IndyWatch Fertility and Family Feed Archiver

Go Back:30 Days | 7 Days | 2 Days | 1 Day

IndyWatch Fertility and Family Feed Today.

Go Forward:1 Day | 2 Days | 7 Days | 30 Days

IndyWatch Fertility and Family Feed was generated at Community Resources IndyWatch.

Tuesday, 13 June

03:28

The Importance of Honoring Your Picker as a Doula Indie Birth

As a doula, it is essential to establish a strong connection with your clients and ensure that you are the right fit for each other. While attracting clients is important, it is equally crucial to carefully screen and evaluate potential clients to determine if they align with your values and philosophy. This article delves into []

01:02

Apocynin alleviates cisplatin-induced testicular cytotoxicity. "IndyWatch Feed Health"

PMID:  Andrologia. 2019 May ;51(4):e13227. Epub 2019 Jan 8. PMID: 30623469 Abstract Title:  Apocynin alleviates cisplatin-induced testicular cytotoxicity by regulating oxidative stress and apoptosis in rats. Abstract:  The aim of this study was to investigate possible protective effects of apocynin (APO), an NADPH oxidase (NOX2) inhibitor, on cisplatin (CIS)-induced testicular damage. Four groups of Sprague Dawley rats were used: control, APO, CIS and CIS+APO. Following a single intraperitoneal dose of CIS (7 mg/kg), either dimethyl sulfoxide or APO (25 mg/kg) was administered orally for 5 days. Testis samples were evaluated microscopically for general histopathology and ultrastructure, proliferating and apoptotic cells, and NOX2 localization. Sperm parameters were evaluated. Malondialdehyde (MDA) and glutathione (GSH) levels and superoxide dismutase (SOD), myeloperoxidase (MPO) and 8-hydroxy-2-deoxyguanosine (8-OHdG) activities were analysed biochemically. The CIS group had a greater number of abnormal spermatozoa, atrophic seminiferous tubules, apoptotic and NOX2-immunoreactive cells; numerous large vacuole formations in the cytoplasm of germinal epithelial cells; degenerated intercellular tight junctions; higher MDA, 8-OHdG and MPO levels; decreased numbers of spermatozoa; and lower proliferative index and GSH and SOD levels. All these histologic and biochemical results were better in the CIS+APO group. CIS causes testicular damage by decreasing spermatogenic cell lines and increasing NOX2 activity and apoptosis through oxidative stress. APO prevents testicular damage, possibly by its antioxidant effects.

read more

Monday, 12 June

21:26

Why Dopplers are Dumb (Or, the Overreliance on Technology) Indie Birth

I had fun with this one since Im not attending births right now and felt I could be so super duper honest! My hope for this podcast is that it inspires you to think beyond the (medical) box weve often found ourselves in as midwives and even as mamas that seek midwives. If we threw []

13:50

4 Weeks Pregnant Belly Gallery Kelly Winder BellyBelly

BellyBellys 4 weeks pregnant belly gallery is a collection of our fan photos at 4 weeks of pregnancy.

If youd like to be included in our 4 weeks pregnant belly gallery, simply email your photos to info@bellybelly.com.au with the photo and details of how many weeks pregnant you are, single or multiple pregnancy.

Budgeting For Single Parents | 9 Critical Tips Fiona Peacock BellyBelly

As a single parent, its not always easy to make ends meet. So whether youre newly single or a long-time single parent trying to get a hold of your finances, this article features helpful tips to help you get your finances under control.

First of all, there is no shame in financial struggles. Whether or not you need financial guidance is completely up to you. One-income households, especially, are likely to struggle with money from time to time. When money matters are totally your responsibility, an unexpected bill can throw you off course.

Whether youre trying to build up a savings pot or make it to the next payday without running out of money, keep reading to find out how you can budget better. With the familys financial responsibility resting on your shoulders, youll need to be financially clued up.

Finance for single parents

Make sure youre getting everything youre entitled to

The first thing to do is to make sure you get every penny youre entitled to. Next, check youre receiving the correct child support payments and any state benefits you might be entitled to.

You might qualify for benefit payments as well as child support payments to increase your single-parent income, even if you work. These additional payments could help you each month, even if you only qualify for the minimum payments.

However, the amount of help available to single parents varies greatly between countries, so youll need to figure out what support is available where you live. Many single parents are missing out on financial help because they dont know what they could be getting. Make sure youre not one of them.

Budgeting tips for single moms

Single Parents Budgeting Tip #1: Plan your budget

Start by sitting down and working out exactly how much youll have to spend and what youll need to budget for. Some things will be easier than others; for example, your phone bill might be a fixed cost, but the amount you need for food might vary from month to month.

Having a wonderful life on a tight budget is still possible, but you might need to track your budget, plan ahead and carefully consider any purchases ahead of time.

Your monthly budget needs to be realistic. If you set an unrealistically small budget, youre bound to overspend on your monthly expenses and feel like a failure. Be honest during the planning stage, so youll know what you need to live on. Make a realistic plan of what you will budget each month going forwards, but dont forget to revisit your monthly budget regularly to ensure youre sticking to it.

Single Parents Budgeting Tip #2: Dont forget to include the one-offs

Youll need to buy a few things as one-offs; th...

Should I Start Giving Pocket Money To My Child? Fiona Peacock BellyBelly

Pocket money, also known as an allowance, is a great way to give your children a taste of freedom while helping them learn about money.

Pocket money can help your children learn about savings, budgeting and the value of money. It might also stop them begging you to buy them stuff all the time which can only be a good thing!

Before deciding whether to give your child pocket money, its wise to consider both the pros and cons.

Keep reading to discover when, why and how to give your children pocket money.

The pros and cons of pocket money

The pros include:

• Giving your children control of their finances will help them to learn how to manage money
  • Teaching your child the value of money. Once children understand how long it takes to save for big-ticket items, they will be less likely to beg you for them
  • Reducing pester power. Once they have their own money to spend, they wont be asking for so much of yours.

The cons include:

• Relinquishing control. You wont have a say in how they spend the money. This might be a good lesson for you in accepting your childrens independence; watching all their money go on sweets and plastic tat, however, is not easy
  • Giving your money away. Theres no way around this; pocket money costs you money. Youll have to factor it into your expenses. Consider their siblings and future allowance increases when deciding how much to give.

How much pocket money to give

The best way to figure out how much pocket money to give is to work out what you can afford, think about what your children will want to spend it on and find out what the going rate is in your area.

Theres no point in giving more than you can afford; thats just bad business. And if you give too much, it will only pain you to see it all spent on rubbish.

Ask your friends with similar-aged children how much pocket money they give. This will give you an idea of what your childs peers will probably be getting. You dont need to match it; instead, you should focus on giving what you can afford.

How to give pocket money

There are a few different ways to give kids pocket money. It would be best to consider affordability, convenience and your childs personality when deciding which one to choose.

Lets take a look at the options for ways to give children pocket money:

A piggy bank

If youd like to give your children an allowance in cash, a piggy bank is an obvious choice for storing their money. Theyll be able to add their pocket money each week and dip into it as and when they desire.

The benefit of an old-fashioned piggy bank is that your kids can easily see how much money they have. Its also easy to add other funds to the same pot, so if they get a dollar from a gr...

10 Day Old Baby Makes History In The US Senate Fiona Peacock BellyBelly

10-day-old Maile, the newborn daughter of US Senator Tammy Duckworth of Illinois, made history in the US Senate last month as the first baby allowed on the Senate floor during a vote.

The epic moment, made possible by a recent law change, paved the way for other Senators to bring their babies to work in the future.

Working parents often struggle to juggle the demands of new parenthood with their professional commitments, but this law change is making the balance a little easier for Senators.

The move has attracted a lot of media attention, and it is hoped this family-friendly attitude will be adopted by other employers in the US.

10 Day Old Baby Makes History In The US Senate

Currently, women are entitled to just 12 weeks of unpaid maternity leave in the US. While some women work for companies that offer more attractive maternity packages, others struggle to cover the cost of their unpaid leave.

For parents who return to work soon after the birth, having the option to take their baby with them might help to ease the transition back into work.

The change to the law was approved unanimously the evening before Maile made her public debut in the Senate. The change allows Senators to bring babies under 12 months of age into the Senate and breastfeed them during debates.

Before the law was changed, parents were unable to take babies into the Senate. This policy particularly affected breastfeeding mothers, who might have found it nearly impossible to leave their breastfed baby, in order to sit in on a debate or vote.

Senator Duckworth released a statement after the law change saying:

I would like to thank my colleagues on both sides of the aisle, particularly those in leadership and on the Rules Committee, for helping bring the Senate into the 21st Century by recognizing that sometimes new parents also have responsibilities at work.

By ensuring that no Senators will be prevented from performing their constitutional responsibilities simply because they have a young child, the Senate is leading by example and sending the important message that working parents everywhere deserve family-friendly workplace policies. These policies arent just a womens issue, they are a common-sense economic issue.

Senate Rules Committee Chairman Roy Blunt (R-MO) added: Being a parent is a difficult job, and the Senate rules shouldnt make it any harder.

Before the vote, Senator Duckworth tweeted a photo of her daughters onesie along with the caption:

May have to vote today. Mailes outfit is prepped. Made sure she has a jacket so she doesnt vio...

Steiner School: Its Not What You Think. Heres Why We Became Raving Fans Kelly Winder BellyBelly

The need for imagination, a sense of truth and a feeling of responsibility these are the three forces which are the very nerve of education. Rudolf Steiner.

Before I begin, I think its important to set the scene, because what most people think and believe isnt always true.

Feel free to scroll down if you want to skip to the aspects of Steiner which have turned our family into raving fans. But if you keep reading, youll understand how big of a decision this was for my family.

My eldest child is 15, and shes always done very well at school, from academics to the arts.

Her first school was one of the top private girls schools in our state. We wanted her to have the best eduction possible, so shed have options for her future.

After her father and I divorced, I was gutted to have to pull her out of that school, but I couldnt afford it on my own.

I did what I thought was next best: I searched online for the best public schools in my area. I was so focused on her having the best opportunities life could offer.

Her father was even more passionate about education than I was, having multiple qualifications and a phD in areas of mathematics and science.

The kids were happy in their respective public schools, and things were swimming along nicely until they werent.

In 2016, it was my eldests first year in high school, after my partner and I spent a year traveling with the kids. Traveling the world was an amazing educational and growth experience for us all (I blogged about it here), despite my ex-husbands reservations, at first. He had concerns about education dropping off from where it should be, but thankfully, in the end, I had his blessing.

Upon our return, I discussed the issue of school re-entry with my two eldest kids. With their agreement, I enrolled them into the year level they would have missed, so they didnt feel lost academically.

A few weeks into the school year, my daughters school called me to ask permission to put her up a year level. They were concerned she would get bored, not only due to her academic level, but her maturity level too. We were fine with it, and at this point, she finally felt confident taking a step up.

One Size Doesnt Fit All

Being slotted in and left to her own devices in a high school with over a thousand other students, left my daughter feeling unsupported and lost, socially and emotionally.

Things got worse when she had problems. For example, she was told she had to stay in the second year German class, when she hadnt even had a chance to do the first year.

After her teacher repeatedly told her how badly she was doing, once in front of the class, she completely shut down and gave up. Deal...

12:01

Father And Dad | 5 Big Differences Between Them Kelly Winder BellyBelly

What is the difference between a father and a dad?

At first thought, you may think its the same thing.

However, those who have experienced either a fantastic male parent or a terrible male parent will likely tell you there is a big difference between a father and a dad.

Youll also come across single mothers who will tell you that blood can create a father, but a step-dad can make a truly great dad.

After all, anyone can be a father (or a mother of course).

Its not hard conceiveing a child.

But, not everyone step ups to be a great parent.

So, whats the difference between a father and a dad? And what makes a truly great dad?

I decided to interview a select few awesome dads, who also play a big role in supporting and educating men to be the best version of themselves for themselves, their partner and their children. The result? A really good explanation of what it means to be a dad, where children will thrive and flourish.

#1: A Dad Shows Up

Graham White says, A dad shows up and makes appearances in their childs life. A father takes the time to understand their childs unique personality, interests, critical long-term needs, and the part he personally needs to play to help them fulfill their incredible potential.

#2: A Dad

#3: A Dad

#4: A Dad

#5: A Dad

A Fathers Promises

Graham White compiled the following, titled, A Fathers Promises, after interviewing many men. We think youll love it.

A FATHERS PROMISES
I promise to teach you the importance of doing the difficult things first.
I promise to support your talents and interests and help you discover the special gifts you have to offer this world.
I promise to encourage you to take risks and open your mind to new ideas and possibilities.
I promise to participate with you in a healthy lifestyle and live a life of social grace & emotional intelligence that you are inspired to model.
I promise to support you in discovering your purpose and sharing that unique value in a way you find personally and financially rewarding.
I promise to exemplify the way a man should treat a woman by the way I treat the women in my life.
I promise to remember that you have your own valid feelings and inner guidance.
I promise to set firm boundaries and hold you accountable for your actions, but give you enough room to learn to make your own wise choices.
I will allow you the freedom to fail, I will forgive your mistakes and apologize when Im wrong.
I promise to be there when you suffer loss, celebrate with your success and to tell you the things that I am proud of yo...

07:59

Link "IndyWatch Feed Health"

Trump 2024It's good to have a discussion of autism on the campaign trail. We never know where it might go. We've heard promises in the past. Sometimes it seems being ignored is better than the attention. That's politics. We don't endorse, but you can have at it in our comments!

President Trump announced Agenda 47, which includes a look into autism and childhood epidemic illness. Feel free to share your thoughts in the comments. This is from Real Clear Politics.  You can see each of the 2024 candidates websites at http://www.4president.us/

###

Trump "Agenda 47" Item: Federal Government Must Investigate "Unexplained, Alarming" Rise In Autism, Infertility, Allergies, Obesity

Former President Trump took a page out of RFK Jr.'s wheelhouse in his latest "Agenda 47" campaign platform item, calling for a "long-overdue" conversation about the alarming rise in chronic childhood illnesses, autism, infertility, allergies, and obesity.

PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP: In recent decades, there has been unexplained and alarming growth in the prevalence of chronic illnesses and health problems, especially in children. We've seen a stunning rise in autism, autoimmune disorders, obesity, infertility, serious allergies, and respiratory challenges. It's time to ask what is going on!

Is it the food that they eat? The environment we live in? the over-prescription of certain medications? Is it the toxins and chemicals that are present in our homes? Every year we spend hundreds of billions fo dollars to treat these chronic problems rather than looking at what is causing them in the first place.

Too often, our public health establishment is too close to Big Pharma (they make a lot of money, Big Pharma), big corporations, and other special interests and does not want to ask the tough questions about what is happening to our children's health.

If Big Pharma defrauds American patients and taxpayers and puts profits above people, they must be investigated and held accountable. When I'm back in the White House, I will establish a special presidential comm...

Sunday, 11 June

22:30

The Liver: Your Most Important Fat Burning Organ! "IndyWatch Feed Health"

Proper liver function is critical for a healthy body (and a healthy body is crucial for weight loss). The liver performs over 400 functions, making it one of the most vital organs in the body. One of its primary tasks is to filter toxins and waste from the blood. After filtering, the liver transforms these toxins into substances that can be excreted from the body. If the liver lacks the necessary nutrients to perform its functions efficiently, it can become backed up and sluggish, leading to various health issues.

Toxins that cannot be eliminated properly by the liver are stored in the adipose tissue (fat tissue). These toxins will remain stored until liver function improves, and they can be safely released. Additionally, stagnant bile flow can be a common problem associated with liver health. The liver dumps toxins into the bile, which acts as a river for toxins to flow out of the body. When the bile becomes too thick, toxic matter cannot flow out of the body quickly enough, resulting in symptoms such as fatigue, low energy, constipation, PMS, and increased toxicity levels.

How does your liver function measure up?

If you experience any of the following symptoms or have a history of certain conditions, your liver and gallbladder might be trying to tell you something:

1. History of alcohol/drug use or hepatitis
  2. Long-term prescription drug use (especially antibiotics, accutane, birth control pills, and pain medications associated with liver injury)
  3. Heavy supplement use (especially Vitamin A, copper, iron, and select herbs strongly associated with liver injury)
  4. Sensitivity to chemicals (tobacco smoke, fumes, perfume, cleaning agents, etc.)
  5. Pain between the shoulder blades
  6. Stomach upset after consuming greasy foods
  7. Greasy or shiny stools...

16:47

12 Week Ultrasound Sam McCulloch Dip CBEd BellyBelly

Around the end of the first trimester, you may have your 12 week ultrasound. 

This is a huge milestone as you might be seeing your baby on screen for the first time and its usually after this scan you announce to the world youre pregnant. 

What should you expect for the 12 week ultrasound? 

12 weeks pregnant ultrasound

The 12 weeks pregnant ultrasound isnt just so you can see your baby for the first time although that is definitely a highlight.

This ultrasound is recommended for all women to have a number of checks done. These include:

• Checking babys development and heartbeat
  • Confirming your due date
  • Detecting potential problems in your uterus, pelvis or Fallopian tubes
  • Having a nuchal translucency scan to detect the risk of a number of chromosomal abnormalities.

What to expect at 12 week ultrasound?

The exciting day has arrived. When you made your appointment, you may have been told what to expect at the 12 week ultrasound. 

You were probably asked to arrive with a full bladder. This helps push your uterus up so a better image can be taken. 

The sonographer will use a transducer on your belly (unless there is a need for a transvaginal scan which takes much better images). The transducer looks like a small paint roller. 

You will be asked to lie on the special couch and adjust your clothes (top and pants or skirt rather than dress makes this easier). The sonographer will place some gel on your skin and move the transducer over this. The ultrasound waves bounce off your baby and create a picture on the monitor. 

The scan doesnt hurt but can feel uncomfortable when you have a full bladder. 

What does a 12 week ultrasound look like?

As the sonographer moves the transducer a black and white image of your baby appears on the screen. Usually you can see the screen too or will after a few minutes.

Remember the sonographer is checking a lot of information in a short time to make sure everything is going well with your babys development. If they can, your sonographer will explain the various parts of the baby you can see. 

16:34

The Best Carriers And Slings in 2019 Fiona Peacock BellyBelly

Baby carriers are one of 2019s must-have baby items. They have gone from niche item to mainstream necessity in just a few short years, and its not hard to see why. A baby carrier, wrap or sling lets you keep your arms free to get on with other things. Whether thats holding hands with your older child, tidying the house, or eating biscuits youll have your hands free while still keeping your baby close.

Baby slings and wraps may seem like a relatively recent trend, but they have been used by countless generations of parents looking for safe and convenient ways to transport their babies. From the Rebozos used to carry babies in Mexico to the Kangas or Kitenges used by parents in Africa, baby wraps are popular around the world.

Do I need baby carriers and slings?

Yes, you need a baby carrier. Some parents get more use out of them than others, but its definitely worth having one. You might use it at home with a fussy baby so that you can get on with work or sorting laundry. You might find it particularly useful when your baby is clingy or under the weather when they dont want to be put down but you have things to do. You might use it for countryside walks on terrain your stroller would struggle with. Or, perhaps, youll use it for every outing until your baby is too heavy for you to carry anymore.

A baby wrap or carrier isnt just great for convenience, it can also help you to bond with your baby. When your little one is nuzzled safely in the baby sling, theyre getting a hands-free hug from you. They can hear your heart beating in your chest, feel the warmth of your skin, and smell your reassuring scent. And you benefit from being able to keep a close eye on your baby even while youre out and about. And, of course, all the gorgeous newborn head sniffs you desire!

What type of baby carriers and sling, wraps is right for me?

Youre probably wondering what is the best sling? The best sling for you will depend on lots of different factors including your budget, how long you want to use it for, and what type of sling you feel most comfortable using. Youre probably keen to know what is the most comfortable baby carrier? The most comfortable baby carrier will depend upon your body shape, how long you wear it and what you use it for. There are a few different styles of baby carriers, wraps and slings to choose from, including:

• Soft structured carriers or Mei Tais A soft structured carrier has a waistband and shoulder straps with buckles to take the stress out of babywearing. They are designed to distribute your babys weight evenly and allow you to carry your baby comfortably. A Mei Tai is similar in design but the straps are usually knotted together rather than buckled when in use.
  • Wraps Wraps consist of a single length of fabric. These can be made from stretchy fabrics (stretchy wr...

16:14

A Baby Started Crying During Surgery | What Happened Next ? Fiona Peacock BellyBelly

Nurses are often thanked for going above and beyond the call of duty, and one nurse in China is currently receiving praise from across the world for the 110% she gave to one lucky patient.

When one month old baby started crying during surgery, Nurse Li Baoxia went above and beyond the call of duty to help soothe the newborn.

The one month old baby girl was having surgery for an anal abscess in Guangdong, China, when she started to cry. Luckily, there was a quick thinking nurse and mother present who knew exactly what to do to help soothe Wei Wei.

What the Nurse did when the baby started crying during surgery?

Nurse Li Baoxia decided to step in and breastfeed the baby to help soothe her. Baby Wei Wei immediately calmed down and surgery was able to continue. The caring nurse breastfed and held the baby for the rest of the operation.

Due to the babys age, only local anaesthetic was administered during the operation. This meant baby Wei Wei was still able to move during the operation, so it was important doctors were able to keep her still to finish the surgery.

Nurse Li Baoxia had just finished a procedure in a neighbouring operating theatre when a colleague informed her of the predicament. The heroic nurse immediately offered to breastfeed and hold the baby to try and soothe her, so the doctors would be able to finish the surgery.

Youre An Angel Nurse

Photos of the heartwarming scene were shared online, and parents around the world have expressed positivity towards Nurse Li Baoxia. After the surgery, Wei Weis father expressed his gratitude to the surgical team and told Nurse Li Baoxia, Youre an angel nurse.

BellyBellys resident breastfeeding expert and lactation consultant, Renee Kam, said: Breastfeeding is not just about nutrition. It is also nurturing. Many mothers breastfeed their baby during painful procedures (e.g. heel prick test or immunisation) and have found it helpful to calm their baby. In fact, research shows that breastfeeding helps to alleviate pain during painful procedures.

Recommended Reading:

If you love stories about breastfeeding mothers helping out other breastfeeding mothers, check out BellyBellys article Canadian Mother Breastfeeds Her Sick Sisters Baby

02:36

Leaked: Transcript of Tucker's un-aired final monologue at Fox "IndyWatch Feed World"

Journalist Emerald Robinson has obtained a copy of Tucker Carlson's final monologue he planned to deliver before leaving Fox News, and it is every bit as explosive as viewers would come to expect from the conservative provocateur. Robinson, posting on Emerald.TV, laid out Carlson's full transcript which took aim at Jen Psaki, President Joe Biden's former White House Press Secretary, as well as Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY) for attempting to cancel his show. "She's demanding that our show be canceled because the things we're saying are quote, 'very clearly an incitement to violence.' Is this true? Even accounting for the fact that people tend to hear what they want to hear, it is not true. It's a lie, as anyone who watches this show knows. We are opposed to violence, not just philosophically but in practical terms. We're against violent crime the strong oppressing the weak. We're against the horrors of late-term abortion and state-encouraged euthanasia. And above...

Saturday, 10 June

18:11

Kenya facts of the day "IndyWatch Feed Economics"

The total fertility rate for 2019 was 3.4 births which marks a drop of about one birth from 4.8 births in 2009.

But here is the more interesting part:

The gap between the highest and lowest TFR continues to increase which is lowest at 2.5 children in Nairobi and 8 children per woman in Mandera County.

Here is the full story.  Here is Wikipedia on Mandera County.  Here is another story: The risk of dying in childbirth in Mandera, Kenyas forgotten north-eastern region, is higher than anywhere else in the world.

The post Kenya facts of the day appeared first on Marginal REVOLUTION.

IndyWatch Fertility and Family Feed Archiver

IndyWatch Fertility and Family Feed was generated at Community Resources IndyWatch.

Resource generated at IndyWatch using aliasfeed and rawdog