IndyWatch Community Resources All Topics Summary Archiver

Go Back:30 Days | 7 Days | 2 Days | 1 Day

IndyWatch Community Resources All Topics Summary Today.

Go Forward:1 Day | 2 Days | 7 Days | 30 Days

IndyWatch Community Resources All Topics Summary was generated at Community Resources IndyWatch.

Thursday, 05 July

02:03

How to add push notifications to a web app with Firebase + "IndyWatch Feed Education"

As web applications evolve, it is increasingly common to come across functionality that youd normally associate with a native app in a web app. Many sites send notifications to their users through the browser for various events that occur within the web app.

Today, Ill show you the steps required, in detail, to achieve such functionality in your web app using Firebase.

Notifications with Firebase

Firebase is a platform that offers various services for mobile and web applications and helps developers build apps quickly with a lot of features.

To send the notifications, we will use the service called Cloud Messaging, which allows us to send messages to any device using HTTP requests.

Project Setup

First of all, you need to have a Firebase account and youll need to create a new project within it.

For this demo setup, I will use a simple project created with the create-react-app, but you can use the same code anywhere else that uses JavaScript.

In addition to that, we need to add the Firebase library to the project.

npm install firebase --save

So lets get coding!

Now that weve done our setup, we can begin coding the module that will be in charge of notifications.

Lets create a file inside the project directory called push-notification.js.

Inside the file, lets create a function that initializes Firebase and passes the keys of your project.

import firebase from 'firebase';
export const initializeFirebase = () => {
firebase.initializeApp({
messagingSenderId: "your messagingSenderId"
});
}

Well, now that we have the function we need to call it.

Inside the entry point of your project, import the function and call it.

import React from 'react';
import ReactDOM from 'react-dom';
import App from './App';
import { initializeFirebase } from './push-notification';
ReactDOM.render(, document.getElementById('root'));
initializeFirebase();
You can find the keys to your project inside the Firebase Console.
Getting the keys

Service Workers

A service worker is a scrip...

01:50

The best move I made in my tech career insights from eight tech ladies. "IndyWatch Feed Education"

Im fascinated by the storythe decisions and circumstances that lead people to the lives theyre living. Ive been navigating my first professional Software Engineering job this past month, and have been thinking about everything that set me up for this opportunity. There were some steps that propelled me forward, and some that pulled me back.

So, I asked some of the tech ladies that I adore to share their insights and perspectives on what they view as the best move they made for their careers in tech.

Wed also love to hear from youpop a comment on this post if theres something that youve experienced or done that drove your career forward!

1. RachelGoing back to school.

I attended one of the first US coding bootcamps back in 2015, and the natural next step was to get out there and get a job. But something made me hesitate. I wanted engineering to be my careerI was crazy passionate about programming, but there were huge gaps in my knowledge of Computer Science. I wanted to figure out how computers worked, how to apply design principles, how compilers functioned, how to choose the right data structures and optimise algorithms.

So I applied to CS Masters programmes, and got my top choice, in London. In hindsight, this was the smartest decision I could have madedespite my initial worries about the mountains of debt, and turning down other job offers. The Masters was designed to teach as much of a CS undergrad degree as possible in 1 yearso it was an intense crash course on the fundamentals, exactly what I wanted.

Some highlights were getting to do a great Artificial Intelligence module as my optional subject, and working with Microsoft for my final research projectI built a genetics-based augmented reality app for their HoloLens device. The doors that opened after I graduated were incredible, compared to the position I had been in a year prior.

Rachel (@secretlifeofcode) is a Software Engineer, now based in Dublin. She recently graduated with a Masters in Computer Science from UCL. Shes a former GSoC-er (Google Summer of Code), and former Community Lead for She++ London.

2. Meraldeciding to go all in as a tech entrepreneur.

The best move Ive made so far is when I decided I wanted to be a tech entrepreneur. As a junior at UCLA, I started reaching out to founders/CEOs of tech startups in the LA area, offerin...

01:49

A Disturbing Thought About the Survival of Our Species "IndyWatch Feed Survival"

The following video is brought to you courtesy of the Canadian Prepper YouTube Channel. Click the video below to watch it now.

Its taken 200, 000 years of human error to give us the world we live in today, 200,000 years of domesticated physiology means that TRUE wilderness survival is a pipedream.

Get a Bug Out Roll Here:

Home

Get Silky Saws Here
https://www.canadianpreparedness.com/product_categories/silky-saws/

OFFICIAL FACEBOOK PAGE HERE!
https://www.facebook.com/Canadianpreparedness/?ref=bookmarks

Survival and Prepping T-shirts
https://teespring.com/stores/canadian-preppers-tees?aid=marketplace&tsmac=marketplace&tsmic=campaign

GEAR UP through this link to Support the channel (USA)
http://amzn.to/2s1XhZY

GEAR UP through this link to Support the channel (CANADA)
http://amzn.to/2znWJ74

Support the channel on Patreon
https://www.patreon.com/canadianprepper/posts

Donate to the channel through paypal button
https://www.paypal.com/donate/?token=StC6bWLYnq4oUFtT2cUS4jECm_BWIdW919o9H8V8wTJvKhpwXj3WbJ4nM89KcPjAhSCarW&country.x=CA&locale.x=CA

PLAYLISTS

AFTER THE COLLAPSE SERIES!

AMAZING GEAR REVIEWS!

SURVIVAL FITNESS!

INTERVIEWS WITH YOUTUBE...

01:48

Israel Tax Authority Convinces Local Exchange to Report Big Traders "IndyWatch Feed Crypto"

Israel Tax Authority Convinces Local Exchange to Report Big Traders

Tax agencies around the world keep applying pressure on bitcoin and crypto companies to make their operations transparent to them. The latest example comes from Israel, where a local exchange with over 50,000 clients has been convinced to report its bigger traders to the national tax authority.

Also Read: Decentral Launches Its New Crypto Wallet Jaxx Liberty in Beta

Bits of Gold to Report to Tax Authority

Israel Tax Authority Convinces Local Exchange to Report Big TradersTel Aviv based cryptocurrency exchange Bits of Gold has agreed to report on its heavy users to the Israel Tax Authority, according to media reports from the country. The company will pass on information to the tax authority on anyone who traders a total of $50,000 or more ove...

01:46

Coinbase Custody Partner Paid $80,000 Fine for Putting Customer Assets at Risk "IndyWatch Feed Crypto"

Cryptocurrency exchange and brokerage giant Coinbase announced this week, to much fanfare, that it had onboarded 10 customers for its new institutional-grade custody service. However, it seems that the firms partner in the venture, Electronic Transaction Clearing (ETC), has a less-than-stellar reputation when it comes to safeguarding customer funds. Though Coinbase is in the process Continued

The post Coinbase Custody Partner Paid $80,000 Fine for Putting Customer Assets at Risk appeared first on CCN

01:34

Facebook Algorithm Flags The Declaration Of Independence As Hate Speech "IndyWatch Feed Survival"

Over the last couple of years major social media, news and video platforms have been actively engaged in the censorship of what they believe to be fake news and information. Often spearheaded by third-party review organizations known to have biased views, there have been countless examples of unpopular speech and commentary that has seen its distribution suppressed or outright banned.

While there is most certainly a human element involved in the review and flagging of information, mega Silicon Valley conglomerates have also implemented automated systems to identify potentially hateful and repulsive content.

To give you an idea of the kind of automation in play and what words and ideas are being identified as running contrary to the principles of media aggregators and distributors, consider that Facebook recently banned Americas founding document from being posted.

Since June 24, the Liberty County Vindicator of Liberty County, Texas, has been sharing daily excerpts from the declaration in the run up to July Fourth. The idea was to encourage historical literacy among the Vindicators readers.

The first nine such posts of the project went up without incident.

But part 10, writesVindicator managing editor Casey Stinnett, did not appear. Instead, The Vindicator received a notice from Facebook saying that the post goes against our standards on hate speech.'

The post in question contained paragraphs 27 through 31 of the Declaration of Independence, the grievance section of the document wherein the put-upon colonists detail all the irreconcilable differences they have with King George III.

Stinnett says that he cannot be sure which exact grievance ran afoul of Facebooks policy, but he assumes that its paragraph 31, which excoria...

01:27

Getting and eating green snake - an unbelievable thing of aboriginal people "IndyWatch Feed Survival"

Snake is one of animals that we all fear. Green Snake is known for strong venom. But in the jungle, they become a delicious food for aborigines. Thanks to Primitive Skills, they can get and process green snake in a special way.
Green snake lives on tree so it is not difficult to see them taking rest on tree branches in a tropical jungle or down the stream. Follow the two aboriginal men to see them catching snake quickly and hold snakes head to avoid attacking.
After finding for a while,...

Getting and eating green snake - an unbelievable thing of aboriginal people

01:24

Fireworks Safety "IndyWatch Feed Health"

Fireworks Safety

FIREWORKS SAFETY Its the 4th of July, and many proud Americans will be celebrating with fireworks. An unlucky (or careless?) few will wind up running afoul of their own pyrotechnics; just ask my old buddy Three-Fingered Fred. Hell tell you. Lets face it, the safest way to enjoy fireworks is to be a spectator at []

01:22

Pork Adobo Burritos "IndyWatch Feed Food"

Pork Adobo Burritos
Tasty pork adobo burritos with rice, beans, guacamole, cheese and a creamy tomatillo ranch sauce!

I'm always in for a tasty burrito and it's so easy to make them at home! These pork adobo burritos are almost effortless when you use the slow cooker to cook the pork! The pork is as easy to make as rubbing a tasty Mexican adobo sauce all over a pork putt and tossing it into the crockpot, along with a can of coke, to cook all day long, before shredding it. The burritos are off to a good start with the scrumptious pulled adobo pork to which we add Mexican rice, beans, guacamole, cheese, cilantro and a creamy tomatillo ranch sauce! Yum! I like to lightly grill the burritos after wrapping everything up in the tortillas and you can't go wrong smothering them in extra sauce!

Read the recipe

01:19

Boston Cops Sing Their Own Carpool Karaoke Rendition of God Bless America "IndyWatch Feed Survival"

The following video is brought to you courtesy of the Inside Edition YouTube Channel. Click the video below to watch it now.

Two Boston police officers sang God Bless America in their squad car recently and their rendition went viral. Video of officers Kim Tavares and Stephen McNulty singing the patriotic song was the perfect way to kick off the Independence Day holiday, and it also happens to be the 100th anniversary of the song. The standard was written by Irving Berlin during World War I, but only became popular decades later when singer Kate Smith performed it.

01:18

The unforgettable lessons Ive learned from 100 boring conferences "IndyWatch Feed Education"

Photo by Tyler Callahan on Unsplash

Ive been to many conferences over the last twenty years. Mostly the speakers droned on about their topics, which were easily forgotten. Thinking back, only a few big ideas really stuck with me. These are three ideas Ive come back to over and over again in my career.

There is a big difference between designed well and well-designed.

Graphic design legend David Carson gave a tedious presentation at one of the first conferences I ever attended. However, fifteen years later, I still clearly remember a pair of slides from his talk that looked something like this:

(photo credits STML and Bernard Hermant)

There is a chasm between a concept that looks professionally designed versus a design that truly communicates your message.

The sign on the left says, Please dont park here, thanks. The sign on the right says, Try parking here PUNK and Ill rip your head off your shoulders. The second sign says a lot in just a few strokes. Its more effective. Its better designed.

Q: Which No parking sign would you obey?
A: The one tagged by the axe-wielding psychopath.

Take PowerPoint design seriously.

Yeah, you read that right. Over a decade ago, I heard a design executive from Adobe talk about how she got her start. She explained how, during the first few years of her career, she was bored to death designing slides for her bosses. Regardless, she took to the task with an open heart and poured her energy into designing the best damn PowerPoint slides.

In the process, she developed communication skills that served her well later onand more importantly, an attitude that every design challenge is worthy of her effort. Amen.

PS: I wish I could remember her name or at least where I s...

01:13

Meadville takes another step closer to fluoridation of water "IndyWatch Feed Health"

The Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection issued a permit Tuesday to the Meadville Area Water Authority to construct and install approved facilities and equipment for fluoridation of the water supplied to customers, according to Melanie Williams, DEP community relations coordinator.

The permit only authorizes MAWA to construct and install the fluoridation equipment.

The construction permit does not authorize MAWA to operate the facilities or to fluoridate finished water, Williams wrote in an email.

After soliciting bids for the project and having the work completed, MAWA would then need to apply for and receive an operations permit before the system could actually used to add fluoride to the water it supplies to customers, according to Thomas Thompson, senior project manager at Gannett Fleming, which serves as consulting engineer to MAWA.

Technically, we cannot feed any chemicals or make any changes to the water until the DEP operations permit is issued, Thompson said.

In issuing the permit, DEP would inspect the fluoridation system to make sure it has been installed properly and meets the safety parameters and other conditions contained construction permit, according to Thompson.

Both Thompson and MAWA Project Manager Bob Harrington said Tuesday it was too early to estimate a timeline for completion of the fluoridation system. The system already has been designed.

The MAWA board will likely address soliciting bids for the project and the construction time frame at its monthly meeting on July 18. Meetings take place at 2 p.m. inside the MAWA office, 18160 Rogers Ferry Road.

Learning of the construction permit approval was exciting, according to Thompson.

Its taken us a while to get here, but it is (exciting), he said.

*Original article online at http://www.meadvilletribune.com/news/meadville-takes-another-step-closer-to-fluoridation-of-water/article_dbc1b3d2-7eff-11e8-887e-e720f6fdf829.html

01:09

Dow and USAID to provide fluoride-free drinking water to Kasarani residents "IndyWatch Feed Health"

Over 6,000 Kasarani residents Nairobi County have a reason to smile after an agency commissions installation of a system that will help remove fluoride in drinking water sources in the area.

The Dow Chemical Company (Dow) and the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID), in collaboration with the Little Sisters of St. Francis (LSOSF) commissioned the system at the St. Francis Community Hospital and learning institutions.

The program will help more than 6,000 students, parents and community at large get access to clean drinking water.

Research shows that approximately 20 million Kenyans suffer from teeth and bone fluorosis as a result of high levels of fluoride in underground water especially in the Rift Valley region.

Gracing the event, held at the St. Francis Hospital along Kasarani Mwiki road, was the U.S Undersecretary of Commerce Gilbert Kaplan and the U.S Ambassador of Kenya Robert Godec among other guests from the U.S.

Through the collaboration with Dow and Little Sisters, we have managed to address the immediate challenge of the water services and the quality of water within the institution and the wider community. This project allowed us come together to find a way to solve a major challenge that could not be resolved without collaboration, USAID/ KIWASH chief of party Joe Sanders said.

The hospital could not hide its happiness for being one of the beneficiaries of the project.

Our long desired dream has come true. Where partnership exists, the fruits are seen and today, we have access to safe and adequate drinking water because of the partnership initiated by Dow and USAID, Sister Irimina Nungari, Little Sisters of St Francis.

Dow and USAID will offer training to various engineers on site, to ensure the sustainability of the project.

*Original article online at https://www.standardmedia.co.ke/article/2001286684/dow-water-technology-to-provide-fluoride-free-drinking-water-to-kasarani-residents

01:09

After Losing Sight and Limbs to Sepsis, Washington Mom Says Life Is Good "IndyWatch Feed Survival"

The following video is brought to you courtesy of the Inside Edition YouTube Channel. Click the video below to watch it now.

Carol Decker was several months into her second pregnancy when she entered the hospital with an infection. Her condition deteriorated, and she developed sepsis, a life-threatening condition that causes heart irregularities, tissue damage and organ failure. Carol nearly died in the hospital, and lost her lower legs, her left hand and her sight. Now, a decade later, Carol is grateful for everything she has, telling InsideEdition.com, Life is a gift.

01:01

Not So Truthful Ads From Yesteryear: A Review of Merchandising Hype "IndyWatch Feed Health"

Not So Truthful Ads From Yesteryear: A Review of Merchandising Hype

By Catherine J. Frompovich

Truth in advertising! Whats that? Something that apparently was disregarded in the not-too-distant past, which led gullible consumers to believe and to accept the hype about products which today are banned or no longer viewed in the same fashion as before.

Take particular notice of the advertisement directly below which bragged it was the smooth tasting cigarette expectant mothers craved. Holy smokes! Have things change. But we also can remember that Camel cigarettes were the ones most doctors preferred and smoked!

01:01

House Looks At Forcing States To Drill Offshore . . . Or Else "IndyWatch Feed Health"

House Looks At Forcing States To Drill Offshore . . . Or Else

By Brandon TurbevilleNatural Blaze

House Republicans cant claim anything if theyre not earning their keep for massive corporations and other special interests whether it be genetically modified food, the banking and finance industry, pharmaceutical companies, the Israel lobby, and, of course, Big Oil.

In keeping with their history of doing the bidding of large interests, House Republicans have just put forward a proposals to impose fees on states that do not allow offshore drilling in state waters off their coasts. The measure is designed to punish states for opposing the Federal governments plan to expand offshore drilling that began under the Obama administration and is continuing under the Trump administration.

The plan to expand offshore drilling has not only met with resistance from environmental activists, even Democrats and Republicans in offshore states have expressed concern and opposition to the plan after public outcry, a stance that has become more entrenched after the 2010 Deepwater Horizon disaster.

01:00

Approval of drug derived from cannabis not necessarily a win for weed "IndyWatch Feed Health"

Timothy Welty, Drake University

The Food and Drug Administration on June 25 approved for the first time a drug made from cannabidiol (CBD), a molecule derived from the cannabis plant. The drug, Epidiolex, was approved for the treatment of two types of epilepsy, Dravet syndrome and Lennox-Gastaut syndrome, that have been resistant to treatment.

Well-designed clinical trials have shown that the Epidiolex product of CBD can be helpful in reducing or eliminating seizures in these epilepsy syndromes.

While medical marijuana supporters may cite the FDA approval of Epidiolex as evidence of the benefits of marijuana, it is not an endorsement of any CBD or cannabis product. This product differs from most other CBD products available in cannabis dispensaries in that it is a highly concentrated and purified pharmaceutical grade medicine. It is the only CBD product to receive FDA approval, at this time. Other pharmaceutical grade products may be developed and approved in the future. Additionally, this product could be approved by the FDA for other types of epilepsy or diseases.

The next step in the process of making this CBD product available is reschedul...

Madonna and Child, Benedetto Buglioni, early 16th century "IndyWatch Feed Literature"

Madonna and Child, Benedetto Buglioni, early 16th century

Grilling with Homer "IndyWatch Feed Literature"

In Valerie Stiverss Eat Your Words series, she cooks up recipes drawn from the works of various writers. 

Ive been reading the Iliad recently, the worlds first war classic, concurrently with Jonathan Shays Achilles in Vietnam, which uses the epic poems central plot line to cast light on modern war trauma. (We will get to why this makes sense for grilling, I promise.) The Iliad, attributed to Homer (seventh or eighth century B.C., possibly), tells of a dispute during the Trojan War between Agamemnon, the commander of the Greek forces, and Achilles, his star warrior. The fight is ostensibly over a girl, but really, Shay says, is over Achilless sense of being sold out by the top brass. The terrifying killing rampage that Achilles subsequently goes on, in which he breaks all of his cultures social and moral rules, is, Shay says, our first recorded instance of war crimes. Shay is a psychologist who works with veterans, and its partially his project to explore how ordinary men, even good men, can commit atrocities, how, as he puts it, war can destroy the social contract binding soldiers to each other, to their commanders, and to the society that raised them. Shay says that the Iliads great tragedy is not the one the marauding Greeks inflict on the Trojans but is the undoing of human character, the destruction of a persons social ties.

The book is also thenin the way that all great art contains its oppositea testimony on the importance of human community and ritual. Simone Weil, in a famous essay titled The Iliad or the Poem of Force, wrote that violence is the poems central character, but that Justice and love bathe the work in their light without ever becoming noticeable themselves, except as a kind of accent. The destruction, in other words, only underlines the importance of what is being lost. And those slow parts where Homer enumerates the Greeks ships, what they cost and who sent them, or names the dead and how they died, become not so slow when you realize that in the books logic it mattersevery death, every person. A central lesson of the Ilia...

The Boys Are Not Alright "IndyWatch Feed Health"

boys health environmental toxicants hormones

By the World Mercury Project team

Over the past decade or so, the term gender gap has taken on a new and heretofore unimaginable usage. Instead of signaling pay gaps or gender differentials in voting patterns, gender gap now seems to be shorthand for male decline and weakness in domains as varied as educationemployment and health. Referring to the novel Atlas Shrugged and its focus on the motor of the world, physician-author Leonard Sax suggests that we may be living ina time when the motor that drives the world is running down or stuck in neutralbut only for boys.

As childrens exposure to potent environmental toxicants has increased, boys appear to be shouldering a disproportionate share of the consequences.

Boys incur excess risks, suggests a UCLA biobehavioralist, for a bevy of psychoneurobiological reasons, including differences in sex hormones and slower maturation of the stress-regulating circuits of the male brainin the prenatal, perinatal, and postnatal critical periods. Boys also are more susceptible than girls to many toxinsand for a longer period of time. As childrens exposure to potent environmental toxicants has increased, boys appear to be shouldering a disproportionate share of the...

00:59

Happy Independence Day... "IndyWatch Feed Survival"

We are the greatest nation in the world, and everyone is envious of it. They will try to take that away, to destroy this experiment in self determined government. Only by our will and strength of our resolve shall this United States remain the nation envisioned by our founding fathers.

Celebrate our freedom, enjoy your barbeque and family, but never forget there are those who would willingly take it all away, either in an instant or over time through incrementalism. I was once said that...

Happy Independence Day...

00:49

Is it still worth being a youtuber? "IndyWatch Feed Survival"

The following video is brought to you courtesy of the Survival Lilly YouTube Channel. Click the video below to watch it now.

Is it still worth being a youtuber?

Check out Survival Lillys Shop:
http://www.survivallilly.at/shop

Want a Survival Lilly T-Shirt?
https://shop.spreadshirt.com/survivalLilly

Want to support Lilly via Patreon?
https://www.patreon.com/Survivallilly

Gear I recommend on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/shop/alonewolverine1984
If you buy products from Amazon over my affiliate links I get a small commission. The price however is always going to be the same for the customer whether you buy it over my link or not. So it does not cost you more if you buy items over my affiliate link.
Lilly`s cameras for Youtube:
Sony http://amzn.to/2b5w5of
Olympus http://amzn.to/2naRUWC

More Videos To Watch Lillys Favorite
Catch n Cook Ghost Crabs

How to catch a HUGE Crab

SOCIAL MEDIA

Facebook https://goo.gl/j79k3j
Website www.survivallilly.at
Twitter https://twitter.com/SurvivalLilly
Instagram https://instagram.com/survival_lilly/

SECOND CHANNEL
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCF5rEt0KErcP4nyajN8ZbIQ
Feel free to subscribe to my channel and hit the notification bell to get informed when I upload a new video. Thanks

Hi, my name is Lilly and I like spending time in nature to practice my survival and bushcraft skills. This is a holistic survival channel which means that besides wilderness survival I also do modern survival vid...

00:41

Newsflash: Bitcoin Price Spikes Near $6,800 in Crypto Market Bounce "IndyWatch Feed Crypto"

Bitcoin price shot upwards with bullish momentum on Wednesdays trading, hitting a 13-day high of $6,784 (Bitfinex). In yet another effort to push toward $7,000 in what has largely been a bear market for much of 2018, the worlds leading cryptocurrency jumped 2.5 percent in an hour during Wednesdays trading amid overall 10 percent gains Continued

The post Newsflash: Bitcoin Price Spikes Near $6,800 in Crypto Market Bounce appeared first on CCN

00:40

Piceatannol enhances TRAIL-induced apoptosis in human leukemia THP-1 cells "IndyWatch Feed Health"

PMID:  Toxicol In Vitro. 2011 Apr ;25(3):605-12. Epub 2010 Dec 15. PMID: 21167276 Abstract Title:  Piceatannol enhances TRAIL-induced apoptosis in human leukemia THP-1 cells through Sp1- and ERK-dependent DR5 up-regulation. Abstract:  Although piceatannol (PIC) is known to mediate anti-cancer, anti-inflammatory, and anti-oxidant activities, little is known about the mechanism of PIC in terms of tumor necrosis factor-related apoptosis-inducing ligand (TRAIL)-induced apoptosis. In this study, we examined whether combined treatment with PIC and TRAIL synergistically induces apoptosis in THP-1 leukemia cells. Results indicate that PIC substantially enhances TRAIL-induced cell death including DNA fragmentation and poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase cleavage. Consistent with TRAIL-induced apoptosis, PIC significantly increased the mRNA and protein expression levels of DR5, a death receptor of TRAIL. Further, PIC enhanced DR5 promoter activity via Sp1 activation. Interestingly, the DR5 chimera antibodies significantly suppressed PIC and TRAIL-mediated apoptosis. The inhibitor of ERK also decreased PIC and TRAIL-induced apoptosis by blocking DR5 expression. In conclusion, our results suggest that PIC sensitizes TRAIL-induced-apoptosis via Sp1- and ERK-dependent DR5 up-regulation.

read more

00:32

Issues in Youth Work: Intersectionality and Identity Politics "IndyWatch Feed Education"

no singleissues

Ta to pinklarkin.com

Further to my recent post on the return of patriarchy Ive had a couple of conversations about the how far the concept of intersectionality is influencing youth work practice. A  thread in these chats was the relationship between intersectionality and the notion of identity politics. Were they the same, different, even at odds with one another? Of course, much depended on our definitions of these ideas. For what its worth our rough and ready understandings were that intersectionality speaks to the crucial interconnectedness of who you are in terms of relations of power your class, gender, race, sexuality, disability and faith, whereas identity politics focused on a specific sense of who you are can fail to speak to the connections. Perhaps it needs to be said that we werent talking about identity politics as caricatured in a Daily Mail editorial.

00:30

Zebpay Exchange Halts Fiat Ops as India Crypto Banking Ban Deadline Looms "IndyWatch Feed Crypto"

Zebpay crypto exchange has opted to halt Indian rupee operations for users as India enacts a ban on providing banking services to cryptocurrency businesses

00:20

CAUTION: Americans Should Be Prepared for ANYTHING on the 4th of July "IndyWatch Feed Survival"

This article was originally published be Daisy Luther at The Organic Prepper

Folks will want to be especially alert on the 4th of July this year for a variety of reasons. Hopefully, it will just be a peaceful day of barbecues, parades, and fireworks, but there are some current events that you should consider before making plans to be out there with the crowds.

While there are no specific or credible immediate threats, with all the craziness going on in our country lately, it pays to be vigilant on the 4th of July. Personally, I tend to think that at some point in the not-so-distant future, things are going to boil over. Will it be this week during the Independence Day celebrations? I have absolutely no idea, but Im not taking any chances and I felt compelled to share my thoughts with you.

Hundreds of thousands of Americans have been protesting.

This past weekend, hundreds of thousands of Americans protested the United States immigration policies in cities across the country.

More than 750 Families Belong Together marches took place in all 50 US states and Twitter showed sister demonstrations in London, Munich, Paris, Hamburg, Tokyo, and others cities around the globe. (source)

Most of the protests were uneventful and peaceful. And its important to remember that even if you disagree with the reasons behind the protest, it is absolutely the right of the people and the American way. But in some places, things got ugly. Other concurrent protests were going on, counterprotesters showed up, and what began as peaceful events turned into riots.

Most notably, in Portland, Oregon, things really escalated.

Last week, protesters blocked access to the ICE building, effectively shutting it down. They pitched tents and occupied the facility.

00:15

Meet Baby Boom Moms of 48 Newborns Delivered at Texas Hospital Within 41 Hours "IndyWatch Feed Survival"

48 babies were born in a span of 41 hours at a single hospital in Fort Worth, Texas. That breaks down to about one baby an hour. Inside Edition brought some of the moms and dads together, and the new parents said they were unaware they were making history. The baby boom started on June 26, when the hospital staff at Baylor Scott & White All Saints Medical Center quickly noticed a major uptick in activity. It was nonstop, and the baby boom didnt end until almost two days later.

00:15

How to Stay Cool During a Heat Wave "IndyWatch Feed Survival"

It may be scorching outside, but there are steps you can take to make sure you stay cool inside. Erica Katz, a lifestyle expert, says if your air conditioner isnt keeping things cool enough, grab a bowl of ice and a small fan. She says to place the bowl in front of the fan for an instant cool breeze. Katz also says you can create your own cooling pad by stretching a sock open, pouring some rice inside, and tying a knot before popping it in the freezer.

00:11

The boys are not alright "IndyWatch Feed Health"

By the World Mercury Project team Over the past decade or so, the term gender gap has taken on a new and heretofore unimaginable usage. Instead of signaling pay gaps or gender differentials in voting patterns, gender gap now seems to be shorthand for male decline and weakness in domains as varied as education, employment and health. Referring to []

The post The boys are not alright appeared first on Health Nut News.

00:02

Defender Lays Carjacker Out Cold | Active Self Protection "IndyWatch Feed Survival"

The following video is brought to you courtesy of the Active Self Protection YouTube Channel. Click the video below to watch it now.

The news story says this defender pulled into the gas station to avoid these carjackers, but when the chips were down he laid that carjacker out cold. Nice work!

If you want to train and get better at real life self-defense, join us on the ASP Extra channel to learn how to respond to situations like this defender who lays a carjacker out cold! http://www.youtube.com/activeselfprotectionextra

ASP merch is now in stock in the storego get a newly designed limited edition phone case! http://get-asp.com/store

NEWS STORIES, MORE INFO:

Raw: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbcbrxzcQ6w

News story (Google Translate from Spanish required): https://get-asp.com/wyeu and
https://get-asp.com/lmrp and
https://get-asp.com/oo8e

If you value what we do at ASP, would you consider becoming an ASP Patron Member to support the work it takes to make the narrated videos like this defender who lays a carjacker out cold? https://get-asp.com/patron or https://get-asp.com/patron-annual gives the details and benefits.

Find a good instructor in your area and get some training: https://get-asp.com/directory

Attitude. Skills. Plan.

(music in the outro courtesy of Bensound at http://www.bensound.com)

Copyright Disclaimer. Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, allowance is made for fair use for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing. Non-profit, educational or personal use tips the balance in favor of fair use.

Wednesday, 04 July

23:58

Happy Birthday America: 144 Revelations from June, 2018 "IndyWatch Feed Survival"

This article was originally published by Doug Uncola Lynn at TheTollOnline.com

Just as destination is determined by direction, so too are transitions roads to revelations. In other words, todays trends are tomorrows historical markers. With that in mind, and for the purposes of cataloguing news articles in outright defiance against increasing internet censorship and memory-holed search engine results, the following disclosures occurred between the dates of June 1-30, 2018.

Although the list may be overly comprehensive for some, this blogger desired encyclopedic documentation for posterity, as well as to compare tracking from previous months.

For the readers convenience, the revelations are again sorted into the same category headings that were utilized for May, 2018; and, for those in a hurry who wish to bypass the entire trifling minutia, there are some concluding comments and questions at the end:

The American Experiment

1.) It was reported that Social Security was to tap into its trust fund for the first time since 1982.

2.) It was announced that border arrests had exceeded 50,000 for the third month in a row.

3.) A CBS poll revealed that a majority of Americans desire a wall on the U.S. Southern border.

4.) At the beginning of June, House Republicans huddled privately in order to push forward a consensus on immigration. By the end of the month, they still ...

23:55

Binance Suspends Trading Temporarily Due to Irregular SYS Transactions "IndyWatch Feed Crypto"

Binance, the worlds largest cryptocurrency exchange, suspended trading as a temporary measure on Wednesday after spotting irregular transactions of SYS tokens on its platform. The exchange said it had temporarily suspended trading and withdrawals for system maintenance following the unusual trading patterns of Syscoin (SYS) on its platform. Binance has since resumed trading activities and it Continued

The post Binance Suspends Trading Temporarily Due to Irregular SYS Transactions appeared first on CCN

23:55

Piceatannol attenuates hydrogen-peroxide- and peroxynitrite-induced apoptosis of PC12 cells. "IndyWatch Feed Health"

PMID:  J Nutr Biochem. 2008 Jul ;19(7):459-66. Epub 2007 Sep 14. PMID: 17869087 Abstract Title:  Piceatannol attenuates hydrogen-peroxide- and peroxynitrite-induced apoptosis of PC12 cells by blocking down-regulation of Bcl-XL and activation of JNK. Abstract:  There is mounting evidence implicating the accumulation of intracellular reactive oxygen species (ROS) and reactive nitrogen species (RNS) in the pathogenesis of neurodegenerative disorders, including Alzheimer's disease. Recently, considerable attention has been focused on identifying naturally occurring antioxidants that are able to reduce excess ROS and RNS, thereby protecting against oxidative stress and neuron death. The present study investigated the possible protective effects of piceatannol (trans-3,4,3',5'-tetrahydroxystilbene), which is present in grapes and other foods, on hydrogen-peroxide- and peroxynitrite-induced oxidative cell death. PC12 rat pheochromocytoma (PC12) cells treated with hydrogen peroxide or SIN-1 (a peroxynitrite-generating compound) exhibited apoptotic death, as determined by nucleus condensation and cleavage of poly(ADP-ribose)polymerase (PARP). Piceatannol treatment attenuated hydrogen-peroxide- and peroxynitrite-induced cytotoxicity, apoptotic features, PARP cleavage and intracellular ROS and RNS accumulation. Treatment of PC12 cells with hydrogen peroxide or SIN-1 led to down-regulation of Bcl-X(L) and activation of caspase-3 and -8, which were also inhibited by piceatannol treatment. Hydrogen peroxide or SIN-1 treatment induced phosphorylation of the c-Jun-N-terminal kinase (JNK), which was inhibited by piceatannol treatment. Moreover, SP600125 (a JNK inhibitor) significantly inhibited hydrogen-peroxide- and peroxynitrite-induced PC12 cell death, revealing inactivation of the JNK pathway as a possible molecular mechanism for the protective effects of piceatannol against hydrogen-peroxide- and peroxynitrite-induced apoptosis of PC12 cells. Collectively, these findings suggest that the protective effect of piceatannol against hydrogen-peroxide- and peroxynitrite-induced apoptosis of PC12 cells is associated with blocking the activation of JNK and the down-regulation of Bcl-XL.

read more

23:37

The Daily: Complicated Crypto Purchasing Puts Off US Investors, Analysis Confirms ICOs Spike "IndyWatch Feed Crypto"

The Daily: Complicated Crypto Purchasing Puts off US Investors, Analysis Confirms - ICOs Spike

Some potential investors find the process of acquiring cryptocurrencies rather complicated, according to a new survey conducted among US residents. Despite that finding, and other obstacles, another study confirms the recently reported increase in capital raised through coin offerings this year. Also in todays Bitcoin in Brief, the Swiss city of Zug concludes successfully its experimental vote on blockchain.  

Also read: Coinbase Custody Opens, Hitbtc Hits Back at McAfee, BTCC Relaunches

Purchasing Process Deemed a Hurdle for New Crypto Investors

The complicated process of purchasing cryptocurrencies is the biggest obstacle for new investors entering the crypto space, according to a recently released study. The authors polled 1,000 US residents to profile crypto holders and better understand how they are using their digital coins. The poll also attempted to gauge the cultural perceptions surrounding cryptocurrency ownership.

According to the compiled data, almost 40 percent of millennials have confirmed owning cryptocurrency, 48 percent of males and 26 percent among females. At the same time, 24 percent of polled Generation X Americans and 15 percent of Baby Boomers also admitted owning bitcoin or any of its alternatives.

23:30

Fox: Florida beaches littered with hundreds of dead fish, manatees and other marine life "IndyWatch Feed Health"

The beach at Boca Grande is a war zone since hundreds of dead fish, manatees, sea turtles, eels and other marine life washed ashore thanks to the red tide (which is a natural phenomenon that is often exacerbated by algae blooms). And if you can stand the smell, a trip to the beach will see the rotting []

The post Fox: Florida beaches littered with hundreds of dead fish, manatees and other marine life appeared first on Health Nut News.

23:29

Crypto Markets Holding Gains, With Bitcoin Above $6,500 "IndyWatch Feed Crypto"

Crypto markets are more or less stable today, July 4, with Bitcoin holding above the $6,500 price point

23:16

EU Regulator: DLT In Trade Finance Still Faces Legal Uncertainty "IndyWatch Feed Crypto"

An European Union financial regulator has published a report to raise public consciousness of the advantages and the risks associated with the use of dispersed ledger technology in fund. In a report published on Tuesday that discusses the increasing tendency of fiscal technology, the European Banking Authority highlighted two cases of use of blockchain from the marketplaces banking sector, including cross border trade finance and ID authentication. With a detailed explanation of how smart contracts and DLTs may be used in case of cross border transactions, the EBA urge the nascent technology might help solve many different issues. The paper wrote: Numerous opportunities emerge from the use of DLT and clever contracts for trade fund.

The most promising are the possible efficiency gains, cost reduction, and reduced chance of duplicate funding and loss or manipulation of documents. Nevertheless, the EBA also noted the emerging technology still faces possible dangers as pertinent law remains uncertain at the moment. As this type of conflict of interests might occur among DLT nodes which are located in different jurisdictions. The regulator moved on, stating: For instance, a digitally signed contract may not be enforceable in all jurisdictions. Its imperative to establish the applicable jurisdiction, in case of conflict, along with the dispute mechanisms, when a dispute arises. The EBA comment comes especially at a time when a group of European banks just announced theyd conducted reside cross border trades utilizing a jointly developed blockchain platform and eyes an expansion to additional markets in Europe.

Elsewhere in the report, the banking regulator also stated that DLT can streamline the ID verification process in European banks client due diligence since data could be shared within a distributed network. Nevertheless, the EBA stated one of the significant questions from the application is how to ensure each part of the DLT conducts a thorough due diligence process in order that incomplete or invalid data wont be shared among different habitats. EU flag image through Shutterstock. The leader in blockchain information, CoinDesk is a media outlet that tries for the greatest journalistic standards and complies with a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups.

Sources:
coindesk.com
published
announced

23:16

The next Wheat Belly 10-Day Grain Detox Challenge begins Wed July 18th! "IndyWatch Feed Food"

Through my New York Times bestseller, Wheat Belly, millions of people learned how to reverse years of chronic health problems by removing wheat from their daily diets. But, after reading the original Wheat Belly or the Wheat Belly Total Health book, or even using the recipes from the Wheat Belly Cookbook and Wheat Belly 30-Minute Cookbook, people still said: Ive read the books, but Im still not sure how to get started on this lifestyle.

Thats why I wrote the Wheat Belly 10-Day Grain Detox and now help readers along in this Wheat Belly 10-Day Grain Detox CHALLENGE. This is the quickest, most assured way to get started on regaining magnificent health and slenderness by adopting the Wheat Belly lifestyle.

This next CHALLENGE begins Wednesday, July 18th to give you plenty of time to fit into a new slender wardrobe and reclaim control over numerous health conditions so that you can really enjoy this summer.

The Wheat Belly 10-Day Grain Detox supplies you with carefully designed meal plans and delicious recipes to fully eliminate wheat and related grains in the shortest time possible. Perfect for those who may have fallen off the wagon or for newcomers who need a jump-start for weight loss, this new addition to the Wheat Belly phenomenon guides you through the complete 10-Day Detox experience.

In addition to this quick-start program, I...

23:00

The Philosopher of the Firework "IndyWatch Feed Literature"

He was looking for a chemical mixturea potion or tonic perhapsthat would give him eternal youth. Instead, when it caught fire, the ninth-century Chinese alchemist discovered gunpowder. From there, our global obsession with fireworks was sparked. From then on, fireworks were used in celebrations to bring happiness and luck, and also to ward off evil spirits.

Almost a thousand years later, upon signing the Declaration of Independence, John Adams wrote to his wife that the day ought to be commemorated as the day of deliverance, by solemn acts of devotion to God Almighty. It ought to be solemnized with pomp and parade, with shows, games, sports, guns, bells, bonfires, and illuminations, from one end of this continent to the other, from this time forward forever more. The first anniversary of Independence Day, in 1777, was indeed full of pomp and parade and illuminations. The fireworks were slightly more subdued than the ones that are used today, since colored fireworks, mixed with strontium or barium, would only be discovered in Italy fifty years later. For the first American Independence Day, orange would have to do.

Fireworks, hypnotic and sublime, are used to celebrate national independence around the globe, as signs of sovereignty or political autonomy. They are the window dressing of the modern state. The exploding rainbows are a tribute to the bloody wars that made the celebration possible. They are a reminder thatunder that same sky and upon that same land to which the ashes floatwe are kinfolk.

There is exactly one European thinker who could be considered the philosopher of the firework: Friedrich Nietzsche. I am dynamite! Nietzsche wrote in Ecce Homo. Dynamite, from dunamis, meaning power. Nietzsche, more than any other contemporary thinker, grappled with the draw and the danger of a fiery blaze.

Born into a nineteenth-century culture that throbbed with German nationalism, Nietzsche was well aware of how such a spectaclebeautiful and potentially disastrouscould influence people. In 1865, he wrote to his mother, after the celebration of Prussias annexing of Rheinland, that the ceremony was extremely imposing. The Rhine, the bridge over it, the innumerab...

23:00

Best Essential Oil for Bee Sting "IndyWatch Feed Survival"

Best Essential Oil for Bee StingFor thousands of years, people have turned to essential oils as a remedy for all kinds of ailments and injuries bee stings are no exception. Youll encounter plenty of Read More

22:52

Regulated Australian Cryptocurrency Exchange to Launch Ripple (XRP) Trading "IndyWatch Feed Crypto"

Independent Reserve, Australias first regulated cryptocurrency exchange, will add support for Ripples token currency XRP this week. Sydney-based cryptocurrency exchange Independent Reserve is reportedly enabling support for Ripple (XRP), the worlds third-largest cryptocurrency by market cap after Bitcoin and Ethereum. With launch of trading on July 7, the exchange is offering trading to both retail Continued

The post Regulated Australian Cryptocurrency Exchange to Launch Ripple (XRP) Trading appeared first on CCN

22:51

job resume cover letter examples "IndyWatch Feed Arts"

job resume cover letter examples

printable hall pass for students "IndyWatch Feed Arts"

printable hall pass for students

reference letter from professor "IndyWatch Feed Arts"

reference letter from professor

administrative professional cover letters "IndyWatch Feed Arts"

administrative professional cover letters

best resume template download free "IndyWatch Feed Arts"

best resume template download free

new years invitations templates "IndyWatch Feed Arts"

new years invitations templates

confirmation of employment letter "IndyWatch Feed Arts"

confirmation of employment letter

calendar summer 2018 printable "IndyWatch Feed Arts"

calendar summer 2018 printable

how to write a simple business plan free "IndyWatch Feed Arts"

how to write a simple business plan free

self employed income statement template "IndyWatch Feed Arts"

self employed income statement template

examples of resumes and cover letters "IndyWatch Feed Arts"

examples of resumes and cover letters

timeline powerpoint presentation "IndyWatch Feed Arts"

timeline powerpoint presentation

additional work order template free "IndyWatch Feed Arts"

additional work order template free

printable planning calendar 2015 "IndyWatch Feed Arts"

printable planning calendar 2015

printable graduation party invitation "IndyWatch Feed Arts"

printable graduation party invitation

letter of recommendation examples for students "IndyWatch Feed Arts"

letter of recommendation examples for students

payroll tax calculator florida "IndyWatch Feed Arts"

payroll tax calculator florida

assistant teacher cover letters "IndyWatch Feed Arts"

assistant teacher cover letters

free manpower planning template excel "IndyWatch Feed Arts"

free manpower planning template excel

free office football pool sheets "IndyWatch Feed Arts"

free office football pool sheets

templates for employee evaluations "IndyWatch Feed Arts"

templates for employee evaluations

how to make a 5x7 card on microsoft word "IndyWatch Feed Arts"

how to make a 5x7 card on microsoft word

packing for a cruise checklist printable "IndyWatch Feed Arts"

packing for a cruise checklist printable

printable emergency phone list "IndyWatch Feed Arts"

printable emergency phone list

cover letter samples for internships "IndyWatch Feed Arts"

cover letter samples for internships

online grocery shopping list maker "IndyWatch Feed Arts"

online grocery shopping list maker

dear sir or madam cover letters "IndyWatch Feed Arts"

dear sir or madam cover letters

do you need a resume for college "IndyWatch Feed Arts"

do you need a resume for college

christmas thank you card template "IndyWatch Feed Arts"

christmas thank you card template

example cover letters for resumes "IndyWatch Feed Arts"

example cover letters for resumes

argumentative essay outline format "IndyWatch Feed Arts"

argumentative essay outline format

amortization table calculation "IndyWatch Feed Arts"

amortization table calculation

free volunteer application template "IndyWatch Feed Arts"

free volunteer application template

dinner party invitation template word "IndyWatch Feed Arts"

dinner party invitation template word

achievements on resume examples "IndyWatch Feed Arts"

achievements on resume examples

travel agency business card templates free download "IndyWatch Feed Arts"

travel agency business card templates free download

funny christmas card backgrounds "IndyWatch Feed Arts"

funny christmas card backgrounds

powerpoint templates for wedding slideshows "IndyWatch Feed Arts"

powerpoint templates for wedding slideshows

making a card in microsoft word "IndyWatch Feed Arts"

making a card in microsoft word

free printable 2018-17 calendar "IndyWatch Feed Arts"

free printable 2018-17 calendar

product management roadmap template "IndyWatch Feed Arts"

product management roadmap template

tri fold wedding program templates "IndyWatch Feed Arts"

tri fold wedding program templates

curriculum vitae sample for nurses "IndyWatch Feed Arts"

curriculum vitae sample for nurses

sample letter of employment verification and salary "IndyWatch Feed Arts"

sample letter of employment verification and salary

IndyWatch Community Resources All Topics Summary Archiver

Go Back:30 Days | 7 Days | 2 Days | 1 Day

IndyWatch Community Resources All Topics Summary Today.

Go Forward:1 Day | 2 Days | 7 Days | 30 Days

IndyWatch Community Resources All Topics Summary was generated at Community Resources IndyWatch.

Resource generated at IndyWatch using aliasfeed and rawdog