IndyWatch Fertility and Family Feed Archiver

Go Back:30 Days | 7 Days | 2 Days | 1 Day

IndyWatch Fertility and Family Feed Today.

Go Forward:1 Day | 2 Days | 7 Days | 30 Days

IndyWatch Fertility and Family Feed was generated at Community Resources IndyWatch.

Tuesday, 04 April

03:01

The links between pollution and miscarriage: 'This is the stuff nightmares are made of' "IndyWatch Feed National"

The world we live in is slowly poisoning every single one of us. And the chemicals doing the most damage are byproducts of the fossil fuel industry, agribusiness and manufacturing. There doesn't seem to be the appetite at a regulatory or governmental level to stop it. In Australia, 50,000 agricultural, industrial and veterinary chemicals are being used; 1,500 are suspected to interfere with endocrine function, which is essential to the healthy working of our reproductive and hormonal systems. Only a very small number have been tested. Microplastics, which can cause inflammation in the body, is being found in our blood streams and also in the placentas of unborn fetuses. Walking down a major intersection during rush hour can expose you to as much particulate matter as a major bushfire event. Even if chemicals are tested, the testing regimen means that chemicals are only being tested in isolation and not in conjunction with others to see how compounds react. Also, they might be tested for carcinogenic effects ... but the test subjects aren't monitored for other ill-effects, such as endocrine disruption. Some effects take place long after the research has concluded. Some of these chemicals can stay in the body forever. Or affect the way our DNA functions. Theres even an Australian website (not widely enough publicised) called yourfertility.org.au. It has an entire section on chemicals in our environment and what to avoid, stating that avoiding these chemicals may increase the chance of having a baby.

Note: The above was written by Isabelle Oderberg, author of Hard to Bear: Investigating the science and silence of miscarriage. For more along these lines, see concise summaries of deeply revealing news articles on corporate corruption and health from reliable major media sources.

Monday, 03 April

23:26

What the heck is sociogenomics? "IndyWatch Feed National"

I was asked recently about sociogenomics, and I had to stop and think because I was unfamiliar with the word. At a guess, I thought it would about looking for correlations between genes and socioeconomic groups, ethnicities, and races using tools like genome wide association studies and polygenic scores you know, Bell Curve shit. To me, it sounded ominous and catastrophically bad, something that would shift into plain old eugenics and evolve into Nazi shit. But what do I know? I had to go look it up. I was just guessing.

Guess what? I guessed right.

Sociogenome is the comprehensive study of the role of genes and gene-environment (GxE) interaction on reproductive behaviour. Until now, social science research has focussed on socio-environmental explanations, largely neglecting the role of genes.

Drawing from recent unprecedented advances in molecular genetics we examine whether there is a genetic component to reproductive outcomes, including age at first birth, number of children and infertility and their interaction with the social environment.

Uh-oh. Theyre just going to take modern genetic techniques and apply them to sociology. But these techniques will not give them the answers they want! Theyll reveal rough correlations, but they wont untangle genetics and environmental factors they cant. This is a problem that has been pointed out to behavioral genetics researchers for years, and they just go sailing on ahead.

In the past decade and a half, sociologists and demographers have sought to integrate genetic data into their empirical analyses. To do so, they have drawn on recently developed high-throughput sequencing and genotyping technologies, which allow the entire genome to be mapped. They also follow in the line of a research specialty, behavioural genetics, which rose to prominence in the 1970s. This area, which focused notably on the genetic determination of intelligence, attracted severe criticisms, including among demographers (Jacquard, 1978; Vetta and Courgeau, 2003; Courgeau, 2017). However, these criticisms do not always seem to have been heard, and the emergence of new data and techniques has given rise to new problems, as indicated by calls for caution from learned societies in human genetics (Socit franaise de gntique humaine, 2010; Risch, 2016; Socit franaise de gntique humaine, 2018).

Lets look at an example of a sociogenomics study that was summarized in Wired. It does not reassure me.

The UK BioBank is the single largest public genetic repository in the world, with samples of the genetic blueprints of h...

06:48

Meditation for Connecting with Your Baby In the Womb Indie Birth

Take these 10 minutes or so to connect with the baby that is growing in your womb, at whatever stage of pregnancy you are in. Connecting with your baby is one of the most sound ways to open that conversation and receive whatever insight is there to be received.

Sunday, 02 April

14:32

What is Education For? Kindred Media

David Orrs book, Earth in Mind: On Education, Environment, and the Human Prospect, seems as relevant today as when it was first published a few decades ago. Schooling is failing to do what society and children need.We are facing unprecedented planetary ecological destruction and human disconnection from self, others, and Nature. Orr warned that schooling was a primary source of these outcomes.

Without careful attention to how schooled education is structured, Orr warned:

Without significant precautions, education can equip people merely to be more effective vandals of the earth. If one listens carefully, it may even be possible to hear the Creation groan every year in late May when another batch of smart, degree-holding, but ecologically illiterate, Homo sapiens who are eager to succeed are launched into the biosphere. (Orr, 1994, p. 5)

Orr points out that we should always remember that the architects of the German holocaust were highly educated men, whose education Elie Wiesel (1990) described as emphasizing

theories instead of values, concepts rather than human beings, abstraction rather than consciousness, answers instead of questions, ideology and efficiency rather than conscience.

In my experience as a professor and classroom teacher, too many disciplines and coursework throughout K-12 and the college and graduate years match this unfortunate description.

IndyWatch Fertility and Family Feed Archiver

IndyWatch Fertility and Family Feed was generated at Community Resources IndyWatch.

Resource generated at IndyWatch using aliasfeed and rawdog