IndyWatch Writing, Journalism, etc Feed Archiver

Go Back:30 Days | 7 Days | 2 Days | 1 Day

IndyWatch Writing, Journalism, etc Feed Today.

Go Forward:1 Day | 2 Days | 7 Days | 30 Days

IndyWatch Writing, Journalism, etc Feed was generated at Community Resources IndyWatch.

Wednesday, 14 November

03:00

The Irreplaceable Ingrid Sischy The Paris Review

Ingrid Sischy.

Im thinking of a summer evening in Venice in 1982. The Biennale was on, and Ingrid and I were standing outside a palazzo where there was a loud party in full swing. Ingrid was expected at the party, and so we walked over to the girls with the clipboards standing at the door. Slicked-back ponytails, pale and sleek in identical black dresses, they had perfected the Do I know you? look.

They were checking off the names on the guest list. Ingrid said: Hi. Im Ingrid Sischy, editor of Artforum.

They raised their eyebrows. Oh? And do you have ID?

She did not, and since she looked approximately nine years old, it was hard to imagine she was an editor of an art magazine or that she even knew what an art magazine was. Ingrid said, Thats okay. Her eyes lit up, followed by a quick sideways glance and half smile. Her friends had seen this sequence many timesher eyes darting back and forth as if she was rapidly scanning the pros and cons of something she was about to say or do, running the alternatives and consequences. Laptop fast. We were familiar with this because Ingrid was one of the rare people who allowed you to see her think.

Okay! she said. Lets go around the back and climb in the window. So we went around the back of the villa, pried open a first-story window, and jumped into the party we didnt really even want to be at. Once inside, Ingrid did some brisk and intense networking. She stood right in front of the people she was talking to, leaning toward them and giving them her complete attention. We left by the front door, which was pretty much the way she did a whole lot of thingscoming in the back way and leaving by the front. 

Ingrid was so many things: an editor, a critic, a writer who was interested in the political and cultural, and a sometime curator. Nothing Is Lost is a collection of essays and articles she wrote for a few books and such publications as Vanity Fair, The New Yorker, Artforum, and The New York Times Magazine, and they are intimate, warm, funny, and brilliant, like Ingrid. From the late seventies to the midteens, she wrote about and defined some of the most colorful and pi...

Mars Vigilant (Man in Armor Holding a Pike), Jan van Bijlert,... The Lion of Chaeronea

Mars Vigilant (Man in Armor Holding a Pike), Jan van Bijlert, ca. 1630

01:00

James Baldwins Optimism The Paris Review

From the poster for Barry Jenkinss 2018 film adaptation of James Baldwins If Beale Street Could Talk

In November 1970, in the wake of the controversial arrest of the black activist and UCLA professor Angela Yvonne Davis, James Baldwin reflected on the acrid irony of seeing a dark-skinned woman harassed and manacled by white Americans. One might have hoped that, by this hour, the very sight of chains on black flesh, or the very sight of chains, would be so intolerable a sight for the American people, and so unbearable a memory, that they would themselves spontaneously rise up and strike off the manacles, he wrote in an open letter to Davis. But no, he lamented, they appear to glory in their chains; now, more than ever, they appear to measure their safety in chains and corpses.

The incident began at Californias Soledad Prison, with a guards grisly murder of three black inmates. Davis rallied to the cause of the Soledad Brothers, as the executed prisoners became known. Their black bodies, it seemed, had been unceremoniously shipped off, like so many others, to some vast necropolis of America, a necropolis ironically the only city, by virtue of being a city of the dead, where black bodies seemed safe. But Davis was not alone in her anger at the Soledad Brothers deaths. Months after the murders, armed militants stormed a trial in Marin County to attempt to free three convicts in retaliation. Pandemonium erupted. In the chaos, bullets began to fly in the courtroom, and four people died, including a superior court judge. Davis was accused of supplying firearms to the militants, and she fled California in fear, becoming, in the process, the third woman ever to appear on the FBIs Ten Most Wanted list, charged with homicide, conspiracy, and kidnapping....

Tuesday, 13 November

23:49

Book Review: The Cat of the Baskervilles Vicki Delany This Is My Truth Now

The Cat of the Baskervilles (A Sherlock Holmes Bookshop Mystery #3)The Cat of the Baskervilles by Vicki Delany

My rating: 4.25 of 5 stars

When an opportunity to win a free ARC of the 4th book in Vicki Delanys A Sherlock Holmes Bookshop Mystery series was offered up earlier in the week, I got my derriere in gear and ordered the 3rd book, the Cat of the Baskervilles, so I could get current. It was an unplanned read for this month but one Im glad I found time to squeeze in. Lets hope I win the chance to get an early ARC of the next book.

Delanys a wonderful writer with a great balance of humor, levity, sincerity, mystery, trickery, and suspense. In this caper, Gemma wants to protect her friend Jaynes mother, Leslie, whos potentially guilty of murdering an actor she once knew. One of Sir Arthur Conan Doyles Sherlock plays is coming to West London (US, not UK), and theres a stop at Gemmas Sherlockian bookshop. Unfortunately, during a tea party before the play opens, the lead actor is found at the bottom of a cliff. Suicide? Accidental from being drunk? Or murder? Gemma of course needs to investigate. Detective Ryan wants her to stay away. His partner wants to kill Gemma perhaps a future plot, Ms. Delany? LOL

I really enjoy the relationships and side stories in this series. Between the always off-and-gallivanting Uncle Arthur (yes, named after the author), the nasty but lovable feline Moriarty (so aptly named), and the shenanigans in the love lives and interfering neighbors to Gemma and Jaynes stores, its always a great read. This book is a traditional cozy, but at about the 85% mark, the case is closed in a way I wouldnt expect. Surely, it couldnt be all fluff for the last few chapters I knew there was a twist coming, and then BAM, its dropped. Kudos to Delany for the nice fun surprise. Is it time for my ARC of #4 to arrive yet? Oh please, reading gods

View all my reviews

About Me
For those new to me or my reviews heres the scoop: Im Jay, an author who lives in NYC. My stand-alone novels, Watching Glass Shatter and Father Figure, can be purchased on Amazon as electronic copies or physical copies. The debut book,...

13:24

A Declaration of Egregious Popish Impostures to With-Draw the Harts of Her Majesties Subjects From Their Allegeance, and From the Truth of Christian Religion Professed In England, Under the Pretence of Casting Out Devils (Harsnett) New Online Books

A Declaration of Egregious Popish Impostures to With-Draw the Harts of Her Majesties Subjects From Their Allegeance, and From the Truth of Christian Religion Professed In England, Under the Pretence of Casting Out Devils (London: J. Roberts, 1603), by Samuel Harsnett (HTML at EEBO TCP)

A Discovery of the Fraudulent Practises of John Darrel (Harsnett) New Online Books

A Discovery of the Fraudulent Practises of John Darrel (London: J. Windet for J. Wolfe, 1599), by Samuel Harsnett (HTML at EEBO TCP)

A Hymn On Creation (Day) New Online Books

A Hymn On Creation (New York: The author, 1825), by Mahlon Day (multiple formats at archive.org)

A History of Birds, For the Use of Children (Merrill) New Online Books

A History of Birds, For the Use of Children (Concord, NH: Rufus Merrill, 1843), by Rufus Merrill (stable link)

Researches Upon the Antiquity of Man in the Delaware Valley and the Eastern United States (Mercer) New Online Books

Researches Upon the Antiquity of Man in the Delaware Valley and the Eastern United States (University of Pennsylvania series in Philology, Literature and Archaeology v6; Boston: Ginn and Co.; Halle, Germany: M. Niemeyer, 1897), by Henry C. Mercer, Richard H. Harte, and E. D. Cope (stable link)

An Exploration of Durham Cave in 1893 (Mercer) New Online Books

An Exploration of Durham Cave in 1893 (Boston: Ginn and Co., 1897), by Henry C. Mercer (stable link)

Shakers New Online Books

Shakers: Compendium of the Origin, History, Principles, Rules and Regulations, Government, and Doctrines of the United Society of Believers in Christ's Second Appearing (New York: D. Appleton and Co., 1859) (stable link)

The History of the Puritans, or Protestant Nonconformists, From the Reformation in 1517, to the Revolution in 1688 (Neal) New Online Books

The History of the Puritans, or Protestant Nonconformists, From the Reformation in 1517, to the Revolution in 1688: Comprising an Account of Their Principles, Their Attempts for a Farther Reformation in the Church, Their Sufferings, and the Lives and Characters of Their Most Considerable Divines (2 volumes; New York: Harper and Bros., 1855), by Daniel Neal, ed. by John Overton Choules and Joshua Toulmin (page images at HathiTrust)

Shortcomings of the Puritan Church; and Reorganization of Society (Holgate) New Online Books

Shortcomings of the Puritan Church; and Reorganization of Society (New York: Baker and Godwin, 1863), by Jerome B. Holgate (page images at HathiTrust)

The Hill-Caves of Yucatan (Mercer) New Online Books

The Hill-Caves of Yucatan: A Search for Evidence of Man's Antiquity in the Caverns of Central America: Being an Account of the Corwith Expedition of the Department of Archaeology and Palaeontology of the University of Pennsylvania (Philadelphia: J. B. Lippincott Co., 1896), by Henry C. Mercer (page images at HathiTrust)

Guide Book to the Tiled Pavement in the Capitol of Pennsylvania (Mercer) New Online Books

Guide Book to the Tiled Pavement in the Capitol of Pennsylvania (Doylestown, PA: B. McGinty, c1910), by Henry C. Mercer (page images at HathiTrust)

A Little Book About a Horse New Online Books

A Little Book About a Horse (London: J. and C. Evans, 1826) (stable link)

A Hymn of Praise For the Abundant Harvest of 1796 (More) New Online Books

A Hymn of Praise For the Abundant Harvest of 1796 (London: J. Marshall, printer to the Cheap Repository for Moral and Religious Tracts, 1796), by Hannah More (stable link)

City at the Point (Hays) New Online Books

City at the Point: Essays on the Social History of Pittsburgh (Pittsburgh: University of Pittsburgh Press, 1989), ed. by Samuel P. Hays, contrib. by Nora Helen Faires, Maurine Weiner Greenwald, Laurence Admiral Glasco, Richard Jules Oestreicher, Paul Kleppner, Edward K. Muller, Joel A. Tarr, John N. Ingham, Roy Lubove, Linda K. Pritchard, Michael P. Weber, and Herrick Chapman (page images at Pitt)

A Chinese Beggars' Den (Schak) New Online Books

A Chinese Beggars' Den: Poverty and Mobility in an Underclass Community (Pittsburgh: University of Pittsburgh Press, c1988), by David C. Schak (page images at Pitt)

Citizens Defending America (Greenberg) New Online Books

Citizens Defending America: From Colonial Times to the Age of Terrorism (Pittsburgh: University of Pittsburgh Press, c2005), by Martin Alan Greenberg (page images at Pitt)

11:00

Madonna and Child, Niccol Rondinelli, ca. 1500 The Lion of Chaeronea

Madonna and Child, Niccol Rondinelli, ca. 1500

07:00

Bust of Lucius Verus (co-emperor with Marcus Aurelius, 161-169... The Lion of Chaeronea

Bust of Lucius Verus (co-emperor with Marcus Aurelius, 161-169 CE).  Artist unknown; after 160 CE.  Now in the Rmisch-Germanisches Museum, Cologne, Germany.

Midday in the Alps, Giovanni Segantini, 1891 The Lion of Chaeronea

Midday in the Alps, Giovanni Segantini, 1891

Monday, 12 November

23:53

Book Review: Pawns by Patrick Hodges This Is My Truth Now

Pawns (Wielders of Arantha, #1)Pawns by Patrick Hodges

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Creativia, a publisher with a vast range of fantastic authors, is a go-to stop for me each month. I choose at least one new author and often a minimally-read genre (for me) to expand my knowledge and literary exposure. This month, I went with the first book, Pawns, in a three-book fantasy series called The Wielders of Arantha written in 2016 by Patrick Hodges. For those who follow my reviews, I rarely read science-fiction or fantasy because I tend to want to know all the rules of what can and what cannot happen. Ive picked up a few popular ones, a few non-popular ones, and now Im reading recommendations from others I trust maybe one day Ill actually be a mega fan!

Hodges kicks off the ~400 page book with a prologue from a dying woman who knows she has only a few breaths left. She hopes shes done enough to protect her race and train the new protectress of her kind, but sadly she will never know as she breathes her last moment forever. Immediately, readers are thrust into a spaceship crash where we learn a woman has recently lost her husband to the cause and shes working with his protegee to navigate the ship as well as protect her teenage son. But theres an accident, the protegee dies, and she is stuck trying to figure out how to fulfill her husbands last wish to protect their kind. Who are they and are they related to the woman in the prologue? Then we meet a brother and a sister who at first seem like angry, vengeful people. then we meet the daughter from the prologue and then it goes on switching character perspectives and story-lines. Ill leave out the rest of the plot because there are 3 books and so much I could cover suffice to say, this is quite a book and saga.

After the first 10%, weve met most of the major characters and understand enough of their plight and history. We dont know how they connect to one another nor how all the planets or worlds function. In many ways, this is no different than a novel where youve got a bunch of characters who are somehow connected, but you dont find out until midway thru just theres science fiction and fantasy holding it together. Thats when I realized I had immersed myself in the various stories. I worried less about the rules and began to care about each protagonist or supporting character. A mother fighting for her son siblings with a tortured...

11:00

Roasting the Christmas Beef in a Cavalry Camp, Frederic... The Lion of Chaeronea

Roasting the Christmas Beef in a Cavalry Camp, Frederic Remington, ca. 1892

08:18

How to Reach Me on Social Media This Is My Truth Now

SMA: Top 10 list of social media apps where you can find me

images.jpg

In case youre curious how and where to find me on other sites, heres a quick guide. Please follow by clicking the link with my user name to connect wherever youd like; I shall respond and follow back. Thanks in advance.

Twitter

Instagram

Pinterest

Tumblr

LinkedIn

07:00

Ancient Egyptian column capital (limestone) in the shape of the... The Lion of Chaeronea

Ancient Egyptian column capital (limestone) in the shape of the head of the goddess Hathor.  The columns shaft bears the name of the 30th Dynasty pharaoh Nectanebo I (r. 380-362 BCE).  Thought to come from the Nile Delta; now in the Metropolitan Museum of Art.

Samson and Delilah, Peter Paul Rubens, ca. 1609-10 The Lion of Chaeronea

Samson and Delilah, Peter Paul Rubens, ca. 1609-10

IndyWatch Writing, Journalism, etc Feed Archiver

IndyWatch Writing, Journalism, etc Feed was generated at Community Resources IndyWatch.

Resource generated at IndyWatch using aliasfeed and rawdog