IndyWatch Health Watch Feed Archiver

Go Back:30 Days | 7 Days | 2 Days | 1 Day

IndyWatch Health Watch Feed Today.

Go Forward:1 Day | 2 Days | 7 Days | 30 Days

IndyWatch Health Watch Feed was generated at Community Resources IndyWatch.

Wednesday, 19 July

22:08

Yet Another Alzheimers Drug Science-Based Medicine

A third drug either FDA approved or showing clinical benefit for Alzheimer's disease confirms that the world of AD treatment has changed forever.

The post Yet Another Alzheimers Drug first appeared on Science-Based Medicine.

20:01

Sharon Lambert and Naoise CaoilteMental Health Podcasts: A Force for Good in a Contested Field Mad In America

According to Edison Research, there are more podcast listeners than ever, with 64% of the US 12+ population having ever listened to a podcast. With over half a million active podcasts available, more time is being devoted to mental health discussions. However, little is known about the motivation and experiences of people listening to mental health related material in podcasts.

Joining us today are Dr. Sharon Lambert and Naoise Caoilte from University College Cork in Ireland, who have studied the motivations and experiences of mental health-related podcast listeners. Their recent paper is entitled Podcasts as a Tool for Enhancing Mental Health Literacy: An Investigation of Mental Health-Related Podcasts, and it appears in the journal Mental Health & Prevention.

In this interview, we discuss the importance of mental health literacy and ask if the need for honest mental health experiences is being met from the recording studio rather than the consulting room.

The transcript below has been edited for length and clarity. Listen to the audio of the interview here.

James Moore: Sharon and Naoise, thank you so much for joining me today for the Mad in America podcast. Before we get to talk about your fascinating study, could I ask you both to introduce yourselves and say a little about what you do at University College Cork?

Dr. Sharon Lambert: I am a psychologist and academic researcher. I research and teach applied psychology at UCC and my areas of interest are the relationship between psychological trauma and traumatic experiences in a very broad sense. So, that includes things like poverty and social exclusion, and how that impacts thinking, learning, and behavior. Im particularly interested in how people design and deliver services so that everybody can use them and that came from working in the community with socially-excluded groups.

Naoise Caoilte: I am a recent graduate of the Masters at University College Cork in applied psychology and mental health and it was there that we started this piece of research. Sharon and I became interested in exploring some of the podcast listeners experiences. At the moment, I work for the Health Service Executive here in Ireland, as part of the...

20:00

Journal asks scientist to step down from editorial board after sleuths comments linked him to paper mill Retraction Watch

Masoud Afrand

An engineering researcher has stepped down from an editorial board at the request of a journals leadership following a sleuths comment on a Retraction Watch post linking him to paper mill activity. 

Masoud Afrand, an assistant professor of engineering at the Islamic Azad University in Iran, was, until recently, on the editorial board of the journal Engineering Analysis with Boundary Elements. He also was listed on the website of Scientific Reports as a member of the journals editorial board in the subject of mechanical engineering. 

He now has neither position. He has not responded to our requests for comment. 

In our original story with Undark, Alexander Magazinov, a scientific sleuth and software engineer based in Kazakhstan, said Afrand was likely part of a paper mill operation for a special issue in Mathematical Methods in the Applied Sciences, where Afrand was cited over 130 times. 

Magazinov had cited Afrands association with Scientific Reports as an example of researchers seemingly associated with paper mills attaining editorial roles with reputable journals. 

Following our reporting, Scientific Reports removed Afrand from the webpage with its editorial board members. Rafal Marszalek, its chief editor, told us that the journal had parted ways with Afrand in March 2022, after an internal audit uncovered irregularities in how he handled papers. Afrand had still been listed on the webpage due to an oversight, and the journal updated the page after our story brought attention to it. 

In a...

10:08

New Documentary on Medically Kidnapped Girl Whose Mother Committed Suicide is the Most Powerful Film Ever Produced Exposing Medical Kidnapping Medical Kidnap

by Brian Shilhavy
Editor, Health Impact News

Last night I watched the new documentary that was released by Netflix last month (June, 2023), Take Care of Maya.

This is, by far, the best documentary I have ever watched that exposes the criminal enterprise allowed to operate in this country, and which I have been covering as a journalist for about a decade now, medical kidnapping.

Here is the Netflix trailer:

The documentary shows the true story of the Kowalski family of Florida, a medical kidnapping horror story that we have covered in previous articles. See:

Florida Group Homes in Foster Care are Pimping and Sexually Trafficking Children

Has Florida Become the Top State in the U.S. for Medical Kidnapping and Child Trafficking?

The documentary was produced by Caitlin Keating, who also writes for People Magazine.

Here is an excerpt from People that was published just before the film was released on Netflix.

An Allegation of Munchausen by Proxy, a Moms Suicide, a Daughters Pain: Take Care of Maya Exclusive Clip

Maya Kowalski tells PEOPLE how a hospitalization for her painful and rare neurological condition led to her mothers suicide, ahead of the premiere of the new Netflix documentary

By Abby Roedel

Maya Kowalski was rushed to the ER at Johns Hopkins All Childrens Hospital in St. Petersburg, Fla., in the early morning of October 7, 2016. She had crippling stomach pain (so severe, her knees were going up to her chest, and she was screaming, says her father, Jack,) related to the rare neurological condition complex regional pain syndrome or CRPS....

10:07

New Documentary on Medically Kidnapped Girl Whose Mother Committed Suicide is the Most Powerful Film Ever Produced Exposing Medical Kidnapping Vaccine Impact

by Brian Shilhavy

Last night I watched the new documentary that was released by Netflix last month (June, 2023), Take Care of Maya.

This is, by far, the best documentary I have ever watched that exposes the criminal enterprise allowed to operate in this country, and which I have been covering as a journalist for about a decade now, medical kidnapping.

The documentary shows the true story of the Kowalski family of Florida, a medical kidnapping horror story that we have covered in previous articles. See:

Florida Group Homes in Foster Care are Pimping and Sexually Trafficking Children

Has Florida Become the Top State in the U.S. for Medical Kidnapping and Child Trafficking?

The documentary was produced by Caitlin Keating, who also writes for People Magazine.

Here is an excerpt from People that was published just before the film was released on Netflix.

An Allegation of Munchausen by Proxy, a Moms Suicide, a Daughters Pain: Take Care of Maya Exclusive Clip

Maya Kowalski tells PEOPLE how a hospitalization for her painful and rare neurological condition led to her mothers suicide, ahead of the premiere of the new Netflix documentary

By Abby Roedel

Maya Kowalski was rushed to the ER at Johns Hopkins All Childrens Hospital in St. Petersburg, Fla., in the early morning of October 7, 2016. She had crippling stomach pain (so severe, her knees were going up to her chest, and she was screaming, says her father, Jack,) related to the rare neurological condition complex regional pain syndrome or CRPS....

10:00

What Is Oil Pulling? Articles

Editor's Note: This article is a reprint. It was originally published August 3, 2016.

The history of oil pulling dates back nearly 3,000 years. Before modern medicine, elders in India developed Ayurveda, a form of mind-body health system. The basic tenet of Ayurveda is that when balanced, your body has amazing powers to heal itself.

Practitioners recommend you provide your body support through a healthy diet, adequate sleep, reduced stress, strong digestive process and living in tune with your natural constitution.1

One of the practices of Ayurveda is oil pulling, or the act of swishing and rinsing your mouth with oil. Oil pulling has been used in traditional Indian folk remedies to prevent tooth decay, bad breath, bleeding gums and to strengthen your teeth and gums.2

Benefits to Your Oral Health

Some believe oil pulling may have more extensive benefits to your health. I can't support all of those claims, but I have first-hand knowledge of how oil pulling benefits oral health as I have been pulling consistently since 2011.

Oil pulling is an effective mechanical method of cleansing your teeth and the smallest crevices along your molars that the bristles of your brush cannot reach. Your dentist may have recommended using sealants on your teeth to help prevent decay from forming in these tiny areas.

In the past, popular oils for pulling were sesame and sunflower oils. However, those are high in omega-6 fats, which you likely get enough of each day. Cold-pressed, virgin coconut oil is my oil of choice for a couple of reasons.

Bacteria is the root cause of both bad breath and cavity formation in your teeth. They have membranes that are fat-soluble and break down with the mechanical action of swishing and pulling oil. Research demonstrates that pulling oils improves the saponification, or breakdown of bacterial membranes.3

While sesame and sunflower oils may functionally break down bacteria, coconut oil adds another advantage. Coconut oil is a medium-chain fatty acid found to inhibit Streptococcus mutans, the chief bacteria responsible for cavities.4,5

Coconut oil also protects against yeast infections in the mouth, generally referred to as thrush.6,7 This condition is more common if your immune system is compromised, or may be experienced by infants and nursing mothers....

Messenger RNA Vaccines in Meat Animals Articles

Messenger ribonucleic acid (mRNA) vaccines became a household term during the COVID-19 pandemic. But many are unaware that these experimental shots may be used in livestock intended for food.

Concerns that mRNA injections could end up "in the global protein supply chain" prompted warnings from cattle producers and calls for mandatory country of origin labeling (MCOOL) so consumers can choose meat from countries that dont allow mRNA shots in meat animals.Backlash quickly ensued, with media spinning a familiar tune and trying to paint the valid concerns as "conspiracy theories," "fearmongering" and "misinformation."2

Cattle Groups Calls for Caution Over mRNA in Beef

In an April 2023 news release, Ranchers-Cattlemen Action Legal Fund United Stockgrowers of America (R-CALF USA), a nonprofit that represents interests of independent U.S. cattle producers, shared concerns about the use of mRNA shots in meat animals.

Max Thornsberry, DVM, R-CALFs animal health committee chair, met with medial doctors and a molecular biologist before briefing the R-CALF USA board:3

"Thornsberry reported that some researchers have found that mRNA and its coded virus is likely passed from an injected human to a noninjected human, and to humans who have consumed dairy products or meat from an mRNA-injected animal.

He said that because the research on mRNA is still in its infancy, no one really knows the full impact it has on either humans or animals, particularly its long-term impact. He said this itself warrants more extensive mRNA research focused on safety, heightened public vigilance, and greater transparency."

In a commentary, R-CALF CEO Bill Bullard also urged caution regarding mRNA injections, stating:4

"Its not a vaccine as we typically understand vaccines. So, for the rest of this discussion, Ill refer to it as an injection. Its an injection of a laboratory-produced substance into humans or livestock that is coded with a particular virus, such as COVID-19, that produces an immune response against the particular virus.

And what does mRNA do? Well, it hijacks living cells, tricking them into producing some level of immunity against human viruses like COVID-19 and livestock viruses such as foot-and-mouth disease or lumpy skin disease. It does this by rewriting the instructions from the bodys DNA. And what are the potential risks to humans and livestock?

The truthful answer is we dont...

Is Climate Engineering Real? Articles

In the video above, U.S. presidential candidate Robert F. Kennedy Jr. interviews Dane Wigington, founder of GeoengineeringWatch.org, about climate engineering and its hidden role in climate change. Wigington also produced the documentary The Dimming.

While Wigington has tried to raise awareness about the reality of climate engineering for the last two decades, his work is now gaining traction after the White House announced its backing a plan to block sunlight in a climate engineering effort.

White House Considers Measure to Block Sunlight

As reported by the Daily Mail, July 1, 2023:1

The White House has opened the door to an audacious plan to block sunlight from hitting the surface of the Earth in a bid to halt global warming.

Despite some scientists warning the effort could have untold side effects from altering the chemical makeup of the atmosphere, President Joe Biden's administration has admitted they're open to the idea, which has never been attempted before.

In a report2 released Friday by the White House, officials suggested limiting sunlight to rapidly cool the planet, a process known as solar radiation modification (SRM) ...

The report noted several ways authorities could look to achieve SRM, all of which come with potentially devastating consequences if they backfire ... undertaking the mammoth task could have severe ramifications weather patterns and food supplies, which would in turn impact biodiversity, geopolitics, and health.

Policymakers in the European Union recently called for an international assessment of geoengineering risks, noting that:3

"These technologies introduce new risks to people and ecosystems, while they could also increase power imbalances between nations, spark conflicts and raises a myriad of ethical, legal, governance and political issues.

Supercomputer to Determine Effects

According to Scientific American, a supercomputer called Derecho will help climate scientists decide whether to block the sun:4

A new supercomputer for climate research will help scientists study the effects of solar geoenginee...

09:13

New Documentary on Medically Kidnapped Girl Whose Mother Committed Suicide is the Most Powerful Film Ever Produced Exposing Medical Kidnapping Health Impact News

by Brian Shilhavy

By Abby Roedel

Maya Kowalski was rushed to the ER at Johns Hopkins All Childrens Hospital in St. Petersburg, Fla., in the early morning of October 7, 2016. She had crippling stomach pain (so severe, h...

08:00

This Week with Glenn Ellison Dr. Tenpenny

07-18-2023 Listen to interview here. If you prefer to watch rather than listen, click on the video below: https://drtenpenny.b-cdn.net/2023/07-18-23-HHr-GlennEllison.mp4 This interview is one that parent will want to listen and []

07:51

The Looming Addiction Crisis Fueled by AI Mad In America

From Insider: The first Adderall ad appeared in my Instagram feed during the height of pandemic isolation. I thought the slick 30-second video promising me a super easy way to get ADHD medication was another gimmick. But after the algorithm pushed a few more plugs my way, I started to get curious. The drugs, to my surprise, were real. Unlike countless sketchy ads for black-market supplements, Cerebral, the then-hot telehealth startup behind the ads, offered a legal path to prescription medications.

It was indeed a super easy path too easy. My intake process to get prescribed a potentially addictive amphetamine turned out to be easier than getting Taylor Swift tickets or an appointment with my primary-care physician. Even as I doubted that I met the clinical criteria for ADHD, I could honestly answer the vague, brief self-assessment (e.g., How often do you have difficulty paying attention when you are doing boring or repetitive work?) and receive the same result as tens of thousands of AI-targeted customers: You have some symptoms consistent with ADHD. We suggest further evaluation. When I spoke to a Cerebral nurse practitioner for all of 13 minutes, the experience was much the same. Answering that, yes, my concentration was strained in the middle of a once-in-a-century pandemic got me an official diagnosis and prescription. Like its many telehealth competitors, including DoneKlarityadhdonline.com, and...

07:28

Golden rice anti-GMO activists keeping it away from children Skeptical Raptor

The Skeptical Raptor, stalking pseudoscience in the internet jungle.

Golden rice, which contains more vitamin A, is being blocked by environmental activists because it is genetically modified.

Skeptical Raptor

06:30

RFK Jrs family condemns his views on vaccines and anti-semitism Skeptical Raptor

The Kennedy family is publicly disagreeing with RFK Jr's false claims about vaccines. I hope they keep making these statements.

Skeptical Raptor

06:00

Ep 493 Your gut and a reason why you feel exhausted Dr Ron Unfiltered Uncensored

Are you doing everything right, like sleeping, eating organic, drinking purified water exercising, etc. but still have that feeling of being tired and exhausted? May it is the microbiome (3rd brain) and the mitochondria connection. Tune in.

04:49

Tragic Comedy by Navratra Mad In America

Whenever I do something good,
my mother says,
I am just like her,
my father says,
I am just like him
They feel so proud on themselves
and start loving me so much
as if they are mobile phones
and I am their SIM

But you just need to wait
for a misconduct by me,
how drastically the scene changes,
Youll be able to see

My mother will say,
I am just like my father
My father will say,
I am like my mother
though none of them scolds me much
as, by some divine intervention,
they still love each other

Yes, I have read a bit of biology
but genes changes with deeds
never read this in my life!
The question is:
Is my resemblance something biological,
or just a matter of husband-wife?!

Navratra is a young poetess(writer), public speaker and artist from Jaipur, India. Her poems have been published in various national and international journals like Sahitya Kunj, Indian Periodical, Ode to a poetess, Spillwords, Setu Magazine, The Criterion, Madras Courier, InkPantry and elsewhere

Back to Poetry Gallery

The post Tragic Comedy by Navratra appeared first on Mad In America.

04:46

On Becoming a Butterfly by Michael Robin Mad In America

On Becoming a Butterfly

Little did I know,
the end was just the beginning
Like the caterpillar,
I shed my old skin as if I was supposed to die.
Reduced to a puddle of muck,
I fought hard to get out of the cocoon.
Had someone intervened to help me escape,
I would have died.
I learned like the caterpillar,
that my struggle had to be vigorous yet patient.
Transformed into a brightly colored butterfly,
I fly along the robins of spring.
Like the butterfly, Ive endured pain and loss,
to become a better person.

Michael is recovering from a suicide attempt from ten years ago. Part of his story is reflected in his piece, A Patient Reads His Psychiatrist in Mad in America, June 30, 2023.

Back to Poetry Gallery

The post On Becoming a Butterfly by Michael Robin appeared first on Mad In America.

04:43

The Malingerer Goes To the Movies by Scott Norman Rosenthal Mad In America

The Malingerer Goes to the Movies,
(a Dis-Ability Coming-Out poem,
for Colin Kempner, and Judith Wright)

Youre sitting there,
and its getting harder to breathe.
It feels as if a little man, like a gnome,
has crept up the back of your seat,
and dropped a net into your head,
over your brain

You glance at the woman sitting next to you,
and she isnt there
You look at the screen, and it seems unreal,
like a bad film

Are you in a theater at all?
Are you in a room filled with water?
ARE THERE ANY PEOPLE HERE!?

Shows over, youre out in the parking lot,
wondering how to get home

(Scott Norman Rosenthal, Autumn 82)

This poem was the first attempt to record the bizarre symptomatology of my debilitating neuro-metabolic imbalance.

Back to Poetry Gallery

The post The Malingerer Goes To the Movies by Scott Norman Rosenthal appeared first on Mad In America.

03:45

Morning Coffee Jul 18 Dr. Tenpenny

07-18-2023 Audio Track:   If you prefer to watch rather than listen, click on the video below: https://drtenpenny.b-cdn.net/2023/07-18-23-MorningCoffee-bone.mp4 In this episode, the audience wanted to know about bone health with []

03:41

Children's Health Defense Report: Grassroots Backlash Helps Defeat D.C. Schools COVID Vaccine Mandate Age of Autism The Rebel Alliance!

No voice no choiceGrassroots Backlash Helps Defeat D.C. Schools COVID Vaccine Mandate, CHD Attorney Says

The District of Columbia announced the school vaccine mandate in July 2022 shortly after the U.S. Food and Drug Administration approval for ages 12-15, but low compliance, grassroots pushback and threats of more lawsuits may have led to its cancellation before implementation.

The District of Columbia last week ended its plan to mandate the COVID-19 vaccine for children to attend school this upcoming academic year.

In announcing the decision, the Council of the District of Columbia noted that no state has mandated the COVID-19 vaccine for schoolchildren, that the public health emergency has ended and that not attending school has detrimental effects for children.

Commenting on the news, Kim Mack Rosenberg, acting general counsel for Childrens Health Defense (CHD), told The Defender, While I believe that mandates whether in D.C. or elsewhere were legally problematic from the outset, the councils decision to now remove the mandate is an important step to remedy a mandate that should never have been imposed.

Rosenberg added:

However, parents need to be vigilant in the future to protect their children from similar attempts to control access to education and the classroom by essentially forcing children to take unwanted medical treatments.

Education is essential to childrens success, and to condition access to education, especially by mandating an experimental product is, simply put, unacceptable.

03:00

Borderline Personality Disorder and Survivor Injustice Mad In America

Authors Note: Content warnings for trauma, abuse, sexual abuse, child sexual abuse, victim-blaming, sanism and involuntary psychiatric incarceration.

I grew up in an abusive family. It took me decades to realise this, and to be able to name the child sexual abuse I endured.

It also took decades for the memories of it to fully return, stuffed down into the deepest recesses of my mind as they were, as trauma memories can be.

When the memories finally formed, the first things that I remember feeling were immense pain and terror.

I could still hear the sounds sometimes; they came to me as intrusive thoughts. And I could still see images, like flashes, as though everything was happening all over again.

Out of that pain grew rage towards my mother, the person responsible for all of this unbearable, life-altering trauma that had driven me out of my own body for most of my life, had made it the site of this trauma and an unsafe place for me to occupy.

A white woman's face. A man's hand over her mouth.

My mother, in an attempt to deflect accountability for the harms that she had caused, positioned herself as the victim and told people that I was full of all this inexplicable rage towards her, citing decontextualised examples of my rage and the psychiatric diagnosis of borderline personality disorder that I had been given as corroboration that my rage was a sign that I was mentally ill.

In our last exchange before I ended contact, she wrote to me, You turn your rage and anger on me with no provocation. I tried my best to do everything to please you, but it never helped. You need professional help.

She didnt mention to anyone her own rage that I had learned to fear or the severe abuse that I had endured for so long under her. She didnt mention the fact that I had grown up in a house full of domestic abuse and death threats...

Tuesday, 18 July

20:00

Econ study retracted after researchers find undocumented alterations in the code Retraction Watch

Adrien Matray

An economics study has been retracted after other researchers identified several inconsistencies in the studys code and submitted a comment to the journal. 

Those critics say the flaws drove the papers main findings, but an author of the study says they had no major effect and stands by the results.

The original paper, Dividend Taxes and the Allocation of Capital, was published in the American Economic Review in September 2022. It examined the impact of a 2013 increase in the tax rate on dividends in France, concluding an increased rate can encourage the accumulation of capital. The study has been cited four times, according to Clarivates Web of Science. 

The retraction is only the second in the journals history. As Retraction Watch has previously reported, research shows that it is less common for economics papers to be retracted than research in other fields. 

The retraction notice published this month states, in part: 

The authors are retracting the paper because Figure 4 of the published paper, which pertains to the second result on the increase in investment and which plots the event study difference-in-difference coefficients of the within-firm change in year-to-year investment flows by treated firms, relative to control firms, differs from the figure that was conditionally accepted by the handling editor in two ways. 

The first difference, the authors write in the retraction notice, was that the firm size control variable in the conditionally accepted manuscript was coded in changes...

17:03

Madonna !?! Science-Based Medicine

Remembering the old days of Madonna, courting, and naloxone use.

The post Madonna !?! first appeared on Science-Based Medicine.

11:30

Tanshinone IIA ameliorates experimental diabetic cardiomyopathy. GreenMedInfo

PMID:  Phytother Res. 2023 May 1. Epub 2023 May 1. PMID: 37128721 Abstract Title:  Tanshinone IIA ameliorates experimental diabetic cardiomyopathy by inhibiting endoplasmic reticulum stress in cardiomyocytes via SIRT1. Abstract:  Diabetic cardiomyopathy (DCM) is a common complication in patients with diabetes, and ultimately leads to heart failure. Endoplasmic reticulum stress (ERS) induced by abnormal glycolipid metabolism is a critical factor that affects the occurrence and development of DCM. Additionally, the upregulation/activation of silent information regulation 2 homolog-1 (SIRT1) has been shown to protect against DCM. Tanshinone II A (Tan IIA), the main active component of Salviae miltiorrhizae radix et rhizome (a valuable Chinese medicine), has protective effects against cardiovascular disease and diabetes. However, its role and mechanisms in diabetes-induced cardiac dysfunction remain unclear. Therefore, we explored whether Tan IIA alleviates ERS-mediated DCM via SIRT1 and elucidated the underlying mechanism. The results suggested that Tan IIA alleviated the pathological changes in the hearts of diabetic mice, ameliorated the cytopathological morphology of cardiomyocytes, reduced the cell death rate, and inhibited the expression of ERS-related proteins and mRNA. The SIRT1 agonist inhibited the activities of glucose-regulated protein 78 (GRP78). Furthermore, the opposite results under the SIRT1 inhibitor. SIRT1 knockdown was induced by siRNA-SIRT1 transfection, and the degree of GRP78 acetylation was increased. Cumulatively, Tan IIA ameliorated DCM by inhibiting ERS and upregulating SIRT1 expression.

read more

11:24

Apocynin infusion before ischemia or at reperfusion protected the heart. GreenMedInfo

PMID:  Pharmaceuticals (Basel). 2023 Mar 27 ;16(4). Epub 2023 Mar 27. PMID: 37111249 Abstract Title:  Effects of Apocynin, a NADPH Oxidase Inhibitor, in the Protection of the Heart from Ischemia/Reperfusion Injury. Abstract:  Ischemia and perfusion (I/R) induce inflammation and oxidative stress, which play a notable role in tissue damage. The aim of this study was to investigate the role of an NADPH oxidase inhibitor (apocynin) in the protection of the heart from I/R injury. Hearts isolated from Wistar rats (n = 8 per group) were perfused with a modified Langendorff preparation. Left ventricular (LV) contractility and cardiovascular hemodynamics were evaluated by a data acquisition program, and infarct size was evaluated by 2,3,5-Triphenyl-2H-tetrazolium chloride (TTC) staining. Furthermore, the effect of apocynin on the pro-inflammatory cytokines (IL-1, IL-6 and TNF-) and anti-inflammatory cytokine (IL-10) was evaluated using an enzyme linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA). Hearts were subjected to 30 min of regional ischemia, produced by ligation of the left anterior descending (LAD) coronary artery, followed by 30 min of reperfusion. Hearts were infused with apocynin before ischemia, during ischemia or at reperfusion. To understand the potential pathways of apocynin protection of the heart, a nitric oxide donor (S-nitroso-N-acetylpenicillamine, SNAP), nitric oxide blocker (N (gamma)-nitro-L-arginine methyl ester, L-Name), nicotinic acid adenine dinucleotide phosphate (NAADP) inhibiter (Ned-K), cyclic adenosine diphosphate ribose (cADPR) agonist, or CD38 blocker (Thiazoloquin (az)olin (on)e compound, 78c) was infused with apocynin. Antioxidants were evaluated by measuring superoxide dismutase (SOD) and catalase (CAT) activity. Apocynin infusion before ischemia or at reperfusion protected the heart by normalizing cardiac hemodynamics and decreasing the infarct size. Apocynin treatment resulted in a significant (

read more

11:21

Apocynin ameliorates monosodium glutamate induced testis damage. GreenMedInfo

n/a PMID:  Life (Basel). 2023 Mar 17 ;13(3). Epub 2023 Mar 17. PMID: 36983977 Abstract Title:  Apocynin Ameliorates Monosodium Glutamate Induced Testis Damage by Impaired Blood-Testis Barrier and Oxidative Stress Parameters. Abstract:  BACKGROUND: the aim of this study was to investigate the effects of apocynin (APO) on hormone levels, the blood-testis barrier, and oxidative biomarkers in monosodium glutamate (MSG) induced testicular degeneration. METHODS: Sprague Dawley male rats (150-200 g; n = 32) were randomly distributed into four groups: control, APO, MSG, and MSG + APO. MSG and MSG + APO groups were administered MSG (120 mg/kg) for 28 days. Moreover, the APO and MSG + APO groups received APO (25 mg/kg) during the last five days of the experiment. All administrations were via oral gavage. Finally, biochemical analyses were performed based on the determination of testosterone, follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH), luteinizing hormone (LH), malondialdehyde (MDA), glutathione (GSH), and superoxide dismutase (SOD), as well as light and transmission electron microscopic examinations, assessment of sperm parameters, ZO-1, occludin, NOX-2, and TUNEL immunohistochemistry were evaluated. RESULTS: MSG increased both the oxidative stress level and apoptosis, decreased cell proliferation, and caused degeneration in testis morphology including in the blood-testis barrier. Administration of apocynin reversed all the deteriorated morphological and biochemical parameters in the MSG + APO group. CONCLUSIONS: apocynin is considered to prevent testicular degeneration by maintaining the integrity of the blood-testis barrier with balanced hormone and oxidant/antioxidant levels.

11:16

Protective effects of crocin and gallic acid on the liver damage. GreenMedInfo

PMID:  Gastroenterol Hepatol Bed Bench. 2023 ;16(1):499-508. PMID: 37070111 Abstract Title:  Protective effects of crocin and gallic acid on the liver damage induced by methylglyoxal in male mice: role of inflammatory factors. Abstract:  AIM: This study aims to evaluate whether biochemical alterations caused by methylglyoxal (MG), improves by the administration of gallic acid (GA), crocin (Cr), and metformin (MT) in the liver.BACKGROUND: MG is produced naturally through various physiological processes, but high levels of MG cause inflammation in hepatocytes. Normal liver function is essential for maintaining glucose homeostasis. Gallic acid and crocin can reduce inflammation.METHODS: This experiment was done in 5 weeks. 50 male NMRI mice were randomly divided into 5 groups (n=10): 1) Control, 2) MG (600 mg/Kg/d, p.o.), 3) MG+GA (30 mg/kg/day, p.o.), 4) MG+Cr (60 mg/kg/day, p.o.), 5) MG+MT (150 mg/kg/day, p.o.). After one week of habituation, MG was administered for four weeks. Gallic acid, crocin, and metformin were administered in the last two weeks. Biochemical and histologic evaluations were assessed after plasma collection and tissue sample preparation.RESULTS: Gallic acid and crocin-received groups significantly reduced fasting blood glucose, total cholesterol, triglyceride levels, and elevated insulin sensitivity. Administration of MG exerted a marked increase in the levels of hepatic enzymes. Treatment with gallic acid, crocin, and metformin significantly decreased them. The altered levels of inflammatory factors in the diabetic group were significantly improved in the diabetic-treated groups. High levels of steatosis and red blood cells (RBCs) accumulation in the MG group markedly recovered in other treated mice.CONCLUSION: Harmful effects of accumulated MG in the liver of diabetic mice were effectively attenuated by using gallic acid and crocin.

read more

11:05

Gallic acid treatment protects intestinal tissue against ischemia-reperfusion. GreenMedInfo

PMID:  Folia Morphol (Warsz). 2023 May 15. Epub 2023 May 15. PMID: 37183516 Abstract Title:  Gallic acid treatment protects intestinal tissue against ischemia-reperfusion. Abstract:  BACKGROUND: This study aimed to investigate the protective effects of gallic acid (GA) in the rat intestine against ischemia-reperfusion (IR) injury.MATERIALS AND METHODS: Thirty male Wistar albino rats with a mean weight of 200-250 g were used. Animals were categorized into the sham, IR, and IR+GA groups. Ischemia of the intestine was induced for 3 h by occluding the superior mesenteric artery (SMA) and then left for 3 h of reperfusion. In the IR+GA group, after ischemia induction, 50 mg/kg GA was orally administered to the animals. Blood samples were collected for biochemical assays. Intestinal tissues were excised for histopathologic and immunohistochemical processing.RESULTS: Malondialdehyde (MDA) levels were increased, and catalase (CAT) and glutathione (GSH) levels were decreased in the IR group compared to the sham group. After GA treatment, MDA levels decreased and CAT and GSH levels increased in the GA-treated group compared to the IR group. In the sham group, normal intestinal histology was observed. In the IR group, the villi structures were completely degenerated. In the IR+GA group, histology was improved after GA treatment. In the sham group, the Caspase-3 reaction was generally negative in the epithelium and glands. In the IR group, the Caspase-3 reaction increased in apoptotic bodies and inflammatory cells. The Caspase-3 reaction was negative in goblet cells and the epithelium. A moderate Caspase-3 reaction was observed in the IR+GA group. The Beclin-1 reaction was negative in epithelial cells and goblet cells in villi in the sham group. In the IR group, the Beclin-1 reaction was positive in the degenerated villi. An intense Beclin-1 reaction was also observed in some inflammatory cells. After GA treatment, the Beclin-1 reaction was positive in a few cells. In general, moderate Beclin-1 positivity was observed.CONCLUSIONS: GA, with its antioxidative effect, inhibited the apoptotic pathway (Caspase-3) through Beclin-1 regulation.

read more

10:41

Gallic acid restores the sulfonamide sensitivity of multidrug-resistant Streptococcus suis. GreenMedInfo

PMID:  J Agric Food Chem. 2023 May 10 ;71(18):6894-6907. Epub 2023 May 1. PMID: 37125728 Abstract Title:  Gallic Acid Restores the Sulfonamide Sensitivity of Multidrug-Resistantvia Polypharmaceology Mechanism. Abstract:  Due to the large amount of antibiotics used for human therapy, agriculture, and even aquaculture, the emergence of multidrug-resistant() led to serious public health threats. Antibiotic-assisted strategies have emerged as a promising approach to alleviate this crisis. Here, the polyphenolic compound gallic acid was found to enhance sulfonamides against multidrug-resistant. Mechanistic analysis revealed that gallic acid effectively disrupts the integrity and function of the cytoplasmic membrane by dissipating the proton motive force of bacteria. Moreover, we found that gallic acid regulates the expression of dihydrofolate reductase, which in turn inhibits tetrahydrofolate synthesis. As a result of polypharmacology, gallic acid can fully restore sulfadiazine sodium activity in the animal infection model without any drug resistances. Our findings provide an insightful view into the threats of antibiotic resistance. It could become a promising strategy to resolve this crisis.

read more

10:26

Anti-inflammatory and antioxidative effects of gallic acid on experimental dry eye. GreenMedInfo

PMID:  Eye Vis (Lond). 2023 May 1 ;10(1):17. Epub 2023 May 1. PMID: 37122017 Abstract Title:  Anti-inflammatory and antioxidative effects of gallic acid on experimental dry eye: in vitro and in vivo studies. Abstract:  BACKGROUND: To investigate the anti-inflammatory and antioxidative effects of gallic acid (GA) on human corneal epithelial cells (HCECs) and RAW264.7 macrophages as well as its therapeutic effects in an experimental dry eye (EDE) mouse model.METHODS: A cell counting kit-8 (CCK-8) assay was used to test the cytotoxicity of GA. The effect of GA on cell migration was evaluated using a scratch wound healing assay. The anti-inflammatory and antioxidative effects of GA in vitro were tested using a hypertonic model (HCECs) and an inflammatory model (RAW264.7 cells). The in vivo biocompatibility of GA was detected by irritation tests in rabbits, whereas the preventive and therapeutic effect of GA in vivo was evaluated using a mouse model of EDE.RESULTS: In the range of 0-100 M, GA showed no cytotoxicity in RAW264.7 cells or HCECs and did not delay the HCECs monolayer wound healing within 24 h. Ocular tolerance to GA in the in vivo irritation test was good after seven days. In terms of antioxidative activity, GA significantly reduced the intracellular reactive oxygen species (ROS) in lipopolysaccharide (LPS) activated RAW264.7 macrophages and HCECs exposed to hyperosmotic stress. Furthermore, after pre-treatment with GA, the expression levels of nuclear factor E2-related factor 2 (Nrf2), heme oxygenase-1 (HO-1), and NADPH quinone oxidoreductase-1 (NQO-1) were significantly upregulated in RAW264.7 macrophages. GA also exhibits excellent anti-inflammatory properties. This is mainly demonstrated by the ability of GA to effectively downregulate the nuclear transcription factor-B (NF-B) pathway in LPS-activated RAW264.7 macrophages and to reduce inflammatory factors, such as nitric oxide (NO), interleukin 6 (IL-6), and tumor necrosis factor alpha (TNF-). In vivo efficacy testing results in a mouse model of EDE showed that GA can effectively prevent and inhibit the apoptosis of corneal epithelial cells (CECs), reduce inflammatory factors in the cornea and conjunctiva as well as protect goblet cells.CONCLUSION: In vitro and in vivo results indicate that GA possesses potent anti-inflammatory and antioxidative properties with no apparent cytotoxicity within the range of 0-100 M. It is a promising eye drop formulation for the effective prevention and treatment of dry eye disease (DED).

read more

10:09

Antibiofilm effects of punicalagin against Staphylococcus aureus in vitro. GreenMedInfo

PMID:  Front Microbiol. 2023 ;14:1175912. Epub 2023 Apr 14. PMID: 37125156 Abstract Title:  Antibiofilm effects of punicalagin against. Abstract:  is a common foodborne pathogen which can form biofilms to help them resist to antimicrobials. It brings great harm to human health. Punicalagin has good antimicrobial activities against, but its effect on biofilm formation has not been clearly illustrated. The aim of this study was to explore the antibiofilm effects of punicalagin against. Results showed that punicalagin did not significantly interfere with the growth ofat the concentrations of 1/64 MIC to 1/16 MIC. The biomass and metabolic activity of biofilms were significantly reduced when exposed to sub-inhibitory concentrations of punicalagin. The number of viable cells in the biofilms was also decreased after punicalagin treatment. Scanning electron microscopy and confocal laser scanning microscopy images confirmed that punicalagin damaged the structure of biofilms. The antibiofilm mechanism was partly due to the modification of the cell surface which led to the reduction of cell surface hydrophobicity. These findings suggest that punicalagin has the potential to be developed as an alternative to controlbiofilms.

read more

10:05

Bavachinin protects the liver in NAFLD by promoting regeneration. GreenMedInfo

PMID:  J Adv Res. 2023 Feb 16. Epub 2023 Feb 16. PMID: 36801384 Abstract Title:  Bavachinin protects the liver in NAFLD by promoting regeneration via targeting PCNA. Abstract:  INTRODUCTION: Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) is the most common liver disease all over the world, and no drug is approved for the treatment of NAFLD. Bavachinin (BVC) is proven to possess liver-protecting effect against NAFLD, but its mechanism is still blurry.OBJECTIVES: With the use of Click Chemistry-Activity-Based Protein Profiling (CC-ABPP) technology, this study aims to identify the target of BVC, and investigate the mechanism by which BVC exerts its liver-protecting effect.METHODS: The high fat diet induced hamster NAFLD model is introduced to investigate BVC's lipid-lowering and liver-protecting effects. Then, a small molecular probe ofBVC is designed and synthesized based on theCC-ABPP technology, and BVC's target is fished out. A series of experiments are performed to identify the target, including competitive inhibition assay, surface-plasmon resonance (SPR), cellular thermal shift assay (CETSA), drug affinity responsive target stability (DARTS) assay, and co-immunoprecipitation (Co-IP). Afterward, the pro-regeneration effects of BVC are validated in vitro and in vivo through flow cytometry, immunofluorescence, and the terminal deoxynucleotidyl transferase-mediated dUTP nick-end labeling (TUNEL).RESULT: In the hamster NAFLD model, BVC shows lipid-lowing effect and improvement on the histology. PCNA is identified as the target of BVC with the method mentioned above, and BVC facilitates the interaction between PCNA and DNA polymerase delta. BVC promotes HepG2 cells proliferation which is inhibited by T2AA, an inhibitor suppresses the interaction between PCNA and DNA polymerase delta. In NAFLD hamsters, BVC enhances PCNA expression and liver regeneration, reduces hepatocyte apoptosis.CONCLUSION: This study suggests that, besides the anti-lipemic effect, BVC binds to the pocket of PCNA facilitating its interaction with DNA polymerase delta and pro-regeneration effect, thereby exerts the protective effect against HFD induced liver injury.

read more

Save the Bees Articles

More than 130 fruits, vegetables and nuts,1 and 35% of the worlds crops depend on pollinators.2 The USDA estimates thats 1 out of every 3 bites of food that go into your mouth, and likely more than that if you eat a whole food diet.

One of the primary pollinators is honeybees, which have suffered drastic population losses in the past decade and last year was no different.3 Farmers are unable to grow certain crops, such as blueberries, almonds, apples and other fruits, without bees. The loss of wild bees has meant farmers must rely on rented bees from commercial beekeepers who move their hives from one location to the next to help farmers pollinate their crops.4

Hail Bennett of Bennett Orchards in Frankford, Delaware, is one such farmer who rents bees.5 He has millions of flowers across 6 acres of blueberries, and "each flower has to be visited six to eight times by a honeybee in order to be fully pollinated," he told NPR. "It's pretty amazing how much work the bees have to do."

Most crops benefit from a variety of pollinators, so farmers are encouraged to nurture those that live around the farm. However, as is demonstrated by the rapidly declining population of bees, relying on one pollinator is a financially and environmentally risky business.

Renting honeybees for pollination may be insurance against crop failure, but it is only a stopgap process. It is essential that native pollinators are nurtured, and resilience is built in those populations to ensure a stable food supply, and that includes honeybees.

48% of Bee Colonies Lost in the Year Ending April 1, 2023

Information from a survey by the University of Maryland and Auburn University found that 48% of the honeybee colonies were lost from April 2022 to April 2023.6 The survey also found that in the summer of 2022, an estimated 24.9% of honeybee colonies managed in the U.S. were lost.7 However, the summer loss rate was only slightly higher than the previous 12 years of colony losses.

It was the rising 2022 to 2023 winter losses that were the second highest loss since experts began tracking honeybee colony losses. Commercial beekeepers rank an acceptable winter loss rate as 21.3%, yet the losses during the winter of 2022 to 2023 were an estimated 37.4%.

Over the year from April 1, 2022, to April 1, 2023, it's estimated 48.2% of the managed honeybee colonie...

Billionaire Stands to Make Millions From Addiction Treatment Articles

Editor's Note: This article is a reprint. It was originally published September 26, 2018.

An estimated 202,600 Americans died from opioid overdoses between 2002 and 2015,1 and drug overdoses are now the leading cause of death among Americans under the age of 50.2 Chronic opioid use also accounted for 20% of the increase in male unemployment between 1999 and 20153 and, remarkably, 74% of farmers report being addicted to opioids, or know someone who is.4

Aside from the staggering death toll, addiction to narcotic pain relievers also places an enormous economic burden on society, costing the U.S. an estimated $504 billion each year (2.8% of gross domestic product), according to a November 2017 White House report.5,6

Opioid Epidemic Is No Random Fluke

Adding insult to injury, evidence suggests opioid makers are directly responsible. They knew exactly what they were doing when they claimed opioids which are chemically very similar to heroin have an exceptionally low addiction rate when taken for pain.

In fact, the massive increase in opioid sales and subsequent addiction rates have been traced back to an orchestrated marketing plan aimed at misinforming doctors about the drug's addictive potential, and it is this false advertising campaign that seeded the current opioid epidemic an epidemic so great it has even lowered the national life expectancy.

Purdue Pharma, owned by the Sackler family, was one of the most successful in this regard, driving sales of OxyContin up from $48 million in 1996 to $1.5 billion in 2002.7

Studies now show addiction affects about 26% of those using opioids for chronic non-cancer pain, and 1 in 550 patients on opioid therapy dies from opioid-related causes within 2.5 years of their first prescription.8

Meanwhile, Purdue's sales representatives were extensively coached on how to downplay the drug's addictive potential, claiming addiction was occurring in less than 1% of patients being treated for pain.

Evidence also shows Sackler family members were intimately involved with the marketing machi...

Study: 74% of Post-Jab Deaths Caused by the Shot Articles

July 5, 2023, Dr. Peter McCullough, Dr. Harvey Risch, Dr. Roger Hodkinson, an expert clinical pathologist, and several other colleagues published a systematic review of autopsy findings in people who died after receiving a COVID shot on The Lancet journals preprint server.1

Disturbingly, but not surprisingly, they concluded that 62.5% to 73.9% of post-jab deaths were likely caused by the injection. Previous autopsy reviews have also concluded that the mRNA COVID jabs are a causative factor in sudden cardiac deaths.2

Nearly Three-Quarters of Post-Jab Deaths Caused by the Shot

As explained by the authors:3

The aim of this systematic review is to investigate possible causal links between COVID-19 vaccine administration and death using autopsies and post-mortem analysis ... We searched for all published autopsy and necropsy reports relating to COVID-19 vaccination up until May 18th, 2023.

We initially identified 678 studies and, after screening for our inclusion criteria, included 44 papers that contained 325 autopsy cases and one necropsy case. Three physicians independently reviewed all deaths and determined whether COVID-19 vaccination was the direct cause or contributed significantly to death.

The most implicated organ system in COVID-19 vaccine-associated death was the cardiovascular system (53%), followed by the hematological system (17%), the respiratory system (8%), and multiple organ systems (7%). Three or more organ systems were affected in 21 cases.

The mean time from vaccination to death was 14.3 days. Most deaths occurred within a week from last vaccine administration. A total of 240 deaths (73.9%) were independently adjudicated as directly due to or significantly contributed to by COVID-19 vaccination ...

Among adjudicators, there was complete independent agreement (all three physicians) of vaccination causing or contributing to death in 203 cases (62.5%). The one necropsy case was judged to be linked to vaccination with complete agreement ...

The consistency seen among cases in this review with known COVID-19 vaccine adverse events, their mechanisms, and related excess death, coupled with autopsy confirmation and physician-led death adjudication, suggests there is a high likelihood of a causal link between COVID-19 vaccines and death in most cases.

The Lancet Censors Pa...

09:51

Acupuncture can ameliorate depressive-like behaviours by promoting the recovery of neural plasticity functions. GreenMedInfo

PMID:  Neural Plast. 2023 ;2023:1474841. Epub 2023 May 2. PMID: 37179843 Abstract Title:  Acupuncture Alleviates CUMS-Induced Depression-Like Behaviors by Restoring Prefrontal Cortex Neuroplasticity. Abstract:  PURPOSE: To explore the therapeutic efficiency of acupuncture and the related molecular mechanism of neural plasticity in depression.METHODS: Chronic unpredictable mild stress- (CUMS-) induced rats were established for the depression animal model. There were a total of four rat groups, including the control group, the CUMS group, the CUMS+acupuncture group, and the CUMS+fluoxetine group. The acupuncture group and the fluoxetine group were given a 3-week treatment after the modeling intervention. The researcher performed the open-field, elevated plus maze, and sucrose preference tests to evaluate depressive behaviors. The number of nerve cells, dendrites' length, and the prefrontal cortex's spine density were detected using Golgi staining. The prefrontal cortex expression, such as BDNF, PSD95, SYN, and PKMZ protein, was detected using the western blot and RT-PCR.RESULTS: Acupuncture could alleviate depressive-like behaviors and promote the recovery of the neural plasticity functions in the prefrontal cortex, showing the increasing cell numbers, prolonging the length of the dendrites, and enhancing the spine density. The neural plasticity-related proteins in the prefrontal cortex, including BDNF, PSD95, SYN, and PKMZ, were all downregulated in the CUMS-induced group; however, these effects could be partly reversed after being treated by acupuncture and fluoxetine (

read more

09:37

acupuncture improved the health-related quality of life in patients receiving maintenance hemodialysis. GreenMedInfo

PMID:  Healthcare (Basel). 2023 May 8 ;11(9). Epub 2023 May 8. PMID: 37174896 Abstract Title:  Effectiveness of Acupuncture on Health-Related Quality of Life in Patients Receiving Maintenance Hemodialysis. Abstract:  Patients with kidney failure (KF) receiving maintenance hemodialysis (HD) experience numerous symptoms that impair their health-related quality of life (HRQOL) and contribute to high mortality rates. Acupuncture is often used for symptom enhancement and HRQOL. This blinded, randomized, controlled patient-assessor trial evaluated the effectiveness of acupuncture compared with sham acupuncture on patients' HRQOL receiving maintenance HD as a secondary analysis. Seventy-two participants were randomly assigned to verum acupuncture (VA), sham acupuncture (SA), or waiting-list (WL) groups. The outcome was an improvement in HRQOL, assessed using the (KDQOL-SFv1.3) at baseline, after treatment, and at 12-week follow-up. Non-parametric tests were used for statistical analysis. Of the 72 randomized patients, 67 were included in the complete analysis set. As for the changes between baseline and after treatment, the VA group showed significantly increased scores on most of the KDQOL-SFv1.3 scales compared to SA or WL groups (0.05). Compared to the sham treatment, acupuncture improved the HRQOL in patients receiving maintenance HD after treatment but not at follow-up.

read more

09:28

Veterans on Patrol has Rescued Thousands of Children Sexually Trafficked in the U.S. Appeals for More Volunteers Medical Kidnap

by Brian Shilhavy

I have written 2 articles on the blockbuster movie Sound of Freedom, a movie that has already grossed over $85 million in less than two weeks since its release on the big screen, and these articles have received tens of thousands of readers in the past few days, even though the movie does not expose child sex trafficking in the U.S., does not name the names of those funding this child sex trafficking network, and has no call to action to stop it. See:

Sound of Freedom Film Falls Short of Revealing Who are the Ones Trafficking Children and How to Stop It

Sound of Freedom Movie Allegedly Funded by Billionaire Philanthropists with Ties to Human Trafficking

By way of contrast, I have exposed where much of the child sex trafficking in the U.S. is happening, with a recently published story of a man who pleaded guilty to sexually abusing young children through the foster care system, as well as an update on the ongoing lawsuits against Jeffrey Epsteins child sex trafficking network, which DOES name names, and these two articles have received far fewer views than the Sound of Freedom film articles. See:

New Mexico Foster Parent Confesses Guilt of Sexually Abusing Children for Years but Does No Jail Time, 8-Year-Old Girl Awarded $485 Million

09:28

Veterans on Patrol has Rescued Thousands of Children Sexually Trafficked in the U.S. Appeals for More Volunteers Vaccine Impact

by Brian Shilhavy

I have written 2 articles on the blockbuster movie Sound of Freedom, a movie that has already grossed over $85 million in less than two weeks since its release on the big screen, and these articles have received tens of thousands of readers in the past few days, even though the movie does not expose child sex trafficking in the U.S., does not name the names of those funding this child sex trafficking network, and has no call to action to stop it. See:

Sound of Freedom Film Falls Short of Revealing Who are the Ones Trafficking Children and How to Stop It

Sound of Freedom Movie Allegedly Funded by Billionaire Philanthropists with Ties to Human Trafficking

By way of contrast, I have exposed where much of the child sex trafficking in the U.S. is happening, with a recently published story of a man who pleaded guilty to sexually abusing young children through the foster care system, as well as an update on the ongoing lawsuits against Jeffrey Epsteins child sex trafficking network, which DOES name names, and these two articles have received far fewer views than the Sound of Freedom film articles. See:

New Mexico Foster Parent Confesses Guilt of Sexually Abusing Children for Years but Does No Jail Time, 8-Year-Old Girl Awarded $485 Million

09:00

On Your Health-Jul 17 2023 Tom Haviland Dr. Tenpenny

07-17-2023 Listen to audio of interview here.   Click on the video below to watch this episode:   https://drtenpenny.b-cdn.net/2023/07-17-23-OYH.mp4 Tom Haviland, a retired U.S. Air Force Major, Defense Contractor, and []

08:33

Veterans on Patrol has Rescued Thousands of Children Sexually Trafficked in the U.S. Appeals for More Volunteers Health Impact News

by Brian Shilhavy

08:12

The Lost Patients of Washingtons Abandoned Psychiatric Hospital Mad In America

From The Seattle Times: Lillian Massie pinches the floppy brim of her hat between her fingers and stares at the camera. At 24 years old, Lillian is a mother to two children. Shes slim, with wavy hair cropped at the ears and is once again pregnant or has possibly just given birth to a third child. She stands on what appears to be a train platform, a belt cinched above her belly. Sun washes over her face. Its 1925, and this is the last known photograph ever taken of her.

For the next nine years until her death, Lillian will be confined at Northern State Hospital, the now-shuttered Washington mental institution folded into a lush valley enclosed by dark mountain peaks an hours drive north of Seattle.

. . . Northern State Hospital took in tens of thousands of people like Lillian, most from the Seattle area. Today, theres scant evidence these patients ever existed. But as the 50-year anniversary of Northern States closure approaches this summer, family members and neighbors of the abandoned institution are fighting to recover them.

. . . Much of the country is now considering a push for more psychiatric care to get people off the street, such as Californias and New York Citys plans to expand involuntary treatment. Some fed up with the current mental health system look to places like Northern State with nostalgia. Many others see institutions as prisons for people with mental illnesses.

Between the two narratives are missing graves and ghost stories.

Article

Back to Around the Web

The post The Lost Patients of Washingtons Abandoned Psychiatric Hospital appeared first on...

08:09

Effectiveness of Acupuncture for relieving chemotherapy-induced bone marrow suppression. GreenMedInfo

PMID:  J Integr Complement Med. 2023 May 10. Epub 2023 May 10. PMID: 37163212 Abstract Title:  Effectiveness of Acupuncture for Relieving Chemotherapy-Induced Bone Marrow Suppression: A Systematic Review with a Meta-analysis and Trial Sequential Analysis. Abstract:  Bone marrow suppression is the most common side effect of chemotherapy that may lead to discontinuation for treatment pertaining to patients during the therapy course. Acupuncture may relieve bone marrow suppression with regulation hematopoietic function during chemotherapy. The purpose of this study is to evaluate the effectiveness of acupuncture in relieving chemotherapy-induced bone marrow suppression and determine the effects of acupuncture on bone marrow function.PubMed, Embase, Cochrane Library, Medline OVID, CINAHL Plus, Web of Science, and Chinese articles in the Airiti Library and China National Knowledge Infrastructure databases were searched up to February 2023. Publications in both English and Chinese were eligible for inclusion without any limitations on the publication date. Only randomized controlled trials investigating the impact of acupuncture on chemotherapy-induced bone marrow suppression were considered. In addition, a trial sequential analysis was performed to assess the adequacy of the current sample size.A total of 25 studies met the inclusion criteria. Acupuncture was found to increase the levels of hematopoietic cytokine granulocyte colony-stimulating factor (G-CSF) (Hedges'=0.79,

read more

07:31

Acupuncture could effectively improve tobacco withdrawal syndrome. GreenMedInfo

PMID:  Zhongguo Zhen Jiu. 2023 May 12 ;43(5):575-83. PMID: 37161812 Abstract Title:  [Acupuncture for treatment of tobacco withdrawal syndrome: systematic review and Meta-analysis]. Abstract:  OBJECTIVE: To systematically review the efficacy of acupuncture for the treatment of tobacco withdrawal syndrome.METHODS: The randomized controlled trials (RCTs) regarding acupuncture for treatment of tobacco withdrawal syndrome were searched in CNKI, Wanfang, VIP, SinoMed, PubMed, Cochrane, Medline and EMbase databases. The search period was from January 1st of 2011 to December 31st of 2021. After data extraction and bias risk assessment of the included literature, the Meta-analysis was performed using RevMan5.4.1 software.RESULTS: Totally 23 RCTs were included, including 2 120 patients. The Meta-analysis results showed that compared with medication, acupuncture showed no significant difference at improving Fagerstrm test for nicotine dependence (FTND) score (=0.16, 95%: -0.08, 0.41), heaviness of smoking index (HSI) score (=0.11, 95%: -0.13, 0.36), Minnesota nicotine withdrawal scale (MNWS) score (=0.12, 95%: -0.11, 1.35), questionnaire of smoking urges (QSU) score (=-0.30, 95%: -2.78, 2.18), Hamilton depression scale (HAMD) score (=0.76, 95%: -1.54, 3.06), abstinence rate (=0.95, 95%: 0.82, 1.10) and effective rate (=1.01, 95%: 0.95, 1.07). Acupuncture was superior to sham acupuncture in reducing MNWS score (=-4.88, 95%: -5.21, -4.55,

read more

07:21

Eriodictyol regulated ferroptosis, mitochondrial dysfunction and cell viability via Nrf2/HO-1/NQO1 signaling pathway in ovarian cancer. GreenMedInfo

PMID:  J Biochem Mol Toxicol. 2023 Apr 5:e23368. Epub 2023 Apr 5. PMID: 37020356 Abstract Title:  Eriodictyol regulated ferroptosis, mitochondrial dysfunction, and cell viability via Nrf2/HO-1/NQO1 signaling pathway in ovarian cancer cells. Abstract:  This study aimed to investigate the antitumor effect and the underlying molecular mechanism of eriodictyol on ovarian cancer cells. CaoV3 and A2780 were exposed to eriodictyol at different concentrations of 0-800M. Cell apoptosis and viability were determined by TdT-mediated dUTP Nick-End Labeling (TUNEL) assay and Cell Counting Kit-8 (CCK-8) assay, respectively. Mitochondrial membrane potential was evaluated by flow cytometers with a JC-1 detection kit. Fecontent was evaluated using an iron assay kit. The section of tumor tissues was observed using hematoxylin-eosin (H&E) staining and nuclear factor erythroid 2-related factor 2 (Nrf2) expression was detected by immunohistochemistry (IHC) staining. Eriodictyol suppressed cell viability and induced cell apoptosis of CaoV3 and A2780 cells. Half maximal inhibitory concentration (IC) value of CaoV3 at 24 and 48h was (229.745.13)M and (38.444.68)M, and ICvalue of A2780 at 24 and 48h was (248.322.54)M and (64.283.19)M. Fecontent and reactive oxygen species production were increased and protein levels of SLC7A11 and GPX4 were decreased by eriodictyol. Besides, eriodictyol reduced the ratio of JC-1 fluorescence ratio, glutathione and malondialdehyde contents but elevated Cytochrome C level. Nrf2 phosphorylation were obviously downregulated by eriodictyol. Finally, eriodictyol suppressed tumor growth, aggravated mitochondrial dysfunction and downregulated Nrf2 expression in tumor tissue in mice. Eriodictyol regulated ferroptosis, mitochondrial dysfunction and cell viability via Nrf2/HO-1/NQO1 signaling pathway in ovarian cancer.

read more

06:40

Get the flu vaccine for the 2023-24 flu season Skeptical Raptor

All the information you need about the flu vaccine for the 2023-24 flu season. The vaccine saves lives, and that's the most important point.

Skeptical Raptor

06:35

Fact Check: No, RFK, Jr. Did Not Say COVID Was an Ethnically Targeted Bioweapon that Spared Jews GreenMedInfo

The internet is ablaze with a story that claims RFK, Jr. said COVID was an ethnically targeted bioweapon that were engineered to spare Jews and Chinese people, but is it true?

06:33

Fact Check: No, RFK, Jr. Did Not Say COVID Was an Ethnically Targeted Bioweapon that Spared Jews GreenMedInfo

Originally published on www.naturalnews.com by Mike Adams

The internet is ablaze with a story that claims RFK, Jr. said COVID was an ethnically targeted bioweapon that were engineered to spare Jews and Chinese people. This headline from the NY Post captures the meme that's going wild: "RFK Jr. says COVID was 'ethnically targeted' to spare Jews."

read more

05:23

Eriodictyol: a review of its pharmacological activities and molecular mechanisms related to ischemic stroke. GreenMedInfo

PMID:  Food Funct. 2023 Feb 21 ;14(4):1851-1868. Epub 2023 Feb 21. PMID: 36757280 Abstract Title:  Eriodictyol: a review of its pharmacological activities and molecular mechanisms related to ischemic stroke. Abstract:  Ischemic stroke (IS) is characterized by a prominent mortality and disability rate, which has increased the burden on the global economy to a certain extent. Meanwhile, patients benefit little from the limited clinical strategies of intravenous alteplase and thrombectomy due to the limited therapeutic window. Given this, it is urgent to study new therapeutic methods to intervene in these patients. Eriodyctiol (ERD) is a major natural flavonoid, which widely exists in fruits, vegetables, and medicinal herbs, and has various pharmacological properties. It has been reported that ERD can maintain homeostasis in organisms by exerting neuroprotective and vascular protective effects. Therefore, more and more studies have focused on the pharmacological activity and mechanism of ERD in IS. This paper provides an overview of the plant sources, phytochemical properties, pharmacokinetics, and pathogenesis, as well as the pharmacological effects and mechanisms of ERD in IS. To date, preclinical studies on ERD in diverse cell lines and animal models have established the idea of ERD as a feasible agent capable of specifically ameliorating IS. The molecular mechanisms of ERD to prevent or reduce IS are mainly based on the inhibition of inflammation, oxidative stress, autophagy and apoptosis. Nevertheless, the mechanism of ERD against IS is flawed and needs more exploration by the research community. Moreover, well-designed clinical trials are needed to increase the scientific validity of the beneficial effects of ERD against IS.

read more

05:02

Effects of isosakuranetin on cerebral infarction and blood brain barrier damage from cerebral ischemia/reperfusion injury. GreenMedInfo

PMID:  J Biomol Struct Dyn. 2023 Apr 28:1-8. Epub 2023 Apr 28. PMID: 37114509 Abstract Title:  Effects of isosakuranetin on cerebral infarction and blood brain barrier damage from cerebral ischemia/reperfusion injury in a rat model. Abstract:  This study investigated the effects of isosakuranetin (5,7-dihydroxy-4'-methoxyflavanone) on cerebral infarction and blood brain barrier (BBB) damage in cerebral ischemia and reperfusion (I/R) in a rat model. The right middle cerebral artery was occluded for 2h followed by reperfusion. The experimental rats were divided into five groups: a sham, or control group; vehicle group; and 5mg/kg, 10mg/kg, and 20mg/kg bodyweight isosakuranetin-treated I/R groups. After 24h of reperfusion, the rats were tested using a six-point neurological function score. The percentage of cerebral infarction was evaluated using 2,3,5-triphenyltetrazolium chloride (TTC) staining. BBB leakage was determined by Evan Blue injection assay and brain morphology changes were observed under light microscopy following staining with hematoxylin and eosin (H&E). The results of neurological function score revealed that isosakuranetin reduced the severity of neurological damage. A dose of 10 and 20mg/kg bodyweight of isosakuranetin significantly decreased the infarct volume. All three doses of isosakuranetin significantly decreased Evan Blue leakage. The penumbra area of the I/R brains revealed the characteristics of apoptotic cell death. Therefore, isosakuranetin-treated I/R attenuated the brain damage from cerebral I/R injury and further investigation of the mechanisms warrant further investigation to assist in the development of protective strategies against cerebral I/R injury in clinical trials.Communicated by Ramaswamy H. Sarma.

read more

04:54

Computational approaches to define poncirin from Magnolia champaka leaves as a novel multi-target inhibitor of SARS-CoV-2. GreenMedInfo

PMID:  J Biomol Struct Dyn. 2023 Jan 25:1-20. Epub 2023 Jan 25. PMID: 36695109 Abstract Title:  Computational approaches to define poncirin fromleaves as a novel multi-target inhibitor of SARS-CoV-2. Abstract:  Phytochemical-based drug discovery against the severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus-2 (SARS-CoV-2) has been the focus of the current scenario. In this context, we aimed to perform the phytochemical profiling of Magnolia champaka, an evergreen tree from thefamily, in order to perform a virtual screening of its phytoconstituents against different biological targets of SARS-CoV-2. The phytochemicals identified from the ethanol extract ofleaves using liquid chromatography-mass spectroscopy (LC-MS) technique were screened against SARS-CoV-2 spike glycoprotein (PDB ID: 6M0J), main protease/Mpro (PDB ID: 6LU7), and papain-like protease/PLpro (PDB ID: 7CMD) through computational tools. The experimentation design included molecular docking simulation, molecular dynamics simulation, and binding free energy calculations. Through molecular docking simulation, we identified poncirin as a common potential inhibitor of all the above-mentioned target proteins. In addition, molecular dynamics simulations, binding free energy calculations, and PCA analysis also supported the outcomes of the virtual screening. By the virtue of all theresults obtained, poncirin could be taken for in vitro andstudies in near future.Communicated by Ramaswamy H. Sarma.

read more

04:53

Neurodiversity in a World of Disability Age of Autism The Rebel Alliance!

Cui bono
By Anne Dachel

I recently posted 15 stories on Loss of Brain Trust from over three days, July 10th to 12th, and all were about places becoming sensory friendly and neurodiverse.

They were cheery pieces from the U.S., Ireland, the U.K., about a restaurant, a library, a water park, a hospital, a summer camp, a store and lots of other places, ALL providing accommodations for autism and the other neurological conditions kids are living with today. Everyone was extremely happy about it.

Its clear; autism is no longer seen as a disability. Kids with autism are just differently-abled and we need to provide for them. Then everything will be fine.

Thats the message

All I could think, seeing these stories, was that there is a master plan here.

IMAGINE that you produced a medical product that was universally accepted as beneficial AND essential, but this product also had serious, pervasive side effects, including one that was highly visible.

WHAT would you do, especially if you didnt want there to be widespread recognition of the damage?

HOW would you continue marketing the product and keep the profits coming while downplaying the injury?

---------------

FIRST OF ALL, youd get total control of the narrative.

You would ingrain the benefits of this product into the general population: It saves lives and is absolutely safe.

ANYONE disparaging your product would be attacked as dangerous. There must be no dissent.

SECOND, you would have to disprove the damage that resulted from your product. That could be done by using the media to promote phony studies testifying to product safety. The media could also be helpful in discrediting any naysayers.

THIRD, you would have to rationalize product side effects as something else. You could claim the injuries were nothing new, professionals were simply better at noticing them.

FOURTH, you would downplay the damage as merely mild differences from typical people. You could do this by highlighting the resulting condition as something to celebrate. Perhaps even have a whole month dedicated to the damage. An easily recognized emblem could make...

04:42

Poncirin ameliorates cardiac ischemia-reperfusion injury. GreenMedInfo

PMID:  Eur J Pharmacol. 2022 Feb 15 ;917:174759. Epub 2022 Jan 12. PMID: 35032487 Abstract Title:  Poncirin ameliorates cardiac ischemia-reperfusion injury by activating PI3K/AKT/PGC-1signaling. Abstract:  Poncirin, a flavonoid glycoside derivative extracted from the fruits of Poncirus trifoliata (trifoliate orange or Chinese bitter orange), has a variety of documented bioactivities, including anti-tumor, anti-inflammatory, and antioxidant effects. Oxidative stress is a major underlying factor in the pathogenesis of cardiac ischemia-reperfusion (I/R) injury. Therefore, we investigated the protective efficacy of poncirin on primary cardiomyocytes subjected to anoxia-reoxygenation (A/R) injury in vitro, and on rat hearts subjected to ischemia-reperfusion (I/R) injury in vivo. Poncirin pretreatment enhanced cardiomyocyte survival, inhibited A/R-induced oxidative stress by upregulating cellular antioxidant capacity, suppressed mitochondrial depolarization, and ultimately inhibited apoptosis. Similarly, systemic poncirin treatment significantly reduced cardiomyocyte apoptosis and infarct size in rat hearts. In addition, activity of the PI3K/AKT/PGC-1pathway was significantly increased by poncirin pretreatment in both A/R and I/R injury models, while PI3K and PGC-1inhibitors abolished all poncirin related effects, suggesting that this pathway is essential for the cardioprotective effects of poncirin. Pretreatment with the PGC-1inhibitor reversed effects of poncirin without affecting p-AKT expression, indicating that PGC-1is downstream of AKT. In conclusion, both in vitro and in vivo studies suggested that poncirin alleviates cardiac ischemia-reperfusion injury by mitigating oxidative stress, which is dependent on activation of the PI3K/AKT/PGC-1signaling pathway.

read more

03:44

Families join fluoride lawsuit against city of Buffalo Fluoride Action Network

BUFFALO, N.Y. Eight families with a total of 26 plaintiffs have now joined a class action lawsuit against the city of Buffalo for removing fluoride from the water in 2015.

One plaintiff, Rahwa Ghirmatzion, has a 10-year-old son who she says is dealing with oral health complications due to a lack of fluoride over the years.

Honestly, it was a very painful response, Ghirmatzion said. I just was like, viscerally emotional. Emotional because when you have a kid as a parent the only thing you want to do is take care of that kid and make sure that they are taken care of in every way.

Fluoridating drinking water became standard across the United States in the 1950s and it is something Buffalo did up until 2015 when the Water Authority said they were undergoing a study and equipment upgrades. However, the fluoride was never added back.

Ghirmatzion said her prime complaint is that the city is alleged to have never told residents, who could have sought supplements from their dentist. A spokesperson for the city says they do not comment on pending litigation, but supplied this statement to Spectrum News 1:

Buffalo Water will submit a permit application, including plans, to the Erie County Department of Health within two weeks. Following a Health Department Review, Buffalo Water expects to begin construction and testing within six weeks. Essential items, such as flow metering equipment, has already been ordered to help ensure timely construction.

A note about the water was included in the citys annual water report, but Ghirmatzion and the families suing the city believe more should have been done to inform residents.

This past winter, when Spectrum News 1 reached out the Water Board, Chairperson Oluwole A. McFoy, P.E. responded in a statement saying:

Buffalo is committed to fluoridation of our drinking water, which is why we have invested over $1 million to study and upgrade our current system. The plan was for the project to be completed several years ago, but like many things, was slowed during the pandemic and is scheduled to...

03:09

Video: Simple Running Suture Demo

For more than a decade, Ive been teaching basic suturing to the preparedness community. Usually, the classes are introductory with discussion and hands-on work on pigs feet in the classic single-suture instrument tie. Once youve gotten that solidly under your belt, and practiced like you should, you might consider saving time by perform a continuous[Read More]

The post Video: Simple Running Suture Demo first appeared on .

03:00

Critical Psychiatry Textbook, Chapter 8: Depression and Mania (Affective Disorders) (Part Twelve) Mad In America

Editors Note: Over the next several months, Mad in Gtzsches book, Critical Psychiatry Textbook. In this blog, he discusses that depression pills increase mortality, and that psychiatry mistakes withdrawal effects for relapse. Each Monday, a new section of the book is published, and all chapters are archived here.

Depression pills increase total mortality substantially

In 2015, I tried to find out how many people are killed by the three major drug groups, depression pills, benzodiazepines and similar drugs, and psychosis pills.7:307 I used the most reliable research I could find and restricted my analyses to patients at least 65 years of age. The estimated number of drug deaths in Denmark (population 5.8 million) based on current usage was 2831 for depression pills, 721 for minor tranquillisers, and 141 for major tranquillisers. I estimated that fluoxetine alone had killed 311,000 people worldwide in the age group 65 and above up to 2004.

Illustration depicting a person with a megaphone running up an increasing red bar graph as if it was stepsThe high number of deaths on depression pills may be surprising. It is partly due to the fact that so many elderly people take them (12% in the age group 65 to 79 and 19% in those at least 80 years old).7:310 A UK cohort study of 60,746 patients older than 65 showed that SSRIs lead to falls more often than if the depression isnt treated, and that the drugs kill 3.6% of patients treated for one year.447 The study was very carefully done, e.g. the patients were their own control in one of the analyses, which is a good way to remove the effect of confounders.

A textbook advised that in the elderly, we should try a depression pill even on a vague suspicion of depression because it can be difficult to d...

02:10

Specific Vaccines and the Diseases They Trigger (with references) The Healthy Home Economist

To access this post, you must be a member of Healthy Home Plus.

If you are already logged in as a member, please refresh the page.

The post Specific Vaccines and the Diseases They Trigger (with references) appeared first on The Healthy Home Economist.

02:06

Common Dry Cleaning Chemical Linked to 500% Increased Risk of Parkinsons Disease Healthy Holistic Living

Used across numerous industries and military applications, TCE is an industrial pollutant and solvent, known for its degreasing properties and utility in spot dry cleaning2. Although the usage of TCE has seen a decline, it remains deeply embedded in various industrial processes. The situation becomes direr when we consider the widespread contamination caused by TCE. It has permeated into half of the most toxic Superfund sites identified by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)2. Moreover, several military bases, including Camp Lejeune, bear the brunt of this contamination. The omnipresence of TCE necessitates a profound understanding of its impact on public health.

In an unsettling revelation that will prompt us to reconsider the choices we make daily, a growing body of scientific research has linked the widely used chemical, trichloroethylene (TCE), to Parkinsons disease[1]. Parkinsons, a degenerative disorder affecting the nervous system, has seen an alarming global upsurge. The connection between this neural condition and TCE, a chemical ubiquitously found in industries such as dry cleaning and metal degreasing, is, indeed, deeply worrying [2].

>>>Exposure to chemicals in our daily life is at an all time high our bodies have reached a tipping point and it shows in the massive increase in chronic disease, cancer and more consider detoxing as part of your daily regiment.

The Pervasive Threat: Trichloroethylene (TCE)

Used across numerous industries and military applications, TCE is an industrial pollutant and solvent, known for its degreasing properties and utility in spot dry cleaning [2]. Although the usage of TCE has seen a decline, it remains deeply embedded in various industrial processes. The situation becomes direr when we consider the...

01:27

*Fat Soluble Synergy* How Vitamins A, D & K2 Work Together to Enhance Effectiveness & Prevent Toxicity The Healthy Home Economist

How the fat-soluble vitamins A, D, and K2 work together to enhance effectiveness and prevent toxicity and why careful supplementation is important to ensure the proper ratios in the diet. Over the last few years the reputations of both vitamin A and vitamin D have received black eyes for their supposed potential toxicity, but this

The post *Fat Soluble Synergy* How Vitamins A, D & K2 Work Together to Enhance Effectiveness & Prevent Toxicity appeared first on The Healthy Home Economist.

Monday, 17 July

23:54

2016 Race Foreshadowed 2024 Hopes Age of Autism The Rebel Alliance!

Trump Kennedy "The science is settled.." is doublespeak for "The checks have cleared."  Once  slated to work together, now opponents in the 2024 Presidential race.

By Anne Dachel

This is the story of how our children ended up being sacrificial lambs on the high altar of corporate profit and greed.

I remember back in 2017 the big news was that President Trump asked Robert Kennedy, Jr. to head a vaccine safety commission. That sounded hopeful to many of us.

Here is an example of how it was reported.

Jan 10, 2017, NBC News: Anti-Vaccine Activist Says Trump Asked Him to Head Commission on Vaccine Safety

VIDEO: A member of the Kennedy political dynasty who favors fringe theories on vaccinations over mainstream medical practices says he would lead a new vaccine safety commission under Donald Trump.

Robert F. Kennedy, Jr. meeting with the President-elect today even as a spokesperson for Trump tells NBC News, Hes exploring the possibility of forming a committee on autism, but adds, No decisions have been made at this time.

KENNEDY: President-elect Trump has some doubts about the current vaccine policy. He has questions about it. He said his opinion doesnt matter, but the science does matter.

NBC: That science [is] already settled with every major medical association in agreement, doctors debunking a study that years ago falsely claimed a link between vaccines and autism.

The American Academy of Pediatrics reiterating today: Vaccines are safe, effective and save lives.

While the President-elect himself has said hes pro-vaccine, hes tweeted repeatedly about what he believes is a link to autism. 

TRUMP: I am totally in favor of vaccines, but I want smaller doses over a longer period of time....

23:20

Community Shares | July 17th 2023 SafeMinds

• The results of a new study published in Pediatrics provide further evidence of a significant co-occurrence of Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and Gender Dysphoria (GD) in pediatric populations. The current study identified significant demographic differences in co-occurrence rates using electronic medical records. The authors reported sex, race, and insurance type, indicating potential disparities in ASD and GD diagnosis and service use. The findings suggest a need for enhanced screening in both ASD and gender clinic settings and as specialized programs and support services for youth with ASD and GD and their families. The study also highlighted the need to address biases and insurance coverage for services associated with these diagnoses to ensure that youth with co-occurring ASD and GD receive the care they need.
  • A recent Department of Education audit has revealed that most states have failed to meet their obligations to serve students with disabilities for multiple years in a row. This year, only 22 states have met the requirements under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act. The remaining states were designated needs assistance, with 22 states and Washington, D.C. earning that label for two or more years in a row. No state qualified for the lesser categories of needs intervention or needs substantial intervention. The U.S. Department of Education must evaluate each states performance in providing special education services annually and assign them to one of four categories: meets the requirements and purposes of IDEA, needs assistance in implementing the requirements of IDEA, needs intervention in implementing the requirements of IDEA, or needs substantial intervention in implementing the requirements of IDEA.
  • According to new international research...

23:10

Lower Birth Weight for Twins Linked to Neurodevelopmental Conditions SafeMinds

Association Discovered in Identical Twins Only, Not in Fraternal Twins

A recent Swedish case-control study discovered that lower birth weight was significantly associated with neurodevelopmental conditions (NDCs), such as autism and intellectual disability (ID), among monozygotic twins. However, the same association was not found in dizygotic twins. Within the monozygotic pairs, the twin with a higher birth weight had fewer symptoms of autism and attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), higher IQ ratings, and lower odds of being diagnosed with autism and ADHD. These findings suggest that as an indicator of fetal growth alterations, lower birth weight is a nonshared environment (NSE) factor for neurodivergent outcomes, including both symptoms or diagnoses of autism, ADHD, and ID. Since this link was observed only among the monozygotic twin pairs, a genetic confounding component of the association, besides the nonshared factor, was also apparent. The authors point out, given the link between low birth weight and future NDCs, it is important to acknowledge birth weight as influential when assessing identical twins neurodevelopment. Additionally, they suggest that it is essential to recognize early identification of factors with identical twins that contribute to fetal growth restriction, such as unequal placental sharing, unbalanced intertwin blood transfusion, or slow intertwin blood transfusion. If these conditions are discovered, fetoscopic laser treatments should be considered to minimize detrimental outcomes. The authors end their study by calling for more research to obtain greater knowledge and understanding of the associations between low birth weight and NDCs....

23:00

This Week with Dave Gentry Dr. Tenpenny

07-17-2023 Listen to interview here. If you prefer to watch rather than listen, click on the video below: https://drtenpenny.b-cdn.net/2023/07-17-23-TW-DaveGentry.mp4 In this interview, Dave Gentry and I discuss political correctness on []

23:00

CDC Reports: More than 1 in 10 Boys Have ID, ASD, or Another Developmental Delay SafeMinds

Among Both Sexes, Ages 3-17, 8.56% Have Been Diagnosed with a Developmental Disability

A new Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) report shows that the percentage of American children who have been diagnosed with a developmental disability has increased, with now more than 1 in 10 boys having an intellectual disability (ID), autism spectrum disorder (ASD), or another developmental delay. Based on data from the National Health Interview Survey compiled between 2019 and 2021 for children ages 3-17, the report found that the rates of ID and ASD did not increase significantly, but parents who have been told that their child had an other developmental delay increased considerably. Other developmental delay includes a range of issues such as cerebral palsy or struggles forming words. This groups rate increased from 5.08% of kids in 2019 to 6.06% in 2021. The report also determined that among both sexes, 8.56% have been diagnosed with any developmental disability. Additionally, the report found 1.65% of children had an intellectual disability, while 3.05% had autism (4.66% boys, 1.5% girls). Rates of developmental disabilities remained significantly lower in girls, and Asian children were the least likely to be diagnosed with any developmental disability. Interestingly, this report did not find Black and Hispanic children more likely to be diagnosed with ASD compared to White children, unlike recent reports

Original Article

Original Report

The post CDC Reports: More than 1 in 10 Boys Have ID, ASD, or Another Developmental Delay appeared first on SafeMinds.

22:53

Journal to retract papers that cost its impact factor and spot in leading index Retraction Watch

A journal that didnt get an impact factor this year after Clarivate, the company behind the closely-watched but controversial metric, identified unusual citations in several articles will retract the offending papers, according to its editor. 

Genetika, a publication of the Serbian Genetics Society, did not receive an updated impact factor in Clarivates 2023 Journal Citation Reports due to citation stacking, a practice in which authors or journals seem to trade citations, also known as citation cartels or citation rings

Specifically, Clarivate identified five papers published in Genetika in 2021 that had been cited by 22 papers published in the journal Bioscience Research in 2022, Snezana Mladenovic Drinic, the editor of Genetika, told Retraction Watch. Clarivate also suppressed Bioscience Research this year, meaning that the journal did not receive a new impact factor either. 

(Jelena Milasin, president of the Serbian Genetics Society, previously told us Genetika leadership had offered to retract 32 suspicious papers published in 2021 and 2022, but Clarivate went ahead and suppressed the journal anyway.) 

Clarivate also removed Genetika from its Web of Science index when it refreshed its Master Journal List on Monday. The company said the journal failed to meet at least one of 24 quality criteria, but would not comment on which. 

Removing a journal from Web of Science, which Clarivate calls delisting, means the company will no longer index its papers, count their citations, or give the title an impact factor. The company does have a pathway for journals to become relisted.&...

17:09

RFK Jr.: A fart-filled argument gives way to an antisemitic conspiracy theory that COVID-19 is an ethnically targeted bioweapon Science-Based Medicine

Last week, RFK Jr. endured hilariously bad press about an NYC press event at which two of his supporters argued over climate change, one with lots of farts. However, the fart jokes soon gave way to darker side of the event, a Q&A in which RFK Jr. shared an antisemitic conspiracy theory claiming that COVID-19 might have been "targeted" against Caucasians and Blacks, while sparing Jews and the Chinese. Antivaxxers leapt to his defense, but one wonders if the"respectable" doctors who "like RFK Jr." have learned their lesson yet.

The post RFK Jr.: A fart-filled argument gives way to an antisemitic conspiracy theory that COVID-19 is an ethnically targeted bioweapon first appeared on Science-Based Medicine.

12:40

Fluoridation Weekly Review #24 Fluoride Action Network

Raising Environmental Justice Concerns  Hispanic/Latino Communities More Likely to Receive Excessive Fluoride in Water

Analyzing an Environmental Protection Agency database from 2006-2011, researchers from Emory University, Columbia University and UC San Francisco have found that Hispanic/Latino communities are more likely to receive water with excessive amounts of fluoride, compared to that received by other communities.

Summarizing their report, they write, We found significant inequalities in community water systems (CWS) fluoride concentrations by county sociodemographic characteristics, including by racial/ ethnic composition, further raising environmental justice concerns for these communities. Compared to other CWSs, those serving Semi-Urban, Hispanic communities and communities in the Southwest were most likely to exceed 700 g/L (current USPHS optimal concentration), 1500 g/L (WHO guidance level), and 4000 g/L (US EPAs MCL). Our finding that higher proportions of Hispanic/Latino residents were associated with higher average county-level CWS fluoride concentrations adds to a growing body of evidence that Hispanic/Latino communities are disproportionately exposed to higher concentrations of regulated inorganic contaminants in public drinking water, including arsenic, uranium, nitrates, chromium, and selenium. For fluoride, this county-level association remained significant even after adjustment for the percent of public water that was manually fluoridated, indicating that naturally occurring fluoride in groundwater sources may be driving higher concentrations for CWSs serving largely Hispanic/Latino communities. In general, inequities in the natural (e.g. hydrogeology, climate), built (e.g. water infrastructure, groundwater reliance), and sociopolitical (e.g. structural racism, social and political vulnerability) environments underlie disparities in public drinking water exposures across the US.

In a sign that the evidence of fluorides neurotoxicity is becoming more widely appreciated in scholarly research, the authors note, Although the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) considers fluoridation of community water systems (CWSs) to be a major public health achievement responsible for reducing dental disease, recent epidemiologic evidence suggests that chronic exposure to population-relevant levels of fluoride may also be associated with adverse child neurodevelopmental outcome...

The Bible Teaches Believers to Manage Their Own Business and to Not be Slaves to the System Just the Opposite of Christian Teaching Vaccine Impact

An Amish Barn Raising in Wisconsin. Most Amish are independent business owners living off the grid in communities that help each other. Image source.

Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to attend to your own business and to work with your hands, just as we told you, so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody. (1 Thessalonians 4:11-12)

by Brian Shilhavy

In the New Testament part of the Bible, Paul wrote 2 letters to the believers living in the Greek city of Thessalonica, and in his first letter he wrote:

Now about brotherly love we do not need to write to you, for you yourselves have been taught by God to love each other. And in fact, you do love all the brothers throughout Macedonia. Yet we urge you, brothers, to do so more and more.

Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to attend to your own business and to work with your hands, just as we told you, so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody. (1 Thessalonians 4:9-12)

Apparently some of the believers there did not take his advice, and so in his second letter to the believers in this Greek city he wrote:

In the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, we command you, brothers, to keep away from every brother who is idle and does not live according to the teaching you received from us. For you yourselves know how you ought to follow our example.

We were not idle when we were with you, nor did we eat anyones food without paying for it. On the contrary, we worked night and day, laboring and toiling so that we would not be a burden to any of you.

We did this, not because we do not have the right to such help, but in order to make ourselves a model for you to follow. For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: If a man will not work, he shall not eat.

We hear that some among you are idle. They are not busy; they are busybodies. Such people we command and urge in the Lord Jesus Christ to settle down and earn the bread they eat. (2 Thessalonians 3:6-12)

What a contrast this teaching is, especially the part about attending to your own business...

The Bible Teaches Believers to Manage Their Own Business and to Not be Slaves to the System Just the Opposite of Christian Teaching Medical Kidnap

An Amish Barn Raising in Wisconsin. Most Amish are independent business owners living off the grid in communities that help each other. Image source.

Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to attend to your own business and to work with your hands, just as we told you, so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody. (1 Thessalonians 4:11-12)

by Brian Shilhavy

In the New Testament part of the Bible, Paul wrote 2 letters to the believers living in the Greek city of Thessalonica, and in his first letter he wrote:

Now about brotherly love we do not need to write to you, for you yourselves have been taught by God to love each other. And in fact, you do love all the brothers throughout Macedonia. Yet we urge you, brothers, to do so more and more.

Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to attend to your own business and to work with your hands, just as we told you, so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody. (1 Thessalonians 4:9-12)

Apparently some of the believers there did not take his advice, and so in his second letter to the believers in this Greek city he wrote:

In the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, we command you, brothers, to keep away from every brother who is idle and does not live according to the teaching you received from us. For you yourselves know how you ought to follow our example.

We were not idle when we were with you, nor did we eat anyones food without paying for it. On the contrary, we worked night and day, laboring and toiling so that we would not be a burden to any of you.

We did this, not because we do not have the right to such help, but in order to make ourselves a model for you to follow. For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: If a man will not work, he shall not eat.

We hear that some among you are idle. They are not busy; they are busybodies. Such people we command and urge in the Lord Jesus Christ to settle down and earn the bread they eat. (2 Thessalonians 3:6-12)

What a contrast this teaching is, especially the part about attending to your own business...

10:54

The Bible Teaches Believers to Manage Their Own Business and to Not be Slaves to the System Just the Opposite of Christian Teaching Health Impact News

by Brian Shilhavy

We did this, not because we do not have the right to such help, but in or...

10:16

The potential of Panax notoginseng against COVID-19 infection. GreenMedInfo

PMID:  J Ginseng Res. 2023 Apr 8. Epub 2023 Apr 8. PMID: 37362082 Abstract Title:  The potential ofnotoginseng against COVID-19 infection. Abstract:  The COVID-19 pandemic has changed the world and has presented the scientific community with unprecedented challenges. Infection is associated with overproduction of proinflammatory cytokines secondary to hyperactivation of the innate immune response, inducing a cytokine storm and triggering multiorgan failure and significant morbidity/mortality. No specific treatment is yet available. For thousands of years,notoginseng has been used to treat various infectious diseases. Experimental evidence ofnotoginseng utility in terms of alleviating the cytokine storm, especially the cascade, and improving post-COVID-19 symptoms, suggests thatnotoginseng may serve as a valuable adjunct treatment for COVID-19 infection.

read more

10:13

20(S)- Protopanaxadiol saponins isolated from Panax notoginseng target the binding of HMGB1 to TLR4 against inflammation. GreenMedInfo

PMID:  Phytother Res. 2023 Jul 9. Epub 2023 Jul 9. PMID: 37424151 Abstract Title:  20(S)- Protopanaxadiol saponins isolated from Panax notoginseng target the binding of HMGB1 to TLR4 against inflammation in experimental ulcerative colitis. Abstract:  Ulcerative colitis (UC) has emerged as a global healthcare issue due to high prevalence and unsatisfying therapeutic measures. 20(S)- Protopanaxadiol saponins (PDS) from Panax notoginseng with anti-inflammatory properties is a potential anti-colitis agent. Herein, we explored the effects and mechanisms of PDS administration on experimental murine UC. Dextran sulfate sodium-induced murine UC model was employed to investigate anti-colitis effects of PDS, and associated mechanisms were further verified in HMGB1-exposed THP-1 macrophages. Results indicated that PDS administration exerted ameliorative effects against experimental UC. Moreover, PDS administration remarkably downregulated mRNA expressions and productions of related pro-inflammatory mediators, and reversed elevated expressions of proteins related to NLRP3 inflammasome after colitis induction. Furthermore, administration with PDS also suppressed the expression and translocation of HMGB1, interrupting the downstream TLR4/NF-B pathway. In vitro, ginsenoside CK and 20(S)-protopanaxadiol, the metabolites of PDS, exhibited greater potential in anti-inflammation, and intervened with the TLR4-binding domain of HMGB1 predictably. Expectedly, ginsenoside CK and 20(S)-protopanaxadiol administrations inhibited the activation of TLR4/NF-B/NLRP3 inflammasome pathway in HMGB1-exposed THP-1 macrophages. Summarily, PDS administration attenuated inflammatory injury in experimental colitis by blocking the binding of HMGB1 to TLR4, majorly attributed to the antagonistic efficacies of ginsenoside CK and 20(S)-protopanaxadiol.

read more

10:04

Neuroprotective effects of aa against diabetic retinopathy. GreenMedInfo

PMID:  Front Pharmacol. 2023 ;14:1143923. Epub 2023 Apr 18. PMID: 37144218 Abstract Title:  Neuroprotective effects of aa(Mart.) against diabetic retinopathy. Abstract:  Diabetes mellitus describes a metabolic disorder of multiple etiologies, characterized by chronic hyperglycemia, which induces a series of molecular events capable of leading to microvascular damage, affecting the blood vessels of the retina, causing diabetic retinopathy. Studies indicate that oxidative stress plays a central role in complications involving diabetes. Aa() has attracted much attention given its antioxidant capacity and potential associated health benefits in preventing oxidative stress, one of the causes of diabetic retinopathy. The objective of this work was to evaluate the possible protective effect of aa() on the retinal function of mice with induced diabetes, based on full field electroretinogram (ffERG).We opted for mouse models with induced diabetes by administration of a 2% alloxan aqueous solution and treatment with feed enriched with aapulp. The animals were divided into 4 groups: CTR (received commercial ration), DM (received commercial ration), DM + aa(-enriched ration) and CTR + aa(-enriched ration). The ffERG was recorded three times, 30, 45 and 60 days after diabetes induction, under scotopic and photopic conditions to access rod, mixed and cone responses, in addition to monitoring the weight and blood glucose of the animals during the study period. Statistical analysis was performed using the two-way ANOVA test with Tukey's post-test.Our work obtained satisfactory results with the ffERG responses in diabetic animals treated with aa, where it was observed that there was no significant decrease in the b wave ffERG amplitude of this group over time when compared to the results of the Diabetic group not treated with aa, which showed a significant reduction of this ffERG component.The results of the present study show, for the first time, that treatment with an aa-enriched diet is effective against the decrease in the amplitude of visual electrophysiological responses in animals with induced diabetes, which opens a new horizon for the prevention of retinal damage in diabetic individuals from treatment with aabase. However, it is worth mentioning that our findings consist of a preliminary study and further researches and clinical trials are needed to examine aapotential as an alternative therapy for diabetic retinopathy.

read more

Can a Placebo Beat a Multivitamin? Articles

Multivitamin and mineral supplements are the most commonly consumed supplement in the U.S. Its estimated that one-third of U.S. adults and one-quarter of children and adolescents use them.1 But despite their popularity, multivitamins are controversial, with studies showing mixed results on their benefits.

A team of researchers from Oregon State University (OSU), however, found a significant positive effect when older men used multivitamins,2 to the extent that they concluded, "Our evidence indicates that many older men could benefit from a daily multivitamin."3

Multivitamins Improve Key Biomarkers of Nutrition

The study involved 35 healthy men aged 68 years or older. Half took a multivitamin/multimineral (MV/MM) supplement while the other half took a placebo, daily for six months. The men used no other supplements during the study period, with the exception of doctor-prescribed vitamin D.

"Our tests when the study started showed that many of these older men were not obtaining the optimal levels of several vitamins," said Tory Hagen, principal investigator and Helen P. Rumbel Professor for Healthy Aging Research at the Linus Pauling Institute. "So there certainly was room for improvement."4

Significant differences were noted between the two groups at the end of the study period, however. The multivitamin group had improved biomarkers of nutrition while the placebo group did not. In fact, nutrition biomarkers fell in some of the placebo participants, which "suggests that food alone was not enough to keep their vitamin and carotenoid levels up," Hagen explained.5

However, the placebo group also had a reduction in cellular oxygen consumption, which is a marker of cell function. "This was not observed in men who took the multivitamin, suggesting a connection between vitamin status and white blood cell function that we are eager to explore further," Hagen said in an OSU news release.6

By improving vitamin status, or preventing declines, as well as limiting reductions in cellular oxygen consumption, the team stated that multivitamin/multimineral use "may have important implications for metabolism and immune health in healthy older men."7 While vitamin and mineral deficiencies werent widespread in the healthy subjects that took part in the study, the researchers still found multivitamins to be worthwhile, explaining:

A Simple Way to Reduce Inflammation and Chronic Disease Articles

Editor's Note: This article is a reprint. It was originally published January 20, 2018.

Did you know the energy from the Earth can help you live a healthier life? The concept is known as earthing or grounding, which is no more complicated than walking barefoot.

In "Down to Earth"1 which received the IndieFEST Award of Excellence for a documentary short in January 20172 I speak alongside other experts to shed light on this super simple yet commonly overlooked way to protect and improve human health. As cardiologist Dr. Stephen Sinatra, author of "Earthing: The Most Important Health Discovery Ever?" explains in the film:

"[G]rounding is literally putting your bare feet on the ground. When you do that, you're in contact with the Earth, and mother Earth is endowed with electrons, and these electrons are literally absorbed through your feet. It's like taking handfuls of antioxidants, but you're getting it through your feet."

Your Body Needs Grounding

Research suggests a general lack of grounding, also referred to as "electron deficiency syndrome," has a lot to do with the rise of modern diseases.

It's not unusual for Americans to spend entire days without being grounded. But though it has become the norm, it's completely unnatural, and didn't really become widespread until the advent of shoes with artificial soles that prevent grounding. When you're grounded, free electrons from the Earth are transferred into your body, and these free electrons are among the most potent antioxidants known to man.

As electrons are negatively charged and free radicals are positively charged, any free radicals encountered in your tissues are electrically neutralized or canceled out by these free electrons. This is why grounding is so effective against chronic inflammation.

Dr. Laura Koniver, who discovered grounding quite by accident after it seemed to soothe her crying infant, says in the film, "Grounding supports the body as a whole but it specifically supports organ systems down to the tissues and the cellular function of the entire body."

Also, while you may not think of your body as a generator of electricity, you are very much an electrical being, and this is in large part why it's so important to use grounding to harness the electrical charge of the Earth. In the film, Gaetan Chevalier, Ph.D., an engineer/physicist who has studied grounding, explains:

"Unbeknownst to us, we live inside a battery. The surface of the Earth is charged negatively and...

Linoleic Acid The Most Destructive Ingredient in Your Diet Articles

Fats which are water-insoluble biological molecules also known as lipids1 are the primary building block of your cell membranes. This is one of the reasons why eating the right types of fat is so important for your health and longevity.

Well, after three grueling rounds of peer review over the last three months, my paper on the hazards of linoleic acid (LA), an omega-6 polyunsaturated fat (PUFA), is now published in the high impact Nutrition journal Nutrients and available for free download, here.2

Please download the article and save it on your hard drive as you never know what will happen with a future crisis. You can send it to doctors who don't yet believe how dangerous seed oils are, but truthfully, the video above is likely better for your friends.

I couldn't have done it without my co-author Dr. Chris D'Adamo who skillfully and diplomatically helped to navigate the minefield of peer review. Our next paper will likely be on reductive stress which is one of the most important foundational and unknown concepts in health. It helps explains why LA is so devastating to your health at a molecular biological level.

Lowering your LA is the single most important strategy you can take to not only lower reductive stress in your mitochondria, but improve your overall health. It took me over six months to create the video above and I would strongly encourage each of you to watch is several times so you embed in your brain how important avoiding LA is for your long-term health so you can develop unconscious reflex behaviors to avoid this pernicious fat.

Fatty Acid Basics

What distinguishes one fat from another is the specific combination of fatty acids its composed of, and the properties of fats and fatty acids depend on their hydrogen saturation and the length of their molecules, also referred to as "chain length."

There are two basic types of fatty acids, based on how many of their carbon bonds are paired with hydrogen:3

Saturated fats are fully loaded with hydrogen atoms forming straight chains, and are typically solid at room temperature (examples include butter and coconut oil)

Unsaturated fats have lost at least one of the pairs of hydrogen atoms from their carbon chain and come in two varieties:

Monounsaturated f...

09:58

Maqui berry and ginseng extracts reduce cigarette smoke-induced cell injury. GreenMedInfo

PMID:  Antioxidants (Basel). 2022 Dec 14 ;11(12). Epub 2022 Dec 14. PMID: 36552669 Abstract Title:  Maqui Berry and Ginseng Extracts Reduce Cigarette Smoke-Induced Cell Injury in a 3D Bone Co-Culture Model. Abstract:  Cigarette smoking-induced oxidative stress has harmful effects on bone metabolism. Maqui berry extract (MBE) and ginseng extract (GE) are two naturally occurring antioxidants that have been shown to reduce oxidative stress. By using an osteoblast and osteoclast three-dimensional co-culture system, we investigated the effects of MBE and GE on bone cells exposed to cigarette smoke extract (CSE). The cell viability and function of the co-culture system were measured on day 14. Markers of bone cell differentiation and oxidative stress were evaluated at gene and protein levels on day 7. The results showed that exposure to CSE induced osteoporotic-like alterations in the co-culture system, while 1.5g/mL MBE and 50g/mL GE improved CSE-impaired osteoblast function and decreased CSE-induced osteoclast function. The molecular mechanism of MBE and GE in preventing CSE-induced bone cell damage is linked with the inhibition of the NF-B signaling pathway and the activation of the Nrf2 signaling pathway. Therefore, MBE and GE can reduce CSE-induced detrimental effects on bone cells and, thus, prevent smoking-induced alterations in bone cell homeostasis. These two antioxidants are thus suitable supplements to support bone regeneration in smokers.

read more

09:58

Consciousness Is an Act of Rebellion Mad In America

From Daniel Mackler: Consciousness is an act of rebellion. To become self-aware, to begin to have a conscious internal relationship with our own internal self, is to begin to break out of all the systems that are not conscious. We live in such an unconscious world. So many of us come from families that are profoundly unconscious; with parents, grandparents, ancestors who are profoundly un-self-aware, or perhaps you could say Self-unaware. They really dont know themselves very well. They live with so much denial and so much projection. And they are the fundamentals, the foundation of so many of the systems of our world the systems of power, of unconsciousness. And theyre the ones who taught us how to be, how to function in the world, how to live in the world; they taught us who we were and who we are; they defined us for ourselves before we knew how to define ourselves. And when we begin to look within, and to listen within, and to feel within; and to develop an internal relationship with our own internal selves, with our true Self, or maybe you want to call it our Soul we begin to break away from all of these systems.

And this is dangerous . . . because we begin to overthrow the things that theyre putting on us, we begin to overthrow the projections that theyve put on us, the definitions that theyve put on us. And we begin to define ourselves from a different reality, from a true reality that comes from within, from an objective reality. And in so many cases, they dont like it. And for a very good reason: So many people who are unconscious most, everyone, perhaps, even the parts of ourselves that are unconscious dont like our burgeoning consciousness, our burgeoning Self-awareness. Because unconsciousness somehow unconsciously recognizes that consciousness is its basic enemy. Unconsciousness cannot thrive and grow in an environment where there are truth-tellers. It cannot survive, it cannot develop, and it cannot move forward.

Back to Around the Web

The post Consciousness Is an Act of Rebellion appeared first on Mad In America.

09:53

Acai Berry extracts are neuroprotective against L-glutamate-induced toxicity. GreenMedInfo

PMID:  Life (Basel). 2023 Apr 15 ;13(4). Epub 2023 Apr 15. PMID: 37109548 Abstract Title:  Acai Berry (sp.) Extracts Are Neuroprotective against L-Glutamate-Induced Toxicity by Limiting Mitochondrial Dysfunction and Cellular Redox Stress. Abstract:  Aberrant accumulation of the neurotransmitter L-glutamate (L-Glu) has been implicated as a mechanism of neurodegeneration, and the release of L-Glu after stroke onset leads to a toxicity cascade that results in neuronal death. The acai berry () is a potential dietary nutraceutical. The aim of this research was to investigate the neuroprotective effects of acai berry aqueous and ethanolic extracts to reduce the neurotoxicity to neuronal cells triggered by L-Glu application. L-Glu and acai berry effects on cell viability were quantified using 3-(4,5-Dimethylthiazol-2-yl)-2,5-diphenyltetrazolium bromide (MTT) and lactate dehydrogenase (LDH) assays, and effects on cellular bioenergetics were assessed via quantitation of the levels of cellular ATP, mitochondrial membrane potential (MMP), and production of reactive oxygen species (ROS) in neuroblastoma cells. Cell viability was also evaluated in human cortical neuronal progenitor cell culture after L-Glu or/and acai berry application. In isolated cells, activated currents using patch-clamping were employed to determine whether L-Glu neurotoxicity was mediated by ionotropic L-Glu-receptors (iGluRs). L-Glu caused a significant reduction in cell viability, ATP, and MMP levels and increased ROS production. The co-application of both acai berry extracts with L-Glu provided neuroprotection against L-Glu with sustained cell viability, decreased LDH production, restored ATP and MMP levels, and reduced ROS levels. Whole-cell patch-clamp recordings showed that L-Glu toxicity is not mediated by the activation of iGluRs in neuroblastoma cells. Fractionation and analysis of acai berry extracts with liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry identified several phytochemical antioxidants that may have provided neuroprotective effects. In summary, the acai berry contains nutraceuticals with antioxidant activity that may be a beneficial dietary component to limit pathological deficits triggered by excessive L-Glu accumulations.

read more

09:45

Effects of Juara on health: An overview of clinical and experimental studies. GreenMedInfo

PMID:  Nutrients. 2023 Apr 7 ;15(8). Epub 2023 Apr 7. PMID: 37111027 Abstract Title:  Effects of Juara (Martius) on Health: An Overview of Clinical and Experimental Studies and Call for Action. Abstract:  BACKGROUND AND AIMS: Juara is a fruit of ecological and nutritional importance. Its fruits represent an option for the sustainable use of the plant due to its vulnerability to extinction. Thus, the aim of this review was to analyze clinical and experimental studies and highlight the literature gaps regarding the effects of supplementation with Juara on health.METHODS: For this scoping review, we consulted the Medline (PubMed), Science Direct, and Scopus databases in March, April, and May 2022. Experimental studies and clinical trials published in the last ten years (2012-2022) were analyzed. Data were synthesized and reported.RESULTS: A total of 27 studies were included, 18 of which were experimental studies. Of these, 33% evaluated inflammatory markers associated with fat accumulation. Most of these studies (83%) used pulp in lyophilized form, and the others (17%) involved juara extract mixed in water. In addition, 78% of the studies showed positive results with respect to the lipid profile, reduction of oncological lesions, inflammation, microbiota modulation, and improvement in obesity and glycemia-related metabolic complications. Nine clinical trials with results similar to those of experimental trials were found. The majority (56%) were chronic (four to six weeks into the intervention), and 44% were acute. Three offered juara supplementation in the form of juice, four used freeze-dried pulp, two used fresh pulp, and one used a 9% dilution. The dose was fixed at 5 g, but the dilution ranged from 200 to 450 mL. These trials assessed mainly healthy, physically active, and obese individual adults (19-56 years old), and cardioprotective and anti-inflammatory effects, as well as improvement in the lipid profile and prebiotic potential, were observed.CONCLUSION: Juara supplementation showed promising results with respect to its effect on health. However, further studies are needed to clarify these possible effects on health and their mechanisms of action.

read more

09:42

Aa in health and disease: A critical review. GreenMedInfo

PMID:  Nutrients. 2023 Feb 16 ;15(4). Epub 2023 Feb 16. PMID: 36839349 Abstract Title:  Aa(Mart.) in Health and Disease: A Critical Review. Abstract:  The aapalm (Mart.), a species belonging to thefamily, has been cultivated for thousands of years in tropical Central and South America as a multipurpose dietary plant. The recent introduction of aafruit and its nutritional and healing qualities to regions outside its origin has rapidly expanded global demand for aaberry. The health-promoting and disease-preventing properties of this plant are attributed to numerous bioactive phenolic compounds present in the leaf, pulp, fruit, skin, and seeds. The purpose of this review is to present an up-to-date, comprehensive, and critical evaluation of the health benefits of aaand its phytochemicals with a special focus on cellular and molecular mechanisms of action. In vitro and in vivo studies showed that aapossesses antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties and exerts cardioprotective, gastroprotective, hepatoprotective, neuroprotective, renoprotective, antilipidemic, antidiabetic, and antineoplastic activities. Moreover, clinical trials have suggested that aacan protect against metabolic stress induced by oxidation, inflammation, vascular abnormalities, and physical exertion. Due to its medicinal properties and the absence of undesirable effects, aashows a promising future in health promotion and disease prevention, in addition to a vast economic potential in the food and cosmetic industries.

read more

09:36

Photodynamic therapy with acai and blue light in oral cells. GreenMedInfo

PMID:  J Biophotonics. 2023 Mar ;16(3):e202200259. Epub 2022 Dec 7. PMID: 36349809 Abstract Title:  Photodynamic therapy with acai (Euterpe oleracea) and blue light in oral cells: A spectroscopic and cytotoxicity analysis. Abstract:  OBJECTIVE: To evaluate the potential of photodynamic therapy (PDT) with blue light-emitting diode (LED) 460nm at 25, 50 and 100J/cmusing three concentrations of acai extracts (100, 40, and 10 mg/ml), in the proliferation and viability of head and neck tumor lines (SCC9).METHODS: Three groups of cells were analyzed for 3days in an in vitro assay with MTT (3- (4,5-dimethylthiazol-2-yl) -2,5, -diphenyltetrazolium bromide) and crystal violet: cells in the absence of acai extract and PDT (control group); cells in the presence of acai extract and no light; and cells in the presence of acai extract and LED blue light (PDT groups).RESULTS: When using acai as a PS combined with blue LED (460nm, 0.7466cm, 1000mW/cm) and irradiation at 25, 50, and 100J/cm, after 72h, cell viability (p

read more

09:33

Potential of Acai berry as a potential natural treatment for Alzheimer's disease. GreenMedInfo

PMID:  Molecules. 2022 Jul 30 ;27(15). Epub 2022 Jul 30. PMID: 35956841 Abstract Title:  A Preliminary Assessment of the Nutraceutical Potential of Acai Berry (sp.) as a Potential Natural Treatment for Alzheimer's Disease. Abstract:  Alzheimer's disease (AD) is characterised by progressive neuronal atrophy and the loss of neuronal function as a consequence of multiple pathomechanisms. Current AD treatments primarily operate at a symptomatic level to treat a cholinergic deficiency and can cause side effects. Hence, there is an unmet need for healthier lifestyles to reduce the likelihood of AD as well as improved treatments with fewer adverse reactions. Diets rich in phytochemicals may reduce neurodegenerative risk and limit disease progression. The native South American palm acai berry () is a potential source of dietary phytochemicals beneficial to health. This study aimed to screen the nutraceutical potential of the acai berry, in the form of aqueous and ethanolic extracts, for the ability to inhibit acetyl- and butyryl-cholinesterase (ChE) enzymes and scavenge free radicals via 2,2-diphenyl-1-picryl-hydrazyl-hydrate (DPPH) or 2,2'-azino-bis-3-ethylbenzthiazoline-6-sulphonic acid (ABTS) assays. In addition, this study aimed to quantify the acai berry's antioxidant potential via hydrogen peroxide or hydroxyl scavenging, nitric oxide scavenging, lipid peroxidation inhibition, and the ability to reduce ferric ions. Total polyphenol and flavonoid contents were also determined. Acai aqueous extract displayed a concentration-dependent inhibition of acetyl- and butyryl-cholinesterase enzymes. Both acai extracts displayed useful concentration-dependent free radical scavenging and antioxidant abilities, with the acai ethanolic extract being the most potent antioxidant and displaying the highest phenolic and flavonoid contents. In summary, extracts of the acai berry contain nutraceutical components with anti-cholinesterase and antioxidant capabilities and may therefore provide a beneficial dietary component that limits the pathological deficits evidenced in AD.

read more

09:26

Long-term dietary n3 fatty acid prevents aging-related cardiac diastolic and vascular dysfunction. GreenMedInfo

PMID:  Vascul Pharmacol. 2023 Jun ;150:107175. Epub 2023 Apr 25. PMID: 37105373 Abstract Title:  Long-term dietary n3 fatty acid prevents aging-related cardiac diastolic and vascular dysfunction. Abstract:  AIMS: The prevalence of left ventricular (LV) diastolic and vascular dysfunction increases with age, eventually leading to heart failure with preserved ejection fraction (HFpEF). A preventive strategy is an unmet medical need. We and others reported previously on the beneficial effects of omega-3 fatty acid alpha linolenic acid (ALA) on cardiovascular disorders in animal models and translational studies. We now investigate whether long-term dietary ALA could prevent LV diastolic dysfunction and vascular aging in a murine model.METHODS AND RESULTS: Wild-type C57BL/6J mice were fed a chow or ALA diet for 12months, starting at 6months of age. Here, we show that aged (~18months) mice recapitulate major hallmarks of HFpEF, including LV diastolic dysfunction with preserved ejection fraction, impaired vascular function, cardiac fibrosis, arterial stiffening and inflammation, as well as elevated B-type natriuretic peptide (BNP). Long-term ALA supplementation upregulated the mitochondrial tricarboxylic acid enzyme Idh2 and the antioxidant enzymes SOD1 and Gpx1. It also has been associated with reduced inflammation and ECM remodeling, accompanied by a significant downregulation of fibrosis biomarkers MMP-2 and TGF-in both cardiac and vascular tissues obtained from aged mice. Our data exhibited the preventive effects of dietary ALA against LV diastolic dysfunction, impaired vasorelaxation, cardiac fibrosis, inflammation and arterial stiffening in aged mice.CONCLUSIONS: We provide evidence and a simplified mechanistic insight on how long-term ALA supplementation is a successful strategy to prevent the development of age-related diastolic and vascular dysfunction.

read more

09:21

Dietary polyunsaturated fatty acids intake, air pollution, and the risk of lung cancer. GreenMedInfo

PMID:  Sci Total Environ. 2023 Jul 15 ;882:163552. Epub 2023 Apr 23. PMID: 37094679 Abstract Title:  Dietary polyunsaturated fatty acids intake, air pollution, and the risk of lung cancer: A prospective study in UK biobank. Abstract:  BACKGROUND: Epidemiological evidence on the association between specific types of polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs) intake and lung cancer risk is limited. However, whether dietary-specific PUFAs intake can modify the association between air pollutants and incident lung cancer remains unknown.METHODS: Cox proportional hazard models and restricted cubic spline regression were used to evaluate the associations of omega-3 PUFAs, omega-6 PUFAs and the ratio of omega-6 PUFAs to omega-3 PUFAs intake with lung cancer risk. Furthermore, we evaluated the associations between air pollutants and incident lung cancer, and whether dietary-specific PUFAs intake would modify the relationship using stratification analyses.RESULTS: This study found significant associations between the risk of lung cancer and omega-3 PUFAs intake (hazard ratio [HR], 0.82; 95% confidence interval [CI], 0.73-0.93; per 1g/d), and omega-6 PUFAs intake (HR, 0.98; 95% CI, 0.96-0.99; per 1g/d). We did not observe an association between the omega-6 to omega-3 PUFAs intake ratio and incident lung cancer. With regard to air pollution, omega-3 PUFAs intake attenuated the positive relationship between nitrogen oxides (NOx) pollution and lung cancer risk, and an increased incidence of lung cancer was found only in the low omega-3 PUFAs intake group (p

read more

09:14

The effect of omega-3 fatty acids on alcohol-induced damage. GreenMedInfo

PMID:  Front Nutr. 2023 ;10:1068343. Epub 2023 Apr 5. PMID: 37090780 Abstract Title:  The effect of omega-3 fatty acids on alcohol-induced damage. Abstract:  Alcohol is the most widely consumed psychoactive substance in the world that has a severe impact on many organs and bodily systems, particularly the liver and nervous system. Alcohol use during pregnancy roots long-lasting changes in the newborns and during adolescence has long-term detrimental effects especially on the brain. The brain contains docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), a major omega-3 (n-3) fatty acid (FA) that makes up cell membranes and influences membrane-associated protein function, cell signaling, gene expression and lipid production. N-3 is beneficial in several brain conditions like neurodegenerative diseases, ameliorating cognitive impairment, oxidative stress, neuronal death and inflammation. Because alcohol decreases the levels of n-3, it is timely to know whether n-3 supplementation positively modifies alcohol-induced injuries. The aim of this review is to summarize the state-of-the-art of the n-3 effects on certain conditions caused by alcohol intake, focusing primarily on brain damage and alcoholic liver disease.

read more

09:09

Anti-inflammatory effect of combining fish oil and evening primrose oil supplementation on breast cancer. GreenMedInfo

PMID:  Sci Rep. 2023 Apr 20 ;13(1):6449. Epub 2023 Apr 20. PMID: 37081029 Abstract Title:  Anti-inflammatory effect of combining fish oil and evening primrose oil supplementation on breast cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy: a randomized placebo-controlled trial. Abstract:  Breast cancer is the most common malignant tumor and one of the leading causes of cancer-related death in women throughout the world. This study is a parallel, randomized, double-blind, controlled, 12-week supplementation trial, investigating the anti-inflammatory effects of dietary intake of fish oil and evening primrose oil (EPO), in patients with breast cancer undergoing chemotherapy. The primary outcomes were changes in the nutritional status and inflammatory cytokines of patients during the study. The secondary outcomes were changes in hematological and biochemical parameters and fatty acid profile. Of the 32 eligible patients, half of them is randomly assigned to a treatment arm with fish oil and EPO (n=16), or a control arm (n=16) with mineral oil as a placebo. The intervention group was taking 2 gel capsules of fish oil and 3 gel capsules of EPO (400 mg eicosapentaenoic acid, 600 mg docosahexaenoic acid, and 351 mg gamma-linolenic acid) fish oil and evening primrose oil for 12 weeks, during their chemotherapy. The control/placebo group was taking 5 gel capsules of 1g of mineral oil. One of the patients dropped out due to discontinuation of the treatment (in the placebo group) and two did not show up at the post-treatment measurements (in the intervention group), thus, 29 women completed the study. The results showed an increase in plasma levels of docosapentaenoic acid (22:5n-3), docosahexaenoic acid (22:6n-3), total n-3PUFA, vaccenic acid (18:1n-7), and a decrease in n-6/n-3 PUFA ratio in the intervention group. An increase in the plasma level of dihomo-gamma-linolenic acid (20:3n-6) was observed in the placebo group. There was no difference in plasma levels of interleukin (IL) IL-8, IL-10, and tumor necrosis factor-alpha, while the level of IL-6 decreased in both groups and was significantly lower in the intervention group at the end of the study. In conclusion, this supplementation improved the PUFA status and decreased the level of IL-6 in breast cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy. Consequently, this treatment may help reduce cancer complications resulting from impaired lipid metabolism and inflammation. ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT03516253. Date of registration 04/05/2018.

read more

08:56

Evening primrose oil attenuates oxidative stress, inflammation, fibrosis, apoptosis, and ultrastructural alterations induced by metanil yellow in the liver. GreenMedInfo

PMID:  Ultrastruct Pathol. 2023 May 4 ;47(3):188-204. Epub 2023 Mar 16. PMID: 36927382 Abstract Title:  Evening primrose oil attenuates oxidative stress, inflammation, fibrosis, apoptosis, and ultrastructural alterations induced by metanil yellow in the liver of rat: a histological, immunohistochemical, and biochemical study. Abstract:  The food color metanil yellow (Myl) is hazardous to several body systems. Evening primrose oil (EPO) was reported to have anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant properties. The present work investigated the impact of Myl on the hepatic structure and function of rats and evaluated the protective effect of EPO. Forty adult male rats were divided into four groups: control, EPO (5g/kg/day), Myl (200mg/kg/day), and EPO- Myl group. Myl significantly increased liver enzymes, advanced glycation end products (AGE), oxidative stress parameters, pro-inflammatory cytokines, nuclear factor kappa B (NF-B), and inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS). Blood vessels in the liver were dilated and congested, with cellular infiltration around them and associated with fibrosis. The hepatocytes were vacuolated and had dark nuclei. The immunohistochemical expression of iNOS, glial fibrillary acidic protein (GFAP), and Bax was significantly elevated. Ultrastructurally, the hepatocytes showed lipid droplets, irregular condensed nuclei with widened perinuclear space, dilated rER, mitochondria with destructed cristae, and multiple vacuoles. Dilated congested blood sinusoids and collagen fiber bundles were seen between hepatocytes. Interestingly, these alterations were less pronounced in rats co-administrated with EPO and Myl. In conclusion, EPO can protect liver against the toxic effects of Myl due to its anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant activities.

read more

08:47

The Grand Debunk of the antivaxxer book Turtles All the Way Down (part 2/10) Science-Based Medicine

The second installment in debunking the antivaxxer book "Turtles All the Way Down": Chapter 2, supposedly concerned with The Science of Adverse Events.

The post The Grand Debunk of the antivaxxer book Turtles All the Way Down (part 2/10) first appeared on Science-Based Medicine.

08:46

The polyunsaturated fatty acids eicosapentaenoic acid and docosahexaenoic acid, and vitamin K1 modulate the gut microbiome. GreenMedInfo

PMID:  J Diet Suppl. 2023 Apr 20:1-19. Epub 2023 Apr 20. PMID: 37078491 Abstract Title:  The Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids Eicosapentaenoic Acid and Docosahexaenoic Acid, and Vitamin KModulate the Gut Microbiome: A Study Using an In Vitro Shime Model. Abstract:  Omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs) and vitamins exert multiple beneficial effects on host health, some of which may be mediated through the gut microbiome. We investigated the prebiotic potential of eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA), docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) and lipid-soluble phylloquinone (vitamin K), each at 0.2x, 1x and 5x using the simulator of the human intestinal microbial ecosystem (SHIME) to excludesystemic effects and host-microbe interactions.Microbial community composition and, diversity [shotgun metagenomic sequencing] and microbial activity [pH, gas pressure, and production of short-chain fatty acids (SCFAs)] were measured over a period of 48h. Fermentations supernatants were used to investigate the effect on gut barrier integrity using a Caco-2/goblet cell co-culture model.We found that EPA, DHA and vitamin Kincreased alpha-diversity at 24h when compared with control. Moreover, there was an effect on beta-diversity with changes in gut microbial composition, such as an increase in the(F/B) ratio and a consistent increase inandabundances with all treatments. DHA, EPA, and vitamin Kalso modulated metabolic activity of the gut microbiome by increasing total SCFAs which was related mainly to an increase in propionate (highest with EPA and vitamin Kat 0.2x). Finally, we found that EPA and DHA increased gut barrier integrity with DHA at 1x and EPA at 5x (

read more

07:37

11 Tips to Cope With Watching a Loved One Die Healthy Holistic Living

The heart wrenching task of watching a loved one gradually succumb to a terminal illness or sudden accident is amongst lifes most harrowing experiences. As you confront a maelstrom of emotions and an abrupt shift from cherished memories of robust health to the stark reality of decline, it is imperative to arm yourself with practical strategies to navigate this complex process.

Prelude to Death: An Emotional Rollercoaster

Understanding the process of dying is an initial step to coping with a loved ones imminent demise. When you opt for hospice or palliative care, the painful acceptance of the inevitable confronts you there is no miracle cure in sight. Even as you grapple with these harsh realities, it is necessary to acknowledge the need for additional support during these taxing times.

As you experience this profound transformation, its helpful to familiarize yourself with the seven stages of grief that begin to manifest even before the actual passing of your loved one.

1. Shock and Denial: This stage is characterized by a sense of disbelief and numbness as the grim news sinks in.
  2. Pain and Guilt: Emotional pain and remorse for perceived shortcomings may surface during this stage.
  3. Anger and Bargaining: Frustration, resentment, and the temptation to make a bargain with a higher power are common at this stage.
  4. Depression, Reflection, and Loneliness: As the reality sets in, this stage involves reflecting on past shared experiences and feeling a sense of overwhelming loneliness.
  5. The Upward Turn: Emotional distress begins to lessen, and life without the loved one becomes more imaginable.
  6. Reconstruction and Working Through: At this stage, the individual begins to return to normalcy and adjusts to life without the deceased.
  7. Acceptance and Hope: This final stage of grief is marked by accepting the loss and a renewed sense of hope for the future....

07:30

Prenatal vitamins during pregnancy reduce the risk of autism Skeptical Raptor

If you are a regular reader of this blog, you know Im not exactly a fan of vitamin supplements. They are expensive and they usually dont have a beneficial effect on health, despite the claims of the supplement industry. But I always forget to mention an important exception prenatal vitamins and supplements that are Read More Prenatal vitamins during pregnancy reduce the risk of autism

Skeptical Raptor

06:14

MSG one of the largest food myths being pushed Skeptical Raptor

There is a myth that monosodium glutamate, or MSG, is unsafe or unhealthy. It is a simple amino acid, that's all. And it's safe.

Skeptical Raptor

06:08

High fish intake rich in n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids reduces cardiovascular disease incidence in healthy adults. GreenMedInfo

PMID:  Front Physiol. 2023 ;14:1158140. Epub 2023 Mar 28. PMID: 37057185 Abstract Title:  High fish intake rich in n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids reduces cardiovascular disease incidence in healthy adults: The ATTICA cohort study (2002-2022). Abstract:  The long-term effects of high fish intake rich in n-3 fatty acids for deterring cardiovascular disease (CVD) and related adverse outcomes in healthy individuals have not been yet elucidated.To evaluate the association between total seafood, as well as small fish, intake on 10- and 20-year CVD incidence and mortality in healthy adults.A prospective cohort study (n = 2,020) was conducted in healthy community dwelling adults in Athens, Greece, selected following age- and sex-based random multistage sampling (meanSD age at baseline: 45.214.0 years). Seafood (high (>2 servings/week) vs. low (2 servings/week) intake), including small fish rich in n-3 fatty acids (high (>1 serving/week) vs. low (1 serving/week) intake), consumption was evaluated by semi-quantitative food frequency questionnaire at baseline. The occurrence of non-fatal and/or fatal CVD events (ICD-10) was assessed during 10- and 20-year follow-up periods.Only 32.7% and 9.6% of participants had high seafood and small fish intakes, respectively. Participants with high seafood intake had 27% decreased 10-year CVD risk (adj. HR:0.73; 95% CI:0.55-0.98) and 74% lower attributable mortality (adj. HR:0.26; 95% CI:0.11-0.58). Participants with high seafood intake also sustained a 24% lower 20-year risk of CVD mortality (adj. HR: 0.76; 95% CI: 0.55-0.98). Moreover, participants with high small fish intake had a lower 10-year CVD risk and 76% decreased risk of 10-year CVD mortality (adj. HR:0.24; 95% CI:0.06-0.99), even among normotensive individuals (adj. HR:0.31; 95% CI:0.13-0.73). When analogous analyses focused on 20-year CVD incidence and mortality, similar but not significant associations were observed (all-values>0.10).High intake of seafood, and particularly small fish rich in n-3 fatty acids, was associated with a lower risk of 10-year fatal and non-fatal CVD. Thus, public health interventions aimed at enhancing small fish consumption may most effectively deter long-term CVD outcomes, particularly among low risk normotensive individuals.

read more

06:06

The prospective associations of egg consumption with the risk of total cerebrovascular disease morbidity. GreenMedInfo

PMID:  Nutrients. 2023 Apr 7 ;15(8). Epub 2023 Apr 7. PMID: 37111029 Abstract Title:  The Prospective Associations of Egg Consumption with the Risk of Total Cerebrovascular Disease Morbidity among Chinese Adults. Abstract:  BACKGROUND: Studies investigating the relationship between egg consumption and the risk of cerebrovascular disease (CED) have yielded inconsistent results. This study evaluated the association between egg consumption and the risk of CED among Chinese adults.METHODS: Data were obtained from China Kadoorie Biobank, Qingdao. A computerised questionnaire was used to collect information regarding egg consumption frequency. CED events were tracked through linkage with the Disease Surveillance Point System and the new national health insurance databases. Cox proportional hazards regression analyses were used to evaluate associations between egg consumption and CED risk controlling for potential confounders.RESULTS: After a median follow-up of 9.2 years, 865 and 1083 CED events among men and women, respectively, were documented. More than 50% of participants consumed eggs daily with an average age of 52.0 (10.4) years at baseline. No association between egg consumption and CED were identified in the whole cohort and women. However, a 28% lower risk of CED was observed in those who consumed eggs at a higher frequency (HR = 0.72, 95% CI: 0.55-0.95) and a significant trend for the association (for trend = 0.012) in a multivariable model in men.CONCLUSION: Higher frequency of egg consumption was associated with a lower risk of total CED events among men but not women in Chinese adults. The beneficial effect on women warrants further investigations.

read more

06:02

Consumption of nutritionally enriched hen eggs enhances endothelium-dependent vasodilation. GreenMedInfo

PMID:  Nutrients. 2023 Mar 25 ;15(7). Epub 2023 Mar 25. PMID: 37049437 Abstract Title:  Consumption of Nutritionally Enriched Hen Eggs Enhances Endothelium-Dependent Vasodilation via Cyclooxygenase Metabolites in Healthy Young People-A Randomized Study. Abstract:  OBJECTIVE: The present study aimed to evaluate the effects of enriched hen egg consumption on endothelium-dependent vasodilation (EDV) and the role of cyclooxygenases in EDV in the microcirculation of young healthy individuals. This study hypothesizes that Nutri4 eggs will improve endothelial function, which will be manifested by changes in microcirculatory flow measured by a laser Doppler flowmeter (LDF) during reactive hyperemia in response to vascular occlusion, in which-3 PUFA plays an important role as well as its degradation pathway by cyclooxygenases.MATERIALS AND METHODS: Participants consumed three eggs per day for three weeks: The control group (CTRL,= 14) consumed regular hen eggs (approximately 0.330 mg of lutein, 1.785 mg of vitamin E, 0.054 mg of selenium and 438 mg of-3 PUFAs daily) and Nutri4 group (= 20) consumed enriched eggs (approximately 1.85 mg of lutein, 0.06 mg of selenium, 3.29 mg of vitamin E, and 1026 mg of-3 PUFAs daily). Skin microvascular blood flow in response to EDV (post-occlusive reactive hyperemia (PORH) and iontophoresis of acetylcholine (AChID)) and sodium nitroprusside (SNPID; endothelium-independent) was assessed by laser Doppler flowmetry before and after dietary protocol and in a separate group of participants who were administered perorally 100 mg of indomethacin before microvascular response assessment. Arterial blood pressure, heart rate, serum lipid, and liver enzymes, anthropometric measurements, protein expression of cyclooxygenase 1 (COX-1), cyclooxygenase 2 (COX-2), neuronal nitric oxide synthases (nNOS), inducible nitric oxide synthases (iNOS), and endothelial nitric oxide synthases (eNOS) were measured before and after dietary protocol.RESULTS: PORH and AChID were significantly enhanced, and SNPID remained unchanged in the Nutri4 group, while none was changed in the CTRL following a respective diet. PORH decreased after administration of indomethacin in Nutri4 after dietary protocol. Protein expression of COX-2 was significantly higher in the Nutri4 group compared to the CTRL after the dietary protocol.CONCLUSION: Consumption of enriched eggs improves microvascular EDV in healthy young subjects. Results suggest an element of-3 PUFAs metabolites via the cyclooxygenases pathway in enhanced reactive hyperemia.

read more

05:58

The global association between egg intake and the incidence and mortality of ischemic heart disease. GreenMedInfo

PMID:  Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2023 Feb 25 ;20(5). Epub 2023 Feb 25. PMID: 36901143 Abstract Title:  The Global Association between Egg Intake and the Incidence and Mortality of Ischemic Heart Disease-An Ecological Study. Abstract:  The relationship between egg consumption and ischemic heart disease (IHD) remains controversial as there is still no clear answer regarding the relationship, with research limited to a few geographical regions. In the current study, we conducted a longitudinal analysis of the association between egg intake and IHD incidence (IHDi) and mortality (IHDd) using 28 years of international data from 1990 to 2018. Egg intake (g/day/capita) by country was obtained from the Global Dietary Database. Age-standard IHDi and IHDd rates per 100,000 subjects in each country were obtained from the 2019 Global Burden of Disease database. The analysis included a total of 142 countries with populations of at least one million, for which all data were available from 1990 to 2018. Eggs are consumed worldwide, and regional differences in consumption are also shown. Utilizing IHDi and IHDd as objective variables and egg intake as an explanatory variable, the analysis was conducted using linear mixed models, which controlled for inter- and intra-country variation from year to year. The results showed a significant negative association between egg intake, and IHDi (-0.2530.117,

read more

05:56

Protective effects of omega-3 supplementation against doxorubicin-induced deleterious effects on the liver and kidneys. GreenMedInfo

PMID:  Molecules. 2023 Mar 28 ;28(7). Epub 2023 Mar 28. PMID: 37049766 Abstract Title:  Protective Effects of Omega-3 Supplementation against Doxorubicin-Induced Deleterious Effects on the Liver and Kidneys of Rats. Abstract:  Anthracycline doxorubicin (DOX) is still widely used as a chemotherapeutic drug for some solid tumors. Although DOX is highly effective, its side effects are limiting factors, such as cardio, nephro and hepatotoxicity. As such, approaches used to mitigate these adverse effects are highly encouraged. Omega 3 (-3), which is a class of long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids, has been shown to have anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effects in preclinical bioassays. Thus, we evaluated the protective effects of-3 supplementation on hepatotoxicity and nephrotoxicity induced by multiple DOX administrations in rodents. Male Wistar rats (10 rats/group) were treated daily with-3 (400 mg/kg/day) by gavage for six weeks. Two weeks after the first-3 administration, the rats received DOX (3.5 mg/kg, intraperitoneal, 1/week) for four weeks. DOX treatment reduced body weight gain increased systemic genotoxicity and caused liver-related (increase in serum ALT levels, thickness of the Glisson's capsule, compensatory proliferation and p65 levels) and kidney-related (increase in serum urea and creatinine levels, and incidence of tubular dilatation) deleterious outcomes. In contrast,-3 supplementation was safe and abrogated the DOX-related enhancement of systemic genotoxicity, serum urea and creatinine levels. Furthermore,-3 intervention reduced by 50% the incidence of kidney histological lesions while reducing by 40-50% the p65 protein level, and the proliferative response in the liver induced by DOX. Our findings indicate that-3 intervention attenuated the DOX-induced deleterious effects in the liver and kidney. Therefore, our findings may inspire future mechanistical investigations and clinical interventions with-3 on the reported outcomes.

read more

05:52

Omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids in managing comorbid mood disorders in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. GreenMedInfo

PMID:  J Clin Med. 2023 Apr 2 ;12(7). Epub 2023 Apr 2. PMID: 37048736 Abstract Title:  Omega-3 Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids in Managing Comorbid Mood Disorders in Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD): A Review. Abstract:  Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) is the third-leading cause of mortality globally, significantly affecting people over 40 years old. COPD is often comorbid with mood disorders; however, they are frequently neglected or undiagnosed in COPD management, thus resulting in unintended treatment outcomes and higher mortality associated with the disease. Although the exact link between COPD and mood disorders remains to be ascertained, there is a broader opinion that inflammatory reactions in the lungs, blood, and inflammation-induced changes in the brain could orchestrate the onset of mood disorders in COPD. Although the current management of mood disorders such as depression in COPD involves using antidepressants, their use has been limited due to tolerability issues. On the other hand, as omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids (n-3 PUFAs) play a vital role in regulating inflammatory responses, they could be promising alternatives in managing mood disorders in COPD. This review discusses comorbid mood disorders in COPD as well as their influence on the progression and management of COPD. The underlying mechanisms of comorbid mood disorders in COPD will also be discussed, along with the potential role of n-3 PUFAs in managing these conditions.

read more

05:43

Saturated fatty acids and omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids improve metabolic parameters. GreenMedInfo

PMID:  Endocrinology. 2023 Apr 17 ;164(6). PMID: 37029960 Abstract Title:  Saturated Fatty Acids and Omega-3 Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids Improve Metabolic Parameters in Ovariectomized Female Mice. Abstract:  In menopausal and postmenopausal women, the risk for obesity, cardiovascular disease, osteoporosis, and gut dysbiosis are elevated by the depletion of 17-estradiol. A diet that is high in omega-6 polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs), particularly linoleic acid (LA), and low in saturated fatty acids (SFAs) found in coconut oil and omega-3 PUFAs may worsen symptoms of estrogen deficiency. To investigate this hypothesis, ovariectomized C57BL/6J and transgenic fat-1 mice, which lower endogenous omega-6 polyunsaturated fatty acids, were treated with either a vehicle or estradiol benzoate (EB) and fed a high-fat diet with a high or low PUFA:SFA ratio for ~15 weeks. EB treatment reversed obesity, glucose intolerance, and bone loss in ovariectomized mice. fat-1 mice fed a 1% LA diet experienced reduced weight gain and adiposity, while those fed a 22.5% LA diet exhibited increased energy expenditure and activity in EB-treated ovariectomized mice. Coconut oil SFAs and omega-3 FAs helped protect against glucose intolerance without EB treatment. Improved insulin sensitivity was observed in wild-type and fat-1 mice fed 1% LA diet with EB treatment, while fat-1 mice fed 22.5% LA diet was protected against insulin resistance without EB treatment. The production of short-chain fatty acids by gut microbial microbiota was linked to omega-3 FAs production and improved energy homeostasis. These findings suggest that a balanced dietary fatty acid profile containing SFAs and a lower ratio of omega-6:omega-3 FAs is more effective in alleviating metabolic disorders during E2 deficiency.

read more

05:42

Robert F Kennedy Jr denies vaccine scientific consensus but accepts climate change Skeptical Raptor

Robert F Kennedy Jr rejects vaccine scientific consensus but accepts it for climate change. Scientific evidence supports both equally.

Skeptical Raptor

05:36

The Relationship of Omega-3 Fatty acids with dementia and Cognitive Decline GreenMedInfo

PMID:  Am J Clin Nutr. 2023 Jun ;117(6):1096-1109. Epub 2023 Apr 5. PMID: 37028557 Abstract Title:  The Relationship of Omega-3 Fatty Acids with Dementia and Cognitive Decline: Evidence from Prospective Cohort Studies of Supplementation, Dietary Intake, and Blood Markers. Abstract:  Previous data have linked omega-3 fatty acids with risk of dementia. We aimed to assess the longitudinal relationships of omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acid intake as well as blood biomarkers with risk of Alzheimer's disease (AD), dementia, or cognitive decline. Longitudinal data were derived from 1135 participants without dementia (mean age = 73 y) in the Alzheimer's Disease Neuroimaging Initiative (ADNI) cohort to evaluate the associations of omega-3 fatty acid supplementation and blood biomarkers with incident AD during the 6-y follow-up. A meta-analysis of published cohort studies was further conducted to test the longitudinal relationships of dietary intake of omega-3 and its peripheral markers with all-cause dementia or cognitive decline. Causal dose-response analyses were conducted using the robust error meta-regression model. In the ADNI cohort, long-term users of omega-3 fatty acid supplements exhibited a 64% reduced risk of AD (hazard ratio: 0.36, 95% confidence interval: 0.18, 0.72; P = 0.004). After incorporating 48 longitudinal studies involving 103,651 participants, a moderate-to-high level of evidence suggested that dietary intake of omega-3 fatty acids could lower risk of all-cause dementia or cognitive decline by20%, especially for docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) intake (relative risk [RR]: 0.82, I= 63.6%, P = 0.001) and for studies that were adjusted for apolipoprotein APOE4 status (RR: 0.83, I= 65%, P = 0.006). Each increment of 0.1 g/d of DHA or eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) intake was associated with an 8%9.9% (P

read more

05:17

Intermittent fasting protects against Alzheimer's disease. GreenMedInfo

PMID:  Nat Aging. 2022 Nov ;2(11):1024-1039. Epub 2022 Nov 17. PMID: 37118092 Abstract Title:  Intermittent fasting protects against Alzheimer's disease in mice by altering metabolism through remodeling of the gut microbiota. Abstract:  Alzheimer's disease (AD) is the most common form of dementia without effective clinical treatment. Here, we show that intermittent fasting (IF) improves cognitive functions and AD-like pathology in a transgenic AD mouse model (5XFAD). IF alters gut microbial composition with a significant enrichment in probiotics such as Lactobacillus. The changes in the composition of the gut microbiota affect metabolic activities and metabolite production. Metabolomic profiling analysis of cecal contents revealed IF leads to a decreased carbohydrate metabolism (for example, glucose) and an increased abundance in amino acids (for example, sarcosine and dimethylglycine). Interestingly, we found that the administration of IF-elevated sarcosine or dimethylglycine mimics the protective effects of IF in 5XFAD mice, including the amelioration of cognitive decline, amyloid-(A) burden and glial overactivation. Our findings thus demonstrate an IF regimen is a potential approach to prevent AD progression, at least through the gut-microbiota-metabolites-brain axis, and constitutes an innovative AD therapeutic avenue.

read more

04:51

Improvement in blood pressure after intermittent fasting in hypertension. GreenMedInfo

PMID:  Arq Bras Cardiol. 2023 Mar ;120(5):e20220756. PMID: 37098959 Abstract Title:  Improvement in Blood Pressure After Intermittent Fasting in Hipertension: Could Renin-Angiotensin System and Autonomic Nervous System Have a Role? Abstract:  BACKGROUND: Although it has been reported that the intermittent fasting (IF) diet has positive effects on heart health and improvement in blood pressure, it has not been sufficiently clarified how it could have these positive effects yet.OBJECTIVE: We aimed to evaluate the effects of IF on the autonomic nervous system (ANS) and renin-angiotensin system (RAS), which are closely related to blood pressure.METHODS: Seventy-two hypertensive patients were included in the study, and the data of 58 patients were used. All the participants fasted for about 15-16 hours for 30 days. Participants were evaluated with 24-hour ambulatory blood pressure monitoring and Holter electrocardiography before and after IF; also, 5 ml venous blood samples were taken for assessment of Serum angiotensin I (Ang-I) and angiotensin II (Ang-II) levels and angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) activity. For data analysis, the p-value

read more

04:48

Effects of intermittent fasting on cognitive health and Alzheimer's disease. GreenMedInfo

PMID:  Nutr Rev. 2023 Apr 12. Epub 2023 Apr 12. PMID: 37043764 Abstract Title:  Effects of intermittent fasting on cognitive health and Alzheimer's disease. Abstract:  OBJECTIVE: Caloric restriction by intermittent fasting produces several metabolic changes, such as increased insulin sensitivity and use of ketone bodies as energy sources. In humans, intermittent fasting has been studied in hypertension, diabetes, and related conditions, but, to date, not as a strategy to reduce the risk of emergent dementia. In this scoping review, the relevance of intermittent fasting as a potential preventive intervention for Alzheimer's dementia is explored.BACKGROUND: The beneficial effects of calorie restriction have been documented in animals and humans. Decreased oxidative stress damage and attenuated inflammatory responses are associated with intermittent fasting. These changes have a favorable impact on the vascular endothelium and stress-induced cellular adaptation.RESULTS: Physiological alterations associated with fasting have profound implications for pathological mechanisms associated with dementias, particularly Alzheimer's disease. Compared with ad libitum feeding, caloric restriction in animals was associated with a reduction in-amyloid accumulation, which is the cardinal pathological marker of Alzheimer's disease. Animal studies have demonstrated synaptic adaptations in the hippocampus and enhanced cognitive function after fasting, consistent with these theoretical frameworks. Furthermore, vascular dysfunction plays a crucial role in Alzheimer's disease pathology, and intermittent fasting promotes vascular health.CONCLUSIONS: These observations lead to a hypothesis that intermittent fasting over the years will potentially reverse or delay the pathological process in Alzheimer's disease.

read more

04:47

The value of intermittent fasting and low carbohydrate diet in prediabetic patients for the prevention of cardiovascular diseases. GreenMedInfo

PMID:  Arq Bras Cardiol. 2023 ;120(4):e20220606. Epub 2023 Apr 7. PMID: 37042857 Abstract Title:  The Value of Intermittent Fasting and Low Carbohydrate Diet in Prediabetic Patients for the Prevention of Cardiovascular Diseases. Abstract:  BACKGROUND: Prediabetic patients are at increased risk for cardiovascular diseases and the development of microvascular and macrovascular complications. Intermittent fasting (IF) and low-carbohydrate diet (LCD) are promising dietary plans.OBJECTIVES: Our aims to analyze the benefits of IF combined with LCD on microvascular and macrovascular outcomes in prediabetic patients.METHODS: The study included 485 prediabetic patients with no history of cardiovascular diseases divided into group I: (n = 240 patients) who underwent IF (16 h IF 3-4 days per week) combined with LCD (

read more

04:44

Intermittent fasting modulates the intestinal microbiota and improves obesity and host energy metabolism. GreenMedInfo

PMID:  NPJ Biofilms Microbiomes. 2023 Apr 7 ;9(1):19. Epub 2023 Apr 7. PMID: 37029135 Abstract Title:  Intermittent fasting modulates the intestinal microbiota and improves obesity and host energy metabolism. Abstract:  Intermittent fasting (IF) is a promising paradigm for weight loss which has been shown to modulate the gut microbiota based on 16S rRNA gene amplicon sequencing. Here, 72 Chinese volunteers with a wide range of body mass index (BMI) participated in a three-week IF program during which an average loss of 3.67kg body weight accompanied with improved clinical parameters was observed irrespective of initial anthropometric and gut microbiota status. Fecal samples were collected before and after the intervention and subjected to shotgun metagenomic sequencing. De novo assembly yielded 2934 metagenome-assembled genomes (MAGs). Profiling revealed significant enrichment of Parabacteroides distasonis and Bacteroides thetaiotaomicron after the intervention, with inverse correlations between their relative abundances and parameters related to obesity and atherosclerotic cardiovascular diseases (ASCVD). MAGs enriched after the intervention showed high richness and diversity of carbohydrate-active enzymes, with an increased relative abundances of genes related to succinate production and glutamate fermentation.

read more

04:40

Long-term intermittent fasting improves neurological function by promoting angiogenesis after cerebral ischemia. GreenMedInfo

PMID:  PLoS One. 2023 ;18(3):e0282338. Epub 2023 Mar 30. PMID: 36996042 Abstract Title:  Long-term intermittent fasting improves neurological function by promoting angiogenesis after cerebral ischemia via growth differentiation factor 11 signaling activation. Abstract:  Intermittent fasting (IF), an alternative to caloric restriction, is a form of time restricted eating. IF conditioning has been suggested to have neuroprotective effects and potential long-term brain health benefits. But the mechanism underlying remains unclear. The present study focused on the cerebral angiogenesis effect of IF on ischemic rats. Using a rat middle cerebral artery occlusion model, we assessed neurological outcomes and various vascular parameters such as microvessel density (MVD), regional cerebral blood flow (rCBF), proliferation of endothelial cells (ECs), and functional vessels in the peri-infarct area. IF conditioning ameliorated the modified neurological severity score and adhesive removal test, increased MVD, and activated growth differentiation factor 11 (GDF11)/activin-like kinase 5 (ALK5) pathways in a time-dependent manner. In addition, long-term IF conditioning stimulated proliferation of ECs, promoted rCBF, and upregulated the total vessel surface area as well as the number of microvessel branch points through GDF11/ALK5 pathways. These data suggest that long-term IF conditioning improves neurological outcomes after cerebral ischemia, and that this positive effect is mediated partly by angiogenesis in the peri-infarct area and improvement of functional perfusion microvessels in part by activating the GDF11/ALK5 signaling pathway.

read more

04:29

Impact of intermittent fasting on the gut microbiota. GreenMedInfo

PMID:  Adv Biol (Weinh). 2023 Mar 22:e2200337. Epub 2023 Mar 22. PMID: 36950759 Abstract Title:  Impact of Intermittent Fasting on the Gut Microbiota: A Systematic Review. Abstract:  Obesity often results in severe negative health consequences and represents a growing issue for global health. Reducing food intake is a crucial factor for weight loss. Intermittent fasting is a relatively new intervention that contributes to weight reduction. Considering the intimate relationship between obesity and inflammatory pathologies with gut microbiota alterations, a systematic review of the literature was herein conducted to elucidate the relationship between time-restricted food intake and gut microbiota diversity in humans. Searches are carried out in three databases (PubMed, MedLine/OVID, and Academic Search Complete) between April 2019 and April 2022. Nine studies (all with longitudinal design) were identified as eligible by presenting data about the impact of intermittent fasting schemes on gut microbiota. At the phylum level, Firmicutes and Bacteroidetes increase throughout follow-ups, while 16 bacteria genera change their abundance in response to intermittent fasting. Finally, some genera associated with clinical predictors such as weight change, abdominal circumference, and metabolic variables were reported. Changes induced by fasting schemes positively impact the diversity and abundance of gut microbiota and the biomarkers described here. However, the changes previously reported have been studied in short periods and some return to their basal state after fasting intervention.

read more

02:43

This Controversial Root Improves Sex & Thyroid Hormones For Women While Influencing Serotonin (Happy Brain Chemistry Hormone) Levels Healthy Holistic Living

Ancient herbal practices, especially Ayurveda, have been deploying natural remedies for centuries to help with various health conditions. One such notable herb is Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera), often known as Indian ginseng or winter cherry.

Born from the rich soil of India, this root has seen increasing scientific interest due to its promising influence on sex hormones, serotonin levels, and thyroid function. This comprehensive guide delves into the plethora of health benefits offered by Ashwagandha, supported by scientific studies, historical facts, and intriguing statistics.

Ashwagandha: An Overview

Ashwagandha, with its rich history rooted in Ayurvedic medicine, is an adaptogenic herb that can help the body adapt to various stressors, both physical and emotional. Owing to its holistic impact on well-being, it has gained significant attention worldwide, with around 1.5 million people in the United States using it in 2018 source. This number is continuously rising, signifying the potential benefits of Ashwagandha.

Enhancing Sex Hormones

Ashwagandha has a profound influence on sexual function, offering a variety of benefits for both men and women.

In Women

• Boosting Libido: Studies show that Ashwagandha enhances womens sexual desire, potentially due to its adaptogenic properties that help manage stress.
  • Enhancing Performance: Regular supplementation has been found to improve sexual satisfaction, arousal, and lubrication, making for an improved overall sexual experience source.

In Men

• Increasing Testosterone: Ashwagandha can boost testosterone levels, thereby enhancing sexual desire, performance, and fertility source.
  • Improving Sperm Quality: It has also been found to enhance sperm count, motility, and morphology, promoting a healthier reproductive system.

By regulating sex hormones, Ashwagandha can potentially foster a harmonious sexual relationship, enhancing the overall quality of life.

Optimizing Thyroid Function

The thyroid, a small gland in the neck, plays a vital role in regulating the bodys metabolism and energy levels. Any imbalance in its functioning can cause various health issues. Luckily, Ashwagandha has shown promising results in improving thyroid function.

• Balancing Hormone Levels: Ashwagandha supplementation can normalize TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone) levels, contributing to improved thyroid health source.
  • Promoting Overall Vitality: By exerting a balancing effect, Ashwa...

01:09

Harnessing the Healing Power of Smart Stem Cells Derived From Human Fat Healthy Holistic Living

Recent research has uncovered a new type of smart stem cell known as Induced Multipotent Stem Cells (iMS), marking a significant step forward in the field of regenerative medicine. These iMS cells, derived from readily accessible human fat cells, have shown an impressive ability to adapt and transform in animal studies, thus demonstrating their potential for tissue repair1.

John Pimanda, a professor at UNSW Medicine & Health, explains that iMS cells are unique in their ability to respond to their environment. The idea that stem cells can respond and adapt to their surroundings to repair various types of damaged tissue is novel, and could lead to a paradigm shift in stem cell research and treatment strategies1.

The Generation of Smart Stem Cells

Scientists created iMS cells by exposing human fat cells to a compound mixture, which triggered a process that resulted in the cells losing their original identity and behaving like smart stem cells. Interestingly, these reprogrammed cells remained dormant when injected into mice, until an injury occurred. Following an injury, the cells adapted and transformed into the required tissue for repair.

iMS Cells: Adaptive Chameleons of Regenerative Medicine

Heres how these iMS cells are transformative in the field of regenerative medicine:

• Responsive to Surroundings: iMS cells behave like chameleons, responding to local cues and seamlessly blending into the tissue that needs healing.
  • Unprecedented Abilities: Unlike other stem cell technologies, iMS cells arent limited in their regenerative abilities and do not carry risks such as tumor development.
  • Patient-specific: Since iMS cells are derived from the patients own tissue, they significantly reduce the risk of rejection.
  • Wide Adaptation: iMS cells derived from adult tissue have shown the ability to adapt to a wide range of tissue types in mice, making them a kind of smart stem cell....

00:56

Why Did People Look Older In The Past? Healthy Holistic Living

You might have been perplexed while going through an old family photo album or watching classic television shows, finding yourself questioning why the seemingly young people in the past look much older than their actual ages. Is it just your perspective, or does it have a basis in reality? Intriguingly, according to a video from Vsauce, there is some validity to this notion. While part of this perception can be attributed to associating older looks with being aged, numerous factors like standards of living, healthcare advancements, and lifestyle choices also play substantial roles in how we perceive the age of people from the past.

Aging Across Decades:

Life in the past was notably different from how we live today, especially concerning standards of living and healthcare facilities. Higher living standards and better healthcare provision naturally affect the rate of aging. For instance, a person working in a contemporary, comfortable office environment is likely to age slower than a Victorian chimney sweep indulging in a daily smoking habit. Remarkably, even over a relatively short span, such as a few decades, these changes are noticeably reflected in aging patterns.

A Look at the Studies:

A comprehensive study conducted in 2018 investigated the relationship between biological aging and chronological age between 1988 and 2010. Biological age, determined by indicators such as blood pressure and lung functionality, was compared across the years. The study revealed considerable differences in aging over this short period, with newer generations appearing biologically younger than their predecessors.

The research noted, Over the past 20 years, the biological age of the U.S. population seems to have decreased for males and females across the age range. However, the degree of change has not been the same for men and women or by age. The study outlined that:

• Young males experienced more significant improvements than young females, possibly contributing to a reduction in early adult mortality and subsequently narrowing the gender mortality gap.
  • Improvements were larger for older adults than for younger ones.
  • Lifestyle factors like smoking significantly influenced these outcomes. The gap between men and womens biological ages diminished as male smoking rates declined and female rates increased.
  • Medication use also led to health improvements.

However, these factors couldnt fully explain t...

Saturday, 15 July

04:29

Should Branson Have Fluoridated Water? Experts on Both Sides Speak Fluoride Action Network

The Branson Board of Aldermen held a special meeting on Thursday to discuss fluoride in Branson water; several experts discussed the pros and cons of continuing to fluoridate water.

Dr. Gabriel K. Harr is a dentist in Branson who has practiced for close to a year in Branson and practiced in Kansas for close to five years. He said fluoridation is the single most effective way to guard against decay of the teeth. In my own personal experience moving here to Branson, we have well water, and my kids since weve been here have actually had a 30% in cavities in their own mouths, he said. He cited an American Dental Association study in support of fluoridation.

Harr also said this way of stopping tooth decay is cost effective and less than the cost of one filling. Harr concluded his time speaking by stating that, In my expert opinion, it would be in our best interest to continue with the fluoridation in our water system.

Bill Osmunson offered a different opinion.

Osmunson is a dentist with masters degree in public health. He has provided treatment for patients for close to 49 years. For the first quarter of a century, roughly, I promoted water fluoridation; I thought it was beneficial. However, what I was looking at was socioeconomics. The rich are healthier, and the healthier are richer, Osmunson said.

He said one issue is that people should have freedom to choose. There are different sources of fluoride. The dentist said if one wanted to force somebody to have the medication, then fluoridation is a good choice, except only about have the people drink the water anyway.

Another point Osmunson made is that swallowing fluoride isnt approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) or the Center for Drug Evaluation and Research (CDER). In other words, fluoride is a drug. Its intent is to prevent disease, and the Center for Drug Evaluation and Research has not approved it, saying that evidence is incomplete for efficacy, he added.

He also said that they didnt comment on dosage and safety. Osmunsons next point was that many are swallowing too much fluoride.

The dentist said close to two out of three people show a marker of excess fluoride ingestion. In addition, the expert said the benefit of ingesting it is questionable and is determined by how statistics are obtained.

O...

Friday, 14 July

04:21

Buffalo children needed major dental surgery after drinking defluorinated water, lawsuit says Fluoride Action Network

Sunday, 09 July

IndyWatch Health Watch Feed Archiver

IndyWatch Health Watch Feed was generated at Community Resources IndyWatch.

Resource generated at IndyWatch using aliasfeed and rawdog