoon, located in the Okinawa prefecture, has bleached, according to a new survey just released by Japan’s Ministry of the Environment.
And a whopping 70 percent of the reef has died.
It’s the worst news yet in a bleaching event that’s been going on for months now.
A previous survey, conducted in September and October 2016, found that 56.7 percent of the reef had died, while 97 percent total had bleached.
An even earlier survey, conducted in July and August, found that 89.6 percent of the reef had bleached, but only 5.4 percent had died.
The findings follow a summer marked by unusually high regional ocean temperatures, a primary cause of coral bleaching around the world.
Between June and August 2016, water temperatures in the area hovered above 30 degrees Celsius, or 86 degrees Fahrenheit, said Mari Yamazaki, a member of the Environment Ministry’s Nature Conservation Bureau, in an email to The Washington Post.
Japan’s Yomiuri Shimbun newspaper reports that average summer sea surface temperatures for the region are typically around 29 degrees Celsius.
According to the Japan Meteorological Agency, sea surface temperatures around Japan have risen an average of 1.07 degrees Celsius in the past 100 years, which is more than twice the global average warming rate.
Japan isn’t the only nation whose corals are suffering.
A global bleaching event has been ravaging coral reefs all over the world for several years.
Scientists believe a long-term pattern of rising ocean temperatures is largely to blame, although the damage was exacerbated in many places by the effects of an unusually severe El Niño event beginning in 2015.
Australia’s iconic Great Barrier Reef is among the most famous of the casualties.
Just a few months ago, researchers announced devastating losses in the northern part of the reef, with up to two-thirds of the corals having died in some areas.
And scientists have made similarly grim discoveries in many other reefs around the world, from the United States and the Caribbean to the Western Pacific.

Home

00:00

Bitcoin Price Fluctuations Calmed By Chinese Regulatory Suspense "IndyWatch Feed Crypto"

The suspense surrounding potential bitcoin regulations in China served to limit this week's price movements.

Source

00:00

Balsamic-Roasted Beets from The Paleo Approach Cookbook "IndyWatch Feed Food"

Beets seem to be one of those veggies that people with love or hate, but they are so increadibly nutritious (including being a very rich source of vitamin B9 and manganese with compelling amounts of vitamin A, vitamin B1, vitamin B2, vitamin B3, vitamin B5, vitamin B6, vitamin C, calcium, potassium, magnesium, phosphorous, zinc, copper, selenium and being a source of betaine which aids detoxification processes!) that it’s worth experimenting with recipes to find a way that you do enjoy them!  This is one of my absolute favorite ways to enjoy beets!

There’s something about the sweet versus sour combination of balsamic vinegar and roasted beets that’s absolutely divine!  Plus, this recipe is crazy simple, especially if you’ve already got something like a roast chicken in the oven already!  You can also easily bake these beets in a slightly hotter or colder oven, adjusting the cooking time, making it a great dish to share the oven with other sides or the main attraction of your meal!

Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes to 1 hour
Serves: 4 to 6

Balsamic-Roasted Beets

Ingredients:

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350F. Lay a large piece of aluminum foil in a baking dish, lifting the sides to create an edge all the way around
  2. Combine the beets, vinegar, coconut oil, and salt. Pour into the foil. Fold the edges of the foil up and over the beets to make a pocket for the beets to cook in, sealing the edges closed. (Alternatively, you can use a greased baking dish with a lid).
  3. Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until the beets are tender (it depends on the size of your beets)

The post Balsamic-Roasted Beets from The Pa...

Saturday, 14 January

23:53

This turmeric-lentil soup will protect you from diabetes, dementia and cancer "IndyWatch Feed Food"

Winter is synonymous with a lot of things like snow, ice, mittens, the holidays, and hot cocoa. Despite all of these cheery symbolisms, winter is a very dark time. Tis the season for vitamin D supplements since the sky is usually cloudy, and many people wake up for work or school before dawn and come home after sunset. With such a dull and cold atmosphere, it’s no wonder winter has become closely associated with comfort foods.

For this potentially dismal season, here is perfect lentil soup recipe that is creamy from coconut milk and a sunny yellow from turmeric.

The Healing Effects of Turmeric

Turmeric is an ancient cure that has resurfaced in medicinal research for a natural treatment for inflammation, which is the cause of chronic illnesses today. Turmeric, also known as curcumin, is a natural anti-inflammatory and has been proven to alleviate illnesses like:

• Diabetes
  • Obesity
  • Depression
  • Fatigue
  • Asthma
  • Bronchitis
  • Metabolic diseases
  • Allergies
  • Alzheimer’s
  • Multiple sclerosis
  • Cancer
  • Psoriasis
  • Cardiovascular diseases

Even if you don’t suffer from any of the above diseases, (and let’s hope you don’t) keep in mind that stress is a major factor for inflammation. Unless you are meditating on the Himalayan mountains, you are probably are no stranger to stress. Maybe you are anxious about something right now!

Stress is a major factor with numerous maladies, which is logical based on its contribution to inflammation. As much as we try to avoid anxiety and tension, life has its way of shoving them back into our faces. Turmeric is a natural and tasty approach to counter stress’s adverse effects. (1)

The Protective Health Benefits of Apples

We’ve all been told to eat our fruits and vegetables, and “an apple a day keeps the doctor away.” You may not be aware that studies have found apples to be filled with antioxidants that positively effect ailments like:

• Cancer
  • Cardiovascular diseases
  • Alzheimer’s
  • Asthma
  • Diabetes
  • Bone health
  • Gastrointestinal protection
  • Weight m...

23:23

GoldenEye ransomware is sending companies fake job applications "IndyWatch Feed Crypto"

Cybercriminals have launched a campaign in which they send companies’ HR departments an email posing as job applicants. The email itself contains a short message that directs victims towards two attachments. One of them is a cover letter in PDF format, without any malicious code in it. Reportedly, the goal of this cover letter is to make the victims feel like it’s a regular job application, giving them a false sense of security.

The other file contained in the email is an Excel file that, once opened, will claim to be loading while showing the target a picture of a flower. Text in German will ask the victim to enable content so macros can run. Once the victim concedes, code inside the macros initiates the encryption process.

GoldenEye appends a random 8-character extension to each one of the victims’ encrypted files, and after that it sends the user a ransom note named “YOUR_FIÇES_ARE_ENCRYPTED.TXT”. Then, GoldenEye forcefully reboots in order to encrypt the disk, making it impossible to access any files on the hard disk, according to Check Point. While the disk is being encrypted, a fake “chkdsk” screen is shown.

Finally, users are given a ransom note with a golden color scheme – instead of red or green, used in previous Petya campaigns. In order to give the victim his/her files back, a ransom of roughly 1.3 bitcoins is demanded. The note also tells victims how they can acquire bitcoin, and how they can access a deep web portal where they’ll be able to pay the ransom. At that portal, victims are also able to contact an admin if they’re being unable to follow the payment or the decryption process.

The authors behind Petya and GoldenEye

Cybercriminals, calling themselves Janus, are the minds behind Petya and GoldenEye, and don’t just make money by extorting their victims. Up until October 2016, Janus ran a website in which Petya, along with other types of ransomware, were for sale in what is known as Ransomware-as-a-Service (RaaS). Essentially, their ransomware is sold to users who aren’t able to create this type of software by themselves, creating a network of distributors. Whenever these users extort money from someone, Janus gets part of the profit.

Janus’ ransomware started off as a minor threat, as according to Malwarebytes Petya was avoidable at first because of a f...

23:16

Using Ethereum, ChronoBank Aims to Become Uber of Recruitment "IndyWatch Feed Crypto"

http://ift.tt/2iqYxQz

Sergei Sergienko, CEO at ChronoBank, on a next generation labour exchange platform (LaborX) built on Ethereum using Smart Contracts.

from The cointelegraph.com news http://ift.tt/2ivLqRu

23:08

Using Ethereum, ChronoBank Aims to Become Uber of Recruitment "IndyWatch Feed Crypto"

Sergei Sergienko, CEO at ChronoBank, on a next generation labour exchange platform (LaborX) built on Ethereum using Smart Contracts.

22:11

Body Shape: Tips to Make Your Style Match Your Figure "IndyWatch Feed Craft"

Body ShapeDo you find fashion unforgiving? Perhaps clothes look great on hangers but don’t suit your figure. The trick to always looking fabulous is to make your style match your physique rather than the other way around. You can’t make clothes look flattering if it’s designed with a different body shape in mind, no matter how hard you try. Select garments that complement your proportions, and you can’t go wrong.

Hourglass body shape (triangles contrasting) — Hourglass-shaped figures have a narrow waist, and the bust and hips are a similar size.

body shapeClassic hourglass figures look amazing in ’50s-style dresses with nipped-in waists. Wide belts emphasize curves, and pencil skirts draw attention to shapely hips. Fitted clothes that glide over the body are flattering, and skinny jeans can look great with a loose top. However, avoid teaming baggy bottoms with a tunic top. Aim to define your waist and highlight your bust and hips rather than hiding them.

Apple body shape (triangle plunging) — Apple-shaped figures have narrow hips, and broad shoulders and bust.

body shapeIf you have an apple-shaped figure, your arms, shoulders, and legs are your best features. You can wear loose tunic-style dresses with leggings, and peplum dresses look great on your frame. If you want to create the appearance of curves, m...

22:06

Who Put This Monolith on Mars’ Moon Phobos? "IndyWatch Feed Uncanny"

Nobody is sure what these two objects are but they do seem like they were made and placed there.

When people find out about that they are going to say, ‘Who put that there? Who put that there?” – Buzz Aldrin, Apollo astronaut.

Mars has two moons, Phobos and Deimos, named after the Greek mythological characters attributed to fear and dread. The small satellites are irregular in shape and circle the planet in strange orbits. Most astronomers agree their shape is an indicator of their origin: asteroids caught up in Mars’ gravitational pull.

NASA images show that Phobos, the smaller of the two has a peculiar structure on its surface. Rectangular in shape and standing close to 300 feet tall, the so-called monolith has sparked a great deal of controversy since it was first discovered by the Mars Global Surveyor mission in 1998.

ET enthusiasts speculate Phobos could be a hollow, artificial body and by extension, they believe the monolith could also be alien in origin. Their assumptions are primarily based on the calculations of Russian scientist Iosef Samuilovich, who theorized that the movements of Phobos were not consistent with what was expected from a celestial body of its shape and size.

If the odd satellite is indeed artificial in nature, the importance of the obelisk-like structure on its surface is dimmed a bit. If the entire moon was built, the monolith would only be a small component of the structure. On the other hand, the monolith can be found in a barren, featureless region on the moon, so it might be more important than we suspect.

Astronomers combated Samuilovich’s theory with claims that the 14 mile-wide moon could be highly porous in nature and that is the reason it moves on such an unpredictable trajectory.

No matter the true nature of Phobos, the mystery surrounding the monolith remains a valid one. Photographic evidence shows the monolith appears as a bright object near Stickney crater. The monolith is definitely not the product of a camera malfunction, since it casts a prominent shadow on the surface of Phobos.

The available data indicates the rectangular object sits all by itself in a region devoid of other landmarks, as if it were a testament to its own controversial nature. There is nothing like it on the entire moon. This strange object brings many questions into one’s mind: who put it there and why? Does it serve any purpose?

Alien supporter and former astronaut Buzz Aldrin fanned the flame even further when he said the issue warrants an investigation.

We should visit the moons of Mars,” Aldrin said. “...

22:03

Healing Madness "IndyWatch Feed Health"

First and foremost, I want to thank Robert Whitaker for his support of my work, and for offering me the opportunity to blog for MIA. It can be quite scary and lonely to step out and away from your field and begin to share your worries about the direction it has gone (and continues to go). To be welcomed into a community of like-minded individuals who share my concerns about the growing madness in psychiatry and the “mental health” universe, is truly a gift. I feel blessed, honored, and humbled to be able to tell you what I have seen, and learned, over the course of my clinical practice. I welcome the opportunity to share my thoughts, and to hear yours, about what we need to do to heal a field gone mad.

I think it best that I tell you a bit about myself, given that this is my first blog. I need to tell you where I have come from, and why I have chosen to leave.

I am a Board-Certified psychiatrist, with my Diplomate Certification from the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology. I have been in the field of medicine for 35 years, or for the equivalent of my entire adult life. This has been my passion and pursuit forever. I have never taken a break, or even a substantial period of time off, from clinical practice. I have seen patients for therapy, treatment, and care for 35 years.

Along the way I have also written books about integrative healing, been a radio host for a call-in radio show, a columnist for Massage Therapy Journal, a professor, the Medical Director of at least four facilities, and even a Chief Medical Officer (CMO). I have spoken at conferences and training programs all over the world, and have even been the key note speaker at conferences devoted to integrative healing. I was on faculty at the University Of Arizona School Of Medicine in the Center for Integrative Medicine when living in Arizona. And I have practiced throughout the United States, and even for a year and a half as a Senior Medical Consultant in New Zealand. So, I have seen a lot. And it has been a blessing and a curse.

Part of what I have seen, and what has shaken me to my core, is the way the role of psychiatry has changed over time. We psychiatrists are no longer healers, therapists, doctors, and partners in healing. We are now “medication managers.” We don’t treat people, we manage medicines! Today, psychiatrists are meant to see increasing numbers of patients for “assessment” and “standard medication management” sessions. Almost every job posted for a psychiatrist, nationwide, uses the language I have just put in quotations. And I get about ten requests a day to take another one of those jobs.

Let me give you some numbers to put this new world of psychiatry into perspective. I can’t quite believe what I am about to share with you. But my organization (that I will be leaving as of March 4th) keeps track of these numbers, so I am sure they ar...

22:00

Some Blockchain Tokens are Securities, Researchers Find "IndyWatch Feed Crypto"

Does this product make sense? Is there a clear explanation of what the network does? Is there a clear use-case for the token? Has the developer been transparent about where funding will go? Is the project an open public blockchain or is it an opaque, unclear technology? Is it something marketed as a good or for speculative profits?

Also Read: The Differences Between an IPO and ICO

These are the things to look out for when considering the latest new blockchain hype, according to Coinbase product counsel Reuben Bramanathan.

Coinbase, Coin Center, Consensys and the venture capital firm Union Square Ventures decided that the burgeoning blockchain token industry needed an open-source regulatory framework for entrepreneurs and technologists designing blockchain tokens.

The group published a set of best practice principles for crowd sales of blockchain tokens. The Blockchain Token Securities Law Framework and the Framework Tool are available online. The group engaged a leading US law firm to do detailed security law analysis about blockchain tokens.

Difference Between Security and a Token

reubenbramanathanReuben Bramanathan

Are blockchain tokens securities or not?  “If they are, then developers, the users, and exchanges...

21:52

Saturday Stories: Russian Advice, One Weird Trick, and Supplements "IndyWatch Feed Food"

Alexey Kovalev, in Medium, with his advice as a Russian journalist as to what journalists in post-Trump America should expect.

Patrick Mustain in The Daily Beast on the one weird trick that gave us Donald Trump.

Rebecca Robbins in Stat on the wild, wild, West that is the supplement industry.

[And if you don't follow me on Twitter or Facebook, here's my contribution to the online sugar debate (other debaters include Gary Taubes, Stephan Guyenet, and Terence Kealey)]

21:41

Obesity, the Plague of the American People "IndyWatch Feed Food"

Get Scared About Your Weight? It is a scary thought, “The plague of Obesity in America.” There were rumors in the 1970’s that the Communists were behind America’s obesity problem. Many felt that “The Communists at a focus to get Americans so fat they could not fight.” This statement was just a rumor and not…

21:35

The Health Benefits Associated with Monin Syrup "IndyWatch Feed Food"

In a world where most consumers are discerning and insist on value for money, it has become important for businesses to provide new experiences. Today, it is relatively easy to get whatever you want to eat, even in situations where diverse culinary experiences and unique tastes are few and far between. Monin syrup is a…

21:31

Savory Pancakes That Will Change Dinner Forever "IndyWatch Feed Food"

If you agree that pancakes are the best thing that could have happened to mankind, then we are definitely on the same page. And while the Alita Dolcia might have been baked on stones, people of today are blessed with many ingredients and appliances to experiment with the preparation of all sorts of pancake recipes.…

21:15

30 Pictures that Will Make You Rethink Your Existence "IndyWatch Feed Uncanny"

In such a busy world, it can become hard to stop and think about the fact that we are so very small in contrast to such a massive universe. However, the following photos will help you along that journey, and by the end, you may have reconsidered everything you ever imagined about your existence.

On a scale, this is the difference between Earth and the Moon.

This is our home. Earth.

Earth-Our Home

This is where Earth is in the milky way.

earthinside

Earth’s Orbit in comparison to Neptune’s.

earthsorbit

This is a comet compared to Los Angeles.

comet

The size of Earth next to the Sun.

earthtosun

Our Solar neighborhood in comparison to the Milky Way.

milkywaygalaxy...

21:00

Swiss man to travel to England to end life in NHS hospital "IndyWatch Feed Satire"

2166A Swiss man paralysed five years ago in a skiing accident has chosen to end his life early in the UK after shunning the local suicide clinic a few minutes drive from his home. ‘I want to end my life,’ said Max Friedland today, ‘but I don’t want to actually commit suicide. Which is why I have chosen a routine minor operation in an NHS hospital.’

Friedland, has an appointment in February at a London hospital for the removal of a benign mole on his back. ‘I am hoping that this short overnight stay coupled with the surgery will be enough for me to contract one of the many viruses present in NHS hospitals, C Diff, Norovirus, MRSA, I don’t mind as long as death is quick and relatively pain free.’

Asked whether he approved of the plan, health secretary Alan Johnson said, ‘To be able to welcome people from abroad who have specifically chosen the NHS for their procedures just shows how far we have come in recent years. It’s nice to see someone making a positive choice to use the NHS for once.’

Mr Friedland’s family are supporting his decision to end his life by staying in an English hospital; ‘It would be easy for him to make the short journey to Dignitas and to drink a lethal cocktail of chemicals, but he wants to end his life ended without intervention.’ said his wife, ‘We understand that if the superbug viruses don’t get him, then it is highly likely that some poor exhausted doctor will deliver a fatal incorrect dose of medicine to him, which is a nice safety net to have.’

Mr Friedland had originally been planning to end his life next summer but asked for his suicidal visit to England could be brought forward. ‘I was getting fed up with all those calls from Radio 4’s ‘The Moral Maze’. If anything made me want to end my life more quickly it was the prospect of talking to Michael Buerk about complex ethical dilemmas of our time.’

JayGee

5th January 2009

20:25

Lance Schuttler, The Mind Unleashed… “[28] Signs That The Global Elite’s Ship Is Sinking” (3 articles in one) "IndyWatch Feed Spiritual"

the_mind_unleashed_header_2Rather than post each of these separately, I felt it might be clearer if I posted the 28 signs Lance has written about in one location. I’ve placed the three linked titles above the 28 signs, which are numbered. One point I like about this is that he has dated each one. I see this as a major service that Lance has done for all of us, to help us see that the cabal is indeed “going down”.

Great job, Lance!! [Kp note: where I’ve omitted some words you’ll see “…”]

[from Part 1] “Times are continuing to shift in a big way and humanity’s rise over the darkness that has plagued our planet for a very long time is gathering momentum by the day. Remember, the elite’s modus operandi is to crush any form of hope or belief that things can or will get better. Truth prevails though and we are seeing the old world order crumble. 2017 is sure to be an exciting year. Continue to dream big.
[from Part 2] ““Desperation is a stinky odor.” What we are seeing is a very desperate banking and political cabal on the run. They are no longer jogging, but are now in a full out sprint in attempt to flee from the truth. But the truth has caught up and the world is awakening quicker each day.
[from...

20:15

Phoenix Lights 20 years later: UFO witnesses take the stage at UFO conference in February "IndyWatch Feed Uncanny"

It has been 20 years since the UFO sighting that has had Arizona buzzing ever since the incident took place in March of 1997. Over 1000 witnesses reportedly came forward, including former Arizona Governor Fife Symington. Several of the witnesses who experienced the most spectacular sightings will be sharing what they saw on-stage at the International UFO Congress in Fountain Hills on February 18, 2017.

IUFOC 2017

The ‘Phoenix Lights’ sightings were reported by thousands of people, both as a triangular formation and stationary lights. Phoenix City Councilwoman Frances Barwood says she personally spoke with over 700 Phoenix-area residents who claimed to have seen a large object float silently over the city. Symington, Arizona’s governor at the time, made light of the sightings in 1997, however, he now claims to have seen the UFO himself and says he does not think it was from this planet.

According to Fox News, Symington said, “I’m a pilot and I know just about every machine that flies. It was bigger than anything that I’ve ever seen. It remains a great mystery. Other people saw it, responsible people. I don’t know why people would ridicule it”

Fife Symington discussing his UFO sighting on CNN. (Credit: CNN)

Fife Symington discussing his UFO sighting on CNN. (Credit: CNN)

Symington first admitted to seeing the object during an interview with filmmaker James Fox. Fox had provided Symington with testimony from several witnesses who were disappointed with the way Symington dealt with the incident in 1997. Symington then admitted to Fox he had also seen the object, and he agreed it was unworldly. Symington then went on to discuss his sighting with CNN and other news outlets.

Fox will be presenting at the International UFO Congress, and will share footage of his interview with Symington, he says, he has not shared publicly before. Fox has also arranged to have several of the witnessed he spoke with, all of whom had a spectacular view of the strange object that cruised over Phoenix that fateful night, join him on-stage during his presentation to share their experiences with the audience.

19:54

Anthony Bourdain Convinced to Eat Bugs by Tribe Who Does Not Eat Bugs "IndyWatch Feed Satire"

WINDHOEK, Namibia — Travel show host and author Anthony Bourdain ate a wide variety of bugs last week after a Namibian tribe convinced him they “totally eat them, too,” according to skeptical crew members.

Zach Zamboni, Bourdain’s veteran cinematographer, believes the native San tribe of Namibia are “having a laugh at the TV host’s expense,” feeding him any old bugs and animal parts they can find.

(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});
googletag.cmd.push(function() { googletag.display('div-gpt-ad-1468284277350-2'); });

“”“’‘’’”

“”

“’”“’”

—

“’”“’—

19:54

My Independent Coffee Shop Welcomes All Refugees That Can Afford a Six Dollar Latte "IndyWatch Feed Satire"

Mythical Coffee is all about coffee and inclusion. That is why our new policy is that all refugees are always welcome in our café so long as they can afford a six dollar small latte (cash only).

(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});
googletag.cmd.push(function() { googletag.display('div-gpt-ad-1468284277350-2'); });

é

é’’’

19:53

Volkswagen Tells Its Managers Not to Travel to US "IndyWatch Feed Uncanny"

In the last days of the Obama administration, the outgoing president has taken on a surprising urgency in closing “open” cases of alleged fraud, if mostly involving foreign carmakers.

Case in point, this week’s $4.3 billion settlement with Volkswagen to put the diesel emmisions scandal to rest, and yesterday’s unexpected accusation by the EPA that Fiat was likely engaging in a similar scheme to defraud the US government of its true emissions.

The crackdown has led to various curious outcomes, the most surprising of which is that Volkswagen has warned its senior managers not to travel to the United States after six current and former managers were indicted for their role in the German carmaker’s diesel test-cheating scheme, according to Reuters.

The company agreed to pay $4.3 billion in civil and criminal fines in a settlement with the DoJ on Wednesday, the largest ever U.S. penalty levied on an automaker.

However, Attorney General Loretta Lynch said the DoJ would continue to pursue “the individuals responsible for orchestrating this damaging conspiracy”.

As reported on Monday, one of the six charged, Oliver Schmidt, was arrested by the FBI at Miami International Airport on Saturday as he was about to fly home from holiday in Cuba.

Schmidt, who is caught up in the “Dieselgate” investigation by the U.S. Department of Justice (DoJ), was ordered to be charged and held without bail on Thursday pending trial.

While the biggest German carmaker agreed to pay $4.3 billion in civil and criminal fines in a settlement with the DoJ on Wednesday, the largest ever U.S. penalty levied on an automaker, Attorney General Loretta Lynch said the DoJ would continue to pursue “the individuals responsible for orchestrating this damaging conspiracy”.

Hence, guilty until proven innocent.

Incidentally similar “advice” was given to Swiss bankers in the years following Obama’s crackdown on Swiss banking secrecy, when all local bankers could be arrested on sight if they attempted to enter the US.

Which also explains the travel ban: under German’s constituion, citizens can be extradited only to other European Union countries or to an international court.

But leaving Germany at all could pose a risk of being extradited to the United States from a third country. “Several Volkswagen managers have been advised not to travel to the United States,” one legal adviser to Volkswagen said on condition of anonymity because the matter is confidential.

A second legal adviser said this also applied to managers who had not yet been charged with any offense in the United States...

19:48

REVEALED: Truth of the '800-year-old mobile phone' that sparked claims time travel is REAL "IndyWatch Feed Uncanny"

Stories filled the internet with speculation the object could even be proof of time travel.

But, now Express.co.uk can reveal just where the image came from and how it was used to spread the hoax story.  

Video clips of the alleged bizarre discovery emerged in September 2015.

The conspiracy theory story accompanying the discovery claimed the object was unearthed during a dig in Austria.

It was said to be a clay copy of a mobile phone with a Sumerian writing style known as cuneiform on the keys.

YouTube channel Paranormal Crucible reported: “What is it? Is it evidence of an advanced civilisation or time travel?” 

The tablet was dated to around the 13th century BCE. 

By that time, the Sumerian writing style – usually known as cuneiform – had already been around for a few thousand years. 

Editorial on the channel goes on to say: “Cuneiform tablets aren’t unusual – an estimated two million have been excavated. The language was a mystery until the 19th century when its code was deciphered.” 

Cuneiform was one of the first systems of writing developed by the ancient Sumerians of Mesopotamia around 3,500BC to 3,000 BC. 

When the news of the discovery broke, conspiracy website tothedeathmedia.com reported: “According to reports, during archaeological excavations at Fuschl am See, (in Salzburg), Austria, researchers unearthed a mysterious artefact from the thirteenth century with cuneiform writing that strangely resembles a cell phone. 

“This type of writing is typically found in modern-day Iran or Iraq (ancient Mesopotamia). 

“What a device like this with Cuneiform writing is doing in Austria is something that no one is able to fully understand or explain. 

“Regrettably the information about this ‘sensational’ discovery is limited.”

The website added: “We cannot explain what it is, whether it is real or not, but it has caught our attention and we would love to know more about it.”

Some UFO hunters even pounced on the “discovery” as “evidence of aliens visiting ancient civilisations on Earth, and bringing sophisticated technology to the more primitive beings,” without questioning the validity of the claims. 

Scott C Waring, editor of UFO Sightings Daily, concluded: “It is evident from this cell phone like device that someone with an advanced knowledge of the future created it. 

“The language is said to go back tens of thousands of years…very cool discovery.”

T...

19:01

The Millennium Report 1-12-17… “Defeated, The New World Order Has Been Halted” "IndyWatch Feed Spiritual"

the_millennium_report_header_240_1This article really lays out strongly why the NWO is defeated. Yes, there are certainly going to be “cleanup” operations, but I found this one very eye-opening. Time to release the fear, the doom and gloom, and move forward. And upward.

Found on FB, via this Event Chronicle post.

“It ought to be clear to every resident of Planet Earth that the New World Order ruling cabal has been thrown into complete disarray… the Illuminati plot to install an overt One World Government is in absolute chaos… their multi-century agenda to foist a state-sponsored One World Religion on humankind has been thwarted… their many conspiratorial plots to depopulate the world have failed dismally.

“The stock market can be forced into a precipitous decline by way of a controlled demolition similar to 2008; however, this time the guilty financial terrorists and economic saboteurs will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. In other word, the whole world now knows that all financial crashes and economic collapses hav...

19:00

How to Make Coffee Using a French Press + Giveaway "IndyWatch Feed Survival"

How to Make Coffee Using a French Press | Backdoor Survival

If you are anything like me, you have a tough time facing the day without first imbibing on a robust cup of hot coffee. Can you imagine being in a survival situation, faced with the stress of a disruptive event, and not having your morning fix of java?
Although I say this somewhat tongue in cheek, the reality is that drinking coffee is a simple comfort that can bring pleasure when things are not going well.

With that in mind, over the past few months, I have been on a mission to create an excellent cup of coffee while using minimal effort and as little fuel from a heat source as possible. What I settled on was a French Press. Today I will show you how they work plus, in my usual style, offer one up for grabs in the first product giveaway of the year.

The post How to Make Coffee Using a French Press + Giveaway by Gaye Levy first appeared on Backdoor Survival.

18:30

Notes for Saturday – January 14, 2017 "IndyWatch Feed Survival"

On January 14th, 1784, the Continental Congress ratified the Second Treaty of Paris, ending the War for Independence. In the document, which was known as the Second Treaty of Paris because the Treaty of Paris was also the name of the agreement that had ended the Seven Years’ War in … Continue reading

18:29

Propane As An Energy Source- Part 2, by JB "IndyWatch Feed Survival"

Storage Tanks and Transfer of Propane (continued) Once the tank is full, the fill hose ball valve is closed (stopping flow into the tank), the tank bleeder is closed (if used), the pump is shut off, and then the tank valve closed, in that order. Double check that the hose … Continue reading

18:28

Letter Re: Major Mistake "IndyWatch Feed Survival"

Hugh, I would encourage B.M. to sue the contractor even if the contractor has nothing to his name right now. There is a statute of limitations and after the specified time elapses without filing a suit, B.M. is guaranteed to never collect a dime. Sue and get a judgment and … Continue reading

18:28

Economics and Investing: "IndyWatch Feed Survival"

PRECIOUS METALS INVESTORS: Are You Prepared For The Great Financial Enema? o o o Gold Prices: Correction Or Crash? o o o Fed Pays Banks $12 Billion on “Excess Reserves,” Taken from Taxpayer Pockets – H.L. o o o Christmas Fizzles: Retail Sales Except Autos, Gas, Fall Flat o o … Continue reading

18:27

Odds ‘n Sods: "IndyWatch Feed Survival"

You must delete your personal information from this scary site now! – DSV HJL notes: it was fairly easy to remove my own information, but Mrs. Latimer took considerably longer. There were only two variations of my name and she had nearly 14 variations listed. o o o H7N2 news: … Continue reading

18:27

Hugh’s Quote of the Day: "IndyWatch Feed Survival"

“And the time drew nigh that Israel must die: and he called his son Joseph, and said unto him, If now I have found grace in thy sight, put, I pray thee, thy hand under my thigh, and deal kindly and truly with me; bury me not, I pray thee, … Continue reading

18:14

U.S Military Press Conference: “U.S Is Ready for War in Europe” "IndyWatch Feed Uncanny"

Over the past few weeks, U.S and NATO forces have began the building up of the biggest deployment of troops on Russian borders since the cold war. In their buildup thousands of tanks and soldiers have been sent to the Baltic states along the Russian border to “prevent Russian aggression,” however, many believe the actions to be purely provocation.

As a response to the buildup, Vladimir Putin has deployed anti-aircraft missile systems around Moscow to protect the nation from aggression. The s-400 Triumph air defense system is capable of hitting moving planes and missiles, while having a range of 400km.

The Defense Ministry’s Department of Information and Mass
Communication told Interfax that, ‘The SAM combat squads of the Moscow Region aerospace forces have put the new S-400 Triumph air defense missile system into service, and have gone on combat duty for the air defense of Moscow and the central industrial region of Russia.

‘The main task of the anti-aircraft missile troops of the Russian Aerospace Forces is air defense and protecting vital state, military, industry, and energy facilities, as well as the Armed Forces troops and transport communications, from aerospace attacks.’

The system was designed to protect Russia from airstrikes, reported RT.
In recent days, U.S tanks and other armored vehicles have started arriving in Poland as a part of the most massive deployment that the Russian border has seen in decades. 

As this massive buildup continues, many are hoping that the events will come to an end at the beginning of the new presidential administration in the U.S. Unfortunately, it doesn’t appear that there will be enough time to prevent this now looming war from beginning. Actually, it appears that the war dance has already begun, and that we are all just waiting for the drums to start beating.

Source link

The post U.S Military Press Conference: “U.S Is Ready for War in Europe” appeared first on...

17:58

No More "IndyWatch Feed Literature"

what was said is all that will be said
at some point there is no more coming
the provisional answer will stand pat
no one will reach the hoped-for end

so the story is one of inevitable failure
what you expected is not in the cards
the world is doing what all worlds do
each consciousness lost in the general

17:25

Ex-UKIP Member Faces Upto 20 Years in Prison For Wire Fraud "IndyWatch Feed Crypto"

In August of 2016, DeepDotWeb reported the UK Independence Party (UKIP) and the European Parliament member Nigel Farage’s aide’s arrest in the midst of boarding a flight to Britain. During that time, former UKIP aide George Cottrell was charged with 21 offences, including money laundering and blackmail.

This week, Cottrell plead guilty to wire fraud, settling an agreement with the prosecutors. The man in the 20s admitted to most of the claims presented by the prosecutors, including various offers which he submitted to darknet drug traffickers and dealers.

One of the major deals Cottrell offered to darknet traders was a money laundering service, with which he guaranteed to launder up to US$150,000 a month through both domestic and overseas bank accounts. Cottrell convinced illicit drug traders of this method, claiming that the usage of several payment channels can guarantee full anonymity.

However, Cottrell stated in a trial that the entire process was a fraud and an attempt to extract money out of traders on the darknet marketplace. Cottrell, who used the alias “Bill” in the dark web attempted to steal or retain the funds sent from the traders instead of laundering them and sending the payments to an agreed upon account.

Cottrell explained:

“I explained various ways criminal proceeds could be laundered – for example, methods to transfer large amounts of cash out of the United States without triggering reporting requirements and ways to disguise the proceeds as legitimate business income for tax purposes. I falsely claimed that I would launder the criminal proceeds through my bank accounts for a fee. Rather than launder any of the money, though, Banker and I intended to retain the money.”

His confession allowed the prosecutors and the court to drop 20 of the 21 charges and officially charged Cottrell with one offence of wire fraud.

The C grade felony Cottrell is facing can earn him up to 20 years in prison and a $250,000 fine. While the final consequence has not been disclosed to the public yet, it is likely that Cottrell will face full 20 years in jail.

Cottrell is currently awaiting his final trial in March, in which he will be sentenced for one charge of wire fraud. A judge denied to bail him out in consideration of serious gambling problem and his “irrational” risk taking and decision making.

The coverage of Cottrell’s trial attracted extensive mainstream media interests, as he is estimated to be worth over $306 million due to a family trust fund founded by his mother Fiona Cottrell. Criticisms and curiosity of the general population arose when they found out that Cot...

17:07

Alex Jones 1-13-17… “We should be beside ourselves and give thanks to God for what’s happening” "IndyWatch Feed Spiritual"

https://youtu.be/Q4FNWbI-dZ4

[Note: the title quote comes at 1:13.]

The message conveyed by Alex Jones in this video I found very uplifting and inspiring. We are in a time of massive exposure and massive awakening and we have chosen to be here… now.

I am not going to be “half measured” about any of this… the cabal is going down. It will not get back up, as long as we continue to assist The Light in flowing into and through this planet, and its occupants. In my view it is most important to support the Light and all of the aspects of the Light and all of the ways it is incoming.

Stand up and ride the wave… or stay on shore and watch everyone else. That’s where we are at. Right now.

I feel it is so important to remain out of the FPC (Fear Porn Circle) and I do not pay attention to (or post) the “Fear Porners”. Many are saying the Trump administration will be horrible… he’s being controlled… his appointees are on the dark side. And you can’t be gay, can’t be a woman, can’t be of any body color other than white, have to carry a gun, live in the country, build an underground shelter, buy 10 years worth of prepper supplies. Bullshit!!! All part of the FPC.

That’s why I post an occasional video with messages like this one. I say, “Stay in the Light, BE the Light, and no matter what, ALL will BE right.”

Filed under: apocalypse, cabal, energies, new energies, partners in contrast Tagged: Alex Jones, Donald Trump ...

17:00

What If Everything You Were Taught Was A Lie? "IndyWatch Feed Spiritual"

There is a war going on right now and it doesn’t involve guns or the military industrial complex. It’s a war on consciousness and most people are clueless that it even exists.

Education or Indoctrination?

Ultimately, the education system can be blamed for feeding us propaganda and forcing us to regurgitate it so we can “fit in” with the rest of society.

Our public school systems are set up to get the students primed for economic slavery without ever offering courses that allow to students to think creatively or freely.

Read Entire Article »

17:00

Comic for 2017.01.14 "IndyWatch Feed Comics"

New Cyanide and Happiness Comic

California Charges Man With Caffeine DUI "IndyWatch Feed Health"

By Dr. Mercola

Some cases are interesting, and some are downright weird. Reports of a man arrested on charges of driving under the influence of caffeine definitely fall into the second category.

It started on August 5, 2015, when Joseph Schwab was driving home from work and got pulled over in Fairfield, California, by Agent Ott from the California department of alcoholic beverage control, who was driving an unmarked vehicle.

The agent said she was suspicious because Schwab was "weaving in and out of traffic, almost causing several collisions," exhibiting "erratic and reckless driving," including cutting her off in traffic. Schwab was booked on a DUI charge, more specifically, driving under the influence of caffeine.

Solano County District Attorney Krishna Abrams said Schwab "seemed very amped up, very agitated, very combative and she thought he was under the influence of something."1 She added that they were sure Schwab was on something because of the officer's statement.

When the 36-year-old union glazier worker was booked into the Solano County Jail and subsequently underwent "several field sobriety tests," his pupils were dilated, but nothing showed up in his blood screenings but caffeine.

"I was 100 percent confident that I was not under the influence of anything," Schwab said.2 Nevertheless, he was charged with misdemeanor driving under the influence of a drug.

Schwab's defense attorney, Stacey Barrett, said she'd never seen such a thing, and never heard of it, either. "I actually consulted with the other attorneys in my office to make sure that I wasn't missing something."3

How Can You Charge Somebody With Driving Under the Influence of Caffeine?

Here's the odd part — one of them anyway: Schwab's breathalyzer test showed a 0.00 percent blood alcohol level.

His blood was drawn voluntarily at the county jail, but the resulting toxicology report was negative for the usual suspects: cocaine, benzodiazepines, opiates, THC, carisoprodol (a muscle relaxant), oxycodone,...

Life Lessons From 100-Plus-Year-Olds "IndyWatch Feed Health"

By Dr. Mercola

Age is just a number, and this is clearly evident in the lives of the three centenarians interviewed in the LifeHunters video above.

Each has his or her own story — Clifford Crozier, born in 1915; Emilia Tereza Harper, born in 1913; and John Millington Denerley, born in 1914 — but you'll notice a certain "je ne sais quoi" that they all seem to share.

Positivity and strength are certainly apparent, along with a will to live and a continued interest in and curiosity about the world around them.

Even as times changed, these people kept on living, adapting to and welcoming the new phases of their lives. It's this fortitude and emotional resilience that has likely played a major role in their longevity.

Emotional Resilience and Optimism Help You Stay Young at Heart

Each of the centenarians in the video look far younger than their chronological years, and they certainly don't act their age (who knows how a 100-year-old is "supposed" to act anyway). Their positive attitudes undoubtedly are to credit for helping them stay young at heart, and research backs this up.

In a study of 100 seniors (average age of 81), those who were exposed to implicit positive messages (words like creative, spry and fit) experienced gains in their physical strength.1

It's evidence that your mind truly does have power over your body, and all of the centenarians interviewed exemplify this. If you believe your body and mind will fail you as you age, it may very well follow suit.

But the opposite also holds true, especially if your positive mindset is combined with the basic requirements for healthy living (like good sleep, fresh healthy food and staying active).

The majority of centenarians report feeling about 20 years younger than their chronological age, and their mindset has a lot to do with this self-perception.

Though Denerley is 102, for instance, he states that he feels like he's 69 or 79. There's a good chance, too, that if you were to evaluate his biological age, it would be closer to how he feels than to his actual chronological age.

Interestingly, experts also agree that using acceptable biomarkers to determine biological age (such...

16:29

Common Sense Prenatal Weight Gain Recommendations for "Obese" Women "IndyWatch Feed Fertility"

The 2009 IOM Guidelines for Prenatal Weight Gain
Coming up with official prenatal weight gain guidelines is difficult. There's always a trade-off involved ─ too much weight gain increases the risk for large babies, but too little increases the risk for small babies.

(The effects of weight gain on cesarean rates and pre-eclampsia are harder to figure out because of multiple variables that influence outcomes, so we will limit our discussion for a moment to the influence of weight gain on fetal outcomes.)

This weight gain trade-off has been particularly difficult to figure out in women of size. We tend to have larger babies on average and a very big weight gain seems to increase fetal size particularly strongly in high-BMI women. Nor do we need to gain extra fat reserves for pregnancy and breastfeeding. As a result, the Institute of Medicine (IOM) recommends less weight gain on average for "obese" women (see chart above).

While I don't hate these recommendations, I do have some concerns with them, particularly for women in the borderline categories (see discussion below). Women in these categories may be particularly at risk for poor outcomes, yet they are given the same stringent guidelines (and are often told to gain even less than the guidelines).

I also question how much control women really have over gestational weight gains. Sure, we have control over how much we eat and exercise, but that impact on gain is fairly minimal. There have been many trials of interventions to help obese women keep their weight gains lower; some have had minimal success (about 5 lbs. difference), but many have made little...

16:25

The Indigo List Of How To Tell That You’re An Empath "IndyWatch Feed Spiritual"

by Sara Starfire guest writer for In5D.com Recently I have been guided to start writing a blog more focused on how to live and cope as an empath Indigo. Honestly, I find it rather daunting and tiring to think about it. After thirty-nine years, I’m not even sure where to begin. So I started trying […]

16:10

Energy Update – Moving Into Ultra Sonic Frequencies "IndyWatch Feed Spiritual"

by Lisa Brown, Moving into ultra sonic frequencies loves. These do many things (as all activations do). Some are: star particle activations (itchies), reverberation out (and back of those unconscious programs, faster/instantaneously until the moment one becomes conscious and clears that entire program, yet there may be physical reality “consequences” (effects) as a result of […]

16:05

A Peaceful Path On Your Journey "IndyWatch Feed Spiritual"

by Angelica Rose, Guest writer, In5D.com We all want to find a peaceful journey on our path in life. A peaceful journey includes an abundance of unconditional love, peace, and joy. It is easy to practice peacefulness when we are on vacation or in a nature environment. The challenges occur when we are surrounded by […]

16:00

The Utter Stupidity of the New Cold War "IndyWatch Feed Spiritual"

It seems so strange, twenty-seven years after the fall of the Berlin Wall, to be living through a new Cold War with (as it happens, capitalist) Russia.

The Russian president is attacked by the U.S. political class and media as they never attacked Soviet leaders; he is personally vilified as a corrupt, venal dictator, who arrests or assassinates political opponents and dissident journalists, and is hell-bent on the restoration of the USSR.

(The latter claim rests largely on Vladimir Putin’s comment that the dissolution of the Soviet Union was a “catastrophe” and “tragedy” — which in many respects it was. The press chooses to ignore his comment that “Anyone who does not miss the Soviet Union has no heart, while anyone who wants to restore it has no brain.”

It conflicts with the simple talking-point that Putin misses the imperial Russia of the tsars if not the commissars and, burning with resentment over the west’s triumph in the Cold War, plans to exact revenge through wars of aggression and territorial expansion.)

Read Entire Article »

16:00

Australian Dollar and Bitcoin "IndyWatch Feed Crypto"

1.00 AUD = 0.0009 BTC
0.0010 BTC = 1.10 AUD
Converter

Bitcoin and United States Dollar "IndyWatch Feed Crypto"

0.0010 BTC = 0.83 USD
1.00 USD = 0.0012 BTC
Converter

15:38

COBRA | Important Situation Update -- 2017 More Light Presence, Strange Clouds, New Positive Group, and more "IndyWatch Feed Spiritual"

(Cobra) Year 2017 will see much more presence of the Light on the surface of the planet than any of the previous years, as the presence of the non-physical Light particles from the Galactic Center has increased greatly. On the last day of 2016, there were many signs in the sky in the form of polar stratospheric clouds and other unusual cloud phenomena:
Read more »

Update - Open ET Contact, UFO Battles, Galactic Alignments, a Planetary Shift into an Age of Abundance "IndyWatch Feed Spiritual"

Source - Discerning The Mystery

by Shem El-Jamal, December 9, 2016

This latest update from Kent Dunn and Gary Larrabee includes many different points to consider. The subjects range from skirmishes between ETs to planetary and cosmic alignments, the Secret Space Program, and a number of points on the subject of archaeology and ancient civilizations.

Read more »

Cosmic Disclosure with Corey Goode and David Wilcock - Law of One and the Secret Space Program - Technological Salvation "IndyWatch Feed Spiritual"

by Shem El-Jamal, December 6, 2016

This episode of the series brought another opportunity to hear one of my favorite subjects discussed. This is the correlations between the Law of One and the various testimonies on the Secret Space Program from Corey Goode and numerous other whistleblowers.

Read more »

Cosmic Disclosure with Corey Goode and David Wilcock – Troubling Encounters – Rushed Meetings and Unanswered Questions "IndyWatch Feed Spiritual"

by Shem El-Jamal, December 4, 2016

Considering the theme of the last episode of Cosmic Disclosure, this discussion seems to fit in the same category. This category is on subjects that may not be the most pleasant among other topics, but which offer value in a different way. This discussion leans toward topics which at times, might be seen as negative at first glance. However, there are multiple lessons within the disclosures of Corey Goode which may prove to be valuable for each one of us.

Read more »

15:28

The Occult Meanings of Birthday: Why You Should Stop Celebrating Your Birthday "IndyWatch Feed Spiritual"

black-red-birthday-cake

To innerstand what a birthday is really about, you need to study the legal definitions of the word birth and use the art of homophone to find other words related to the word birth. Furthermore, you need to study the occult (hidden) meanings of the birth certificate. After doing these things, you should come to the conclusion that a birthday is an event for celebrating the birth of a corpse, a dead baby or a still-born child.

Here is an excerpt from an article I wrote titled The Law and You: How the Birth Certificate is Used to Take Away Your Natural Rights that explains why a birth certificate is a death certificate:

In my book titled Word Magic: The Powers & Occult Definitions of Words, I said that a birth certificate is actually a death certificate. Bill confirms this by saying that the Births, Deaths, Marriages, and Relationships Registration Act 1995 defines the word birth using these exact words: “includes a still-birth”. Here is a screenshot of the interpretation section of that registration act:

Picture of Births, Deaths, Marriages, and Relationships Registration Act 1995

In the legal system, when the word include is used in an interpretation or definition, it excludes everything else that is not in that interpretation or definition. In other words, the phrase “includes a still-birth” means that it only includes a still-birth and nothing else. The “product” of a still-birth is a still-born child, which is a child incapable of living or dead. Therefore, the hidden meaning of a birth certificate is a certificate of a dead child or a death certificate.

By agreeing t...

15:11

China To Trump: ‘Prepare For War’ "IndyWatch Feed Uncanny"

Chinese government officials have warned Donald Trump that he better prepare America for a war with China.

According to the state run Chinese newspaper Global Times, the U.S. should “prepare for a military clash,” after US Secretary of State nominee Rex Tillerson called for a blockade of South China Sea islands.

Independent.co.uk reports:

He “had better bone up on nuclear power strategies if he wants to force a big nuclear power to withdraw from its own territories”, the paper, which is known for writing hawkish editorials, said. However, despite being state run, it does not necessarily reflect government policy.

In its first response to Mr Tillerson’s comments, China’s foreign ministry stressed the importance of mutual respect and cooperation with the US.

At a daily briefing spokesman Lu Kang Lu said relations between the two countries were based on “non-confrontation, non-conflict, mutual benefit and win-win cooperation.”

The energy-rich South China Sea through which about $5 trillion (£4 trillion) in ship-borne trade passes every year has nonetheless been a source of tension in the region.

Despite competing claims from other countries, including the Philippines and Vietnam, China has built seven artificial islands on reefs and rocks, outfitting them with military length airstrips and anti-aircraft guns.

During his time in office, President Barack Obama’s administration has conducted periodic air and naval patrols to assert the right of free navigation in the South China Sea.

These have angered Beijing and a Chinese warship recently seized a US Navy underwater drone before returning it a few days later.

Seeking to blockade China’s man-made islands would be a major step that Washington has never raised as an option

The Global Times editorial said: “The US has no absolute power to dominate the South China Sea. Tillerson had better bone up on nuclear power strategies if he wants to force a big nuclear power to withdraw from its own territories.

“If Trump’s diplomatic team shapes future Sino-US ties as it is doing now, the two sides had better prepare for a military clash.

15:00

Soros Lost $1 Billion Following Trump Election "IndyWatch Feed Spiritual"

(ZHE) While Carl Icahn infamously made a killing following the “surprise” Trump election, another prominent hedge fund manager was not nearly as lucky.

According to the WSJ, “George Soros lost nearly $1 billion as a result of the stock-market rally spurred by Donald Trump’s surprise presidential election.

Which, of course means, he only has $29 or so billion left.

As discussed in 2016, Soros returned to trading at Soros Fund Management LLC, which manages $30 billion for the Soros and his family.

Read Entire Article »

14:54

German court calls synagogue torching an act to 'criticize Israel' "IndyWatch Feed Spiritual"

By BENJAMIN WEINTHAL

Thu, 12 Jan 2017, 05:41 PM

"A regional court in Germany has decided that a brutal attempt to set fire to a local synagogue in 2014 was an act meant to express criticism against Israel's conduct in its ongoing conflict with Gaza" Quote from Jerusaleum Post:

http://m.jpost.com/Diaspora/German-court-calls-synagogue-torching-an-act-to-criticize-Israel-478330#article=6023OEJFQjg4RjY1OTg3M0NDN0Y1RUJERTczNzg1Q0E2OUU=

14:34

Fake Food vs. Real Food – A Question of Life or Death "IndyWatch Feed Spiritual"

by Julian Rose; Waking Times

As the New Year dawns, so does our thinking process have an opportunity to do likewise. And why not make it a first call to get your priorities sorted out about your 2017 eating habits? After all, it is the quality of the fuel that you put in the tank that ensures how well your engine runs.

Although they might look nice, the great majority of supermarket foods are just a brilliant con trick. And I’m telling you this, sensing that the majority reading this article are most likely still doing most of their food shopping in a supermarket or ‘superstore’.

Alright, so put on your safety belt, because I’m going to take you on a rapid ride down the isles of that ‘superstore’ just down the road from you.

First impression: Wow, so much choice! Wrong, the product range you are looking at is made up of many slight variations of ‘one food’, and that one food has a number of different manufacturers. So you go to get a litre or two of milk; Oh my! Six different mega dairies have their goods on display, all churning out the same white stuff (called milk), and they all look identical. Choice? Oh yes, you can have skimmed, reduced low-fat, or whole; all of which are pasteurised and homogenized. And, of course, there’s ultra heat-treated (UHT). But there’s no ‘milk’ available. I think you get my drift: each of those products is a denatured distortion of ‘real milk’. Real Milk is ‘illegal’ in these places – unless you’re in France. Raw unpasteurised milk, with nothing added or taken out: not allowed.
Read more »

14:26

Ugly, Scarred Apples Taste Better Than Perfect Ones, So What’s With All The Food Waste? "IndyWatch Feed Spiritual"

by Brianna Acuesta; True Activist

They're healthier and taste better, what's not to love?

Pretty much everyone who buys fruit at a market, be it a farmer’s market or the local supermarket, is privy to searching for the perfect-looking produce and leaving behind the fruits and vegetables with marks or holes in them. But what if it turns out that the uglier the fruit, the better it tastes?

Eliza Greenman, an orchardist and consultant for growing fruits, runs an apple farm and describes herself as “obsessed” with growing fruit trees for the past decade. After she started studying the ways that fruits are produced to be perfect, she started to question the status quo and started a blog to publish her findings.

Credit: Max Pixel
“I’m absolutely infatuated with the idea of stress in an orchard,” Greenman told NPR. “I believe stress can help create a super fruit.”
Read more »

14:11

The Cure for Everything and Why Things Are Different This Time "IndyWatch Feed Spiritual"

by Tony Cartalucci; LocalOrg

The years between 2010 and 2020 may likely be remembered as the decade of gene therapy, and perhaps, the end of cancer, heart disease, blindness, deafness, and even aging - if this revolutionary technology is properly implemented and integrated into our healthcare infrastructure. But it will not happen without effort, or even without a fight - for gene therapy threatens to undermine and overturn some of the largest and most influential corporate monopolies on Earth.

Gene Therapy is Already a Working "Miracle Cure"

In 2012, at the age of six years old, Emily Whitehead was enrolled in a phase I clinical trial at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia to treat her acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL). She had failed to respond to all other treatments.

The clinical trial involved removing and genetically regineering her immune system's T-cells. Using viruses as a vector to insert new DNA into her T-cells, they were now able to recognize and destroy the cancer that was killing her. The cells were reintroduced to Emily's body intravenously, where they both fought the cancer, and replicated themselves just as all human cells do - with the difference being that the corrected DNA was replicated along with them.
Read more »

14:03

Don’t believe in UFOs? These 3 Declassified Military videos will change your mind "IndyWatch Feed Spiritual"

by Ancient Code

One of the videos was recorded in 2004, another one in 2013 and the newest one in 2014. In the videos, we see a UFO performing maneuvers, unlike anything mankind can create today, ignoring gravity and laws that govern over manmade vehicles. Both videos were analyzed by experts who agree that the objects in question are extraordinary and unlike anything they’ve ever seen. Some of these UFO’s were not visible to the naked eye and somehow managed to avoid being detected on radar.

In the 21st century, there are two types of people when alien life is discussed. Those who firmly believe we are being visited –and have been visited for thousands of years— and those who believe that UFO sightings are entirely a man-made phenomenon.

In an interview with Neil deGrasse Tyson for a National Geographic Star Talk entitled, “The Science of Alien Sightings,” Senior SETI astronomer Seth Shostak said that “a third of the public believes in the “UFO phenomena.”

Certainly, while there are countless faked videos available on the internet, there are a couple of videos which are beyond fascinating. They are bewildering.

Two of those videos have recently been declassified by the government.
Read more »

14:00

Do Not Burn Bridges, Walk Over Them "IndyWatch Feed Spiritual"

You must withdraw from the people and places that hold you back from expressing and experiencing your true inner potential. I’ll just say it, no one is here to save anyone.
The people that want to be ‘saved’ will simply want that. The people who are ready to know are already gathering the knowledge necessary and grouping with like-minded individuals. That’s it. We are not capable of truly saving anyone. The only thing we can do is offer the path, the door and the keys but the individuals must learn through experience by taking those steps to unlock the truth themselves.
This is a mystical, alchemical experience that occurs within and takes a lifetime to understand. Everyone who is here now, has been doing this and preparing, whether consciously or subconsciously, for a very long time. This has been happening for eons and this is simply the way it happens.
If it all happened over night, would the knowledge gained really be that interesting or eternal? Pick who you allow into your life and only remain and allow your energy to settle around those who are...

DIY Salvaged Junk Projects 361 with tips "IndyWatch Feed Craft"

diy-salvaged-junk-projects-361-46-am  DIY Salvaged Junk Projects 361 Every Friday, 7 PM through Sunday 11 PM Pacific Happy weekend, and thanks for joining us once again!  So… you may remember me asking for your input last weekend, on all things link party. In a nutshell, I am completely honoured, in this day and age where link parties are […]

The post DIY Salvaged Junk Projects 361 with tips appeared first on Funky Junk Interiors.

Mexico to the Brink of Revolution — Nobody’s Talking About It "IndyWatch Feed Spiritual"

(ANTIMEDIA) Long-simmering social tensions in Mexico are threatening to boil over as failing neoliberal reforms to the country’s formerly nationalized gas sector are compounded by open corruption, stagnant standards of living, and rampant inflation.

The U.S. media has remained mostly mute on the situation in Mexico, even as the unfolding civil unrest has closed the U.S.-Mexico border in San Diego, California, several times in the past week.

Ongoing “gasolinazo” protests in Mexico over a 20 percent rise in gas prices have led to over 400 arrests, 250 looted stores, and six deaths. Roads are being blockaded, borders closed, and government buildings are being sacked.

Protests have remained relatively peaceful overall, except for several isolated violent acts, which activists have blamed on government infiltrators.

Read Entire Article »

13:52

Ibis Birds To Be Renamed Bin-Chickens "IndyWatch Feed Satire"

CLANCY OVERELL | Editor | CONTACT The street bird known as the Ibis will now be referred to as a ‘bin-chicken’ following direct action from the Minister for Agriculture. This follows a series of complaints from official Zoologists, who feel the word Ibis should not apply to the Australianised species. “Ibis is an African word […]

13:52

Message from Mike Quinsey 1-13-17… "IndyWatch Feed Spiritual"

mike_quinsey_new_51A new Mike Quinsey. There are many points which I feel are important and helpful to remember as we move forward and upward into the “New Planet Earth”.

Particularly I use caution and discernment regarding all data about “deliveries”, “packages”, “resets”, “RVs”, and all that. I like to remember that everything we need is within ourselves, and whatever we need is supplied as we need it, and intend it.

“You only have to look around you to see that so much is taking place with your world that it has become an absolute hive of activity. Slowly but surely those who deal in all aspects of war are finding it difficult to continue their actions with any certainty, as their support is not as strong as it was. Also the Forces of Light are more active and achieving much more success than previously expected.

“Much of your focus is upon the coming Re-Valuation of your currencies, that has now commenced. Its impact will be enormous resulting in a World Market Place, that gives all countries an equal opportunity to trade with one another. When you can finally claim that all exist in a trouble-free World where peace has been established, the skies the limit where your ambitions are concerned.

“Whilst on Earth you tend to be given the tasks that when successfully completed will lift you up. However, when you no longer need the experiences of the lower dimensions to evolve, you will have more say as far as which direction you go in. It must however be pointed out that you may have come to Earth specifically to help those souls who are struggling, in which case when you have completed your...

13:23

The 12-Month Mindful Challenge. "IndyWatch Feed Spiritual"

Inspired in part by The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin, I opted to think up 12 ways to be

12:39

Habitat for Humanity ReStores "IndyWatch Feed Diy"

There are lots of building supply bargains at Habitat for Humanity ReStores

There are lots of building supply bargains at Habitat for Humanity ReStores

“A good deal for you, your community and the environment.
Habitat for Humanity ReStores are nonprofit home improvement stores and donation centers that sell new and gently used furniture, appliances, home accessories, building materials and more to the public at a fraction of the retail price.

ReStores are independently owned and operated by local Habitat for Humanity organizations. Proceeds are used to help build strength, stability, self-reliance and shelter in local communities and around the world.”

Habitat for Humanity ReStores
Image source: The Reflector
“Habitat for Humanity and their volunteers have built, rehabilitated or restored over 1/2 million homes, for families around the world and have helped 2.5 million people finance those homes.

In addition to those well-known activities, Habitat for Humanity also operates ReStores, where they accept donations of “gently-used” or surplus building, electrical and lighting materials, furniture, appliances and just about everything you can find in a home, and then sell those items at a fraction of the retail price. Habitat for Humanity uses the profits from these stores to work toward their mission to “build homes, communities and hope.”

-

12:24

WTF! This doctor says the #vaccines are safe and also says seizures aren't dangerous. I think she got it backward. "IndyWatch Feed Health"

http://health.usnews.com/health-news/articles/2014/06/09/combo-vaccine-raises-risk-of-fever-related-seizures-in-toddlers-study

12:13

Yoga practice combined with outpatient eating disorder treatment were shown to decrease anxiety, depression, and body image disturbance. "IndyWatch Feed Health"

PMID:  . PMID: 27980773 Abstract Title:  Use of yoga in outpatient eating disorder treatment: a pilot study. Abstract:  BACKGROUND: Individuals with restrictive eating disorders present with co-morbid psychiatric disorders and many attempt to control symptoms using strenuous exercises that increase caloric expenditure. Yoga offers a safe avenue for the engagement in physical activity while providing an outlet for disease-associated symptoms. This study sought to examine use of yoga practice in an outpatient setting and its impact on anxiety, depression and body image disturbance in adolescents with eating disorders. METHODS: Twenty adolescent girls were recruited from an urban eating disorders clinic who participated in weekly yoga classes at a local studio, in addition to standard multidisciplinary care. Yoga instructors underwent training regarding this patient population. Participants completed questionnaires focused on anxiety, depression and body image disturbance prior to the first class, and following completion of 6 and 12 classes. RESULTS: In participants who completed the study, a statistically significant decrease in anxiety, depression, and body image disturbance was seen, including: Spielberger State anxiety mean scores decreased after the completion of 7-12 yoga classes [47 (95%CI 42-52) to 42 (95%CI 37-47), adj. p = 0.0316]; as did the anorexia nervosa scale [10 (95% CI 7-12) vs. 6 (95%CI 4-8), adj. p = .0004], scores on Beck depression scales [18 (95%CI 15-22) to 10 (95%CI 6-14), adj. p = .0001], and weight and shape concern scores [16 (95%CI 12-20) to 12 (95%CI 8-16), adj. p =0.0120] and [31 (95%CI 25-37) to 20 (95%CI 13-27), adj. p = 0.0034], respectively. No significant changes in body mass index were seen throughout the trial. CONCLUSIONS: Yoga practice combined with outpatient eating disorder treatment were shown to decrease anxiety, depression, and body image disturbance without negatively impacting weight. These preliminary results suggest yoga to be a promising adjunct treatment strategy, along with standard multidisciplinary care. However, whether yoga should be endorsed as a standard component of outpatient eating disorder treatment merits further study.

read more

12:11

Vaccineimpact has links to dozens of #vaccination injury cases focusing mainly on Gardasil HPV #vaccine "IndyWatch Feed Fertility"

http://vaccineimpact.com/2016/iowa-girl-faces-death-life-destroyed-by-gardasil-vaccine/

12:10

It's explosion in 1883 is considered to be the loudest sound ever heard in history and killed 36,000: Krakatoa (Mount Anak Krakataus) is on alert status "IndyWatch Feed Uncanny"

• The explosion it caused in 1883 is considered to be the loudest sound ever heard in modern history
  • It’s eruption was among the most violent volcanic events in recorded history.
  • Estimated Volcanic Explosivity Index (VEI) of 6, the eruption was equivalent to 200 megatons of TNT (840 PJ)—about 13,000 times the nuclear yield of the Little Boy bomb (13 to 16 kt) that devastated Hiroshima, Japan, during World War II, and four times the yield of Tsar Bomb (50 Mt), the most powerful nuclear device ever detonated.
  • It destroyed 165 villages and towns were destroyed near Krakatoa, and 132 were seriously damaged. At least 36,417 people died, and many more thousands were injured, mostly from the tsunamis that followed the explosion. The eruption destroyed two-thirds of the island of Krakatoa.

Mount Anak Krakataus volcanic activity is normal but remains on alert status, so the local fishermen and tourists are warned to stay away from the active volcano.

“In the past week, three to four volcanic activities have been reported per day, and yesterday, there were two shallow volcanic activities and a deep tremor.
Hence, the fishermen and tourists are warned to stay away,” Abdi Suardi, head of the Mt Anak Krakatau observation post, stated in Hargopancuran village on Friday.
Suardi reiterated that the volcano remained on alert status due to which the people have been advised to not venture into a radius of one kilometer of the mountain, as the condition of this active volcano is difficult to predict.
In connection with this, fishermen and tourists were urged to remain heedful of the warning to stay away from the volcano in Sunda Strait. In the years before the 1883 eruption, seismic activity around the Krakatau (Krakatoa) volcano was intense, with earthquakes being felt as far away as Australia.

Krakatoa, or Krakatau (Indonesian:
Krakatau), is a volcanic island situated in the Sunda Strait between the
islands of Java and Sumatra in the Indonesian province of Lampung. The name is
also used for the surrounding island group comprising the remnants of a much
larger island of three volcanic peaks which was obliterated in a cataclysmic
1883 eruption, unleashing huge tsunam...

12:04

Carinda pauses to remember David Bowie: “The poof who danced in our pub” "IndyWatch Feed Satire"

14 January, 2017. 12:23 ERROL PARKER | Editor-at-large | Contact Just over a year since his passing, the residents of a tiny community in the New South Wales north-west has paused this morning to remember the life of British rockstar, David Bowie. The one-horse-whistle-stop town of Carinda played host to Bowie when he filmed the video […]

11:52

A review of the effect of exercise on the quality of life in type 2 diabetes mellitus. "IndyWatch Feed Health"

PMID:  . PMID: 27990609 Abstract Title:  Effect of exercise on the quality of life in type 2 diabetes mellitus: a systematic review. Abstract:  PURPOSE: Diabetic patients tend to have a poor quality of life. A sedentary lifestyle is considered to be a modifiable risk factor for type 2 diabetes and an independent predictor of poor quality of life. Exercise is a key treatment for people living with diabetes. The purpose of this study was to conduct a systematic review to assess the effect of exercise on the quality of life of people with type 2 diabetes. METHODS: We conducted a systematic review using the Preferred Reporting Items for Systematic Reviews and Meta-Analyses guidelines. PubMed, Web of Science, Embase, Cochrane Library, CINAHL and three Chinese databases were searched for studies published until January 2016. The review included all clinical trials that evaluated the effect of exercise on quality of life compared with that of usual care for people with type 2 diabetes. Two reviewers independently assessed the quality of all the included studies, by using the Downs and Black Quality Index (QI). RESULTS: Thirty studies met inclusion criteria, with 2785 participants. We divided the exercise into four modes: aerobic, resistance, a combination of aerobic and resistance and yoga. Aerobic exercise showed a significant effect between groups. Resistance and combined exercise showed mixed results. Yoga also showed good intervention effects on quality of life. CONCLUSIONS: The effect of aerobic exercise on the quality of life in people with type 2 diabetes was safe and effective. Then, most of the studies on aerobic exercise were of good methodological quality. The effects of resistance exercise and combined exercise on the quality of life in people with type 2 diabetes were mixed, and the effect of yoga on quality of life still need more research.

read more

11:50

“China’s Next Time Bomb” – A Look Inside The Insane World Of China’s Bitcoin Traders "IndyWatch Feed Crypto"

By Tyler Durden

The recent tumble in bitcoin, driven by a stampede of Chinese sellers who until last week were willing buyers at any price, has exposed the weakest link in bitcoin’s until recently exponential rise: the mood and social psychology of Chinese momentum and bubble chasers, who like clockwork rush into any one given asset, bid it up to ridiculous levels, watch the bubble burst, before moving on to the next bubble.

The good news is that courtesy of $25 trillion in local savings, or more than double the amount in the US, the bubble eventually returns to where it burst. The bad news is that in the meantime, those who chased the original bubble lose most if not all of their money.

Unfortunately, for most of China’s bitcoin traders, the bad news may be just starting.

Take the story of Ding Wen, who by the age of 34 had built up a personal fortune of more than two million yuan after years of hard work at an internet company in Nanjing, in east China’s Jiangsu province. But, as SCMP recounts his tale, Wen saw most of that wealth go up in smoke on January 5, when China’s bitcoin market crashed, sending the price of the virtual currency plunging 40 per cent in just a few hours after lunch.

With the market in free fall, Ding was unable to log into his account with China’s biggest bitcoin trading platform, Huobi, meaning he could not sell off his holdings or top up his principal to meet the margin call. By the time he managed to log on in the evening, most of the bitcoins in his account had been compulsorily sold off by Huobi for 6,361 yuan each, lower than his purchase price of 8,101 yuan. This included the part of his investment he had bought using a loan he obtained from Huobi by pledging the bitcoins he owned originally.

“I have taken on big risks when making leveraged betting, but the collapse of the trading system made me unable to run stop-loss orders, so I think the platform should compensate for investors’ losses,” Ding said.

The platform disagrees.

11:39

When I Wed the World. "IndyWatch Feed Spiritual"

This is the ceremony we all need to take part in:

11:33

Why I Don’t Believe in Heroes. "IndyWatch Feed Spiritual"

I have many people in my life I call heroes, but she might be right about this one:

11:30

Stanford Researchers Create a 20 Cent Centrifuge That Detects Malaria "IndyWatch Feed Spiritual"

"Centrifuges are a key component in the proper diagnoses, and therefore, treatment of diseases like malaria. Conventional centrifuges are used to spin blood using electricity. The centrifugal force of the spinning causes the components making up a blood sample into layers based on their respective densities. Red blood cells collect at the bottom of the tube and plasma settles on top. In cases of blood from patients with malaria, the parasites will be in the middle." Quote from Futurism website:

https://futurism.com/stanford-researchers-create-a-20-cent-centrifuge-that-detects-malaria/

11:27

Self-Love: an Epic Journey. "IndyWatch Feed Spiritual"

This is for anyone who struggles to believe in themselves, who is not comfortable in their own skin and has no idea who they are.

11:26

Europe Looking to Make AI Kill Switch Mandatory "IndyWatch Feed Spiritual"

"Among the more striking propositions the paper cites are:

• Creating a legal status for robots that will dub them as “electronic persons,” implying that machines will have legal rights and obligations to fulfill. This means that robots will have to take responsibility for decisions they make, especially if they have autonomy.
  • A kill switch for all robots that would shut down all functions if necessary.
  • Restrictions on robots to ensure they obey all commands unless those commands would force them to physically do harm to humans or themselves through action or inaction." Quote from Futurism website:

https://futurism.com/europe-looking-to-make-ai-kill-switch-mandatory/

How MS helped me finally Face my Fears. "IndyWatch Feed Spiritual"

Our bodies aren't the only things holding us back:

Signal for Android Updated to Bypass Censorship in Cuba and Oman "IndyWatch Feed Crypto"

http://ift.tt/2jgOVwg

Open Whisper Systems (OWS), the group behind the Signal, encrypted messaging app endorsed by Edward Snowden, updated their Android app to circumvent censorship in Cuba and Oman. The circumvention of such Internet blocking is not a new concept—engineers built Tor for the same reasons. Likewise, this is nothing new for OWS either. In Mid-December, they executed a similar method of circumvention for users in Egypt and the United Arab Emirates.

The organization published a blog post titled “Doodles, stickers, and censorship circumvention for Signal Android.” After the stickers and doodles mention, the post described the situation in Egypt and the United Arab Emirates. According to Signal users, OWS explained, Signal’s connection—or lack of connection—decreased the usability to a significant degree. After an investigation, the group discovered that ISPs blocked connections between Signal and the internet.

From the blog post regarding the Egypt and UAE fixes:

“Over the weekend, we heard reports that Signal was not functioning reliably in Egypt or the United Arab Emirates. We investigated with the help of Signal users in those areas and found that several ISPs were blocking communication with the Signal service and our website. It turns out that when some states cannot snoop, they censor.”

This censorship occurred shortly after the Turkish government implemented a 12-hour ban on all social networks—and not even a ban—the government blacked out social media. After the 12-hour blackout had lifted, censorship-monitoring company Turkey Blocks reported and subsequently confirmed that the Turkish government finally put their foot down on Tor users.

From our article on the Tor ban in Turkey:

“Turkey Blocks finds that the Tor direct access mode is now restricted to most internet users throughout the country; Tor usage via bridges including obfs3 and obfs4 remains viable, although we see indications that obfs3 is being downgraded by some service providers with scope for similar on restrictions obfs4. The restrictions are being implemented in tandem with apparent degradation of commercial VPN service traffic.” (TurkeyBlocks)

Open Whisper Systems found that Egypt and the UAE started similarly stopping Signal users. Within a week of the above discovery, OWS began receiving nearly identical reports...

11:20

Street art in Mexico City, Mexico "IndyWatch Feed Arts"

streetart-in-mexico-city-mexico-by-artist-ericailcane

Street art in Mexico City, Mexico,
by artist Ericailcane.
Photo by Ericailcane.

Tagged: graffiti, street art ...

11:18

Ethereum Classic Hard Forks; Diffuses ‘Difficulty Bomb’ "IndyWatch Feed Crypto"

http://ift.tt/2iui4mf

If the split between Ethereum and Ethereum Classic wasn’t definitive yet, it is now.

Ethereum Classic, the project born out of rejection of Ethereum’s reversal of The DAO, just hard forked. With that, Ethereum Classic implemented the biggest protocol change yet, and has furtherdifferentiated itself from the Ethereum project.

Most importantly, the hard fork — dubbed “Die Hard” — diffused the difficulty bomb, which was set to freeze the protocol later this year. Additionally, Ethereum Classic implemented replay protection, to ensure Ethereum transactions are no longer valid on the Ethereum Classic chain and vice versa. It also adjusted technical parameters to increase the cost of certain spam attacks.

“This protocol upgrade demonstrated growing maturity of Ethereum Classic, as it’s starting to blaze its own path not only in terms of ideology, but also technical choices,” Ethereum Classic’s project coordinator, “Arvicco” toldBitcoin Magazine. “Such as a commitment to staying on proof-of-work consensus for a prolonged period.”

The Difficulty Bomb

The original Ethereum protocol, as implemented by the Ethereum Foundation, included a so-called “difficulty bomb.” Baked into the software, Ethereum’s mining difficulty is programmed to increase exponentially over time. This has been unnoticeable up till now, but by around April or May of this year, it is set to increase so rapidly that mining will necessarily become unprofitable. As a result, no more blocks will be found at all, and the protocol will effectively freeze, creating an “Ice Age.”

The Ethereum Foundation implemented this difficulty bomb to force its own hand — and that of the broader Ethereum community. As outlined in its release documents, the Ethereum Foundation planned to roll out the Ethereum project in several stages, each one requiring a hard fork. The difficulty bomb was implemented to ensure that developers and the community would have to switch to a new protocol this year; eventually working towa...

11:14

Important Situation Update – Cobra, Friday Jan 13, 2017 "IndyWatch Feed Spiritual"

Year 2017 will see much more presence of the Light on the surface of the planet than any of the previous years, as the presence of the non-physical Light particles from the Galactic Center has increased greatly. On the last day of 2016, there were many signs in the sky in the form of polar stratospheric clouds and other unusual cloud phenomena:

Some people have interpreted this increased Galactic Light as a sign of a possible Galactic Superwave (read: the Event) in 2017:
In the meantime, clearing of the Chimera Group continues. Recently, an infiltration of the Chimera Group within the rank of the Light Forces inside of this Solar system has been detected. The Chimera was even able to hijack one of the teleportation portals that was transporting captured Cabal members that were about to be taken to the Galactic Central Sun and these were siphoned off to a Chimera base in the Kuiper belt. This situation has already been resolved.
It has also been discovered that the Outer barrier / Tachyon membrane is to a certain degree permeable to plasma anomaly and under certain conditions negative plasma entities can cross that membrane through the tunnels of Set in both directions, in and out of the Solar system. The plasma outside of our Solar System is not...

11:10

Hillary Clinton breaks twitter silence to troll Trump "IndyWatch Feed Satire"

Clinton's first tweet since election will make Trump MAD.

Chair yoga should be further explored as a nonpharmacologic intervention for older people with osteoarthritis in the lower extremities. "IndyWatch Feed Health"

PMID:  J Am Geriatr Soc. 2016 Dec 23. Epub 2016 Dec 23. PMID: 28008603 Abstract Title:  A Pilot Randomized Controlled Trial of the Effects of Chair Yoga on Pain and Physical Function Among Community-Dwelling Older Adults With Lower Extremity Osteoarthritis. Abstract:  OBJECTIVES: To determine effects of Sit 'N' Fit Chair Yoga, compared to a Health Education program (HEP), on pain and physical function in older adults with lower extremity osteoarthritis (OA) who could not participate in standing exercise.DESIGN: Two-arm randomized controlled trial.SETTING: One HUD senior housing facility and one day senior center in south Florida.PARTICIPANTS: Community-dwelling older adults (N = 131) were randomly assigned to chair yoga (n = 66) or HEP (n = 65). Thirteen dropped after assignment but prior to the intervention; six dropped during the intervention; 106 of 112 completed at least 12 of 16 sessions (95% retention rate).INTERVENTIONS: Participants attended either chair yoga or HEP. Both interventions consisted of twice-weekly 45-minute sessions for 8 weeks.MEASUREMENTS: Primary: pain, pain interference; secondary: balance, gait speed, fatigue, functional ability measured at baseline, after 4 weeks of intervention, at the end of the 8-week intervention, and post-intervention (1 and 3 months).RESULTS: The chair yoga group showed greater reduction in pain interference during the intervention (P = .01), sustained through 3 months (P = .022). WOMAC pain (P = .048), gait speed (P = .024), and fatigue (P = .037) were improved in the yoga group during the intervention (P = .048) but improvements were not sustained post intervention. Chair yoga had no effect on balance.CONCLUSION: An 8-week chair yoga program was associated with reduction in pain, pain interference, and fatigue, and improvement in gait speed, but only the effects on pain interference were sustained 3 months post intervention. Chair yoga should be further explored as a nonpharmacologic intervention for older people with OA in the lower extremities.TRIAL REGISTRATION: ClinicalTrials.gov: NCT02113410.

read more

The alt-right will be crushed under the bones of the old media.... "IndyWatch Feed Comics"

The alt-right will be crushed under the bones of the old media. AGC

- Oxyclean

11:02

Summer of Love "IndyWatch Feed Arts"

51SH3A7FE9L._On the 14th of January 1967, The Human Be-In, an event in San Francisco’s Golden Gate Park signalled the beginning of the Summer of Love, which turned the city’s Haight-Ashbury district into the centre point of American counterculture; the world that came to characterise this suburban union was “psychedelic”. Tens of thousands of people gathered for a spectacle which surprised the national media by sheer public enthusiasm. The festival’s organizers, artist Michael Bowen and poet Allen Cohen (also the co-founders of Oracle newspaper), called the event a Be-In, a word-play on the sit-in protests of the civil rights movement, as well as those held at colleges and universities, sometimes referred to as teach-ins.

The Oracle announced on the cover of its 5th issue “A Gathering of the Tribes for a Human Be-In”, a joyous, all-inclusive occasion: “A union of love and activism previously separated by categorical dogma and label mongering will finally occur ecstatically when Berkeley political activists and hip community and San Francisco’s spiritual generation and contingents from the emerging revolutionary generation all over California meet for a Gathering of the Tribes for a Human Be-In. …Music will be played by all the Bay Area rock bands, including the Grateful Dead, Big Brother...

11:00

German TV Channel Says Bitcoin Is “Digital Gold” "IndyWatch Feed Crypto"

One of Germany’s oldest and most well known publicly owned television channels Das Erste recently aired a full featured news report on bitcoin, referring to the cryptocurrency as “digital gold.”

Also read: Bitstamp Tries the Crowdfunding Route at $60 Million Valuation

A German Reporter Learns that Bitcoin Gives Individuals a Banking Choice, Being Your Own Bank

g1In a recently broadcast television show a Das Erste reporter provides an in-depth description of the innovative digital currency bitcoin. After a summary of bitcoin, the episode sees the news reporter travel to the Cryptoanarchy Institute in Paralelní Polis meeting Martijn Wismeijer, a marketing manager at General Bytes. Martijn Wismeijer is well known for his bio-chip implanted bitcoin wallet and shows the news correspondent how it works.

“I’ve had a chip implant, since 2014,” explains Wismeijer purchasing a Red Bull using the NFC bitcoin wallet in his hand. “You can hardly see it, but here is the antenna, next to the chip. If I want to buy, I just wave my hand at the checkout or the machine over there.”

After getting an energy drink from the machine using bitcoin Wismeijer tells the reporter “this is the future.” The General Bytes manager explains that bitcoin doesn’t rely on a third party and traditional bank accounts are not necessary. Wismeijer notes, “Banks will always be there, but with bitcoin, you have a choice for the first time in history!” It’s the first digital currency of it’s kind that no longer needs banks.

11:00

10:59

Pepsi And Coca-Cola Used As Pesticide In India Because They’re Cheap And Get The Job Done! "IndyWatch Feed Food"

Alok Prasad Putul writes that “Farmers in India have been using Pepsi and Coca–Cola as a cheaper alternative to pesticides.”  Therefore, besides being a poison to the human body, these drinks are also used in other ways around the world.

The Center for Science and Environment (CSE) , which is one of India’s leading voluntary agencies, claims that the soft drinks produced in India,  including those with the brand names Pepsi and Coca-Cola, contain extremely high levels of pesticide residues, and due to this, farmers use them to fight pests as they are cheaper than the conventional pesticides.

In the third countries, it is cheaper to buy Coke than to find clean water. This drink has been tested due to its cleaning effects, and it has been found to be quite effective in cleaning oil stains, tile grout and even strip paint off the cabinets.

In 2003, the CSE analyzed samples from 12 major soft drink manufacturers and discovered that all of them had residues of 4 extremely toxic pesticides and insecticides, lindane, DDT, malathion and chlorpyrifos.

Sunita Narain, the director of the CSE, reported the following at a press conference:

“In all the samples tested, the levels of pesticide residue far exceeded the maximum permissible total pesticide limit of 0.0005 mg per liter in water used as food, set down by the European Economic Commission (EEC).”

CDS scientists have reported that regarding the EEC limits, the chlorpyrifos level was 42 times higher, the residues of malathion were 87 times higher, and the levels of lindane-, which is banned in the United States-were21 times higher. Moreover, the stated that the toxins were able to lead to long-term cancer, birth defects, damage to the nervous and reproductive systems, and severe disruption of the immune system.

The CSE findings have shown that the Coca-Cola and Pepsi samples had almost similar concentrations of pesticide residues: namely, the contaminants in Pepsi samples were 37 times higher than the EEC norms, Coca-Cola exceeded the norms by 45 times.

These findings were soon negated by the chiefs of the Indian subsidiaries of Coca-Cola and Pepsi.

Sanjeev Gupta, president of...

10:59

This Vegetable Will Fix Most Everything Wrong in Your Body! "IndyWatch Feed Food"

We can answer that question for you – the name of this super healthy vegetable (which will fix everything wrong in your body) is beet. Yes, we’re talking about the super healthy beets.

Ladies and gentlemen, I really think that beets are awesome. Well yes, and I also think that beets are one of the healthiest vegetables in the world. Beets are filling, sweet, and wonderful! Beets are loaded with healthy nutrients and they can provide many health benefits. Just take a look at the article below and find out more about this.

Beets – they’re commonly used to relieve disorders like anemia. You should also know that they contain high amounts of iron and are a great food to eat if you’re menstruating. Many people around the world used beets (for thousands of years) to treat many different health problems.

As we said, they’re are loaded with iron. Actually, beets have the highest content of iron, right after garlic. When it comes to iodine content, this vegetable is second to kale. Beets are loaded with many healthy nutrients and they can boost your metabolism as well. They also give your body potent antioxidants that are more common in red beets.

This super healthy vegetable is loaded with polyphenols and betalains. These prevent free radical damage and oxidative stress. Beets are loaded with B vitamins and PP which strengthens capillary walls. You should also know that this super healthy vegetable has great mineral content.

Potassium and folate protect heart, magnesium strengthens bones, iron and phosphorus stimulate energy, copper targets free radicals, and iodine participates in the biosynthesis of thyroid hormones.

This is very important for you to remember – if beets aren’t a regular part of your diet, then you should definitely include them, because as we said – they will provide antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and detoxification effects. These colorful vegetables also contain powerful nutrients that protect against heart disease, birth defects, and even certain cancers!

Beets will also help you cleanse your liver from all harmful toxins. How this works – beets are loaded with antioxidants, which help rid the body of waste and toxins, while strengthening the immune system.

The betine in beets helps the liver cells eliminate toxins, the pectin in beets clears the toxins that have been removed from the liver so they don’t make their way back into the body, and the betalains in beets have high anti-inflammatory properties to encourage detoxification.

If you still are not convinced, below are the top 6 reasons to e...

10:56

The current review discusses the efficacy of exercise and yoga to ameliorate depression and thereby reduce the risk of cognitive decline. "IndyWatch Feed Health"

PMID:  Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2016 ;2016:4612953. Epub 2016 Dec 1. PMID: 28044084 Abstract Title:  The Roles of Exercise and Yoga in Ameliorating Depression as a Risk Factor for Cognitive Decline. Abstract:  Currently, there are no effective pharmaceutical treatments to reduce cognitive decline or prevent dementia. At the same time, the global population is aging, and rates of dementia and mild cognitive impairment (MCI) are on the rise. As such, there is an increasing interest in complementary and alternative interventions to treat or reduce the risk of cognitive decline. Depression is one potentially modifiable risk factor for cognitive decline and dementia. Notably, exercise and yoga are two interventions known to both reduce symptoms of depression and improve cognitive function. The current review discusses the efficacy of exercise and yoga to ameliorate depression and thereby reduce the risk of cognitive decline and potentially prevent dementia. Potential mechanisms of change, treatment implications, and future directions are discussed.

read more

10:55

BrightHouse is surprise winner of contract to build US-Mexico border wall "IndyWatch Feed Satire"

1024px-Mexican-American_border_at_NogalesPopular rent-to-own company BrightHouse has won the contract to build Donald Trump’s new US-Mexico border wall, it was announced yesterday. Beating off stiff competition from a mafia-led construction consortium and the Los Pollos Hermanos Fried Chicken outlet, BrightHouse is thought to have impressed Trump with their pledge to lock Mexicans in to a long-term repayment package, likely to be more impenetrable than the wall itself.

‘The BrightHouse business model makes perfect sense for this contract’, said a Trump spokesman today from a secret backtracking location. ‘We’re going to build a wall, and Mexico can pay us back over anything from 156-520 weeks depending on their individual circumstances at the time of building. We are also offering widescreen televisions and fridges on very reasonable terms, as well as a big beautiful door, which might appeal to legal migrants. We also have one La-Z-Boy on our books from 20th January.’

‘This sort of rent-to own arrangement has seen a resurgence in recent years, for sure’, said consumer expert Peter McDaid. ‘I imagine Mexico will thumb through a US-built products catalogue which will probably look like an Empire Stores or Kays catalogue from the 1980s. Although with fewer pictures of Tin Can Alley, Scalextric and Playtex Cross-Your Heart bras, I would think.’

‘It will be interesting to see how this one develops, as BrightHouse has been roundly criticised in the UK in recent years’, continued McDaid. ‘Accusations of dishonesty, attempting to shaft vulnerable members of the public, pulling the wool over everyone’s eyes with a set of dodgy policies, and locking people in to a highly questionable four year deals… Actually they’ll get on with Trump just fine.’

10:52

“Seek Your True North” Pendant "IndyWatch Feed Craft"

by Laura-Lee Podmore. (Canada) It happened again. Someone said that pursuing a career in art is no way to make a living, and that if you want to be prosperous, you should seek other, “safer” avenues. When you are told that your passion, your very basis of joy and fulfillment is a waste of time, […]

10:46

Thousands of Himalayan Rock Salt Lamps Recalled "IndyWatch Feed Health"

lampssafety

Himalayan rock salt lamps are very popular trendy for a number of reasons. Some just like the way they look and many use them for their amazing health benefits. However, if you have one in your home, you may want to check on the brand. According to the Consumer Product...

More

The post Thousands of Himalayan Rock Salt Lamps Recalled appeared first on Healthy Holistic Living.

10:44

Massive ‘Nasty Women’ Art Show Raises 35K for Planned Parenthood Opening Night "IndyWatch Feed Arts"

Installation view, Nasty Women at the Knockdown Center (all photos by the author for Hyperallergic)

It began (as so many things do these days) with a Facebook post. On November 14, less than a week after the election, artist Roxanne Jackson wrote on the social media platform: “Hello female artists/curators! Let’s organize a NASTY WOMEN group show!!! Who’s interested???” At the time, Jackson had been thinking of Donald Trump’s misogynist comments and his subsequent winning of the presidency, but also of a certain aesthetic akin to her own: purposefully and playfully grotesque art made by women. She’d been talking to curator Jessamyn Fiore about doing a show of such work. As responses to her post swiftly accumulated, however, she realized she was tapping into something much larger than just an artistic style. “Hundreds of people responded to this in an hour, and some didn’t fit into the category of grotesque work,” she told Hyperallergic. “We realized that we needed to include all those women who wanted to participate in this show so their voices could be heard through their art.”

Within five days, the pair had a venue — the Knockdown Center, a former door factory–cum–art space in Maspeth, Queens, whose curatorial advisory board Fiore sits on — and a website — thanks to graphic and web designer Barbara Smith. They posted an open call: anyone who identified as female could submit an artwork, and as long as it measured under 12 inches in every direction, it would be accepted. Submissions began rolling in — hundreds and hundreds of them.

“I think the week that we did this, there was this crazy energy” in response to the election of Trump, Fiore said. There was “a need for som...

10:42

This review found evidence of yoga for improving health-related quality of life, fatigue and sleep disturbances in breast cancer patients. "IndyWatch Feed Health"

PMID:  Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2017 Jan 3 ;1:CD010802. Epub 2017 Jan 3. PMID: 28045199 Abstract Title:  Yoga for improving health-related quality of life, mental health and cancer-related symptoms in women diagnosed with breast cancer. Abstract:  BACKGROUND: Breast cancer is the cancer most frequently diagnosed in women worldwide. Even though survival rates are continually increasing, breast cancer is often associated with long-term psychological distress, chronic pain, fatigue and impaired quality of life. Yoga comprises advice for an ethical lifestyle, spiritual practice, physical activity, breathing exercises and meditation. It is a complementary therapy that is commonly recommended for breast cancer-related impairments and has been shown to improve physical and mental health in people with different cancer types.OBJECTIVES: To assess effects of yoga on health-related quality of life, mental health and cancer-related symptoms among women with a diagnosis of breast cancer who are receiving active treatment or have completed treatment.SEARCH METHODS: We searched the Cochrane Breast Cancer Specialised Register, MEDLINE (via PubMed), Embase, the Cochrane Central Register of Controlled Trials (CENTRAL; 2016, Issue 1), Indexing of Indian Medical Journals (IndMED), the World Health Organization (WHO) International Clinical Trials Registry Platform (ICTRP) search portal and Clinicaltrials.gov on 29 January 2016. We also searched reference lists of identified relevant trials or reviews, as well as conference proceedings of the International Congress on Complementary Medicine Research (ICCMR), the European Congress for Integrative Medicine (ECIM) and the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO). We applied no language restrictions.SELECTION CRITERIA: Randomised controlled trials were eligible when they (1) compared yoga interventions versus no therapy or versus any other active therapy in women with a diagnosis of non-metastatic or metastatic breast cancer, and (2) assessed at least one of the primary outcomes on patient-reported instruments, including health-related quality of life, depression, anxiety, fatigue or sleep disturbances.DATA COLLECTION AND ANALYSIS: Two review authors independently collected data on methods and results. We expressed outcomes as standardised mean differences (SMDs) with 95% confidence intervals (CIs) and conducted random-effects model meta-analyses. We assessed potential risk of publication bias through visual analysis of funnel plot symmetry and heterogeneity between studies by using the Chi(2) test and the I(2) statistic. We conducted subgroup analyses for current treatment status, time since diagnosis, stage of cancer and type of yoga intervention.MAIN RESULTS: We included 24 studies with a total of 2166 participants, 23 of which provided data for meta...

10:40

Simplicity Parenting: De-stress your life by getting rid of these 10 toys. Watch Video! "IndyWatch Feed Fertility"

I have been seeing a common theme in my online parenting groups lately. It sounds something like, “My kids won’t clean up after themselves! How do I get them to clean their rooms? I am so stressed!”

If you think you are stressed about the clutter and piles of toys, how do you think your kids feel? Even though they may not be able to communicate it, children are just as overwhelmed by having too much stuff as we are (maybe even more so).

The answer, I tell them, isn’t to find a way to coerce them to clean up the mess, but rather to simplify and declutter so that when they do play, there is never that much to put away. That way, it never feels overwhelming to them.

Watch this video of a Simplicity Parenting coach break down the ten types of toys you should avoid having in your home for your kids. Watch until the end to hear her suggestions for the best types of toys to keep around for your children.

For more info on the benefits of Simplicity Parenting and minimalism with kids, read the book, Simplicity Parenting and check out the article, “The Best Toys For Babies Don’t do Anything,” by Magda Gerber.

The post Simplicity Parenting: De-stress your life by getting rid of these 10 toys. Watch Video! appeared first on .

10:40

unicorns-pugs-dinosaurs-recovery: rubyetc: get a load of... "IndyWatch Feed Comics"

unicorns-pugs-dinosaurs-recovery:

rubyetc:

get a load of that

I’ll have whatever she’s on

mood stabilisers, and large amounts of processed food. the tasties

10:37

Making an 18th Century “Undress” Costume – The Jacket "IndyWatch Feed Craft"

It’s been a few weeks since I last posted. I was busy enjoying a break from social media obligations, but I’m back now and happy to be writing again! I have a ton of projects to talk about – both ones in progress, and ones I completed last year and never wrote about.

But I’m going to start the year off by talking about the first project I’ve completed in 2017: An 18th Century “Undress” Ensemble. It sounds a bit scandalous, but in this case “Undress” is used to refer to informal garments from the 1700’s, rather than anything that goes underneath them.

I decided to start on this after flipping through reference books in search of inspiration. The patterns for “undress” appropriate jackets in Janet Arnold’s  Patterns of Fashion 1: Englishwomen’s Dresses* caught my eye – and a quick search through my stash showed that I had almost everything I needed to make one…plus a matching skirt and some knitwear accessories inspired by Outlander.

10:37

Ethereum Classic Hard Forks; Diffuses ‘Difficulty Bomb’ "IndyWatch Feed Crypto"

If the split between Ethereum and Ethereum Classic wasn’t definitive yet, it is now.

Ethereum Classic, the project born out of rejection of Ethereum’s reversal of The DAO, just hard forked. With that, Ethereum Classic implemented the biggest protocol change yet, and has furtherdifferentiated itself from the Ethereum project.

Most importantly, the hard fork — dubbed “Die Hard” — diffused the difficulty bomb, which was set to freeze the protocol later this year. Additionally, Ethereum Classic implemented replay protection, to ensure Ethereum transactions are no longer valid on the Ethereum Classic chain and vice versa. It also adjusted technical parameters to increase the cost of certain spam attacks.

“This protocol upgrade demonstrated growing maturity of Ethereum Classic, as it's starting to blaze its own path not only in terms of ideology, but also technical choices,” Ethereum Classic’s project coordinator, “Arvicco” toldBitcoin Magazine. “Such as a commitment to staying on proof-of-work consensus for a prolonged period.”

The Difficulty Bomb

The original Ethereum protocol, as implemented by the Ethereum Foundation, included a so-called “difficulty bomb.” Baked into the software, Ethereum’s mining difficulty is programmed to increase exponentially over time. This has been unnoticeable up till now, but by around April or May of this year, it is set to increase so rapidly that mining will necessarily become unprofitable. As a result, no more blocks will be found at all, and the protocol will effectively freeze, creating an “Ice Age.”

T...

10:35

Tree of Life Pendant for Daughter’s Birthday "IndyWatch Feed Craft"

by Anne. (British Columbia Canada) I tend to make very casual jewellery, which is what I like to wear myself. I have been resistant to try making a Tree of Life pendant for some time, but as my daughter’s birthday is coming up I decided to bite the bullet and do some research. With much […]

10:33

Three Civil Rights Sites Become National Monuments "IndyWatch Feed Arts"

The 16th Street Baptist Church in Birmingham, Alabama (seen in 2007) (photo by Social_Stratification/Flickr)

As he approached his last week as the US President, Barack Obama designated three national monuments that represent post-Civil War Reconstruction and Civil Rights heritage. Announced yesterday, just ahead of Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, the new monuments include 19th-century architecture in Beaufort County, South Carolina; pivotal Civil Rights movement locales in Birmingham, Alabama; and places associated with the 1961 attack on the Freedom Riders in Anniston, Alabama.

National monuments can be designated by the president through the Antiquities Act of 1906. In a statement shared by the White House, Obama noted the significance of these sites that “preserve critical chapters of our country’s history, from the Civil War to the Civil Rights movement.” He added:

These stories are part of our shared history. From designating Stonewall National Monument, our country’s first national monument honoring the LGBT movement, to recognizing the movement for women’s equality through the Belmont-Paul Women’s Equality National Monument, I have sought to build a more inclusive National Park System and ensure that our national parks, monuments and public lands are fully reflective of our nation’s diverse history and culture.

10:33

CalArts Students Prepare to Walk Out During #J20 Strike "IndyWatch Feed Arts"

(image courtesy Ana Cecilia Alvarez, Beth Fiedorek, and Alexandra Leon)

In solidarity with the nationwide #J20 movement, students at CalArts in Southern California are organizing a walkout “against the president of Donald J. Trump on inauguration day, January 20,” in their words.

Organized by students Ana Cecilia Alvarez, Beth Fiedorek, and Alexandra Leon, the event is slated to take place at noon local time. The official flyer includes the #J20 Art Strike statement that was released last week. CalArts is considered one of the leading art schools in the country, if not the world.

Hyperallergic reached out to the organizers to understand their motivation for the action. “Organizing around J20 at CalArts was catalyzed by that particular reaction that occurs to political angst when it meets a vacuum,” Fiedorek and Leon told Hyperallergic. “The response has been generally favorable, though half-mast, partially because we’re in winter interim and it limits numbers. The institution itself has been unofficially supportive — there’s a shared sentiment of solidarity with the idea of the strike, and a concurrent (sanctioned) teach-in on January 18. Protest movements have an important social and emotional function, and if they keep happening, they often succeed politically.  CalArts’ immediate geopolitical location is pretty isolating; much of the region surrounding campus has a conservative bent. The way we are thinking of the strike now is as a hub to move the protest outwards, away from the art institution into a greater collective engagement, with the potential to bridge the insularity of the art institution.”

The flyer circulating for the action includes the following explanation for the CalArts walkout:

As members of not only a ratified art community, but as citizens and workers and subjects, it is important that we unite visibly in rejecting the bigotry, oppression, and divisionary tactics of Trump’s agendas and operatives. We must continue to protest corporate policies aimed at gutting social services and education. It’s clear that we cannot rely on the political establishment or busines...

10:31

Yoga practice is effective for obesity control for adult male in an urban setting. "IndyWatch Feed Health"

PMID:  J Clin Diagn Res. 2016 Nov ;10(11):OC22-OC28. Epub 2016 Nov 1. PMID: 28050422 Abstract Title:  Yoga Practice for Reducing the Male Obesity and Weight Related Psychological Difficulties-A Randomized Controlled Trial. Abstract:  INTRODUCTION: Obesity is a health disorder and increasing all over the world. It is also a cause for many non-communicable diseases. Yoga practice reduces the stress level which may improve the eating habits and help in weight reduction.AIM: To assess the final outcome of the effects after 3 months of the 14 weeks yoga training on obesity of adult male in an urban setting.MATERIALS AND METHODS: This was a randomized controlled trial with parallel groups (Yoga and Control groups) on male obese. Total 80 subjects with Body Mass Index (BMI) between 25 to 35 kg/cm(2) were enrolled and randomized into two equal groups in which 72 subjects (yoga n = 37 and control n=35) completed the trial. Yoga group mean age± SD was 40.03±8.74 and Control group mean age±SD was 42.20±12.06. A 14 weeks special IAYT (Integrated Approach of Yoga Therapy) yoga training was given to the Yoga group and no specific activity was given to Control group. The interim results of this study at 14 weeks were covered in another article which is under process. After the 14 weeks of yoga training the Yoga group was asked to continue the yoga practice for the next 3 months and the Control group was not given any physical activity. The final outcome is covered in this paper. The assessments were anthropometric parameters of bodyweight (Wt), BMI (Body Mass Index), MAC (Mid-upper Arm Circumferences of left and right arm), WC (Waist Circumference), HC (Hip Circumference), WHR (Waist Hip Ratio), SKF (Skin Fold Thickness) of biceps, triceps, sub scapular, suprailiac and cumulative skin fold thickness value), Percentage body fat based on SKF and Psychological questionnaires of PSS (Perceived Stress Scale) and AAQW (Acceptance and Action Questionnaire for Weight related difficulty). Assessments were taken after 3 months of yoga training, for both Yoga and Control groups. Within group, between group and correlation analyseswere carried out using SPSS 21.RESULTS: Improvement in anthropometric and psychological parameters such as Wt, Percentage body fat, PSS were observed in the final outcome. Also, some of the improvements such as AAQW score were lost in the final outcome, compared to interim results.CONCLUSION: The yoga practice is effective for obesity control for adult male in an urban setting.

read more

10:26

Staff Picks: Salukis, Sincerity, Slithering "IndyWatch Feed Literature"

An illustration from Vice’s Fiction issue, which featured an excerpt from Rachel Cusk’s Transit—see what we did there?

The 2016 Vice Fiction issue is the best literary magazine I’ve seen this year. Maybe I’m biased. It includes new (and very good) work from a bunch of Paris Review writers, namely Rafil Kroll-Zaidi, Ottessa Moshfegh, Rachel Cusk, Tim Parks, Christine Smallwood, Deb Olin Unferth, and Benjamin Nugent—plus our former web editor Thessaly La Force. Oh, and the whole issue is edited by Plimpton Prize winner Amie Barrodale. But it’s not just the stories themselves. I also love the interior art direction—with literal photo illustrations of each story, all in what you might call the Vice house style. It screams sincerity, and it pays respect. —Lorin Stein

Rachel Cusk’s novel Transit, which we excerpted last summer, is out next week. Like its predecessor, Outline, it comprises several long, fluid, exactingly rendered conversations. Saying more feels like window dressing, and I worry I’m making it sound like My Dinner with Andre, but here goes. Recently divorced, the narrator’s upheaval has led her to a state of social alertness (not to say vulnerability) that makes others eager to confide in her, to try out hidden versions of themselves. The feeling is of swimming, with blissful immersion, through hours of watery talk. It’s hard to describe a novel like this without making them sound “quiet” or “slight,” but Transit is neither—people speak and people listen, and it is good. In one of the many passages I earmarked, a man explains the elaborate, concerted hunting process of “a shoal of Salukis” as they track birds of prey: “It suggested that the ultimate fulfillment of a conscious being lay not in solitude but in a shared state so intricate and cooperative it might almost be said to represent the entwining of two selves.” You could think of Transit as the pursuit of that shared state. In...

10:26

What to Consider Before Signing Up for an Event with High Booth Fees? "IndyWatch Feed Craft"

by Margaret Wellman. (Tucson, Arizona) Before considering whether to participate in an event with high booth fees, what should one consider? I have heard someone mention that you should look to recoup 10 x the booth fee. What are your thoughts on this? I would appreciate any insights on signing up for an event with […]

10:25

World’s Largest Vertical Maze Illuminated With Thousands of LED Lights "IndyWatch Feed Arts"

vertical maze tower dubai rostamani tower crazy architecture

Image via reddit.

Dubai is known for its outrageous architecture, but this is something we haven’t seen before. Completed in 2011, the Rostamani Maze Tower is the first of its kind. Not only is the multifunctional building the world’s first, but also the world’s tallest vertical maze, according to Guinness.

The 56-floor skyscraper towers 689 feet above the city, with both residential and office floors. Architects DAR Consult brought in acclaimed maze designer Adrian Fisher to project the incredibly complex maze. And to highlight the finished product, thousands of LED lights were installed, accentuating the maze’s form.

Rebeca Sánchez, the light programmer who worked on the project, called it “the biggest challenge I ever had as a light director.” Thousands of LED strips were placed along the front and rear façades, each completely unique. Throughout the evening, the lights dance and change color, giving rhythm to the fantastic architecture.

Can you solve this vertical maze?

vertical maze tower dubai rostamani tower crazy architecture...

10:21

A DIY Space Is Forced to Close in Denver Amid the Post-Ghost Ship Crackdown "IndyWatch Feed Arts"

A show at Rhinoceropolis in 2008 (photo by Julio Enriquez/Flickr)

On a cold winter’s night, back when I was a pimply teenager trying to find my place, some fellow artist-musician friends and I went to a mysterious concert we’d heard about on MySpace. When we finally found the address, in a dingy industrial neighborhood in Denver, we were sure we had the wrong place. As we stood there scratching our heads, someone noticed a small placard on the door to a seemingly vacant building — the hand-painted sign read “Rhinoceropolis.” Little did I know then that this inconspicuous warehouse would change my life. Now, the future of Rhinoceropolis hangs in the balance after the commune that called it home was evicted following the Ghost Ship fire in Oakland because of allegedly “serious” code violations.

Back during our first DIY adventure, my friends and I knocked on the door. No response. We gave it a push and stumbled into a deserted flex space used as a gallery, living room, and concert venue all in one. After some confused wandering, we found a serene-looking punk passed out on a couch and gave him a gentle shake. “Oh, are you guys here for the concert?” he asked, wiping the sleep from his eyes. “Yeah, should be started around 11 or 12.” Kids drinking 40s and smoking cigarettes started pouring into the venue around 11:45pm, before the ambient duo, Married in Berdichev, cast a spell on the audience amid a tangle of delay pedals, chimes, and Christmas lights. Eventually the Mathematicians took the floor to close out the night.

I’ll never forget what The Ma...

10:16

Redesigned Vintage Jewelry "IndyWatch Feed Craft"

by Jackie Leonard. (Ann Arbor, MI) This first piece has beautiful royal blue vintage pieces strung together with a multi color blue bead necklace. The second piece is a mix of gold and silver tones with rhinestone and vintage pieces. Jackie Leonard From Me to You

10:16

Now up: December’s “Best of Bandcamp Jazz” recommendations "IndyWatch Feed Arts"

As I’ve mentioned previously, I’m now compiling a monthly Best of Bandcamp Jazz for the Bandcamp Daily blog.  The newest installment covers albums for December (more of a November 20th – December 20th thing, really).  There’s ten primary recommendations in total, plus some side recommendations to boot. Follow this LINK to read those recommendations […]

10:12

A Doddering Biden Accidentally Reveals Executive Branch Puppets To Alien Overlords "IndyWatch Feed Satire"

Washington, DC—Vice President Joe Biden spilled the beans earlier today on a galactic scale. UFOlogists have waited a long time for the government’s full extraterrestrial disclosure. What happened today was both validating and terrifying for UFO enthusiasts across the globe. A reporter from The Daily Discord asked the Vice President, “If our system of checks and balances do fail…

10:12

I had Hope: 3 Steps to take Now to Honor Truth. "IndyWatch Feed Spiritual"

Each time I faltered---and I faltered a lot---I reminded myself of my truth. I would draw an imaginary circle around my feet and

10:11

Yoga should be a routine and part of day to day activity for ASD children. "IndyWatch Feed Health"

PMID:  J Clin Diagn Res. 2016 Nov ;10(11):VE01-VE03. Epub 2016 Nov 1. PMID: 28050484 Abstract Title:  Sleep Disorder, Gastrointestinal Problems and Behaviour Problems Seen in Autism Spectrum Disorder Children and Yoga as Therapy: A Descriptive Review. Abstract:  Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) is a complex neurodevelopmental disorder with deficiencies in many developmental milestones during the infantile childhood. Recent researches have shown that apart from behaviour problems, the ASD children also suffer from physiological conditions such as disturbed sleep and gastrointestinal problems that could be the contributing factors to their daytime behaviour problems. Lots of parents have expressed that, lack of sleep among the children have resulted in high levels of stress among the family members particularly among the immediate caretakers which are in most cases the mother of the child. Early behaviour intervention is a norm for ASD children which mainly affect the psychological level. Through this paper, an effort has been made to study the contributions made by yoga in order to mitigate such problems. Yoga is a non-invasive and alternative therapy that brings change in both physiological and psychological level of an individual. High levels of stress among the caretakers of these children could make them susceptible to non-communicable diseases such as hypertension, diabetes, arthritis etc. Parental based yoga intervention can be more effective for both children and parents and subsequently to the entire family.

read more

10:10

Ethereum Classic Freezes 'Difficulty Bomb' With 'Diehard' Fork "IndyWatch Feed Crypto"

Ethereum classic just forked again, putting in place a change that delays a so-called "difficulty bomb" on the network.

Source

10:08

Elemental Creations "IndyWatch Feed Craft"

by Galena Gibson. (Southeast Arkansas) I love to order mixed packets of focals! It’s just like getting a surprise stone that normally you would squint at, zoom in on, and deliberate over, until you decided to take a chance that that is the stone they will send you! Along with the color combinations the fossil […]

10:03

Yif Magic生麵團變法式麵包 [官方HD] French Breakfast "IndyWatch Feed Spiritual"

來自法國巴黎魔幻藝術家Yif,首部曲第八樂章…
Follow Yif on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/iamyif 😉
Who is Yif : http://youtu.be/rRjF5ReC070

Turn “On” captions for English subtitles

Music: Apple Loops Soundtrack Pro
Camera : Canon 5D Mark II
Real time, single continuous shot, no camera editing like all good Magic should be 😉
Inspirations: Robert Houdin, Tommy Wonder, Cyril Takayama, Jakob Halskov

10:01

Will Martial Law Be Declared before Trumps Inauguration to Stop Him from Being Sworn in as the 45th President of the United States? "IndyWatch Feed Survival"

Well, folks, it’s almost here… the day that Obama and his family are supposed to leave the White House and a new president is sworn in as the top political figure in the country, however, it may all be brought to a halt via martial law.

Today, Hollywood has-been Rosie O’Donnell calls for martial law to stop Donald J Trump from being sworn in on January 20th, 2017 and why most of us could not care any less about what this washed-up “celebrity” has to say about anything, she is still seen as “the Trump nemesis” in Hollywood and in far left liberal circles,...

Read the whole entry... »

10:00

A 12-week yoga program was effective in increasing parasympathetic tone and reducing depressive symptoms and perceived stress in women. "IndyWatch Feed Health"

PMID:  J Altern Complement Med. 2017 Jan 4. Epub 2017 Jan 4. PMID: 28051319 Abstract Title:  Effects of Yoga on Heart Rate Variability and Depressive Symptoms in Women: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Abstract:  OBJECTIVES: The purpose of the study was to investigate the effects of a 12-week yoga program on heart rate variability (HRV) and depressive symptoms in depressed women.METHODS: This was a randomized controlled trial. Twenty-six sedentary women scoring≥14 on the Beck Depression Inventory-II were randomized to either the yoga or the control group. The yoga group completed a 12-week yoga program, which took place twice a week for 60 min per session and consisted of breathing exercises, yoga pose practice, and supine meditation/relaxation. The control group was instructed not to engage in any yoga practice and to maintain their usual level of physical activity during the course of the study. Participants' HRV, depressive symptoms, and perceived stress were assessed at baseline and post-test.RESULTS: The yoga group had a significant increase in high-frequency HRV and decreases in low-frequency HRV and low frequency/high frequency ratio after the intervention. The yoga group also reported significantly reduced depressive symptoms and perceived stress. No change was found in the control group.CONCLUSIONS: A 12-week yoga program was effective in increasing parasympathetic tone and reducing depressive symptoms and perceived stress in women with elevated depressive symptoms. Regular yoga practice may be recommended for women to cope with their depressive symptoms and stress and to improve their HRV.

read more

09:53

Yoga classes found to be more cost-effective for treating back pain than GP care. "IndyWatch Feed Health"

PMID:  Nurs Stand. 2012 Sep 12 ;27(2):17. PMID: 28064825 Abstract Title:  Yoga classes found to be more cost-effective for treating back pain than GP care. Abstract:  Group yoga classes may be a cost-effective way of treating patients with chronic or recurrent low back pain, according to an evaluation of a specially-developed 12-week intervention.

read more

09:53

“Birth in Focus: Stories and photos to inform, educate and inspire.” "IndyWatch Feed Fertility"

From the soft-edge focused front cover photo to the series on the back cover, this is a book which shows through the words of mothers, their midwives and family members, as well as pictures, what is possible when experienced midwives have a philosophy centred in trust of women and their bodily knowledge, motivating and informing their practice. The pregnancy and birth experiences of this book happened as part of the Albany Midwifery Practice which “ran from 1997 to 2009 in Peckham, South East London, caring for an all-risk caseload of local women within the NHS. The unique model of midwifery care included continuity of carer with two named midwives and choice of place of birth. The midwives looked after over 2500 women with excellent outcomes, achieving a home birth rate of over 40% alongside a low perinatal mortality rate”.

In the ‘Forward’ legendary, USA midwife Ina May Gaskin encourages us all by saying that the amazing outcomes of this program can be replicated anywhere “the needs of birthing women are put before other concerns which often enter into maternity care policy-making and practice”. Ina May also challenges midwives, their educators and regulators by saying that the ‘true art of midwifery’ as shown in this book, is to reduce or eliminate fear of birth.

Author, midwife Becky Reed puts the contents of the book in the framework of her maternity history, midwifery career and history in the introduction; “Looking at birth”, as the birth of her first child is the first story of this tome. Her first child was a hospital birth in 1979, illustratings some of the changes in maternity practices since then. However, too many birthing women are still put in a semi-recumbent position despite evidence of the negative impacts on both mother and baby, as well asbeing contrary to the preferences and instincts of women to adopt a more appropriate, supported upright or kneeling position, as demonstrated in the other stories in this book .

Photos in the book were created as Albany midwives carried a camera as part of their birth kits, and women gave them back some of their birth photos to use as part of the 36 week “Birth Talk” for other women on the program. Sub...

09:48

Strange pulse appears on seismograms near top of world! ~ MrMBB333 "IndyWatch Feed Spiritual"

Earth seems to be picking up a strange form of energy and it is showing up on seismograms near the Artic.

09:47

Jewelry Design to Fund a Non-Profit Organization – How to Find the Person to Pitch It to? "IndyWatch Feed Craft"

by Rashida Cotton. (Macon, GA) Hello all! I have a jewelry design, and I want to use the profits from the design to help fund an organization to help abused children. Does anyone know who I can pitch this design to? Thank you! Rashida Cotton

09:40

Patients with rheumatoid arthritis described how yoga practice helped improve physical and psychosocial symptoms related to their disease. "IndyWatch Feed Health"

PMID:  J Altern Complement Med. 2017 Jan 11. Epub 2017 Jan 11. PMID: 28075155 Abstract Title:  A Qualitative Study Exploring Community Yoga Practice in Adults with Rheumatoid Arthritis. Abstract:  OBJECTIVE: Yoga may improve physical function and reduce disease symptoms in adults with rheumatoid arthritis (RA). However, little is known about how patients with RA are practicing yoga in the community. The objective of this qualitative study was to explore community yoga practice characteristics and thoughts about yoga practice for adults with RA.DESIGN: Participants completed a semi-structured telephone interview with open-ended questions. Thematic analysis was used to analyze interview transcripts.PARTICIPANTS: A convenience sample of 17 adults with rheumatologist-diagnosed RA who had participated in yoga within the past year were asked about the decision to start, continue, and stop yoga; the perceived benefits of yoga; components of yoga sessions; and general thoughts about yoga as it relates to RA.RESULTS: Although eight different styles of yoga were practiced, commonalities in yoga class components (such as stretching, strengthening, deep breathing, meditation, and positive messaging from the instructor) reveal examples of preferred types of yoga for patients with RA. Three main themes emerged, each with multiple subthemes: (1) motivators (physical fitness, influence of others, reduced price), (2) barriers (cost, symptom burden, class difficulty), and (3) benefits of yoga practice (mind-body, a tool for coping, pride/achievement, social, and"yoga meets you where you are").CONCLUSION: In this study, patients with RA described how yoga practice helped improve physical and psychosocial symptoms related to their disease. Yoga practice, a dynamic exercise, encompassing many different styles, can provide many benefits for adults with RA; however, yoga may not be beneficial for every adult with RA.

read more

09:40

Sodalite DOES Look Nice with Antiqued Copper! "IndyWatch Feed Craft"

by Terrie Marcoe. (New Paltz, NY) I have been procrastinating at attempting to work with Wire Weaving, always finding my efforts not panning out. On New Year’s Eve, I was traveling alone and so, as I sat at a Starbucks in Abilene, Texas, decided to help fill the night by watching tutorials. I came upon […]

09:30

Major US Pharmaceuticals Lose $25 BILLION in 20 Minutes during Donald Trump’s Press Conference "IndyWatch Feed Health"

This is crazy you guys. Apparently on Wednesday, after President-elect Trump accused big pharma of “getting away with murder”, close to $25 BILLION was wiped off the value of the S&P 500’s top nine pharmaceutical companies. In a matter of minutes. From the article: “SHARES IN JOHNSON & JOHNSON, Pfizer, Merck, Amgen, AbbVie, Bristol-Myers Squibb,

The post Major US Pharmaceuticals Lose $25 BILLION in 20 Minutes during Donald Trump’s Press Conference appeared first on Health Nut News.

09:30

20 Classic Works of Art Modernized by Clever Contemporary Artists "IndyWatch Feed Arts"

Classic Works of Art Modernized

The tell-tale sign of a great work of art is timelessness. That’s why it’s no surprise that many artists today often look to art history’s many masterworks for inspiration. While some contemporary creatives’ nods to the past are understated—perhaps an appropriated color palette or the adoption of a subtly similar style—others pay particularly straightforward homages to the past by putting a present-day spin on age-old masterpieces.

From digitally manipulated photographs and hypnotic animations to sculptural reinterpretations and old-meets-new street art, this curated collection of classic works of art modernized proves that, like fine art, a little creativity never gets old.

Classical Couture

In Paint Me Over, photographer Marina Danilova captures a series of gorgeous gowns adorned with art inspired by age-old oil paintings. Designed by Svetlana Lyalina, each couture dress juxtaposes traditional textile patterns and detailing with figurative scenes worthy of a wall in a museum.

All Dressed Up With Nowhere to Go

09:28

First Steps of Jewelry Making "IndyWatch Feed Craft"

by Steve Hand. (Wales) I am a beginner in the craft of making jewelry, as of September 2016, and already I am smitten. The pieces I have on show are mixed metal, copper, brass and 925. The techniques used are hammered, stamped, reticulated silver and patina. I welcome any feedback, hints, tips, constructive criticism. Many […]

09:23

Is this for real?! A Bill that would Decriminalize Domestic Violence. "IndyWatch Feed Spiritual"

Since 2006, a law regarding domestic violence meted out a two-year jail sentence for domestic battery. The Post reports that according to women's rights activists, 10,000 Russian women die each year due to domestic violence...

09:23

Building a Better YouTube With #BitChute – #GoodNewsNextWeek ~ Media Monarchy "IndyWatch Feed Spiritual"

This week on #GoodNewsNextWeek: 2017 starts out with a whole new year’s worth of ways we’re winning w/space not spikes, free hot soup, p2p video and much more.

Notes/Links:

Space, Not Spikes: Little free libraries and a place to rest your rump
http://bit.ly/2jxuXOf

The Misfit Samaritans of ‘Free Hot Soup’
http://bit.ly/2iYycgJ

Port Of Portland the 10th public entity on West Coast to sue #Monsanto for PCB contamination
http://bit.ly/2iYClkT

Washington Frozen Out of #Syria Peace Plan
http://bit.ly/2i86kYk

Israeli soldier convicted of Palestinian manslaughter
http://bit.ly/2iyJZix

EU’s highest court delivers blow to UK snooper’s charter
http://bit.ly/2iyOGsC

DuPont hit with $10.5M in punitive damages in latest #C8 case
http://bit.ly/2jcoZPh

#Hyperface anti-surveillance clothing blocks security cameras’ facial-recognition software
http://bit.ly/2jxAJj6

Flashback: How Fashion Can Be Used To Thwart Facial Recognition Technology (Jan. 6, 2014)
http://bit.ly/2diggvO

Bitcoin Price Soars, Fueled by Speculation and Global Currency Turmoil

09:19

Feature Interview: North American Bitcoin Conference Organizer Moe Levine "IndyWatch Feed Crypto"

http://ift.tt/2ipdiDx

On January 17 and 18, 2017, in downtown Miami, a worldwide audience of innovators, enthusiasts, developers and thought leaders will gather for the fourth annual North American Bitcoin Conference (TNABC). Amid burgeoning interest in new frontiers of Bitcoin and blockchain innovation, this year’s conference promises to offer new insights into the future trajectory of these technologies.

The conference features a series of educational offerings and exhibits highlighting emerging ideas and trends in the field. Guest speakers at this year’s event include Intellisys CTO and Bitcoin evangelist Charlie Shrem, Veritaseum founder Reggie Middleton, Bitcoin developer Jeff Garzik, OpenBazaar founder Brian Hoffman, Breadwallet CEO Aaron Voisine, Bitfury founder Valery Vavilov and many more. Exhibitors include the likes of Unsung, Genesis Mining and the Blockchain Education Network.

On the eve of this year’s conference, we had a chance to talk with conference organizer Moe Levine about the history of TNABC, hot topics of interest and his biggest hopes for the 2017 event. Here’s what he had to say.

The Beginnings of TNABC

“TNABC began in 2012, drawing 100 delegates. In 2014, the event welcomed more than 2,000 visitors from 40 nations, while 2015 and 2016 boasted over 6,000 visitors from 120 nations. I attribute this growth to our efforts at meticulously selecting speakers who share with our attendees the strategies, technologies and innovations they’ve developed and mastered.

“The North American Bitcoin Conference was created to draw [the] community together — a group ranging from enthusiasts to financial institutions that provide an open and hard-hitting forum for moving the conversation forward. Having been a part of the Bitcoin universe for several years, I’m truly excited about where these developments are going to take us in the coming years.”

Anticipated Topics of Interest

“This conference intends to cut through the noise in order to focus on actionable innovations and technologies that attendees can apply right away. We want guests to discuss strategies they’ve developed and mastered, and share them with others so that we can all apply and build upon them. With this in mind, we hope guests come ready to tackle complex concerns we face today, [and...

09:17

Yoga has some benefit in lower back pain related issues. "IndyWatch Feed Health"

PMID:  Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2017 Jan 12 ;1:CD010671. Epub 2017 Jan 12. PMID: 28076926 Abstract Title:  Yoga treatment for chronic non-specific low back pain. Abstract:  BACKGROUND: Non-specific low back pain is a common, potentially disabling condition usually treated with self-care and non-prescription medication. For chronic low back pain, current guidelines state that exercise therapy may be beneficial. Yoga is a mind-body exercise sometimes used for non-specific low back pain.OBJECTIVES: To assess the effects of yoga for treating chronic non-specific low back pain, compared to no specific treatment, a minimal intervention (e.g. education), or another active treatment, with a focus on pain, function, and adverse events.SEARCH METHODS: We searched CENTRAL, MEDLINE, Embase, five other databases and four trials registers to 11 March 2016 without restriction of language or publication status. We screened reference lists and contacted experts in the field to identify additional studies.SELECTION CRITERIA: We included randomized controlled trials of yoga treatment in people with chronic non-specific low back pain. We included studies comparing yoga to any other intervention or to no intervention. We also included studies comparing yoga as an adjunct to other therapies, versus those other therapies alone.DATA COLLECTION AND ANALYSIS: Two authors independently screened and selected studies, extracted outcome data, and assessed risk of bias. We contacted study authors to obtain missing or unclear information. We evaluated the overall certainty of evidence using the GRADE approach.MAIN RESULTS: We included 12 trials (1080 participants) carried out in the USA (seven trials), India (three trials), and the UK (two trials). Studies were unfunded (one trial), funded by a yoga institution (one trial), funded by non-profit or government sources (seven trials), or did not report on funding (three trials). Most trials used Iyengar, Hatha, or Viniyoga forms of yoga. The trials compared yoga to no intervention or a non-exercise intervention such as education (seven trials), an exercise intervention (three trials), or both exercise and non-exercise interventions (two trials). All trials were at high risk of performance and detection bias because participants and providers were not blinded to treatment assignment, and outcomes were self-assessed. Therefore, we downgraded all outcomes to 'moderate' certainty evidence because of risk of bias, and when there was additional serious risk of bias, unexplained heterogeneity between studies, or the analyses were imprecise, we downgraded the certainty of the evidence further.For yoga compared to non-exercise controls (9 trials; 810 participants), there was low-certainty evidence that yoga produced small to moderate improvements in back-related fun...

“Timing Is Extremely Unusual”: D.C. National Guard Chief Must Stand Down During Inauguration "IndyWatch Feed Survival"

screen-shot-2017-01-13-at-4-11-53-pm

This article was written by Tyler Durden and originally published at Zero Hedge.

Editor’s Comment: In this unusual move, higher orders are forcing the highest ranking military officer over Washington, D.C. at exactly 12:01 am on the day of the inauguration. The officer, Maj. Gen. Schwartz was not given a reason, and one can only wonder whether or not it signals a potential coup or threat to the incoming administration.

Will there be a peaceful transition? What happens if martial law is declared due to riots at the inauguration, or an assassination attempt is made. There is no predicting what may happen, or what kind of danger this may mean for President-elect Trump, but his open conflict with the intelligence community and the ranking establishment figures in Washington the media present many flash points. Is it JFK all over again?

Though hopefully nothing at all will happen, this odd procedural move opens up a vulnerability at the swearing in, and raises difficult questions about who is loyal to whom, and who holds the real seat of power over this nation and its affairs. Stay vigilant, these may be dark times ahead.

D.C. National Guard Chief Fired Days Before Trump Inauguration: “The Timing Is Extremely Unusual”

by Tyler Durden

“It doesn’t make sense to can the general in the middle of an active deployment,” rages D.C. Council Chairman Phil Mendelson (D) after Maj. Gen. Errol R. Schwartz, who heads the D.C. National Guard and is an integral part of overseeing the inauguration, has been ordered removed from command effective Jan. 20, 12:01 p.m., just as Donald Trump is sworn in as president.

Photographer Says Texas Rep. Blocked Him from Photographing Protesters "IndyWatch Feed Photography"

Texas Rep. Louie Gohmert is being accused of a very rudimentary style of censorship by photojournalist Jim Lo Scalzo. According to Lo Scalzo, Gohmert got up and physically blocked his view so that he couldn’t photograph protesters during attorney general nominee Jeff Sessions’ confirmation hearings earlier this week.

Sessions’ confirmation hearings were frequently interrupted by protesters, which the photographers in the room naturally wanted to capture. However, Lo Scalzo claims Rep. Gohmert wasn’t so keen on that.

Speaking to the Dallas Morning News, Scalzo says Gohmert physically got up and blocked his view as he was trying to photograph two protesters being escorted out. Here’s how he describes the interaction:

When I asked him, ‘Are you seriously blocking me from making these pictures of these protesters?’ he said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘The story is not there,’ and then he pointed to Sessions and said, ‘The story is over there.’

This screenshot from a CSPAN2 Recording of the confirmation hearing in question captured the altercation between Lo Scalzo and Ghomert.

For his part, the East Texas Republican is adamant there was no “censorship” as such, although he didn’t deny his actions.

“There were plenty of cameras to capture what was going on, so there was no censorship, but the rule-breaking, distracting, view-blocking cameraman was blocking my view requiring me to stand,” Gohmert told the Dallas Morning News, citing his experience as a former felony judge to imply that he can tell when a photographer is “out of line” in court.

This excuse, however, doesn’t seem to ma...

09:15

How I Found Myself again after an Abusive Relationship. "IndyWatch Feed Spiritual"

Yes I was low in confidence, self-esteem and felt really unworthy—but that wasn’t the whole story.

09:09

The Social Media Exodus Has Begun. Here’s Where Everybody’s Going ~ Corbett Report "IndyWatch Feed Spiritual"

SHOW NOTES: https://www.corbettreport.com/?p=21349

10 years ago, everybody was on MySpace. 10 years from now, the Twitters and Facebooks and YouTubes of today will be dinosaurs, abandoned by users sick of censorship and centralized control. Thankfully, the alternatives to these social media dinosaurs are already here, and they’re blockchain-based, torrent friendly, decentralized and censorship resistant.

09:09

McVatican: Vatican McDonald’s To Give Free Meals To Homeless "IndyWatch Feed Uncanny"

Despite a backlash from residents and senior clerics in Rome, a McDonald’s branch opened in the Vatican at the start of the year and has now promised to give out thousands of free meals to the homeless.

The McDonald’s initiative is aimed at defusing the controversy over the opening of the fast food restaurant so close to the Vatican in a building owned by the Holy See in the shadow of St. Peter’s Basilica.

Italian Cardinal Elio Sgreccia said the proposal to open McDonald’s below a Vatican-owned building where several cardinals lived was a “controversial, perverse decision.”

Known as McVatican, the Borgo Pio branch of the fast food chain plans to work with Medicina Solidale, a charity organization that provides medical care and distributes food to homeless people in and around the Vatican.

RT reports:

Lucia Ercoli, the head of Medicina Solidale, said she was “very satisfied with this agreement with McDonald’s,” which has “promptly” accepted their proposal, according to Crux.com.

“Providing a meal guarantees an appropriate supply of proteins and vitamins to so many men and women who live on the street,” said Lucia Ercoli, director of the charity. “I am very happy with this agreement with McDonald’s.”

Volunteers will start distributing food next Monday. They will collect nearly 1,000 meals from the restaurant and give them to homeless people.

“We have been working with the pope’s almoner for a while to provide these people with medical visits and care,” said Polish Archbishop Konrad Krajewski, who provides meals and services on behalf of the pontiff.

The initiative comes right in time, just as Europe is dealing with unexpectedly cold winter weather.

Meanwhile, Pope Francis has called on Krajewski and others to take measures to help the homeless during the cold snap in Rome and other places.

The idea of opening the “McVatican” restaurant was dubbed controversial by some of the cardinals, who said they were not consulted and the restaurant is located too close to a building owned by the Holy See.

As of now, the cafe is open from 6:30am to 11:00pm seven days a week, and Wi-Fi is available there.

The Vatican is to receive a monthly rent of €30,000 for the 538 square-meter space, according to La Repubblica newspaper.

09:08

Andy Warhol’s Self-Conscious and Perfect Bodies "IndyWatch Feed Arts"

Installation view of My Perfect Body at the Andy Warhol Museum (all photos by the author for Hyperallergic unless otherwise noted)

PITTSBURGH — Young men and women recline on their backs, some shirtless, staring at the camera confrontationally, or smoking, aloof. They are often serious and sexy. They are the subjects of Andy Warhol‘s screen tests, where visitors to his studio, the Factory, sat alone with a rolling video camera. The silent footage occupies a large wall at the Andy Warhol Museum, where you can also make your own screen test. Sitting before a camera and under a blaring light for four minutes and 41 seconds, I didn’t know what to do with my limbs or what facial expression to make. Whom was I looking at? I felt painfully inept.

Jessica Beck, a curator at the Warhol Museum, says there is an “uncomfortable encounter with shame and sexuality” in the screen tests. Recording one makes you hyperaware of your body; it sort of felt like I was staring into a mirror, but couldn’t see my own reflection.

The screen tests were an apt prelude to the exhibition My Perfect Body, curated by Beck, which makes plain Warhol’s self-conscious relationship to his own body and fascination with others. I saw the show after walking through the entire museum dedicated to the artist and it’s how it ought to be seen. It seals his work together, from his early fashion designs to his celebrity portraits.

09:05

Yoga may reduce immediate anxiety and joint pain in patients with cystic fibrosis. "IndyWatch Feed Health"

PMID:  Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2016 ;2016:9429504. Epub 2016 Dec 19. PMID: 28077950 Abstract Title:  Yoga Therapy in Children with Cystic Fibrosis Decreases Immediate Anxiety and Joint Pain. Abstract:  This study was designed to determine whether yoga might alleviate symptoms of pain, sleep disturbance, anxiety, and depression in children with cystic fibrosis (CF). CF is the most common genetic, life-limiting chronic disease among Caucasian populations. It primarily affects the lungs but also many other secretory organs and consequently leads to significant morbidities. Research has shown that children with CF have significantly increased depression, anxiety, and pain compared to their healthy counterparts. Subjects participated in six one-on-one sessions over a 10-week period with a certified instructor who designed each yoga practice based on a preestablished list of 30 yoga asanas. Questionnaires evaluating pain, sleep disturbance, sustained anxiety, immediate anxiety, and depression were administered. Differences between premeasures and postmeasures were evaluated using a two-sided test. Twenty subjects were assessed (12 females/8 males), median age of 11 (7-20) years. Mean immediate anxiety scores decreased (before session to after session 29 to 23.6, respectively, p

read more

08:53

“Father Mapple’s Hymn” (from “Moby-Dick”) - Herman Melville (1819-1891) "IndyWatch Feed Literature"

The ribs and terrors in the whale 
Arched over me a dismal gloom,
While all God’s sun-lit waves rolled by,
And left me deepening down to doom.

I saw the opening maw of hell,
With endless pains and sorrows there;
Which none but they that feel can tell—
Oh, I was plunging to despair.

In black distress, I called my God,
When I could scarce believe him mine,
He bowed his ear to my complaints—
No more the whale did me confine.

With speed he flew to my relief,
As on a radiant dolphin borne;
Awful, yet bright, as lightning shone
The face of my Deliverer God.

My song for ever shall record
That terrible, that joyful hour;
I give the glory to my God,
His all the mercy and the power.

Jonah and the Whale, Pieter Lastman, 1621

08:52

Feature Interview: North American Bitcoin Conference Organizer Moe Levine "IndyWatch Feed Crypto"

On January 17 and 18, 2017, in downtown Miami, a worldwide audience of innovators, enthusiasts, developers and thought leaders will gather for the fourth annual North American Bitcoin Conference (TNABC). Amid burgeoning interest in new frontiers of Bitcoin and blockchain innovation, this year’s conference promises to offer new insights into the future trajectory of these technologies.

The conference features a series of educational offerings and exhibits highlighting emerging ideas and trends in the field. Guest speakers at this year’s event include Intellisys CTO and Bitcoin evangelist Charlie Shrem, Veritaseum founder Reggie Middleton, Bitcoin developer Jeff Garzik, OpenBazaar founder Brian Hoffman, Breadwallet CEO Aaron Voisine, Bitfury founder Valery Vavilov and many more. Exhibitors include the likes of Unsung, Genesis Mining and the Blockchain Education Network.

On the eve of this year’s conference, we had a chance to talk with conference organizer Moe Levine about the history of TNABC, hot topics of interest and his biggest hopes for the 2017 event. Here’s what he had to say.

The Beginnings of TNABC

“TNABC began in 2012, drawing 100 delegates. In 2014, the event welcomed more than 2,000 visitors from 40 nations, while 2015 and 2016 boasted over 6,000 visitors from 120 nations. I attribute this growth to our efforts at meticulously selecting speakers who share with our attendees the strategies, technologies and innovations they’ve developed and mastered.

“The North American Bitcoin Conference was created to draw [the] community together — a group ranging from enthusiasts to financial institutions that provide an open and hard-hitting forum for moving the conversation forward. Having been a part of the Bitcoin universe for several years, I’m truly excited about where these developments are going to take us in the coming years.”

Anticipated Topics of Interest

“This conference intends to cut through the noise in order to focus on actionable innovations and technologies that attendees can apply right away. We want guests to discuss strategies they’ve developed and mastered, and share them with others so that we...

08:49

Dogon Legend Of The Nommos Fish People "IndyWatch Feed Spiritual"

The Dogon tells the legend of the Nommos, awful-looking beings who arrived in a vessel along with fire and thunder. After they arrived here – they put out a reservoir of water onto the Earth then dove into the water. There are references in the oral traditions, drawings and cuneiform tablets of the Dogons, to […]

08:47

Pterostilbene may have therapeutic potential for modulating the unfavourable effects of tumor-associated macrophages in lung cancer progression. "IndyWatch Feed Health"

PMID:  Oncotarget. 2016 Jun 28 ;7(26):39363-39375. PMID: 27276704 Abstract Title:  Modulation of macrophage polarization and lung cancer cell stemness by MUC1 and development of a related small-molecule inhibitor pterostilbene. Abstract:  Tumor-associated macrophages (TAMs) polarized to the M2 phenotype play key roles in tumor progression in different cancer types, including lung cancer. MUC1 expression in various types of cancer is an indicator of poorer prognosis. Elevated MUC1 expression has been reported in inflammatory lung macrophages and is associated with lung cancer development. Here, we investigated the role of M2-polarized TAMs (M2-TAMs) in the generation of lung cancer stem cells (LCSCs) and tested pterostilbene, a small-molecule agent that modulates MUC1 expression in lung cancer cells, with the goal of subverting the microenvironment toward a favorable anti-tumor impact. We found that MUC1 was overexpressed in lung cancer patients, which was associated with poor survival rates. M2-TAMs and cancer cell lines were co-cultured in an experimental tumor microenvironment model. The expression levels of MUC1 and cancer stemness genes significantly increased in lung cancer cells in the presence of the M2-TAM cells. Intriguingly, pterostilbene dose-dependently suppressed self-renewal ability in M2-TAMs-co-cultured lung cancer cells, and this suppression was accompanied by downregulation of MUC1, NF-κB, CD133, β-catenin, and Sox2 expression. Moreover, MUC1-silenced M2-TAMs exhibited a significantly lower ability to promote LCSC generation and decreased levels of NF-κB, CD133, and Sox2. The results suggest that MUC1 plays an important role in TAM-induced LCSC progression. Pterostilbene may have therapeutic potential for modulating the unfavorable effects of TAMs in lung cancer progression.

read more

08:45

Shepard Fairey Promotes Hope and Diversity With Inauguration Protest Posters "IndyWatch Feed Arts"

we the people inauguration posters street art amplifier foundatios Shepard fairey ernesto yerena jessica saboga

On Friday, January 20, President-elect Donald Trump will be officially sworn in as the United States of America’s 45th President. A controversial figure, Trump has alienated a substantial amount of Americans throughout the course of his campaign and eye-opening victory. To condemn his platform and protest his presidential plans, countless groups are organizing demonstrations along the National Mall in Washington DC, where the inauguration will take place. While many of these associations are purely politics-based, The Amplifier Foundation—in collaboration with contemporary artists Shepard Fairey, Ernesto Yerena, and Jessica Sabogal—will bring an artistic touch to the event with We the People, a collection of inspiring inauguration posters.

Rendered in street art’s signature stenciled style, each We the People poster features a powerful portrait of an American citizen. Promoting unity while emphasizing diversity, the series of prints presents people from various walks of life. One design features a Muslim woman clad in a star-spangled hijab; another depicts a Native American elder; and one even portrays a tender moment between a same-sex couple. Beneath each patriotic portrait is a message, many of which are defiantly led by “We the People,” the famous first words of the American Constitution.

Although some of the posters look strikingly similar to Fairey’s Hopea piece popularized during President Obama’s inspiring 2008 campaign—the Amplifier Foundation stresses an important underlying difference between the two projects. “Eight years ago, the artist Shepard Fairey made the iconic image that captured a period of HOPE in America. Today we are in a very different moment, one that requires new images that reject the hate, fear, and open racism that were normalized during the 2016 presidential campaign. So on Inauguration Day, We the People will flood Washington, DC with NEW symbols...

08:44

Skin Rash on First Pregnant Woman with Zika in Miami "IndyWatch Feed Health"

Earlier this week, the New England Journal of Medicine published a case study from a multi-disciplinary team of physicians from the University of Miami Health System. The team detailed the country’s first locally transmitted case of the mosquito-borne illness in a local pregnant woman. The skin rash that appeared on the 23-year-old Miami-Dade woman’s chest,

The post Skin Rash on First Pregnant Woman with Zika in Miami appeared first on Health Nut News.

08:31

The application of Pterostilbene may be a new strategy for the treatment of myocardial ischemia/reperfusion injury. "IndyWatch Feed Health"

PMID:  Inflammation. 2017 Jan 4. Epub 2017 Jan 4. PMID: 28054238 Abstract Title:  Protective Effects of Pterostilbene Against Myocardial Ischemia/Reperfusion Injury in Rats. Abstract:  Pterostilbene (PTB) has been suggested to protect against myocardial ischemia/reperfusion (MI/R) injury. Gas6/Axl signaling has been suggested to play an important role in cell survival. However, the interaction between PTB and Gas6/Axl signaling in MI/R remains unclear. This study aims to evaluate the role of Gas6/Axl signaling in the protective effects of PTB against MI/R injury. In experiment 1, the rats were subjected to 30 min of ischemia, followed by 3, 6, and 12 h of reperfusion, respectively. In experiment 2, the rats were administered intraperitoneally with PTB or vehicle and subjected to MI/R injury. The results suggested that the expression of Gas6 and Axl decreased significantly after MI/R injury. PTB treatment conferred a cardioprotective effect with an improved post-ischemic cardiac function, a reduced myocardial infarct size, and decreased lactate dehydrogenase and creatine kinase-MB in the serum, a decreased oxidative stress and inflammation, and a reduced number of apoptotic cardiomyocytes. Moreover, PTB treatment up-regulated the expression of Gas6, Axl, and Bcl-2 and down-regulated Bax expression. Our findings suggest that PTB treatment exerts cardioprotection against MI/R injury via attenuating inflammatory response, oxidative stress, and apoptosis and up-regulating the expression of Gas6and Axl. The application of PTB may be a new strategy for the treatment of MI/R injury.

read more

08:30

Nigeria Warned its Citizens About Onecoin and Bitcoin This Week "IndyWatch Feed Crypto"

Local advertisements for OneCoin and other digital currencies have drawn the ire of Nigeria’s top securities regulatory.

Source

from CoinDesk http://ift.tt/2ioYWmz

08:23

VSCO Shutters New York Office and Lays Off Whole NYC Staff "IndyWatch Feed Photography"

Film emulation and photo sharing company VSCO confirmed today that they are shutting down their New York City office and laying off the staff there in order to “centralize” their workforce at the company’s headquarters in Oakland, CA.

When it was opened less than 6 months ago, VSCO’s NYC office served as both an east coast hub for the company and a studio that VSCO’s Community could use for free. Both the workspace and the studio are now being shut down.

In a statement confirming the news to TechCrunch, a VSCO spokesperson emphasized that centralization, not business issues, are the cause of the upheaval:

In an effort to align operations with our evolving business needs, we are centralizing and expanding our team in Oakland at VSCO’s HQ, and have closed our New York office in the process….

We’re focused on building the best tools and platform for our community members to express themselves, and we’re working alongside some incredible brands to help them connect with VSCO’s creator network.

It’s unclear how much of its staff VSCO is letting go—the majority of the company’s workforce is based out of the Oakland office—and some NYC employees were reportedly offered the chance to relocate to the home office.

VSCO also has an office in Denver; however, at this time, it doesn’t seem as if that office is affected.

(via TechCrunch)

Image credits: Illustration based on New York City Winter Sunset by Anthony Quintano

08:21

New Device to Diagnose 17 Different Diseases from a Single Breath "IndyWatch Feed Health"

Imagine finding out what’s making you feel sick just by breathing. That idea is the goal of a new technology that researchers are saying can detect 17 different diseases just by “smelling” a patient’s breath. The Na-Nose device has been compared to a breathalyzer, and according to a study published in the journal ACS Nano,

The post New Device to Diagnose 17 Different Diseases from a Single Breath appeared first on Health Nut News.

08:19

Pterostilbene can facilitate apoptosis of glioma cells, and inhibit their proliferation and invasion via mediating apoptotic/anti-apoptotic homeostasis. "IndyWatch Feed Health"

PMID:  Am J Transl Res. 2016 ;8(12):5211-5218. Epub 2016 Dec 15. PMID: 28077996 Abstract Title:  Effect of pterostilbene on glioma cells and related mechanisms. Abstract:  Neuroglioma is the most common primary malignant tumor in neurosurgery. Due to unfavorable life quality of patients, the treatment of glioma is a major challenge in clinics. The search for effect treatment drugs thus benefits patient prognosis. As one derivative of resveratrol, pterostilbene has a wide spectrum of pharmaceutical functions, especially with the anti-tumor effects. This study thus investigated the effect of pterostilbene on neuroglioma and related mechanisms. U87 glioma cell line was divided into control, normal culture and different dosages of pterostilbene groups, which received 5 mM or 10 mM pterostilbene for 48 h. MTT assay was used to detect U87 cell proliferation, while invasion assay was employed to test the effect of pterostilbene on cell invasion, followed by flow cytometry assay for analyzing U87 cell apoptosis. Real-time PCR was used to test mRNA expression of Bcl-2 and Bax in glioma cells under the effect of pterostilbene, while Western blotting was used to detect alternation of Bcl-2 and Bax protein levels. Pterostilbene significantly inhibited proliferation and invasion abilities of glioma cells compared to those in control group (P

read more

08:15

Nigeria Warned its Citizens About Onecoin and Bitcoin This Week "IndyWatch Feed Crypto"

Local advertisements for OneCoin and other digital currencies have drawn the ire of Nigeria’s top securities regulatory.

Source

08:13

Andreas Antonopoulos: Ignore the Drama, Bitcoin Is Stronger Than Ever "IndyWatch Feed Crypto"

http://ift.tt/2iQQ9Lj

Mastering Bitcoin” author Andreas Antonopoulos was recently a guest on Trace Mayer’s Bitcoin Knowledge Podcast, where the two longtime Bitcoin advocates discussed the current state of Bitcoin and how much the technology has grown over the past eight years. Near the end of their discussion, Antonopoulos made the point that Bitcoin is stronger than ever and all of the drama in the community needs to be ignored.

The Technology Is the Most Important Thing in Bitcoin

There has been plenty of Bitcoin-related drama on social media lately, especially when it comes to issues involving scalability (and the block size limit). Some Bitcoin enthusiasts now prefer the /r/BTC subreddit due to disagreements with the moderation policies of /r/Bitcoin. There is a stark contrast between the two subreddits when it comes to each group’s vision for how Bitcoin should scale over the long-term.

Many of the disagreements between the two sects of the Bitcoin community have turned ugly, and Antonopoulos believes it’s best to get back to the technology’s roots.

“I think the most important thing is to try to objectively look at what’s really important in the Bitcoin space, which is the technology,” said Antonopoulos. “Try to not be discouraged by a lot of the extraneous drama that’s going on. In my mind, a lot of the drama is distracting from the real progress that’s being made.”

Antonopoulos went on to point out that, by many metrics, Bitcoin is stronger than ever. In his view, Bitcoin has never been as diverse or distributed as it is today. The “Mastering Bitcoin” author is also impressed with the large amount of technological innovation that has taken place in the space.

To Antonopoulos’s point on innovation, there are a few enhancements to Bitcoin that are on the horizon. To many, TumbleBit,...

08:06

GLOBAL ELITE AT DAVOS WONDER IF THEY SOWED SEEDS OF POPULIST BACKLASH "IndyWatch Feed Spiritual"

Published: January 13, 2017

“No matter how improbable, the event most likely to happen is the opposite of whatever the Davos consensus is.”

http://www.blacklistednews.com/Global_Elite_at_Davos_Wonder_If_They_Sowed_Seeds_of_Populist_Backlash/56279/0/38/38/Y/M.html

08:00

15 Mesmerizing Videos of Artists Creating Their Art "IndyWatch Feed Arts"

Artist Videos Reveal a Behind-the-Scenes Look into the Artistic Process

Nowadays, it seems like everyone has the ability to snap a photo or record the world around them whenever they like. As videos grow increasingly popular on social media, apps like Instagram are making it easy for people to share intimate parts of their life. For artists, this presents a fantastic opportunity—and for the viewer, an awesome peek into the laborious creative process. Through short artist videos, we get a firsthand look at how these gifted folks work.

For anyone who loves art or wants to learn more about a technique, observing these artists offers incredible insight. Some, like Jenean Morrison, are very spontaneous in their videos and show that “play” is an important part of stretching your creativity. Morrison also showcases the intuitiveness of the Apple Pencil and iPad Pro. Her digital brush strokes have the distinct look and feel of watercolor paint.

Other creatives focus on a specific piece and demonstrate how they got from point A to point B. Kelogsloops, a My Modern Met favorite, makes careful, tiny movements when painting his ethereal portraits. It’s mesmerizing to watch. And equally as fascinating—but in a totally different way—is Annette Labedzki. Who knew mixing paint could be so soothing?

Before starting a painting, an artist is going to mix their pigments…

07:53

Andreas Antonopoulos: Ignore the Drama, Bitcoin Is Stronger Than Ever "IndyWatch Feed Crypto"

Mastering Bitcoin” author Andreas Antonopoulos was recently a guest on Trace Mayer’s Bitcoin Knowledge Podcast, where the two longtime Bitcoin advocates discussed the current state of Bitcoin and how much the technology has grown over the past eight years. Near the end of their discussion, Antonopoulos made the point that Bitcoin is stronger than ever and all of the drama in the community needs to be ignored.

The Technology Is the Most Important Thing in Bitcoin

There has been plenty of Bitcoin-related drama on social media lately, especially when it comes to issues involving scalability (and the block size limit). Some Bitcoin enthusiasts now prefer the /r/BTC subreddit due to disagreements with the moderation policies of /r/Bitcoin. There is a stark contrast between the two subreddits when it comes to each group’s vision for how Bitcoin should scale over the long-term.

Many of the disagreements between the two sects of the Bitcoin community have turned ugly, and Antonopoulos believes it’s best to get back to the technology’s roots.

“I think the most important thing is to try to objectively look at what’s really important in the Bitcoin space, which is the technology,” said Antonopoulos. “Try to not be discouraged by a lot of the extraneous drama that’s going on. In my mind, a lot of the drama is distracting from the real progress that’s being made.”

Antonopoulos went on to point out that, by many metrics, Bitcoin is stronger than ever. In his view, Bitcoin has never been as diverse or distributed as it is today. The “Mastering Bitcoin” author is also impressed with the large amount of technological innova...

07:52

Maker Pro News: Makers at CES, Micro-Crowdfunding, Edible Mealworms, and More "IndyWatch Feed Diy"

maker-faire-shenzhen-2016-robot-combats-heroCheck out the maker-made companies that caught our eye at CES, plus Kickstarter highlights low-quantity projects with their Make 100 program.

Read more on MAKE...

07:51

Anti-establishment wave to help push blockchain into real world in 2017 "IndyWatch Feed Spiritual"

Tue Jan 10, 2017 | 11:05 AM EST

By Jemima Kelly and Anna Irrera |LONDON/NEW YORK

" A wave of anti-establishment sentiment sweeping the Western world is likely to help push blockchain - the technology that gave birth to the renegade digital currency bitcoin - out of cyberspace and into the real world in 2017. " Quote from Reuters:

https://www.google.com/amp/mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN14U1X5

07:45

Under Pressure Domestic Margin Trading At Chinese fiat/Bitcoin Interfaces Folding "IndyWatch Feed Crypto"

Following pressure from the "People's" Bank of China, the major Chinese fiat/Bitcoin interfaces have brought an end to margin trading for domestic Chinese customers. Further fiat side interference with fiat/Bitcoin interfaces is expected to continue or accelerate over 2017.

07:40

Report: Blockchain Could Become an $8 Billion Global Industry By 2024 "IndyWatch Feed Crypto"

The next eight years could see the blockchain marketplace grow to nearly $8bn in value, according to a new research report.

Source

from CoinDesk http://ift.tt/2jgh4Ul

07:35

Report: Blockchain Could Become an $8 Billion Global Industry By 2024 "IndyWatch Feed Crypto"

The next eight years could see the blockchain marketplace grow to nearly $8bn in value, according to a new research report.

Source

07:33

Trump Wipes $24.6 Bln Off Drug and Biotech Stocks in 20 Minutes "IndyWatch Feed Spiritual"

(Kristian Rouz) During his press conference on Wednesday, the US President-elect Donald Trump said US medicines are made overseas and are too expensive, and proper bidding could help lower the costs, provoking a selloff in big pharma and biotech stocks.

Read more »

07:30

Have Americans Lost All Confidence in the US Government? "IndyWatch Feed Spiritual"

The reasons why Americans have lost confidence in the US government are many. Some are very obvious while others might not be evident and appear contradictory. The emails that WikiLeaks

07:27

Peanut agglutinin could induce apoptotic and autophagic cell death in cervical cancer cells. "IndyWatch Feed Health"

PMID:  Food Chem Toxicol. 2014 Feb ;64:369-77. Epub 2013 Dec 9. PMID: 24333024 Abstract Title:  In vitro and in vivo antitumor effects of Peanut agglutinin through induction of apoptotic and autophagic cell death. Abstract:  In this study we unravel the mechanism underlying the antitumorigenic effects of Peanut agglutinin (PNA) isolated from Arachis hypogea in Dalton's lymphoma (DL) bearing mice and elucidated the mechanism in vitro in HeLa cells. In vivo PNA administration at 1 and 2 mg/kg body weight reduced DL proliferation with increase in autophagic and apoptotic characteristics. In vitro data showed that PNA at 0.1-100μg/ml dose exhibit selective antiproliferative activity on various cancer cell lines without displaying cytotoxic effect on normal cells. However, heat denatured PNA failed to show any antiproliferative activity. Moreover, PNA was found to induce autophagic and apoptotic cell death in HeLa cells. Exponential increase in reactive oxygen species (ROS) was proved to be the master signal for promoting PNA induced cell death in HeLa cells. Interestingly, when HeLa cells were pre-exposed with N-acetylcysteine (NAC) and followed to PNA treatment, there was sharp decline in autophagy, apoptosis and aconcomitant abrogation of antiproliferative potential. PNA at lower doses was also seen to inflict senescence. Hence, this common culinary item derived molecule whose discovery dates back to late 1970s was for the first time evaluated mechanistically in vivo and in vitro as a novel naturally occurring therapeutic agent against cancer.

read more

07:25

Fake Food Versus Real Food – A Question Of Life Or Death "IndyWatch Feed Spiritual"

supermarket-949913_960_720

By Julian Rose

As the New Year dawns, so does our thinking process have an opportunity to do likewise. And why not make it a first call to get your priorities sorted out about your 2017 eating habits? After all, it is the quality of the fuel that you put in the tank that ensures how well your engine runs.

Although they might look nice, the great majority of supermarket foods are just a brilliant con trick. And I’m telling you this, sensing that the majority reading this article are most likely still doing most of their food shopping in a supermarket or ‘superstore’.

Alright, so put on your safety belt, because I’m going to take you on a rapid ride down the isles of that ‘superstore’ just down the road from you.

First impression: Wow, so much choice! Wrong, the product range you are looking at is made up of many slight variations of ‘one food’, and that one food has a number of different manufacturers. So you go to get a litre or two of milk; Oh my! Six different mega dairies have their goods on display, all churning out the same white stuff (called milk), and they all look identical. Choice? Oh yes, you can have skimmed, reduced low fat, or whole; all of which are pasteurised and homogenized. And, of course, there’s ultra heat treated (UHT). But there’s no ‘milk’ available. I think you get my drift: each of those products is a denatured distortion of ‘real milk’. Real Milk is ‘illegal’ in these places – unless you’re in France. Raw unpasteurised milk, with nothing added or taken out: not allowed.

Stick with me on dairy, because in many ways it’s symbolic of all the rest of the junk in this ‘superstore’. Did you know that ‘homogenized’ milk involves forcing the cream layer (which normally floats on the top) to morph into the rest of the milk? Yes, that’s what happens; and it’s a particularly dodgy business because this forcing is done under very high pressures, where the milk is blasted through a metal plate perforated with many small holes, thereby forcing the cream into the milk and the milk into the cream, so you can’t see the difference. What comes out the other end resembles ‘another food’ – and by the time it’s also been heat treated (pasteurised), squir...

07:22

Richard Prince Disowns His Ivanka Trump Portrait, Possibly Increasing Its Value "IndyWatch Feed Arts"

Ivanka Trump with her not-Richard Prince portrait (screenshot by the author via @ivankatrump/Instagram)Ivanka Trump with her not-Richard Prince portrait (screenshot by the author via @ivankatrump/Instagram)

Richard Prince claims he has returned the $36,000 he received from Ivanka Trump for a work he recently disavowed as “fake.” The artist intended the gesture as an act of protest directed at Trump’s father, who is due to be sworn in as the 45th President of the United States in one week, but it may have the unintended consequence of making the work more (rather than less) valuable.

The piece, from Prince’s ongoing New Portraits series, is a screenshot of a photo from Trump’s Instagram feed (a mid-makeover selfie), comments and all, printed on canvas. It was specially commissioned by Trump in a transaction brokered by an art advisor in November 2014. On Wednesday, Prince took to Twitter to publicly renounce the piece. “This is not my work. I did not make it. I deny. I denounce. This fake art,” he tweeted. Prince intended his action as a protest against Trump and her father, echoing recent public statements by other artists whose work Trump owns, including Alex Da Corte and Nate Lowman, who are involved in the “Dear Ivanka” campaign.

However, given the many layers of irony, filteri...

07:21

New study: Hormone disrupting chemicals can cause Endometriosis & Fibroids "IndyWatch Feed Fertility"

In a new study, a team of researchers set out to estimate the health cost of two chemicals in the European Union - Phthalates and DDE. Both of these chemicals are known hormone disruptors and are found virtually everywhere in the Western world. From plastics to pesticides and from makeup to food both pthalates and DDE are almost impossible to avoid by anyone living a life that is considered somewhat normal. But both have been strongly linked with "common" female reproductive issues, particularly endometriosis and fibroids. Between fibroids and endometriosis, it is estimated that 70% of women will experience infertility as a result of exposure. There are substantial human and toxicological studies (in mice and other lab animals) that suggest that exposure to these endocrine-disrupting chemicals, many of which are increasing in use, are contributing to female reproductive conditions," said Dr. Leonardo Trasande, associate professor of pediatrics at New York University School of Medicine.

07:19

Finding and Photographing a Lunar ‘Fog Bow’: What to Look For "IndyWatch Feed Photography"

A month ago I had never seen a lunar fog bow; now I have seen three. I got to see my first lunar fog bow on December 17th, and last night I got to see two more of these elusive phenomena. We had lots of fog around the city of Östersund and since it was the night of the full moon, I drove around chasing locations where I could see this beautiful phenomenon.

I photographed two relatively good ones two hours apart and included the time and height of the Moon when the photos was taken for reference.

This is something I really love with this type of photography, learning about new phenomena and uncovering how and when to see them. After seeing my first lunar fog bow I knew what conditions to look for, and last night it was just a matter of finding the right spot.

Here’s what you should look for:

The moon light needs to be bright, so the days around full moon are best. Also, the light from the moon can’t be too obscured by the fog, and you need to have rather dense fog in the opposite direction of the moon. Try to find a location where you’re standing just beneath the top of the fog; that way you’re inside the fog but the moon light is still bright enough to light up the bow.

Also, as you can see by the two photos above, a lunar fog bow works exactly the same as a rainbow—in other words: the height of the bow is determined by the height of the light source (Sun/Moon). So, if the moon is too high in the sky (> ~35°) the fog bow won’t be visible.

A rainbow has a radius of 42° so if the Sun’s altitude in the sky is more than 42°, a rainbow can’t be visible. The same goes for a fog bow, but it has a much broader range, 30-45°. So, the lower the altitude of the Sun/moon is, the higher the bow is.

Good luck bow hunting!

About the author: Göran Strand is a professional photographer based in Östersund, Sweden. You can find more of his work on his...

07:18

Why religious terrorism is really religious "IndyWatch Feed Spiritual"

To understand religious terrorism we first have to listen to what the terrorists themselves are saying. Not many people are prepared to do this.

07:15

Among mothers without peanut allergy, consumption of peanuts was associated with lower risk of peanut allergy in their offspring. "IndyWatch Feed Health"

PMID:  JAMA Pediatr. 2014 Feb ;168(2):156-62. PMID: 24366539 Abstract Title:  Prospective study of peripregnancy consumption of peanuts or tree nuts by mothers and the risk of peanut or tree nut allergy in their offspring. Abstract:  IMPORTANCE: The etiology of the increasing childhood prevalence of peanut or tree nut (P/TN) allergy is unknown.OBJECTIVE: To examine the association between peripregnancy consumption of P/TN by mothers and the risk of P/TN allergy in their offspring.DESIGN, SETTING, AND PARTICIPANTS: Prospective cohort study. The 10,907 participants in the Growing Up Today Study 2, born between January 1, 1990, and December 31, 1994, are the offspring of women who previously reported their diet during, or shortly before or after, their pregnancy with this child as part of the ongoing Nurses' Health Study II. In 2006, the offspring reported physician-diagnosed food allergy. Mothers were asked to confirm the diagnosis and to provide available medical records and allergy test results. Two board-certified pediatricians, including a board-certified allergist/immunologist, independently reviewed each potential case and assigned a confirmation code (eg, likely food allergy) to each case. Unadjusted and multivariable logistic regression analyses were used to evaluate associations between peripregnancy consumption of P/TN by mothers and incident P/TN allergy in their offspring.EXPOSURE: Peripregnancy consumption of P/TN.MAIN OUTCOMES AND MEASURES: Physician-diagnosed P/TN allergy in offspring.RESULTS: Among 8205 children, we identified 308 cases of food allergy (any food), including 140 cases of P/TN allergy. The incidence of P/TN allergy in the offspring was significantly lower among children of the 8059 nonallergic mothers who consumed more P/TN in their peripregnancy diet (≥ 5 times vs

read more

07:13

Lightning Network One Step Closer to Reality as Lightning Labs Announces Alpha Release "IndyWatch Feed Crypto"

http://ift.tt/2ilv3rX

Lightning Labs, one of the prominent companies working to realize the lightning network, announced this week the alpha release of the open-source lightning daemon they’ve been spearheading: LND. While only compatible with Bitcoin’s testnet so far, the software is relatively feature-complete and operational.

“We’re now looking for the wider community to test the software,” Joseph Poon, Lightning Labs developer and co-author of the lightning network white paper, told Bitcoin Magazine. “To get it ready for widespread use, but also to explore new use cases this enables.”

The Lightning Network

The lightning network is a highly anticipated second-layer protocol to be rolled out on top of Bitcoin’s blockchain. Cleverly utilizing Bitcoin’s programmable elements (like multisignature and time-locks), lightning users should be able to make a virtually unlimited number of off-chain transactions with instant confirmations and at low cost. This should boost Bitcoin’s micropayment-ability, overall scalability and even privacy.

The release of LND v0.1-alpha, written in the Go programming language, signifies that development of the protocol is on track. The implementation developed by Lightning Labs, but also BitFury and others, can open and close channels with counterparties to transact, route payments over the network, forward transactions from other users and more.

“Things are progressing very well,” Poon acknowledged. “We now mainly need to finalize the specification, work on cross-compatibility with other implementations and improve various components like payment receipts and multi-hop payments. Additionally, we’ll focus on optimizing performance over the next couple of months.”

That said, the lightning daemon is not very user-friendly yet, as it’s mostly intended for developers and experimentation. It doesn’t include a user interface — though that will soon change, the team noted — and is so far only compatible with Bitcoin’s testnet.

Li...

07:06

Nut consumption was associated with decreased overall and cardiovascular disease mortality. "IndyWatch Feed Health"

PMID:  JAMA Intern Med. 2015 May ;175(5):755-66. PMID: 25730101 Abstract Title:  Prospective evaluation of the association of nut/peanut consumption with total and cause-specific mortality. Abstract:  IMPORTANCE: High intake of nuts has been linked to a reduced risk of mortality. Previous studies, however, were primarily conducted among people of European descent, particularly those of high socioeconomic status.OBJECTIVE: To examine the association of nut consumption with total and cause-specific mortality in Americans of African and European descent who were predominantly of low socioeconomic status (SES) and in Chinese individuals in Shanghai, China.DESIGN, SETTING, AND PARTICIPANTS: Three large cohorts were evaluated in the study. One included 71 764 US residents of African and European descent, primarily of low SES, who were participants in the Southern Community Cohort Study (SCCS) in the southeastern United States (March 2002 to September 2009), and the other 2 cohorts included 134 265 participants in the Shanghai Women's Health Study (SWHS) (December 1996 to May 2000) and the Shanghai Men's Health Study (SMHS) (January 2002 to September 2006) in Shanghai, China. Self-reported nut consumption in the SCCS (approximately 50% were peanuts) and peanut-only consumption in the SMHS/SWHS were assessed using validated food frequency questionnaires.MAIN OUTCOMES AND MEASURES: Deaths were ascertained through linkage with the National Death Index and Social Security Administration mortality files in the SCCS and annual linkage with the Shanghai Vital Statistics Registry and by biennial home visits in the SWHS/SMHS. Cox proportional hazards regression models were used to calculate hazard ratios (HRs) and 95% CIs.RESULTS: With a median follow-up of 5.4 years in the SCCS, 6.5 years in the SMHS, and 12.2 years in the SWHS, 14,440 deaths were identified. More than half of the women in the SCCS were ever smokers compared with only 2.8% in the SWHS. The ever-smoking rate for men was 77.1% in the SCCS and 69.6% in the SMHS. Nut intake was inversely associated with risk of total mortality in all 3 cohorts (all P

read more

Custom Baked Murder (A Pawsitively Organic Mystery) "IndyWatch Feed Literature"

Author:  Liz Mugavero
Genre:  Mystery

Paperback; Ebook
ISBN #:  9781496700193
Kensington Publishing
304 Pages
$7.99; $5.99 Amazon
December 27, 2016

✮✮✮✮✮

Summer is winding down in Frog Ledge, Connecticut, but Stan's love life and career are both heating up nicely.  In between planning her new pet patisserie and cafe′, Stan is settling into living-in-bliss with sexy pub owner Jake McGee.  Love's on the menu for Stan's mom, Patricia, too, who's engaged to Frog Ledge's mayor, Tony Falco.

Mayor Falco's dogged ambition isn't popular among locals, but it's his executive coach, Eleanor Chang, who's inspired a dangerous grudge.  When Eleanor is found dead, there's a whole pack of suspects to choose from.  Stan has first-hand experience of Eleanor's unsavory business tactics.  But finding out who forced her to take a fatal plunge off the corporate ladder means unearthing some shady secrets...and a killer who's too close for comfort.

Kristan "Stan" Connor lives in Frog Ledge, Connecticut with her boyfriend Jake McGee, owns a gourmet pet food business, and is busy planning the opening of her new pet patisserie.  She's also dealing with the fact that her mother Patricia is engaged to the town's mayor, Tony Falco (not Stan's favorite person), and expects her to attend the engagement party.  But before she can even leave her home her sister Caitlyn arrives on her doorstep along with her daughter Eva, and expects to stay with Stan 'temporarily'.  Stan and her sister have never been close - being polar opposites - yet she decides now isn't the time to deal with it and they head out to the party.

Stan has more surprises waiting for her:  when she arrives she finds Eleanor Chung, an old co-worker who now has Stan's job and aiming to gloat; and when Stan escapes her she comes face-to-face with other ex-coworkers, including her ex-boyfriend Richard Ruse.  But the surprises don't end there:  Af...

Sublime Opening Titles to the Style Frames Design Conference Animated by Eran Hilleli "IndyWatch Feed Arts"

For the Style Frames Design Conference held last November in New York, Tel Aviv-based artist and animator Eran Hilleli was asked to create an opening titles sequence that would set the tone for the event and list the names of various speakers. The result is this short three-minute video of converging characters that’s almost too wonderful to describe. I’ve watched this at least 5 times over the last two months and every time it gives me chills. I wish this was a full-length movie, or more likely a video game, something more immersive to learn more about all the different creatures that appear so briefly. Music by Disasterpiece. (via Vimeo Staff Picks)

07:00

Bitcoin is Becoming a De Facto World Currency "IndyWatch Feed Crypto"

Bitcoin is becoming a world currency. Credibility and safe-haven currency functionality are some of the sine qua non features of a world currency. Signs corroborating that Bitcoin exhibits these two features are appearing more frequently and in ever more significant use-cases.

Also read: One of These 5 Hyperinflating Economies Could Adopt Bitcoin in 2017

Bitcoin is Gearing Up to be a World Reserve Currency

shutterstock_527150401The People’s Bank of China

Recently, The People’s Bank of China added to Bitcoin’s credibility by meeting with the executives of the largest Bitcoin exchange platform in China.

In effect, officials from The People’s Bank of China met with BTCC on January 6, 2017.

The purpose of the meeting was to “urge rational investment in Bitcoin,” Reuters reported.

However, most importantly, the meeting demonstrated that authorities at The People’s Bank of China consider Bitcoin trading a proper business endeavor.

Commenting on the BTCC-The People’s Bank of China meeting, a Reddit user, vapor114, wrote, “China just did BTC a favor in acknowledging that the exchanges are legitimate businesses that the gov’t recognizes.”

Moreover, this was not the first time that BTCC met with bank authorities. A statement from BTCC reads, “BTCC regularly meets with the People’s Bank of China and we work closely with...

07:00

Roman funerary relief depicting a couple with their children.... "IndyWatch Feed Literature"

Roman funerary relief depicting a couple with their children.  Artist unknown; 2nd or 3rd cent. CE.  Now in the Metropolitan Museum of Art.  Photo credit: Ad Meskens/Wikimedia Commons.

IndyWatch Community Resources All Topics Summary Archiver

Go Back:30 Days | 7 Days | 2 Days | 1 Day

IndyWatch Community Resources All Topics Summary Today.

Go Forward:1 Day | 2 Days | 7 Days | 30 Days

IndyWatch Community Resources All Topics Summary was generated at Community Resources IndyWatch.

Resource generated at IndyWatch using aliasfeed and rawdog