IndyWatch Food and Garden Feed Archiver

Go Back:30 Days | 7 Days | 2 Days | 1 Day

IndyWatch Food and Garden Feed Today.

Go Forward:1 Day | 2 Days | 7 Days | 30 Days

IndyWatch Food and Garden Feed was generated at Community Resources IndyWatch.

Thursday, 13 July

23:54

Action Alert Tell Congressmen to Cosponsor the PRIME Act The Weston A. Price Foundation

Support Local Meat Processing

Tell Your Representative and Senators to Cosponsor the PRIME Act

The PRIME Act [House Resolution 2814 (H.R. 2814) and Senate Bill 907 (S.907)], badly needed legislation that would allow states to pass laws legalizing the sale of custom slaughtered and processed meat in intrastate commerce, has been before Congress the past eight years; there has never been a better chance to pass this bill than now.

Congress is currently in the process of writing up the 2023 Farm Bill; the PRIME Act has a better chance of passing into law as part of the Farm Bill rather than as stand-alone legislation. Giving the bill momentum was a congressional hearing last month that the House Judiciary Subcommittee on the Administrative State, Regulatory Reform, and Antitrust held titled Where Is the Beef? Regulatory Barriers to Entry and Competition in Meat Processing; a focus was on the PRIME Act as a solution to the difficulties small farmers and ranchers have in meeting demand for local meat with the current laws in place that favor the big meatpackers. There had never been a congressional hearing on the PRIME Act since Rep. Thomas Massie first introduced the measure in 2015.

The more cosponsors HR 2814/S907 can get, the greater the chance of passing as part of the Farm Bill. Your participation and help can make that happen.

ACTION TO TAKE 

1. Call your U.S. Representative and both your U.S. Senators and ask them to sign onto HR 2814S907.

You can look up who represents you at https://www.congress.gov or call the Capitol switchboard at 202-224-3121.

2. Meet your congressmen or a staffer for the congressmen. Tap the links below to see who has cosponsored the bills: 

HR2418  https://www.congress.gov/bill/118th-congress/house-bill/2814/cosponsors

S.907  ...

20:00

Italian Salad Dressing Closet Cooking

An easy and tasty homemade Italian style salad dressing. Summer is the season of salads and every good salad needs a good dressing! Italian dressing is a classic that can be found in pretty much every grocery store but its so easy to make your own, and its even better that store bought! The base...

Read On

The post Italian Salad Dressing appeared first on Closet Cooking.

Wednesday, 12 July

23:03

Summer Squash Pasta Deliciosa The Weston A. Price Foundation

This dish is the perfect showcase of my favorite summer veggies and is cooling and refreshing. I love it so much and could eat it every day. I served this dish at a cooking competition and won Grand Prize, Best Flavor and Most Locally Used Ingredients all three prizes that were offered! I have served it at parties as well and everyone always raves. When I started writing recipes for LNF, I was not technically gluten free, but had been avoiding grains for the most part for about 8 years already. A few years later, as I have fine tuned my diet even more, I have all but eliminated gluten from my diet. I feel that gluten containing grains can be a healthful food if properly prepared (if soaked, sprouted and soured) but since genetic engineering has raised its ugly head and it has been found out that most wheat is GE (even organic), I pretty much avoid it.

It is amazing this is not being served at fine dining restaurants as it is so gourmet and delicious. This will fulfill your need for pasta if you are gluten free and give you added nutrition as this pasta is made with veggies, not grain. I do not normally recommend buying additional kitchen gadgets, but I make an exception with this one as it makes such interesting noodles and other vegetable shapes. It is called a Taglialegumi or Turning Slicer (English translation) made by Paderno from Italy.

Ingredients

• 4 medium sized Summer Squash you can use a combo of interesting summer squash. Try the many beautiful heirloom varieties for a beautiful dish. At least try a combination of zucchini and yellow squash.
  • 2 Heirloom Tomatoes try different varieties and colored tomatoes (Brandywine are my favorites)
  • 2 Bell Peppers try different colors (now there are purple, brown, yellow, orange and red peppers (I avoid green as they can be hard to digest) (if you have the opportunity, grill the bell peppers for added flavor)
  • 4 medium sized Garlic cloves
  • cup Soft Goat Cheese or Feta (optional)
  • cup Olive Oil the best tasting olive oil you can find
  • 2 teaspoons good salt
  • Fresh Ground Pepper to taste
  • 1 tablespoon of each fresh herbs -basil, oregano, thyme
  • cup toasted pine nuts or walnuts
  • Tools
  • Taglialegumi or Turning Slicer

Instructions

1. Use the Taglialegumi (or spiralizer as I call it) to make noodles with the squash. Place in a large bowl.
  2. Add 1 teaspoon of salt over the squash and toss together.
  3. Slice up the tomatoes and bell peppers and add to the bowl.
  4. Add the remaining salt, garlic p...

Friday, 07 July

IndyWatch Food and Garden Feed Archiver

IndyWatch Food and Garden Feed was generated at Community Resources IndyWatch.

Resource generated at IndyWatch using aliasfeed and rawdog