IndyWatch DIY and Building Feed Archiver

Go Back:30 Days | 7 Days | 2 Days | 1 Day

IndyWatch DIY and Building Feed Today.

Go Forward:1 Day | 2 Days | 7 Days | 30 Days

IndyWatch DIY and Building Feed was generated at Community Resources IndyWatch.

Thursday, 27 July

05:12

The Saudi Arabia Exhibit at the Venice Architecture Biennale Natural Building Blog

This years Venice Architecture Biennale has as its theme The Laboratory of the Future. The laboratory part of the title suggests experimentation and radical rethinking.

The National Pavilion of Saudi Arabia shows a series of more traditional yet still alluring spaces with arches on either side of a rectangular central room that feels almost cave-like and prehistoric. Inside the dimly lit central space is just one object a hollow 3D-printed clay column from which light is projected on to the floor, walls and ceiling. The patterns are  inspired by undulating desert dunes and the vernacular architecture of Asir, a region in the south-west of the country that consists of coastal plains and high mountains.

This object will be relocated to the bottom of the Red Sea eventually, where they will create new habitats for marine life and leave a legacy for future generations.

It is in this long cavernous central space that one can also smell a fragrance created specifically for the pavilion. It was designed to capture elements of the culture, explains the assistant curator. We have frankincense, which was a core element of our trade routes, we have myrrh and we also have lavender. Its our way of introducing Saudi Arabia to the world. When we talk about architecture we always forget the unseen and focus on the visual.

The curators of the Saudi pavilion are keen to emphasize that the pavilion is a collaborative effort that seeks to finds common ground in its desire to improve the human condition and answer the challenges confronting our world. In practice, what thi...

01:00

Review: BeagleCam V2 3D Printer Camera Make: DIY Projects and Ideas for Makers

Review: BeagleCam V2 3D Printer Camera

Manufacturer: Minton Price: $89 URL: https://www.mintion.net/products/mintion-beagle-v2-3d-printer-camera 10% off, if you use the amazon link http://bitly.ws/Kgat The printer device. It offers the ability to control your printer remotely, que up jobs, see what is happening in real-time, and record time lapse videos. Unbox and setup Inside the box are []

The post Review: BeagleCam V2 3D Printer Camera appeared first on Make: DIY Projects and Ideas for Makers.

Wednesday, 26 July

18:09

How to Build a Paver Patio Rogue Engineer

DIY Paver Patio 2

By Jamison Rantz

On our barn/workshop we have a covered porch that gets used quite a bit. The covered area is a place to store my grill and transport material into the workshop. But it has also become a place to store bikes and other things, leaving us little space to entertain outside. To expand that area for storage and my new Pit Boss grill we decided to build a paver patio. I learned a ton throughout the process of researching and completing this project and I thought it was important to put together a thorough guide for others to learn. Read on to see exactly how it all came together!

Full Project Video

18:09

Small Privacy Fence Rogue Engineer

DIY Small Privacy Fence 1

By Jamison Rantz

We recently built a paver patio beside our barn to create more space for grilling and storage. The patio turned out great but the AC unit is directly behind it and we wanted to build a small privacy fence out of composite decking to hide it from view. This was a super simple and quick project and it turned out great!

Full Paver Patio & Privacy Fence Project Video

04:07

Square Outdoor Dining Table for 8 - Build It! Recent Project Plans

square outdoor table for 8

square outdoor dining table for 8

Why I Love this Square Outdoor Dining Table

• Simple design, perfect with metal, wicker, fabric covered or wood outdoor chairs
  • Seats 8 comfortably
  • Beautiful wood design, adds texture and warmth to outdoor space
  • Durable cedar top
  • Easy to build
  • Heavy and substantial - won't blow away in normal winds
  • Perfect when paired with a large umbrella

How I Built my Square Outdoor Dining Table for 8

The plans for this table are below, but I wanted to also share some photos of the build steps.

attach table aprons to legs with pocket holes

I used pocket holes to attach the aprons to the legs.  I used 4x4s for the legs and 2x4s for the aprons.

build two legs sets as shown

It's easy to build - just build two of the leg sets -

attach leg sets together

Then make the table frame by adding the remaining aprons.

table frame complete

To support the cedar fence pickets, I added inner 2x4 supports.  This makes the table super substantial.

add supports and stain base

Here's the umbrella framing I did.

ORB-sessed LED Sphere Make: DIY Projects and Ideas for Makers

ORB-sessed LED Sphere

Squaring the circle is a mathematical challenge as old as geometry itself. The Cube Orb LED sphere inverts that goal and takes it to a new dimension. Notably, this spectacular project achieves its orbicular objective using only standard, easy to ORB-tain electronic components and 3D-printed parts. Ever since I saw Jiri Praus fantastic freeform-soldered LED sphere, []

The post ORB-sessed LED Sphere appeared first on Make: DIY Projects and Ideas for Makers.

Tuesday, 25 July

04:50

From the Earth Up: Building with Adobe, Cob, & Daub Natural Building Blog

Witness the interplay of earth, water, and straw to create in-fill walls for a hand-crafted timber frame structure. Stone, clay, bamboo and straw are combined to create beautifully finished walls.

Many hands come together, to gather stones, make adobes, mix cob, harvest bamboo to build natural walls that are durable and breathable.

Multiple methods of cob, adobe blocks and wattle & daub are combined to create a unique mi...

OpenPipes Revolutionizes the DIY Pipe Organs Make: DIY Projects and Ideas for Makers

close view of pipe organ keys with electronic display

Note: If you are considering a vacation in Italy in October, remember that Maker Faire Rome The European Edition, one of the worlds largest Maker Faires, will be taking place in Rome from the 20th to the 22nd. If youve ever dreamed of playing a majestic pipe organ but thought it was out of reach, []

The post OpenPipes Revolutionizes the DIY Pipe Organs appeared first on Make: DIY Projects and Ideas for Makers.

IndyWatch DIY and Building Feed Archiver

IndyWatch DIY and Building Feed was generated at Community Resources IndyWatch.

Resource generated at IndyWatch using aliasfeed and rawdog